Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armed Neutrality posted:

Holy poo poo the kindle Sunday edition of NYT is fantastic for just 99 cents. A dream come true for expats! :)

It seems like the NYT for the sony store is only Monday-Friday for single issue purchase.

Anyone know if you get the Sunday Edition if you subscribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
To those who have bought it, does the NYT on the Kindle come with a workable crossword puzzle?

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend's looking at getting a Nook. Missed some sales in the past few weeks coz she wasn't quick enough on the trigger. Know of any sales coming up soon? Is the 3G worth the extra $50?

I have the 3G version and I don't think it's worth it, really. It would be if i traveled extensively away from Wifi i guess, but I don't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Adonis posted:

I have the 3G version and I don't think it's worth it, really. It would be if i traveled extensively away from Wifi i guess, but I don't.
I didn't even consider it because the places where I would use a device like this are either a) covered by wifi too (home, campus, a starbucks or something), or b) NOT covered by 3G (airplane).

edit: and inside the realm of places I would use it, there's an even SMALLER realm of places where I would actually need to download a new book or something, rather than just reading offline.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Evil Vin posted:

So I'm looking at the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro, which is $100 on Newegg, anyone got any experience? It's either that or see if I can get a better ereader for around the same price on SA-Mart.

I don't know if they were refurbs or returns or what but my local Kohls had a couple of these in the clearance section (hidden at the back of kitchenware department) for about $40 or so.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I was wondering if any Canadians had some Canadian specific advice? My father is planning to buy my mother an e-reader for Christmas and has been looking at the Kobo because it's what he sees at Chapters all the time.

From what I read here and other places, the Kobo is a pretty poor cousin to the nook/kindle or even the newer sony products (though the nook isn't available here anyway) She certainly has no need for 3G, so that's not an issue. I honestly think the nook would be the best fit if they sold it here as she'd probably hit up the library consistently.

Edit: Err, well now that I do another fresh search it seems that Amazon has stopped shipping the kindle to Canada because of nebulous supply problems.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Kindle opening reactions:

:3: It's so TINY
:keke: Let me just remove this sticker...
:aaaaa: That...that's not a sticker

Is that same reaction what the thread title is referring to?

This thing is amazing-- the quality of the screen is dazzling, surprising even after having read dozens of reviews singing its praises. The size, weight and feel is perfect.. the idea of an electronic book seemed really really dumb until I picked up a Kindle for the first time and started flicking through the user guide.

The Kindle is also incredibly dangerous. I found, purchased and downloaded a book in about a minute and a half-- my wallet is screwed.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Suntory BOSS posted:

I guess so. When I showed my eReader (Sony PRS650) to my sister she just went "meh, so you can read books on a thing", but when I turned the page she suddenly went "wow, I thought that was a sticker".

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Suntory BOSS posted:

The Kindle is also incredibly dangerous. I found, purchased and downloaded a book in about a minute and a half-- my wallet is screwed.

Yeah it is way too easy to purchase books...luckily most of the books are cheaper than the physical copies.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Toast posted:

I was wondering if any Canadians had some Canadian specific advice? My father is planning to buy my mother an e-reader for Christmas and has been looking at the Kobo because it's what he sees at Chapters all the time.

From what I read here and other places, the Kobo is a pretty poor cousin to the nook/kindle or even the newer sony products (though the nook isn't available here anyway) She certainly has no need for 3G, so that's not an issue. I honestly think the nook would be the best fit if they sold it here as she'd probably hit up the library consistently.

Edit: Err, well now that I do another fresh search it seems that Amazon has stopped shipping the kindle to Canada because of nebulous supply problems.

For myself, I ended up with the Sony PRS 650. Its a little more money than the Kindle, but has a couple features that I really liked. Only downside is that you lose out on the wireless with the Sony. I didnt think it was much of an issue, I had no intention of using an ebook reader for internet browsing with the gimped browser features anyways, and Ive never needed a book so badly I couldnt wait to actually be at my computer to download it.

Still for the added price I think wireless should be in there, or the device could be cheaper. The IR touchscreen is really nice, and I like the aluminum case the Sony is made out of. Expandable memory was something I wanted for sure, and the Kindle didnt have it. The whole formfactor is better in my opinion because you dont have to deal with the keyboard. Makes the device smaller, easier to hold I think. Weighs a little less than the Kindle as well. Same screen as the Kindle, the newest "pearl" eink or whatever, so the devices are the same screen wise. And its a really nice screen at that.

I wouldnt bother with the Kobo myself, the real choice came down to either the Sony or the Kindle. Kindle had a long wait, expected delivery was sometime deep in January. Sony I was able to walk into Futureshop pick one up, and walk out a few minutes later.

I'd reiterate though what some others have said and agree that the provided Sony software is garbage. I installed it, used it about twice and then got rid of it. Calibre is much better, and interfaces with the Sony excellently.

So thats my two cents for a Canadian perspective I guess. Sony PRS 650 + Calibre is pretty awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suntory BOSS posted:

This thing is amazing-- the quality of the screen is dazzling, surprising even after having read dozens of reviews singing its praises. The size, weight and feel is perfect.. the idea of an electronic book seemed really really dumb until I picked up a Kindle for the first time and started flicking through the user guide.

Haha, I just got mine today too, but like I said before, I knew what to expect since I messed around with my friend's.

I wish the PDF reader had size options between screen fit and 150%. The documents I have to read all have really wide margins, but they always have some title text that goes right up against the upper left hand corner, and thus the Kindle can't automatically scale it to just the text I want to see. Holding it sideways makes it readable though.

Actual Kindle books are great to read though. I immediately went and grabbed the collected works of Mark Twain for $1.60 or so, I had been meaning to read a lot of those. But I suppose this PDF book on linguistic field methods must come first...

edit: I futzed around with stuff in Calibre and the best I can do is make the text readable but with spaces, line breaks and indents strewn all over every page.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 14, 2010

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I hope one day my standby screen can display whichever Sci-Fi novel I'm in the middle of reading instead of Mark Twain's face :allears:

edit; Read the OP and found the screen saver hack...awesome

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 14, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Badass

The nook color is getting Android 2.2 and the Android Marketplace in January officially from Barnes and Noble.

That makes it even relevant to Kindle people since you'll be able to run the Kindle app on it.

This has instantly become the best Android tablet on the market. I wonder though how they are going to handle the lack of physical buttons.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Badass

The nook color is getting Android 2.2 and the Android Marketplace in January officially from Barnes and Noble.

That makes it even relevant to Kindle people since you'll be able to run the Kindle app on it.

This has instantly become the best Android tablet on the market. I wonder though how they are going to handle the lack of physical buttons.

Awesome. I talked to one of their tech support people about opening it up to the entire Android market and he said he didn't think they were going to. Glad he was wrong!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

So my company gave each of us a Nook Color for Christmas. I'm pretty impressed with it so far, although I have a regular Nook as well and can honestly say I like reading on the e-ink screen better.

Anyway, I'll be putting my regular Nook up on SA-Mart tonight. It's just the wireless model, no 3G, is in perfect condition and comes with a pretty nice case. $100 shipped for the whole deal I think is pretty fair.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

bull3964 posted:

Badass

Holy poo poo. I was going to get a CNook anyway, but now...:fap:

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Badass

With no 3g radio, and no physical or always-present virtual Android buttons, there is absolutely no way you're getting the official Android Marketplace on it. Google simply won't allow that although obviously if you hack it you can get the official Market. And I also really doubt it's going to be anywhere close to stock 2.2.

Take note that the sources the article links to mention things like "customized Market" "may not have access to all apps", etc, all indications it's not the real Market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Trig Discipline posted:

Awesome. I talked to one of their tech support people about opening it up to the entire Android market and he said he didn't think they were going to. Glad he was wrong!

Well, in the source link it says that they might still limit some aspects of market access. It does appear as though it will not be some B&N market only, it will be the actual android market.

It's all very vague though. Remember, the Nook Color is a tablet without any capability for audio input. Whey they say they may limit the market, it may simply be that they are excluding apps that require hardware that the nook color lacks. It's really hard to say at this point.

Still though, providing a full regular Froyo interface on it's own is huge. There will always be other ways to get apps on to the thing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 14, 2010

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

madprocess posted:

With no 3g radio, and no physical or always-present virtual Android buttons, there is absolutely no way you're getting the official Android Marketplace on it. Google simply won't allow that although obviously if you hack it you can get the official Market. And I also really doubt it's going to be anywhere close to stock 2.2.

Take note that the sources the article links to mention things like "customized Market" "may not have access to all apps", etc, all indications it's not the real Market.

I have a rooted NC with a hacked Market, and the current workaround is a SoftKey program that overlays software Back/Home/Menu keys when you press a symbol that's overlaid over all programs.

I doubt they'll do something like that for official though.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Well, in the source link it says that they might still limit some aspects of market access. It does appear as though it will not be some B&N market only though, it will be the actual android market.

It's all very vague though. Remember, the Nook Color is a tablet without any capability for audio input. Whey they say they may limit the market, it may simply be that they are excluding apps that require hardware that the nook color lacks. It's really hard to say at this point.

Still though, providing a full regular Froyo interface on it's own is huge. There will always be other ways to get apps on to the thing.

That's not the actual market then, though. And if they're limiting what's In there I'm pretty sure any apps like Kindle will be locked out.

I don't see any evidence that they'll provide the full regular Froyo interface, it seems far more likely it will be like MOTOBlur or HTC Sense or that Sony Xperia piece of poo poo on top of 2.2, not the stock 2.2 stuff.

Kazy posted:

I have a rooted NC with a hacked Market, and the current workaround is a SoftKey program that overlays software Back/Home/Menu keys when you press a symbol that's overlaid over all programs.

I doubt they'll do something like that for official though.

Yeah, Google won't allow that method if you want to be officially Google approved with access to all the Google applications including the Market and Gmail, etc.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Stop ruining my boner with your stupid facts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

madprocess posted:

That's not the actual market then, though.

Every Android device in existence doesn't have access to the full market though. Every phone carrier has the ability to (and frequently does) block apps. If full access to apps is the criteria for "actual market" then no device has the actual market. It will not likely have the market app that google distributes on phones, but indications from the source link are that there will be actual market apps available and not just B&N apps.

quote:

I don't see any evidence that they'll provide the full regular Froyo interface, it seems far more likely it will be like MOTOBlur or HTC Sense or that Sony Xperia piece of poo poo on top of 2.2, not the stock 2.2 stuff.

It was explicitly mentioned in the source article that it would provide access to the "typical Android homescreen" that could be toggled with the nook color interface. There was no mention of excessive skinning or anything else.

At any rate, there's not much point in arguing over it until the update comes out. It's pointless to talk in absolutes though when it comes to android as Google can, and frequently does, change the rules mid game.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Every Android device in existence doesn't have access to the full market though. Every phone carrier has the ability to (and frequently does) block apps. If full access to apps is the criteria for "actual market" then no device has the actual market. It will not likely have the market app that google distributes on phones, but indications from the source link are that there will be actual market apps available and not just B&N apps.

It was explicitly mentioned in the source article that it would provide access to the "typical Android homescreen" that could be toggled with the nook color interface. There was no mention of excessive skinning or anything else.

At any rate, there's not much point in arguing over it until the update comes out. It's pointless to talk in absolutes though when it comes to android as Google can, and frequently does, change the rules mid game.

Lots of tablet makers have custom markets that aren't the actual market, but include a lot of market apps.

The typical Android homescreen is also present in Sense and MotoBlur, though. That doesn't make them the actual unadulterated 2.2 experience. The fact that the nook color lacks the buttons alone means 2.2 without alterations would be pretty much unworkable, and I don't see why B&N would drop all of their UI design from the current release either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They aren't dropping their UI design. It said right in the source link that you could toggle between traditional android and the Nook Color UI.

It simply looks as if they are 'unwrapping' the underlying OS and allowing the end user access to it if they so choose.

Don't discount the touch strip with the nook symbol. It would be trivial for them to use gestures to make up for the lack of buttons in a way that would be transparent to the underlying OS. Touch for home, swipe back for back, swipe up for menu, etc.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2010

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

The Source Article posted:

http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blog/6847/nook-color-getting-android-22-treatment-january

I spoke today with a Barnes & Noble representative who showed me the forthcoming update on his company Nook which is slated for this January. The 2.2 Android update is a game changer and literally turns the e-reader into a near full Android tablet device.

The 2.2 update, or overhaul if you prefer, will give you access to a retooled Android Market, the typical Android home screen and even has pinch zooming with the browser. The Android Market app was still under development and was not on the device to see. I was told that Nook users may not have access to the full market. The Nook I looked at had apps loaded via the SD card slot and seemed to run fine. The device will still give you access to all of your Nook material via the current interface that will be swicthable for the user.

The update addresses performance and battery life concerns according to the rep I spoke to. The update on his Nook was still in beta so it lacked some polish but seemed to work smoother than the stock device. The graphics performance still seemed sluggish even with 2.2 when scrolling through magazines and web pages.
Here's the info from the actual source itself (instead of a tiny blurb in the linked article above). So it will be a "retooled Android market" which still sounds like what B&N has been saying the whole time really. I'm getting a N-Color for Christmas and this news only makes me more excited. I really like the device for the blend of e-reader and tablet... but with the hopeful addition of some sort of e-mail app it will accomplish everything I ever wanted to do with an iPad.

After that they just need to make PDFs "turn pages" instead of scroll up and down so that all reading formats give you the same experience.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Sedgr posted:

So thats my two cents for a Canadian perspective I guess. Sony PRS 650 + Calibre is pretty awesome.

Thanks, I'm not sure but the lack of wireless may be a dealbreaker for her. I'll see what he thinks.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

mintskoal posted:

Anyway, I'll be putting my regular Nook up on SA-Mart tonight. It's just the wireless model, no 3G, is in perfect condition and comes with a pretty nice case. $100 shipped for the whole deal I think is pretty fair.

Aw man I JUST put the regular Nook on my Christmas list- I almost bought it myself, but no matter what my mom always ends up emailing or calling me a week before Christmas to say hey can you put more stuff on your list. So I figured, so I don't kick myself for not just sucking it up and buying one on Black Friday... put it on the list, what's another week and a half. And now this!

It's like the ebook reader universe is trying to punish me for the crusade I've been leading against it for so long.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Every Android device in existence doesn't have access to the full market though.

Other than Verizon-exclusive apps, there's nothing I am blocked from downloading.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Other than Verizon-exclusive apps, there's nothing I am blocked from downloading.

So would you say that you don't have access to the full market?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

withak posted:

Yeah, that kind of just proved my point.

oldy
Feb 23, 2006

well let me tell you this, I am shamelessly self-involved
My Kindle 3 does this annoying thing where when I'm browsing the Kindle Store, maybe 50% of the time I click a link or make a search, it just goes back to the Store start page instead. I press back to get where I was, and it generally works if I try again, but it's really annoying.

Anyone else having this issue?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

withak posted:

That would be a stupid thing to say, as the Verizon Exclusives are in addition to the actual market, not part of it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

oldy posted:

My Kindle 3 does this annoying thing where when I'm browsing the Kindle Store, maybe 50% of the time I click a link or make a search, it just goes back to the Store start page instead. I press back to get where I was, and it generally works if I try again, but it's really annoying.

Anyone else having this issue?

Just to make sure, you're clicking the middle of the directional pad to click links, not using the return key, right? The return key refreshes the page in some situations.

oldy
Feb 23, 2006

well let me tell you this, I am shamelessly self-involved

Ara posted:

Just to make sure, you're clicking the middle of the directional pad to click links, not using the return key, right? The return key refreshes the page in some situations.

...haha, no, I've mostly been using the return key. What situations? (I'm going to look it up now as well)

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20025613-1.html

Part of the reason that "SmartPhoneMag" announcement for the Nook Color was so vague and hyperbolic was because most of it was bullshit. I'm sure the updates won't take long, though. B&N has to be loving all of the extremely positive press around their new device, they don't want that to die down.

Out of curiosity, what would a device like the Nook Color cost to manufacture? Are they actually making any money off of the hardware itself or are they doing the console thing and hoping to make the money on software/ebooks?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Would that color nook be an LCD?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FidgetyRat posted:

Would that color nook be an LCD?

Yes, color e-ink is still a ways away

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

oldy posted:

...haha, no, I've mostly been using the return key. What situations? (I'm going to look it up now as well)

I'm honestly not sure when it refreshes. I think it might be when the current page hasn't completely loaded yet.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'll be getting a Kindle 3 for Christmas. If I want to convert TXT, RTF or HTML to Mobi, is there anything in Calibre's settings I should be looking out for? There are quite a lot of options on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I think it can tell what's plugged into it and will automatically convert when you send the files to the Kindle (no need to pre-convert). It did with me anyway.

Otherwise click on Preferences>(Conversion)Common Options>Page Setup

Choose Kindle in the top box.

Calibre is extremely powerful, unfortunately it's GUI is terrible and some of the more useful functions have to be done via command window (calibredb catalog export.csv).