Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

New announcements tomorrow. Any speculation? I have a feeling we're in for a couple of nice surprises.

I keep hoping for Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle.

We can probably expect another Chaplin. I'm guessing it'll be either City Lights or The Kid, but The Great Dictator wouldn't surprise me. I just hope to God it's not Limelight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

I just hope to God it's not Limelight.

Why wouldn't you want it to be Chaplin's best film?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

I keep hoping for Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle.

They'll announce their release of The Illusionist, a grand entrance into animated film publishing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

I just hope to God it's not Limelight.

What do you have against Limelight? I love Limelight. I even like the name. Limelight.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Has Swimming to Cambodia ever been floated as a possible Criterion?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why wouldn't you want it to be Chaplin's best film?

It's not terrible, but it's not that good either. Maybe I need to give it another look after all, since it's been at least 5-6 years. I'd just rather have his films from earlier than that. Then again, I thought A King in New York was good and everyone else seems to hate it.

zenintrude posted:

They'll announce their release of The Illusionist, a grand entrance into animated film publishing.

That would be a great choice, especially if released among Tati's own films. I'd like to know why Criterion has "avoided" animation considering there's a lot of stuff that isn't getting released anyways. Lionsgate has been sitting on the Max Fleischer library since 1995, back from the Artisan days. I can't imagine Criterion being flat-out denied considering there's no underlying rights issues and the majority have been restored or preserved by UCLA in the 1990s.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Has Swimming to Cambodia ever been floated as a possible Criterion?

Grey's Anatomy has, but I have not heard anything about that one.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rashomon is a strong possibility, if not this month then within the next few months. Same goes for Mr. Hulot's Holiday, but I already have the BFI Blu-Ray and I don't see how Criterion could possibly improve on the transfer (although the BFI disc is barebones, sadly).

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Limelight is godawful, but really they couldn't announce a Chaplin I would want to purchase anyway. I'd get momentarily excited for The Circus and then just decide to rent it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, definitely some surprising picks this month.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah, will be posting details in a minute...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#557 - THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK (double DVD/BR - Mar 22)

•Director-approved digital transfer, from the meticulous UCLA Film and Television Archive restoration (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary featuring director Robert Epstein,coeditor Deborah Hoffmann, and photographer Daniel Nicoletta
•New interview with documentary filmmaker and UC Berkeley professor Jon Else
•New program about The Times of Harvey Milk and Gus Van Sant’s Milk, featuring Epstein, Van Sant, actor James Franco, and Milk friends Cleve Jones, Anne Kronenberg, and Nicoletta
•Postscript containing interview clips not used in the film
•Rare collection of audio and video recordings of Harvey Milk
•Interview excerpts from Epstein’s research tapes
•Footage from the film’s Castro Theatre premiere and the 1984 Academy Awards ceremony
•Panel discussion on Supervisor Dan White’s controversial trial
•Excerpts from the twenty-fifth anniversary commemoration of Milk’s and Mayor George Moscone’s assassinations
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic B. RubyRich, a tribute by Milk’s nephew Stuart Milk, and a piece on the film’s restoration by the UCLA Film and Television Archive’s Ross Lipman

#558 - TOPSY-TURVY (double DVD/BR - Mar 29)

•Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Dick Pope (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh
•New video conversation between Leigh and the film’s musical director, Gary Yershon
•A Sense of History, Leigh’s 1992 short film written by and starring actor Jim Broadbent
•Deleted scenes
•Featurette from 1999 including interviews with Leigh, stars Broadbent and Allan Corduner, and other cast members
•Theatrical trailer and TV spots
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Amy Taubin

#559 - THE MIKADO (DVD/BR - Mar 29)

•Newly remastered digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New video interview with Topsy-Turvy director Mike Leigh on The Mikado and its adaptation for the screen
•New video interview with Mikado scholars Josephine Lee and Ralph MacPhail Jr., tracing the 1939 filmed version of the opera back to its 1885 stage debut
•More!
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

#330 - AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS (BR - Mar 15)
#339 - YI YI (BR - Mar 15)

(same as previous DVD releases)

ECLIPSE SERIES 26 - SILENT NARUSE (3-disc DVD - Mar 22)

* Flunky, Work Hard
* No Blood Relation
* Apart From You
* Every-Night Dreams
* Street Without End

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My cousin, a big Gilbert & Sullivan fan, will be thrilled. But this is another "meh" month for me. Harvey Milk, Topsy-Turvy and Au Revoir are all good films that I have no interest in owning or even really renting again. I didn't like Yi Yi, but I've been meaning to give it a second chance so that'll be a rental. Never seen The Mikado, so another rental there.

Which again leaves the Eclipse set as the most compelling of the bunch. I really like Naruse and I've never seen any of his silents, so I'm looking forward to it. Definite rental, possible future purchase.

At least I'll be saving some money.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Completely dead month for me.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Yeah, not really interested in anything for March. October and November spoiled me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I've been wanting to see Topsy-Turvy for a while so I'll be waiting for that and the Eclipse set looks interesting. Harvey Milk is good, but not something I imagine ever wanting to watch again and The Mikado doesn't sound all that interesting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Well that was a bust.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why would a 1984 film need restoration? :raise:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A lot can happen to a film in 26 years.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A lot can happen to a film in 26 years.

Indeed... heck, look what happened to Star Wars in just 20 years!

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Well the only thing I'm really glad about is that I didn't buy Au Revior during the last BN sale, because I was seriously considering it. That's the only one for me this time around, though.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Definitely going to buy the Times of Harvey Milk. One of my favorite docs. And The Mikado is a maybe.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Well, after watching Topsy Turvy about a year ago, it made me really want to see The Mikado. However, having seen Topsy Turvy, it really made me not want to watch Topsy Turvy again.

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
Why do I feel like I'm the only person that loves Topsy-Turvey?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Not a very exciting slate for 2011 releases so far. Might grab that Silent Naruse set at the next B&N sale though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like a loaf of bread in a bucket of flour. Nothing leaping to mind.

EDIT: oh poo poo, I bet it's A Moment of Innocence (also known as "Bread and Flower"). Sweet!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 16, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone on cf.org just suggested Pale Flower ("Pail Flour") which is probably correct. drat.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Not an overwhelming month but at least they're releasing non-canonical stuff, I suppose. Still, WHERE IS MY BLU-RAY OF FANNY & ALEXANDER :argh:

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
Yi Yi on Blu-ray. I am going to buy the biggest television there is.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Found Breathless in the used DVD section for $15 the other day, making that my first actual criterion. Man, these things are amazing. Im thinking of asking for one for Christmas, but I was wondering which one to get next:

8 1/2
House
Paris, Texas

I wanna stay on the cheap-ish side, but I was wondering which has the best packaging, longevity, whatever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

8 1/2 is the more "important" film and has a pretty thorough set of extras. However, if you haven't seen the movie before, it could be a gamble. House would be a "safer" pick, as it's extremely entertaining.

I'm not personally a fan of Paris, Texas.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

8 1/2 is the more "important" film and has a pretty thorough set of extras. However, if you haven't seen the movie before, it could be a gamble. House would be a "safer" pick, as it's extremely entertaining.

I'm not personally a fan of Paris, Texas.

I didn't know you weren't much into Paris, Texas. Not to derail, but what about it doesn't tickle your fancy? I found it quite stirring. Are you a fan of Wenders in general?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

I didn't know you weren't much into Paris, Texas. Not to derail, but what about it doesn't tickle your fancy? I found it quite stirring. Are you a fan of Wenders in general?

Here's my old review:

Cheap symbolism, cheap quirky gimmicks (these must be more lame stories about amnesia than actual cases of amnesia), cheap dramatics. I don't care much for Harry Dean Stanton in the first place, his sad sack routine gets tiresome. The film sets up a melancholy little mystery for which the payoff is beyond disappointing. Nothing that happens in the entire movie feels genuine. It's not boring, but it sure isn't very satisfying. Some nice visuals, though. Rating: 4

As for Wenders in general... I very much like Wings of Desire; Alice in the Cities and Kings of the Road are both pretty good; was kind of "meh" about The American Friend. Haven't seen anything else.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Fair enough. I thought the restraint may have felt a bit forced and I can see why you would label Paris, Texas a gimmicky film -- I thought it was excellent for my own reasons.

I can agree that Wings of Desire is a terrific movie, though.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Has there been an established reason Criterion hasn't or won't release any Greenaway films yet?

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
There needs to be a Lord of the Rings Criterion Collection.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ZackHoagie posted:

Has there been an established reason Criterion hasn't or won't release any Greenaway films yet?

They were all set to do Cook Thief Wife Lover but it fell through. Presumably for some sort of legal reasons.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

hatersg2haet posted:

There needs to be a Lord of the Rings Criterion Collection.

Yes, they should do Avatar and The Dark Knight too.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If Inception does not earn a spine number it will be the gravest cinematic injustice of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

If Inception does not earn a spine number it will be the gravest cinematic injustice of all time.

They never reply to me about my daily requests for The Boondock Saints. :(