Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
A PC store near me has started selling Sandy Bridge cpus/mbs, a month early :raise:

Intel Core i5 2300 LGA1155 CPU 2.8Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/4T Turbo Boost $259.00
Intel Core i5 2400 LGA1155 CPU 3.1Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/4T Turbo Boost SB2400 $279.00
Intel Core i7 2600 LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/8T Turbo Boost SB2600 $429.00

Prices are in AUD, motherboards range from $130-$400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What will the availability be like at launch? Will there be plenty of them to go around or will it be slim pickings?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

What will the availability be like at launch? Will there be plenty of them to go around or will it be slim pickings?

It's definitely a hard launch, but rest assured, Newegg and co. will gouge for a few weeks before prices settle. I'd be a little more worried about mobo availability, once the first few AnandTech/similar reviews come out recommending a certain board(s) at a certain pricepoint, they sell out reaaaaly fast.

Question, because I'm ignorant and skipped Core-iX: i5 and i3s use dual-channel DDR3, i7s use triple-channel? So usually 4 or...6 slots? 6x2GB sounds good, but I feel OCing would be easier with 3x4GB (or does that not matter anymore because there is no FSB to overclock anymore, and no memory straps to worry about? I feel so out of date :smith:)

e: Any goons with a Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme know about mounting adapter availability?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

movax posted:

It's definitely a hard launch, but rest assured, Newegg and co. will gouge for a few weeks before prices settle. I'd be a little more worried about mobo availability, once the first few AnandTech/similar reviews come out recommending a certain board(s) at a certain pricepoint, they sell out reaaaaly fast.

Question, because I'm ignorant and skipped Core-iX: i5 and i3s use dual-channel DDR3, i7s use triple-channel? So usually 4 or...6 slots? 6x2GB sounds good, but I feel OCing would be easier with 3x4GB (or does that not matter anymore because there is no FSB to overclock anymore, and no memory straps to worry about? I feel so out of date :smith:)

e: Any goons with a Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme know about mounting adapter availability?

All the benchmarks I have seen indicate that dual vs triple channel isn't going to make a difference because your cpu can't use all that memory bandwidth. Once we start seeing 6 and 8 core i7's then it will probably matter, but not at the moment. Maybe you'll start hitting limits of a dual-channel config if you start really overclocking the hell out of it, but then you can just drop in that 3rd dimm and get ever more bandwidth. I seriously doubt it will provide any performance benefit to screw around with memory FSB until we start getting in to 6 and 8 core home systems.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

movax posted:

Question, because I'm ignorant and skipped Core-iX: i5 and i3s use dual-channel DDR3, i7s use triple-channel?
Not exactly no. All i3 and i5s are dual channel, but some i7s are dual channel some are tri-channel. Anything 1156 is dual channel, anything 1366 is tri-channel.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gotcha. So don't worry too much about dual or triple, just wait and see what mobo I'll end up getting. Will start out with 8 most likely, unless I find a really nice price on RAM in which case I'll happily go up to 12.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

movax posted:

My P67A-UD4 is already on the way. :) Just waiting on a 2500K.

i7-8xx use dual channel (s1156/s1155)
i7-9xx use triple channel (s1366)
i9-9xx (Whatever they go with) will use quad channel (s2011, H2'2011)

Get a s1156 mounting adapter, its the same specs as s1155.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ilkhan posted:

My P67A-UD4 is already on the way. :) Just waiting on a 2500K.

i7-8xx use dual channel (s1156/s1155)
i7-9xx use triple channel (s1366)
i9-9xx (Whatever they go with) will use quad channel (s2011, H2'2011)

Get a s1156 mounting adapter, its the same specs as s1155.

Didn't know 6 Series boards were out yet...time to do some shopping/drooling! Will look into a 1156 mounting adapter, thanks. No sense in replacing a perfectly good block of copper.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

movax posted:

Didn't know 6 Series boards were out yet...time to do some shopping/drooling! Will look into a 1156 mounting adapter, thanks. No sense in replacing a perfectly good block of copper.
Officially they're not. ;)
buy.com had it in a not-in-catalog page, but google shopper found it. I'm kind've worried about it being not the right one, but not too much.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Murodese posted:

A PC store near me has started selling Sandy Bridge cpus/mbs, a month early :raise:

Intel Core i5 2300 LGA1155 CPU 2.8Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/4T Turbo Boost $259.00
Intel Core i5 2400 LGA1155 CPU 3.1Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/4T Turbo Boost SB2400 $279.00
Intel Core i7 2600 LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Sandy Bridge 4C/8T Turbo Boost SB2600 $429.00

Prices are in AUD, motherboards range from $130-$400
Hmm, I better check up on MSY and CPL. A bit early for a new PC for me though. Maybe Feb.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

movax posted:

If that's the case I might just wait until my birthday and upgrade in April. I would hope the price gouging and motherboard scarcity will end by then.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea that crap usually lasts only around a few weeks of launch unless the manufacturer has trouble keeping up with demand (a la Radeon 5/6xxx). I think Intel will be able to produce enough without issues. You may even see a price drop on the mobo's by April.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Did not see this answered, but will sandy bridge motherboards allow us to use the same CPU coolers like the current sockets for core2duo?

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
I'm waiting to score some cheap i5 quads when SB hits. You guys can have the SB chips and let cheapskates like me clear away the (not-so) outdated trash, thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

freeforumuser posted:

I'm waiting to score some cheap i5 quads when SB hits. You guys can have the SB chips and let cheapskates like me clear away the (not-so) outdated trash, thanks.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The current CPU's are more than enough for my needs. Most game still have dual core as the recommended requirements, while needing quad core is just starting to not be uncommon.

Hopefully these CPU's make Intels and maybe even some of AMD's offerings slash by $15 or so.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Buffis posted:

Did not see this answered, but will sandy bridge motherboards allow us to use the same CPU coolers like the current sockets for core2duo?
The mounting holes are in the same position as LGA-1156, if you're currently using an LGA-775 cooler then you may need new mounting hardware.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

For 775 heatsinks, you can always remove the clips on the heatsink and attach it to the board using some cheap nylon screws and bolts. That's what I did with my Sythetech Ninja.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I have a Ninja as well, which I really like... I don't really want to hack something together though. I like it when stuff just works.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

freeforumuser posted:

I'll be surprised if there is a big price drop on current i5-750/760 chips after SB drops. The E8400 I bought on newegg for my system almost 3 years ago for $200 is still $170 today on newegg. So only a $30 price drop in about 3 years when for $25 more you can get a i5-750. I have a feeling the i-750 will only drop to $190, $200 for the 760, but the i5-2500 and 2500K will probably be around $210 and $220 after the initial price gouging ends. I just wished a decent mid-range SB motherboard wouldn't cost $200, that's loving ridiculous. I just can't see native USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb support justifying the price premium when there is no PCI-E 3.0 support.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

when there is no PCI-E 3.0 support.

Can't blame them for this, the spec was just finalized in Nov. 2010. I just started doing PCI-E 3.0 layout/design for my company a few weeks ago. I don't think any graphics cards are ready for 3.0 anyways, are they?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

Can't blame them for this, the spec was just finalized in Nov. 2010. I just started doing PCI-E 3.0 layout/design for my company a few weeks ago. I don't think any graphics cards are ready for 3.0 anyways, are they?
The latest graphics cards are all PCI-E 2.1. There's really nothing that uses the bandwidth anyway, given that you can do Crossfire/SLI in x8/x8 mode on a P55 board without a loss in performance. There's a few compute and science applications that would benefit, but those are rare.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

spasticColon posted:

I'll be surprised if there is a big price drop on current i5-750/760 chips after SB drops. The E8400 I bought on newegg for my system almost 3 years ago for $200 is still $170 today on newegg. So only a $30 price drop in about 3 years when for $25 more you can get a i5-750. I have a feeling the i-750 will only drop to $190, $200 for the 760, but the i5-2500 and 2500K will probably be around $210 and $220 after the initial price gouging ends. I just wished a decent mid-range SB motherboard wouldn't cost $200, that's loving ridiculous. I just can't see native USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb support justifying the price premium when there is no PCI-E 3.0 support.

Wait, $200 for a midrange sandy bridge motherboard? That poo poo is bananas! Whatever happened to midrange motherboards costing around $130-150 like this one? Is there a gas surcharge or something? Did silicon hit $150/barrel? What the gently caress?

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 motherboard - $127.99 shipped
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P - $161.25 shipped
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 - $190.99 shipped

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 20, 2010

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't worry too much about board pricing yet. Initial indications were of a $20 premium, but that's also supposed to even out shortly after launch. If you do a Froogle search, you can find plenty of P67 boards <$140 or even lower.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Wait, $200 for a midrange sandy bridge motherboard? That poo poo is bananas! Whatever happened to midrange motherboards costing around $130-150 like this one? Is there a gas surcharge or something? Did silicon hit $150/barrel? What the gently caress?

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 motherboard - $127.99 shipped
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P - $161.25 shipped
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 - $190.99 shipped

Okay I'll give that one but I'm still irked because my current mid-range board was only $90(P35-DS3L) and that $190 board on your list was linked on this thread a few days ago so I kinda knee-jerked over that. That GA-P67A-UD3 is raising my interest because it actually fits my budget but I'll wait until the reviews are out along with ASUS board reviews and prices. Who is actually grabbing a board now for their SB chip? I want my i5-2500K ASAP too but I don't want a buggy mobo.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

spasticColon posted:

Okay I'll give that one but I'm still irked because my current mid-range board was only $90(P35-DS3L) and that $190 board on your list was linked on this thread a few days ago so I kinda knee-jerked over that. That GA-P67A-UD3 is raising my interest because it actually fits my budget but I'll wait until the reviews are out along with ASUS board reviews and prices. Who is actually grabbing a board now for their SB chip? I want my i5-2500K ASAP too but I don't want a buggy mobo.

I'm in the same boat. P35-DS3L owner who will probably get the P67A-UD3, contingent upon reviews.

It may be foolish to buy the board now. IIRC there were sizable bundle discounts for the Phenom II X6 and motherboard when it was released. Hopefully there will be good motherboard + cpu bundle discounts for sandy bridge.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Has Intel announced even a tiny bit what their plans are for Sandy Bridge in the HPC space?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/20/intel-sandy-bridge-cpus-and-motherboards-on-sale-in-malaysia-wh/

Apparently you can buy Sandy Bridge in Malaysia now.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Latest leaked slides on BD. Looks to be out in April with a slightly updated version of current 8xx chipset. Llano should be out 2 months later. Llano will have to be priced pretty low to compete well with SB I think even if its GPU comes out to over twice as fast. So long as BD is decent this isn't good but not bad for AMD either.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Misogynist posted:

Has Intel announced even a tiny bit what their plans are for Sandy Bridge in the HPC space?

Next HPC processor is Eagleton which is a 32 nm product with Westmere cores. A year after that is Jaketown which uses Sandybridge cores.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jaketown is 8-core hyper-threaded with no GT. Uses a full ring as opposed to Sandy Bridge's half-ring.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

One thing I forgot to ask about the K edition SB chips is do they just unlock random processors for overclocking or do they cherry-pick the processors like they do with the extreme edition chips?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

spasticColon posted:

One thing I forgot to ask about the K edition SB chips is do they just unlock random processors for overclocking or do they cherry-pick the processors like they do with the extreme edition chips?

The earlier. If it was extreme-implied it would have an MSRP of $999.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's what I thought but that means there might be a great difference in overclocking ability from one chip to the next. Like ones that will hit 5GHz without breaking a sweat on air cooling but with other ones it may be a struggle to get it past 4GHz. But if I can get 4GHz out of a i5-2500K on air cooling I'll be happy. I want to see the benchmarks and overclocking of these K chips so bad.:f5:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Leaked i5 2500K benches.

No overclocking. Some things its significantly faster than the previous gen, others its not faster at all at or even a teensy bit slower, pretty much as expected. At the same clocks of course.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 25, 2010

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh dear, I'm in a bit of a pickle. My old rigs mobo died yesterday (an AMD phenom 2 940) and I figured I'd go with an i7 something this time. I was thinking about going with an i7-950 but the temptation for more performance for the same buck from SB is tempting. Then again, I've done launch hardware before and gotten burned on reliability and I don't know when SB will be available in Norway or the price point (negating the more bang for the buck).

Why did my machine have to crash now with SB and presumably Bulldozer out soon, drat it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope there'll be Bulldozer benches soon. I'm wary about its shared module crap, but I'm willing to get convinced. Not entirely happy with half the AVX capacity on it, then again, do games even use SSE to its full extent (SSE3 and upwards?)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

After seeing those leaked benchmarks is it possible that AMD will close the gap with Bulldozer? And those leaked benches were kinda disappointing but then again they didn't overclock. We probably won't see another dramatic increase in performance until Haswell drops in 2013 unless BD is a game changer later this year but I doubt it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thyrus posted:

Oh dear, I'm in a bit of a pickle. My old rigs mobo died yesterday (an AMD phenom 2 940) and I figured I'd go with an i7 something this time. I was thinking about going with an i7-950 but the temptation for more performance for the same buck from SB is tempting. Then again, I've done launch hardware before and gotten burned on reliability and I don't know when SB will be available in Norway or the price point (negating the more bang for the buck).

Why did my machine have to crash now with SB and presumably Bulldozer out soon, drat it.
If you need to buy now, I'd look at the LGA-1156 platform with either an i5 760 or i7 870 (or i7 875K if you're into overclocking). You get a much better value and more power efficiency compared to the LGA-1366 platform with the i7 950. Really though, I'd just wait it out for the Sandy Bridge launch reviews at least.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
What's the official launch date? I already see the CPUs/Motherboards in online stores here in Slovenia but CPUs are not in stock yet.
Also is there a date on where online review sites can start publishing their reviews? If i remember correctly i saw some site mention to come back for reviews after 31 December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis
It's being launched January 5th, so I guess that's when the official reviews from Anand etc. will come out.