Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Yeah that was like the opposite of good

gently caress you it's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Just home from the Baltimore Street Dogs show, they're still the best punk band

Have Nots were awesome but the singers were almost loving inaudible, I want to fire every sound guy ever and replace him with myself

Flatfoot 56 are annoying now, I liked them more before they knew people wanted to hear them

Makes the wait for the Friday show in Boston even worse. I hope the sound guys there know what they are doing cause Have Nots are amazing. I've never seen Flatfoot before, so hopefully it will be ok.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Makes the wait for the Friday show in Boston even worse. I hope the sound guys there know what they are doing cause Have Nots are amazing. I've never seen Flatfoot before, so hopefully it will be ok.

Flatfoot opened for the Toasters a couple years ago (I know, what the gently caress is up with that), and they were pretty awesome. The wall of death in the tiny venue was a little excessive but it was still fun.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Anyone attending Bomb/Laura/Franz/Censors tomorrow in Brooklyn?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Flatfoot opened for the Toasters a couple years ago (I know, what the gently caress is up with that), and they were pretty awesome. The wall of death in the tiny venue was a little excessive but it was still fun.
I remember, I was at the local show of that tour and I liked them then. They aren't any worse musically they're just cocky and annoying now

And I feel ya Fateo, I love the Have Nots, I was super pumped and then really disappointed by the audio. At least I got a shirt.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

hedgecore posted:

GOD drat IT BOMB STOP PLAYING SHOWS ON DAYS I HAVE poo poo TO DO WHAT THE gently caress

there's seriously some kind of conspiracy working to never let me see btmi!

I loving LIVE in Brooklyn for christfuckingsake

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Well you're loving up!

If anyone's there, I'll be wearing a huge CHOOSE DEATH shirt and harassing Mike Costa. Call me Sneve, not hedgecore/stairs?/whatever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We need to book Bomb in Syracuse at some point, since the dude that books the shows sure as poo poo isn't gonna.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

hedgecore posted:

I tried but Hopstop gave me bad directions and I spent an hour wandering around Williamsburg looking for Metropolitan Ave before I just gave up and went home.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Did you ask anyone there for directions?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
How was the show? I wanted to make it out, but got pretty sick this weekend.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
It was great. Top 10 of the year for me easily. So much fun and everyone in Bomb is the best. My friend's secret santa is a fan so I got them all to write out a greeting card for him. It is absurd and full of doodles of burning trees, a tree with a boner, and "Happy Birthday! <3 Laura".

Censors has promise. Franz was really great - had seen him in W/IFS for years but never as a solo act. Laura's new song was super catchy. And Bomb actually sounded like a real band. I grabbed the setlist for the Secret Santa kid too, but that already disappeared so I forget the exact set. Out of order, let's see what I can recall...

Happy Anterrabae Day!!!
Fresh Attitude, Young Body
493 Ruth
25!!!
Congratulations John on Joining Every Time I Die
Stand There Until You're Sober
Pizza Claus is Coming to Town
All Ages Shows
Saddr Weirdr
It Ceases to be "Whining" if You're Still "making GBS threads Blood"
The First Time I Met Sanawon
Slumlord
I Don't Love You Anymore
Syke! Life is Awesome

I think that's it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Goddamn that setlist loving owns

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.
they also played a taking back sunday song. the show was awesome, also one of the best i've seen all year.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Goddamn that setlist loving owns

I don't know, I still think the show I went to where they played ASOB's "So Let's Go Nowhere" was the best setlist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I don't know, I still think the show I went to where they played ASOB's "So Let's Go Nowhere" was the best setlist.

Any show where anyone plays So Let's Go! Nowhere is the best set

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fearless has the Hi-Five Soup bundles up on their site now:

Bundle 1 Includes:

- Poster
- Sticker
- Copy of the CD

http://fearless.merchnow.com/products/123442

Bundle 2 Includes:

- T-Shirt
- Autographed! Poster
- Copy of the CD
- Sticker

http://fearless.merchnow.com/products/123443

Also if you like the Aquabats on Facebook you'll get a new song "The Shark Fighter" http://www.facebook.com/theaquabats?v=app_7146470109

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Flatfoot was awesome. Picked up 2 of their albums on vinyl. Have Nots and Street Dogs killed. Have Nots say they got a new album coming out soon (next month I think), can't wait to throw money at them for it. Street Dogs were awesome as always.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

they also played a taking back sunday song. the show was awesome, also one of the best i've seen all year.

Do you know what song it was? I can't imagine anything better than a TBS style song played with BTMI intensity.

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.

asio posted:

Do you know what song it was? I can't imagine anything better than a TBS style song played with BTMI intensity.

It was You Know How I Do and yes, it was awesome.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

asio posted:

Here, I found this in my stash. There are a few others that I can't locate right now.
Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Timberwolves at New Jersey

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
haha holy poo poo that is cool. Please post more if you find it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait, I wander into NMD on a random whim, and I found out Ska still exists?

I thought this genre spontaneously vanished around the turn of the millennium. Which I considered really sad after finding some Five Iron Frenzy and Reel Big Fish MP3s floating around the internet.

I love this genre, it's just so upbeat and it sounds like everyone has so much fun making it. I'm gonna go find and listen to a bunch of this, right now.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

It does exist and is alive and kicking! Kicking out, then in, then jumping around, for a bit, then tempo change and people are moshing, the back to the verse and people are confused, but then the kicking starts again and the cycle repeats.

The Aquabats are amazing if you're into the whole 'these guys have ridiculous amounts of fun!' aspect. Although I did see them recently and felt that their recorded stuff isn't as super rad as the live experience. Except for that one song.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cleretic posted:

Wait, I wander into NMD on a random whim, and I found out Ska still exists?

I thought this genre spontaneously vanished around the turn of the millennium. Which I considered really sad after finding some Five Iron Frenzy and Reel Big Fish MP3s floating around the internet.

I love this genre, it's just so upbeat and it sounds like everyone has so much fun making it. I'm gonna go find and listen to a bunch of this, right now.

Aquabats, Streetlight, Bosstones, Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug, there you go have a ball.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Streetlight Manifesto are what got me into Ska and are just generally fantastic guys. I wish they were doing another UK tour, I was ill last time they were here :(

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Speaking of the Aquabats, they're hitting up the southeast again next month! Woohoo! I'm going to the Atlanta show on the 18th, which kind of makes it a release party. Looking forward to seeing RBF as well.

edit: as far as recommendations go, I'll reiterate on the Aquabats, Streetlight Manifesto, Less than Jake, and add in Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Don't forget Mad Caddies

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Don't forget Mad Caddies

I've been trying to

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I've been trying to

gently caress u mad caddies rule

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

It was You Know How I Do and yes, it was awesome.

Holy poo poo this owns.

hedgecore posted:

Here, I found this in my stash. There are a few others that I can't locate right now.
Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Timberwolves at New Jersey

almost as much as this

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I've been trying to

You are wrong about music literally all the time. First that techno garbage Fatter Than Albert cover and now hating on Mad Caddies. You might as well stop posting.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

While everyone is throwing out suggestions, anyone want to recommend some albums that came out in the past year? I'm trying to put together my year-end lists and a mix, and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Specifically, I'm looking for obscure local or foreign stuff. One album I've come across is the new one from Talco. They're an Italian band, and while I had heard of them before, I hadn't given them a listen. It's a really fast paced album with some of the most insanely tight horn lines I've ever heard. And it's a concept album about a anti-Mob activist, with lyrics on their website in English.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I've been trying to get people to listen to the Johnstones, they're up and coming, and they've got a great sound, somewhere between Streetlight and the Gin Blossoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1OTaKz_zn4

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You are wrong about music literally all the time. First that techno garbage Fatter Than Albert cover and now hating on Mad Caddies. You might as well stop posting.

Let me amend this: I've been trying to forget they made more than two albums.

Seriously after the second album I just can't care. The little voice in my head goes "yeah this is ok but you could be listening to Hello Rockview again right now"

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mad Caddies have a couple really great songs on every album, I wish I could collect them all on one super album and then make the rest of the songs not exist

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I've been trying to get people to listen to the Johnstones, they're up and coming, and they've got a great sound, somewhere between Streetlight and the Gin Blossoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1OTaKz_zn4
I've posted the Johnstones in this thread before, everyone but me (and apparently you) hated them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

Mad Caddies have a couple really great songs on every album, I wish I could collect them all on one super album and then make the rest of the songs not exist

I've posted the Johnstones in this thread before, everyone but me (and apparently you) hated them

I liked them

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Oh I was trolling. I hate that drummer with a passion

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wasn't, I unironically enjoy them

I guess I should have seen it with the Gin Blossoms comment but instead I was just confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

The exception is the first album. That's good pretty much the whole way through.