Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I strongly advise that you give it more of a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Going back to Buzzcocks, Vic Reeves is always good for a laugh and I thought what's-his-face on Phill's team who is in some duo or the other was surprisingly funny.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It was odd that (BIG ASHES TO ASHES SPOILERS) Ashes to Ashes and Lost ended up, at pretty much the same time in the TV schedule, ending in really similar ways, right down to one particular character going round "unlocking" people.

Can anyone else think of any other times when two very different shows have ended up with strikingly similar plots at the same time?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Juliette Lewis, she was an actor and I think was in one of the better Woody Allen films but then gave it up to do music.

She does have a singing career, so she's a more suitable host than Catherine Tate.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 17, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

cloudchamber posted:

She does have a singing career so she a more suitable host than Catherine Tate.

And she did make laugh when she suddenly said "Is this going well? I don't know." Although she does just seem a bit batty in general.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Juliette Lewis was amazing. Her delivery was utterly terrible but I loved how amusing the team captains found the whole mess.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So what Christmas telly highlights have you all found? I've got the following:
Sunday 19th December
Misfits Christmas Special E4 10pm
The Apprentice Final 9pm-11pm

Tuesday 21st December
Top Gear American East Coast Special 8pm

Friday 24th December
Peep Show Evening Channel 4 9pm to 11:50pm. One documentry, a new episode, and two viewer favourite episodes.
Whistle and I'll Come to You BBC2 9pm

Saturday 25th December
Doctor Who BBC1 6pm

Sunday 26th December
Top Gear Middle East Special 8pm. Southeast Turkey, Iraq and Syria.
100 Greatest Toys with Jonathan Ross 6.55pm to 10pm.

Monday 27th December
Charlie Brooker's 2010 Wipe BBC2 10pm

Also there's 6 days of Eastenders in a row over the Christmas weekend from Thursday to Tuesday.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 18, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Brown Moses posted:

Sunday 19th December

Friday 24th December
Peep Show Evening Channel 4 9pm to 11:50pm. One documentry, a new episode, and two viewer favourite episodes.

Saturday 25th December
Doctor Who BBC1 6pm

Sunday 26th December

Also there's 6 days of Eastenders in a row over the Christmas weekend from Thursday to Tuesday.

The final of The Apprentice is also on on Sunday. Aren't there two Top Gear specials on this Christmas? There's the Middle East one and another in New York, when's that on?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've added those two. Note there's nothing worth watching on ITV.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't forget Charlie Brookers end of the year recap thingy on the 27th.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't forget Charlie Brookers end of the year recap thingy on the 27th.

I just added that, I would have missed it otherwise. On BBC2 as well, it would be nice if Newswipe or Screenwipe returned with a new series on BBC2.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
The last two series of Ashes To Ashes are some great television. It certainly keeps you hooked.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Just watched Dirk Gently, it was really quite good. I watched too much Friends in my youth though because Helen Baxendale will always be Ross's English girlfriend to me. :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

For some reason I don't like the lead actor, and I don't know why. Something about him just makes me dislike him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

^^ Because he's a bit of a dick in Green Wing? And I guess in Alan Partridge too?

eating only apples posted:

Helen Baxendale

She came into my work a few weeks ago with her family. Nice lady.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dan wasn't a dick, he just wanted to watch Alan make love to his sexy wife.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

Brown Moses posted:

Sunday 19th December
The Apprentice Final 9pm-11pm

Tuesday 21st December
Top Gear American East Coast Special 8pm

Friday 24th December

Saturday 25th December
Doctor Who BBC1 6pm

Sunday 26th December

Monday 27th December
Charlie Brooker's 2010 Wipe BBC2 10pm

Not TV but there's an Adam and Joe Christmas special on Christmas Day on 6 Music.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

So what Christmas telly highlights have you all found?

Dr Who, Top Gear and Charlie Brooker. The new Upstairs Downstairs looks interesting but just because I am a sucker for costume drama.

And also the Strictly Come Dancing Finale tomorrow but thats my guilty secret

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
Father Ted night on New Years Day. Fan favourite episode, documentary, writer's favourite episode then The Heartbreak Kid (1972), a movie that they like.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Brown Moses posted:

So what Christmas telly highlights have you all found?

Whistle and I'll Come To You.

It's got John Hurt. The story is creepy as gently caress. The 60s adapation was absolute class. I've got high hopes.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Lot 49 posted:

It's got John Hurt. The story is creepy as gently caress. The 60s adapation was absolute class. I've got high hopes.

Ohhhh, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for bringing it up! The original short story is one of my absolute favourites, it's just such a perfectly chilly, nasty little tale.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Lot 49 posted:

Oh my God, are you serious? I was just thinking about that story the other day! My English teacher read it to us years and years ago. Can't wait for this.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I love Frankie Boyle but Tramadol Nights is just poo poo. Its not that its offensive, because its not much more offensive than his live stuff, (saw him live a few months back and laughed my rear end off) its just devoid of anything I can see is supposed to be even theoretically funny. A lot of it is just kind of bleak, and not even like "Jam" where the execution of the bleak stuff made it funny.

Maybe he's going for shock value as an end to itself, but lets face it, if you're tuning in for Frankie Boyle, you're not likely to be the easily shocked type. The only thing about it that shocked me was that in three episodes I maybe laughed twice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HauntedRobot posted:

Maybe he's going for shock value as an end to itself

Ding ding ding.

He's a one trick pony, and the trick only really works in a playground. When you're ten.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ding ding ding.

He's a one trick pony, and the trick only really works in a playground. When you're ten.

I dunno, up til now he's at least been funny with it. No, scratch that, even when he's not been funny, the offensiveness has been part of some kind of joke, whether it ended up being funny or not. This is the TV equivalent of someone walking into a room and just repeatedly saying "oval office".

I get the feeling he's either blown the first half of his budget falling off the wagon and writing the first thing that came to his mind while hungover, or he's decided he's "too popular" and is deliberately trying to sabotage his own chances of getting on TV ever again.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Purple Gromit posted:

Someone mentioned Life on Mars earlier and it reminded me of the weird american remake (with Harvey Keitel as the Gene Hunt character).
Thinking about it there have been quite a few brit shows remade in the US to varying degrees of success.
Queer as Folk and the Office did well doing a variation on the originals.
Cracker and Life on Mars stuggled through one season before cancellation.
Finally theres the poo poo pilot only attempts at Spaced (never even shown anywhere), Red Dwarf (twice) and the IT Crowd.

Are there any programs that could be improved or even matched in a remake, or are they doomed to be a pale imitation of the original?

Sanford and Son done well, but I've just found out there was a Men Behaving Badly remake, I can't imagine how anyone though that would translate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_Behaving_Badly_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

HauntedRobot posted:

I get the feeling he's either blown the first half of his budget falling off the wagon and writing the first thing that came to his mind while hungover, or he's decided he's "too popular" and is deliberately trying to sabotage his own chances of getting on TV ever again.

I reckon he's just a lazy bastard.

Some of the sketches have been funny, like Loose Women Iran, or the hidden camera one where the guy's mate pretends to have killed a child.

Everything about it just screams "That'll do". He's even been reusing gags from Mock The Week, which is just inexcusable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I enjoyed the "Confession of a..." sketch, but then it was followed by the Colombian news, which was just lazy writing.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Leyburn posted:

Everything about it just screams "That'll do". He's even been reusing gags from Mock The Week, which is just inexcusable.

Oh this, 100 times this.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Brown Moses posted:

I enjoyed the "Confession of a..." sketch, but then it was followed by the Colombian news, which was just lazy writing.

All the sketches are lazy writing. They all have a core concept with the potential for hilarity, but they all come across as if they've just filmed the first draft and called it a day. The Loose Women Iran sketch is mentioned often as one that actually works, which is because it's about 30 seconds long and follows the format of setup-buildup-punchline.

The Knight Rider sketch as counter-example follows the format setup-buildup-buildup-rambling bollocks-punchline in there somewhere-what the gently caress were we doing?-better end this now. Comes across like a funny joke being told really badly by a pissed bloke in the pub.

While I'm happy to see Frankie able to tell the jokes he wants without the BBC cutting anything that might even slightly offend, he still needs a producer that will cut things because they're lovely and don't work.

EDIT: To clarify and answer the post above mine, I don't think the slackness is due to laziness. I think it's due to him having free reign, with nobody standing over him and saying "tighten this poo poo up" or "You might love this sketch but it's not funny, cut it".

Flatscan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2010

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping it would be good, not because of Boyle, but because Rab Florence is a writer for it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Frankie Boyle isn't a good comedian when he's not reacting to other people, because shouting pedophile or oval office or rape aren't punchlines. After bailing out from Mock the Week and complaining the BBC were holding him back, he then gets his own programme on another channel, where in the series premiere he covers such up-to-date topics as the Winter Olympics, which happened 11 months ago, the John Leslie sexual assault allegations, which happened 7 years ago, The Green Mile which was released in 1999 and then recycles material from the programme that was "holding him back".

He's poo poo.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Anyone know if UK on demand ratings count towards the official ratings these days?

I ask cos I pretty much only watch TV on demand on the net.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Frankie Boyle isn't a good comedian when he's not reacting to other people, because shouting pedophile or oval office or rape aren't punchlines. After bailing out from Mock the Week and complaining the BBC were holding him back, he then gets his own programme on another channel, where in the series premiere he covers such up-to-date topics as the Winter Olympics, which happened 11 months ago, the John Leslie sexual assault allegations, which happened 7 years ago, The Green Mile which was released in 1999 and then recycles material from the programme that was "holding him back".

He's poo poo.

So you're saying that you can't joke about anything that's older than 6 months? I mean I see what you're getting at, he reuses far too much old material, but he's allowed to do sketches about The Green Mile if he wants, that alone doesn't make him poo poo.

I gotta disagree with the statement that he relies on shock value alone too. He just tells jokes he finds funny and doesn't let good taste get in the way of a funny gag. He still tells plenty of jokes that aren't shocking in any way (hello Mr cheese!), although admittedly that hasn't been true for Tramadol Nights so far, where he does seem to think that shock value alone will stand in for a punch line.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think Flatscan pretty much stated he could do better, he just needs to swallow some of his ego and let a producer use his professionalism to give him criticism on what is good and what is bollocks.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think Flatscan pretty much stated he could do better, he just needs to swallow some of his ego and let a producer use his professionalism to give him criticism on what is good and what is bollocks.

The thing is, with some serious quality control applied to the sketches and some new stand up material Tramadol Nights could actually be very good.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. I'm a bit burned out after a marathon three-days-without-sleep essay writing session recently, can't quite make a coherent argument.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Domalom posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping it would be good, not because of Boyle, but because Rab Florence is a writer for it.

He is? drat, that's disappointing. I've liked Rab ever since the early Consolevanias and thought Burnistoun was pretty drat good for the most part. Sad to hear he's involved in this poo poo.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I rate Tramadol Nights, at least after the disaster that was the first episode. It's made me laugh pretty consistently - my favourite sketch so far has been the mental-health awareness advert that Rab Florence done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Beeswax posted:

He is? drat, that's disappointing. I've liked Rab ever since the early Consolevanias and thought Burnistoun was pretty drat good for the most part. Sad to hear he's involved in this poo poo.

Quite defensive about it on Twitter, too, it seems. So he seems to be happy with his involvement.

A shame, as you say.