Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Holdbrooks posted:

What can you guys tell me about the newer S197 convertible mustangs specifically the GT500s, as you know most of the mustang forums are a cluster.

My mother has wanted a Shelby cobra since before I can remember, and a convertible. We are now in a position to make her dreams come true, and she was one signature away from buying a Kona blue 2011 Roush stage 1 convertible but I got here to wait since I know that those are just an appearance package for the 7k extra. I think she would be scared of the 550 hp in the 2011 GT500, however I heard something about the my key thing which limits the speed??? anyway I think I am going to take her to Atlanta to look at some cars including some used GT500s this weekend and want to know some more about what I am looking at. So anything other than the stripes looking lovely I should be looking out for?

MyKey is a programmable option, where you can limit a certain key to a certain speed. However, that doesn't limit how fast you can get to that speed, so you can still get yourself in trouble if you aren't prepared for the power. As far as used GT500's, you should definitely look for a good service history just like any other car. Anything before 2011 won't have MyKey, or the option of the SVT Track Pack (if she's even interested in that). Also remember that up until 09 the GT500's had 500hp, and in 2010 they had 540hp, but not until 2011 did the cars get an aluminum engine block, so the steering is a little heavier, as well as having slightly poorer fuel economy. Really, the 2011 is pretty different from even the 2010, but that won't make an earlier GT500 any less fun.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Imperador do Brasil posted:

MyKey is a programmable option, where you can limit a certain key to a certain speed. However, that doesn't limit how fast you can get to that speed, so you can still get yourself in trouble if you aren't prepared for the power. As far as used GT500's, you should definitely look for a good service history just like any other car. Anything before 2011 won't have MyKey, or the option of the SVT Track Pack (if she's even interested in that). Also remember that up until 09 the GT500's had 500hp, and in 2010 they had 540hp, but not until 2011 did the cars get an aluminum engine block, so the steering is a little heavier, as well as having slightly poorer fuel economy. Really, the 2011 is pretty different from even the 2010, but that won't make an earlier GT500 any less fun.

Are they easy enough to drive? I know they have a TCS, but are you scraed to drive in the wet? it will be her DD and she will drive it easy, but I don't want her to wad it up the first time it rains.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Got some new shots of my Shelby a couple of weeks ago. These were taken at night with a 15s exposure time, with my friend Tony (he also took the pictures) painting the car with light from his iPhone. I have these in gigantic if anyone wants them.

I feel like the light painting could have been spread out more. But either way, I'd love a big one of this. Also, I really really like the SVT logo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Holdbrooks posted:

Are they easy enough to drive? I know they have a TCS, but are you scraed to drive in the wet? it will be her DD and she will drive it easy, but I don't want her to wad it up the first time it rains.

I haven't driven it in the wet, but I don't see why it'd be a problem. The tires are rock-hard below about 45 degrees, so wet + cold would be bad, but a wet warm day should be a-ok with sane throttle application.

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like the light painting could have been spread out more. But either way, I'd love a big one of this. Also, I really really like the SVT logo.

Want me to e-mail it to you?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

What can you guys tell me about the newer S197 convertible mustangs specifically the GT500s, as you know most of the mustang forums are a cluster.

My mother has wanted a Shelby cobra since before I can remember, and a convertible. We are now in a position to make her dreams come true, and she was one signature away from buying a Kona blue 2011 Roush stage 1 convertible but I got here to wait since I know that those are just an appearance package for the 7k extra. I think she would be scared of the 550 hp in the 2011 GT500, however I heard something about the my key thing which limits the speed??? anyway I think I am going to take her to Atlanta to look at some cars including some used GT500s this weekend and want to know some more about what I am looking at. So anything other than the stripes looking lovely I should be looking out for?

A speed limiter is not going to stop her from being scared of 550hp. Even if you stay under 50mph, having 550hp under your foot will still get you into lots of trouble.

If she wants a shelby because of the looks then then it's possible to just kit up a regular mustang to look like one, inside and out. I recall on one of the mustang forums seeing a guide with parts list on how to do this to an S197 (sorry forgot which forum).

If she wants a shelby because of the power then the choice is obvious.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Crosspostin' from allfords, spec and order sheets for the 2012 model run.

Update Sheet
Order Guide

Summary for 2012:

Added the Boss 302.
No more Sterling Gray.
Added "Lava Red" which I guess is a dark red.
Illuminated vanity mirror and multi-purpose storage behind sun visors.
Premium specs get a universal garage door opener.
Toggle for EPAS, comfort normal and sport.

Here's an article 2012 Mustang Order Guide Surfaces

I guess if you want a new 'stang in sterling gray order that poo poo now. Unless you really, really want an illuminated vanity mirror.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RockSmart posted:

My god :fap:

I can't imagine how awesome that is going to look.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RockSmart posted:

Crosspostin' from allfords, spec and order sheets for the 2012 model run.

Update Sheet
Order Guide

Summary for 2012:

Added the Boss 302.
No more Sterling Gray.
Illuminated vanity mirror and multi-purpose storage behind sun visors.
Premium specs get a universal garage door opener.
Toggle for EPAS, comfort normal and sport.

Here's an article 2012 Mustang Order Guide Surfaces

I guess if you want a new 'stang in sterling gray order that poo poo now. Unless you really, really want an illuminated vanity mirror.

Glad I got mine in Sterling. Ingot Silver looks cheap, and everyone has black cars...

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The dealership I work at won a lotto with FMC to receive one of the Boss 302 Laguna Seca editions allotted to our region. I hope we get the black one. :3:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

pienipple posted:

The dealership I work at won a lotto with FMC to receive one of the Boss 302 Laguna Seca editions allotted to our region. I hope we get the black one. :3:

Sorry, the correct color for the Boss 302 is Calypso Coral.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

whiskas posted:

A speed limiter is not going to stop her from being scared of 550hp. Even if you stay under 50mph, having 550hp under your foot will still get you into lots of trouble.

If she wants a shelby because of the looks then then it's possible to just kit up a regular mustang to look like one, inside and out. I recall on one of the mustang forums seeing a guide with parts list on how to do this to an S197 (sorry forgot which forum).

If she wants a shelby because of the power then the choice is obvious.

I would stick with the GT with the Roush appearance package. My '11 is stupidly fast as it is and I can hit arrest me speeds easily somewhere in 3rd gear. If she wants something a little bit unique, I can't imagine going wrong with the Roush.

I can see almost daily driving a GT500 and what I mean by that is having a second car on stand by if you do a lot of driving. The tires will be hockey pucks under 40 degrees and almost every place in the country is going to have at least 1 or 2 days a year when driving that car is a bad idea. Insurance is going to be monster as well. When I ordered my GT it hadn't gotten into the insurance system yet so the agent threw out the cost to insure a GT500 as an absolute worst case number for the GT and it was almost 1800 a year whereas my GT is about 1300.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Tires and alignment will do wonders, I have some goodies planned for my SN95 and camber plates are at the top of the list.

Yeah, the PO put mismatched tires on it which leads me to believe they didn't put any thought into handling at all. After this rotation the fronts appear to be handling a lot better; however when they get worn enough I'll be putting a matched set on it.

I'll look into camber plates and have a chat with my local shop (SoulSpeed in Austin). They recommended sway bars as a good handling upgrade - thoughts?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kronix posted:

I would stick with the GT with the Roush appearance package. My '11 is stupidly fast as it is and I can hit arrest me speeds easily somewhere in 3rd gear. If she wants something a little bit unique, I can't imagine going wrong with the Roush.

I can see almost daily driving a GT500 and what I mean by that is having a second car on stand by if you do a lot of driving. The tires will be hockey pucks under 40 degrees and almost every place in the country is going to have at least 1 or 2 days a year when driving that car is a bad idea. Insurance is going to be monster as well. When I ordered my GT it hadn't gotten into the insurance system yet so the agent threw out the cost to insure a GT500 as an absolute worst case number for the GT and it was almost 1800 a year whereas my GT is about 1300.

I dunno about insurance being a monster; I pay $805/year for my GT500 with full coverage, low deductibles and absurd limits. I would daily drive my GT500 most of the year but for the fact that I work at a hospital and door dings are a daily occurrence there.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I got a Check Oil light on my 2008 V6 for a split second today right after I started it up from being stationary for a few hours in the cold. Is this something that demands getting checked out immediately?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

I got a Check Oil light on my 2008 V6 for a split second today right after I started it up from being stationary for a few hours in the cold. Is this something that demands getting checked out immediately?

Was it not the normal all gauges lighting up process that happens every time you turn the car on? Have you checked your oil lately?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Check your oil level.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Oil level is actually a bit higher than full. Comes up slightly above the top mark on the dipstick.

quote:

Was it not the normal all gauges lighting up process that happens every time you turn the car on?

I tried turning the the engine on/off a bunch of times after that and could not replicate it.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 18, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Anyone want a 351ci Coyote? Wiseco is going to offer them soon. I would imagine that others will flood the market with them pretty quick. Reports from the PRI show where this was shown off say rumors of an 800hp N/A version are in testing to make an appearance in NMRA Hot Street/Pure Street next year.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I dunno about insurance being a monster; I pay $805/year for my GT500 with full coverage, low deductibles and absurd limits. I would daily drive my GT500 most of the year but for the fact that I work at a hospital and door dings are a daily occurrence there.

You are a lucky bastard for both owning a GT500 and living in a place that doesn't rape you with insurance. I'm 27 and haven't gotten a ticket in 6 years and my GT is setting me back a lot more.

Where do you live? I can't imagine daily driving a GT500 or even my GT up here in Mass. I don't drive to work so my car's a weekender/400 horsepower grocery getter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kronix posted:

You are a lucky bastard for both owning a GT500 and living in a place that doesn't rape you with insurance. I'm 27 and haven't gotten a ticket in 6 years and my GT is setting me back a lot more.

Where do you live? I can't imagine daily driving a GT500 or even my GT up here in Mass. I don't drive to work so my car's a weekender/400 horsepower grocery getter.

I live in PA, which is why I would drive it most of the year. I've got multiple other vehicles I can drive instead, so the GT500 is put away for the winter. I'm 29 and haven't been pulled over in about 10 years, but I do get some discounts due to having multiple vehicles as well. I find it funny that my Shelby costs less than $10 a month more to insure than my Honda Fit.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

kronix posted:

No fuckin poo poo. I pay 1800 a year for a fuckin '09 Corolla.
I'm 31, no tickets, one accident in 1998, and a suspension in 2000. They say that that poo poo is supposed to come off your record after 6(?) years but even now when I mention the suspension, they say "Oh, well, thats going to affect your rates" :fist:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

Sorry, the correct color for the Boss 302 is Calypso Coral.

The Laguna Seca comes in black or silver according to our ordering guide. The silver with red/orange accents looks kinda bleh, the black one looks hot.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

scapulataf posted:

I'm 31, no tickets, one accident in 1998, and a suspension in 2000. They say that that poo poo is supposed to come off your record after 6(?) years but even now when I mention the suspension, they say "Oh, well, thats going to affect your rates" :fist:

You may want to find a different insurance company. I pay the same amount as you, but I have full coverage on a 1967 Mustang GT, a 2003 Mustang GT, a 2009 Ninja 250, and $20k in renter's insurance.

USAA owns bones.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

You may want to find a different insurance company. I pay the same amount as you, but I have full coverage on a 1967 Mustang GT, a 2003 Mustang GT, a 2009 Ninja 250, and $20k in renter's insurance.

USAA owns bones.

Truth. I pay $290/month for the following: 2011 Shelby GT500, 2010 VW Routan, 2009 Honda Fit, 1996 Ford Bronco, and 1972 VW Beetle. The first 3 vehicles have full coverage, and that monthly payment includes life insurance for 2 people as well.

Edit: I don't use USAA

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 19, 2010

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

USAA owns bones.

Not really fair to compare USAA rates to non-military folks.

Especially since USAA cuts you a dividend from their profits...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Oil level is actually a bit higher than full. Comes up slightly above the top mark on the dipstick.

I tried turning the the engine on/off a bunch of times after that and could not replicate it.

I'm sorry to bump this, but what would be the consensus on this? Something to worry about? Or a one-of case of the sensor screwing up due to the cold or something?

The car runs more than fine.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So in the end she decided to go with a 2011 GT/CS convertible in race red. and I am ordering a Flowmaster hushmaster axleback to get the sound more like the GT500. Ultimatly the smoother suspension and transmission was better for the daily city driving she will be doing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RockSmart posted:

It's only a matter of time. USAA recently opened their banking side to the general public, I'm sure they'll do the same with the insurance side too.
Remember, Geico used to be for government employees only too (Government Employees Insurance COmpany). They were founded in 1937 by a former employee of USAA and didn't start writing policies for civilians until 1973. I need to get a pic of the 1967 vintage GEICO sticker on my Mustang's quarter window some time.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Holdbrooks posted:

So in the end she decided to go with a 2011 GT/CS convertible in race red. and I am ordering a Flowmaster hushmaster axleback to get the sound more like the GT500. Ultimatly the smoother suspension and transmission was better for the daily city driving she will be doing.

.... why not just order gt500 exhaust?

here ya go
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-axle-back-touring-exhaust-system-with-gt500-mufflers-gt-2011/p/M5230MGTCA1/

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

RockSmart posted:

Agreed. Mentioning USAA to a non-military car enthusiast is like doing the MY GIRLFRIEND thing in ADTRW.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

yeah, thats still sitting in my cart there but I think she likes the flowmasters better, and I think they might be a little louder than the stock gt500 ones. but I'm kind of worried that they might drone.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Holdbrooks posted:

yeah, thats still sitting in my cart there but I think she likes the flowmasters better, and I think they might be a little louder than the stock gt500 ones. but I'm kind of worried that they might drone.

Depends on what your philosophy on exhaust is. Flowmasters will make it louder in the lower rpms than the gt500, but its a false loudness imo, and flowmaster seems to just amplify the low muddy notes of the exhaust, you get no high pitched exhaust noise. its as if theres a pillow stuffed in the muffler.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

There's a reason Flowmasters are called Dronemasters. Hope you don't spend any time in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

frozenphil posted:

There's a reason Flowmasters are called Dronemasters. Hope you don't spend any time in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range.

yeah, with the 6 speed I doubt she will plus she has some trouble hearing the lower frequencies so she probably cant here it anyway. if she is not happy the I'll just sell them and put the gt500 ones on.

we go an pick the car up today and the flowmasters should be at my door by Thursday.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Holdbrooks posted:

yeah, with the 6 speed I doubt she will plus she has some trouble hearing the lower frequencies so she probably cant here it anyway. if she is not happy the I'll just sell them and put the gt500 ones on.

we go an pick the car up today and the flowmasters should be at my door by Thursday.

With the 6-speed, I spend pretty much all of my time between 1500-2500rpm. Highway cruising in 6th at 75mph is 1700rpm.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

yeah, with the 6 speed I doubt she will

It was a joke, but since you don't yet own a Mustang I guess you didn't get it. Unless you're accelerating briskly a Mustang lives its life in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range. When you couple that with the fact that Flowmasters drone their worst in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range you get a combo that is miserable after a few minutes of driving. Hearing has little to do with drone as drone is more of a vibration that buzzes your ears.
I know you already made your purchase, but for future information, Magnaflow makes the best exhaust for these cars in both drone, power, and sound.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

frozenphil posted:

It was a joke, but since you don't yet own a Mustang I guess you didn't get it. Unless you're accelerating briskly a Mustang lives its life in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range. When you couple that with the fact that Flowmasters drone their worst in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range you get a combo that is miserable after a few minutes of driving. Hearing has little to do with drone as drone is more of a vibration that buzzes your ears.
I know you already made your purchase, but for future information, Magnaflow makes the best exhaust for these cars in both drone, power, and sound.

I agree on the magnaflow, it is what I always buy. however she seemed to hate the sound, at least the Huspower exhaust Isn't a chambered design so It won't be like the 40's or other regular flowmasters, or so that is my hope. she like the low rumble but unfortunately that might lead to droning in the lower rpms too. I'll post up a video when I put them on this week, and let her decide, I Think I am immune to drone since I DD a STi with a full catless titanium exhaust, I cant even talk on the phone and drive lol.

Either way she is super pumped to go pick it up when she get off work today, as am I.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

scapulataf posted:

Maybe stop mentioning it then?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

MikeyTsi posted:

Maybe stop mentioning it then?

It'll show up in a driver's abstract. When I give then my Driver's license number, they run it through the system.
"Hey, this guy didn't tell us that his license was suspended for a year? That seems like it would be hard to forget, what else isn't he telling us"?

Might as well be, you know, honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

scapulataf posted:

It'll show up in a driver's abstract. When I give then my Driver's license number, they run it through the system.
"Hey, this guy didn't tell us that his license was suspended for a year? That seems like it would be hard to forget, what else isn't he telling us"?

Might as well be, you know, honest.

Yeah, they'll find that poo poo and come down on you if you don't spill it up front.