Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Er, yeah quite possibly. I was sure they were older than that, and not as dirty, more chipped paint with metal showing than brown. Whatever I have an unreliable memory and those are awesome regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

PaintVagrant can you post pics of those rad yellow marines you did? I'm really tempted to start painting some Lamenters and it'll probably tip me over the edge

I just crossposted 'em in the 40K thread too.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fix posted:

I literally hate you jerks who can paint nice, straight highlight lines. I keep trying to get smooth, thin, straight lines, but :cry:.

For the most part the lines are straight, but stuff that's hard to reach, like the exhaust sides where the Lascannons cover look like thick jerky stripes. I didn't put the tanks together. If I did, I could have prevented that.

You probably do this but it's still worth mentioning. Just use the side of the brush up against the edge to get a perfet straight, thin line. This mostly works with boxier things and angled edges. My Tau tanks have more curves making my usual line highlighting more and more difficult.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Er, yeah quite possibly. I was sure they were older than that, and not as dirty, more chipped paint with metal showing than brown. Whatever I have an unreliable memory and those are awesome regardless

You're not wrong, you're thinking of the Marines Malevolent he did like a year and a half ago.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
At what stage of painting and basing is it best to apply gloss and dullcote? Prior to putting down any base? Once base and paint have been colored, but before static grass/reeds/etc? After everything is done?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I do it after the base is done but before static grass. No matter how much you blow off the grass I always get some stuck to the model by the varnish spray.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Nope, this

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

Make sure to get flat white.

Paint as primer? You hardcore mini-painters live on the edge of madness!

I picked some up today, though. I'll try it out on a test mini or something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If I could do it all over again, I would not have fully assembled this Sentinel before painting. Goddamn.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Hermetic posted:

Paint as primer? You hardcore mini-painters live on the edge of madness!

I picked some up today, though. I'll try it out on a test mini or something.

:catdrugs:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You're not wrong, you're thinking of the Marines Malevolent he did like a year and a half ago.

these

Which are still collecting dust on my shelf. Anyone want them? I promise Ill dust them for $$$

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 19, 2010

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Why do I always end up after PV's stuff. Life isnt fair.

Finished the first of the 5 Sternguard I've painting in Blood Raven colours. I'll wait till the lot of them and the bases are finished to do proper photos.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I really enjoyed not trying to overpaint it. Kept things simple with basic blending and sped through it.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Just finished these. I am the slowest painter, but I think they turned out pretty good.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

PaintVagrant posted:

:catdrugs:

Hot drat. I want them but they'd show up the rest of my dudes!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

PaintVagrant posted:

Nope, this

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

Make sure to get flat white.

does the paint as opposed to primer actually work better, or is the difference negligible and paint's easier to get?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Finished up my Trollblood battlebox and want to varnish them, the standard method for metal minatures is matte varnish over gloss isn't it?

Are there any special tricks i should know or things to be aware of before i start.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Which are still collecting dust on my shelf. Anyone want them? I promise Ill dust them for $$$

Depends on the price you want for them, but I'd love at least one. Just so I can look at it and cry over my failures.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

does the paint as opposed to primer actually work better, or is the difference negligible and paint's easier to get?

Flat spray paint and primer arent really that different. The flat-ness of it gives it a good amount of tooth, and because its a spray its still pretty durable. I find that the primers dont seem to dry nearly as consistently. I also found that krylon primers seemed to not handle winter weather very well, the black primer cracked while drying in sub 30 degree weather. Krylon flat spray never had that issue.

To be perfectly honest, my favorite spray primers are p3 sprays, which are made by krylon, use the same "sheet" style of spray tip. Im almost positive that p3 primer is just rebadged krylon white and black.

edit: Id probably want about $80 for that MM squad.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I use a vallejo primer that you can run through your airbrush if the weather is bad. its great but you have to be a little more careful since you can accidently overspray the primer if you aren't paying attention.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm using Krylon flat paint as a primer in 45 degree weather and it runs like a sonofabitch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

edit: Id probably want about $80 for that MM squad.

Alas... Thanks for responding though!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

I'm using Krylon flat paint as a primer in 45 degree weather and it runs like a sonofabitch.

Use thinner coats, wait a few minutes between the coats. Its a very thin paint, so if it builds up at all it will run.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, I'm mostly picking up Chaos Space Marines battle box! Still pretty amateur with painting, not sure what the best way would be for some Iron Warriors?

I was thinking:
Spray with a nice yellow base coat
Paint drat near everything boltgun metal
Dry brush with other, lighter metal colors
Emphasize the yellow undercoat with Sunburst yellow
Paint over the yellow with Chaos black to make the stripe pattern

Unable to find any good tutorials online, what I did find was it seems like other people base coat it black, dry brush their metals on-- and then don't explain how to do the stripes?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Sab669 posted:

So, I'm mostly picking up Chaos Space Marines battle box! Still pretty amateur with painting, not sure what the best way would be for some Iron Warriors?

I was thinking:

Unable to find any good tutorials online, what I did find was it seems like other people base coat it black, dry brush their metals on-- and then don't explain how to do the stripes?

Oh god don't start with yellow. Prime black, put on boltgun, wash with badab black and highlight with boltgun or chainmail if you want brighter highlights. Paint the parts you want yellow with iyanden darksun and whatever shade of yellow tickles your fancy on top. Then do the stripes with chaos black like you said.

Iyanden darksun is a Foundation yellow paint with a lot more pigment than the basic yellows, so it's good for getting the base yellow down over whatever.

Also although drybrushing is an easy way to get highlights, it tends to look lovely on stuff with a lot of flat area, like Marine armour. It's good for getting quick highlights on stuff with a lot of detail like fur, though. Just do the highlights by hand, it'll teach you better brush control and it's an essential skill for painting drat near anything.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sab669 posted:

I was thinking:

Chenghiz gave you pretty much the right tutorial for this. For my yellow, I do Iyanden Darksun then Sunburst Yellow over it. Here's some of my Iron Warriors showing this:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Just finished these. I am the slowest painter, but I think they turned out pretty good.

Those are incredibly awesome looking.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You might want to invest in another 3 guys, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I looked at GW's site for a nice yellow foundation, but I didn't see anything good- I'll look at that Iyandunwhatever color next time I'm at my local shop.

Also, do you just do 1 coat of that / 1 coat of another yellow / then do black? And do you just have a steady hand, or do you use any sort of painters tape or anything? My hands shake a lot.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I personally use masking tape for my stripes. It's really the easiest way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any. I was trying to do some priming yesterday (not miniatures, if it matters) and took PVs advice of getting everything ready inside, and then just stepping out into the cold for a couple minutes to actually do the spraying. I got maybe two or three bursts in before the can gave up and just quit spraying - not lovely, it just literally doesn't do anything when you push down the button. It's still almost full, you can feel that from the weight and rattle, but even after bringing it back in it doesn't seem to want to spray again.

Anyone have a clue as to what I did? The only thing I can think of is that it was cold enough to freeze some paint in the nozzle, and now it's dried in there as it's melted, so I have popped those off to try and clean them in simple green. Huge pain in the rear end, and I don't want to go out and buy more spraypaint just to repeat this.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ashcans posted:

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any. I was trying to do some priming yesterday (not miniatures, if it matters) and took PVs advice of getting everything ready inside, and then just stepping out into the cold for a couple minutes to actually do the spraying. I got maybe two or three bursts in before the can gave up and just quit spraying - not lovely, it just literally doesn't do anything when you push down the button. It's still almost full, you can feel that from the weight and rattle, but even after bringing it back in it doesn't seem to want to spray again.

Anyone have a clue as to what I did? The only thing I can think of is that it was cold enough to freeze some paint in the nozzle, and now it's dried in there as it's melted, so I have popped those off to try and clean them in simple green. Huge pain in the rear end, and I don't want to go out and buy more spraypaint just to repeat this.

Had this problem with that textured spray stuff you can get, just let the spraycan sit in a bowl of warm water for a bit*. It'll sort itself out.

* I sat mine in front of an electric heater for just a few minutes, did the trick nicely but I wouldn't leave it there too much longer than I did.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A friend of mine from the local game store gave me a tip for making tall grass on bases. Twine! Took some twine, cut off short bits of it and used superglue to attach it to the base. The superglue climbs right up the twine bits and makes them super rigid.

I tried it first on my old sentinel to experiment. My goal was to make it look like the sentinel was stepping on grass and making it fold over. This is how it turned out.

I might go in and put a little paint on the grass to make it look a tad more natural. Also, the rocks there are pieces of cork painted grey.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Master Twig posted:

That looks really good. I am probably going to steal that idea.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I should also add that cutting the twine REALLY short (like 1mm long short) over a small container is a nice way to make smaller basing grass if you don't want to buy the GW basing grass. Though it takes a long time to get a useful amount.

Edit: Just finished painting these vets. The grass on the one with the vox caster has the small bits of the twine cut to make grass.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 21, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Was the can used prior to this session? It might have just been sort of gummed up. I dont think paint should freeze instantly in the nozzle like that unless its incredibly cold outside.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I use a vallejo primer that you can run through your airbrush if the weather is bad.

Are you talking about the foundation white? I've been using that through my airbrush and it makes for a beautiful base, but it's kind of slow going because of how thin it needs to be. Also, it doesn't seem to adhere to the models very well, but maybe that is due to poor prepwork on my part. Or maybe I need to thin it with something other than Windex.

I'd be interested in trying out other white airbrush primers if anybody has any suggestions.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
edit n/m found the answer I was looking for

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 21, 2010

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Are you talking about the foundation white? I've been using that through my airbrush and it makes for a beautiful base, but it's kind of slow going because of how thin it needs to be. Also, it doesn't seem to adhere to the models very well, but maybe that is due to poor prepwork on my part. Or maybe I need to thin it with something other than Windex.

I'd be interested in trying out other white airbrush primers if anybody has any suggestions.

nope is a specific primer made for airbrushes

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/primers-gb.html

best used for plastics becuse it doesn't create the strongest bond with metal.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
After many many annoying painting related questions i've finally got my first batch of trolls done, any comments or criticism would be appreciated.

Grim Angus:

Madrak the Angry Flower:

Troll Impaler:

Troll Axer:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Was the can used prior to this session? It might have just been sort of gummed up. I dont think paint should freeze instantly in the nozzle like that unless its incredibly cold outside.

Yea, I had used it before but not very much - I'm generally pretty good about clearing the nozzle before putting paint away, but it's possible it was gummed up anyway. It was about 25F outside when I tried spraying, I don't think that qualifies as cold enough for instant freezing?

I'll try the can again tonight with the cleaned nozzle and hopefully a warmer setting (I'm going to set up a booth in the basement instead of stepping outside) and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bah. Took another try at spraying, this time in the basement, and the same thing happened again. I got a bit more time out of the can before it quit, but still only a couple seconds worth. The basement is at 60F, so I don't know what's going on. I'll try inside the house I guess, but maybe I just have a lovely can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Bah. Took another try at spraying, this time in the basement, and the same thing happened again. I got a bit more time out of the can before it quit, but still only a couple seconds worth. The basement is at 60F, so I don't know what's going on. I'll try inside the house I guess, but maybe I just have a lovely can.

Spray it upside down for a bit, it might clear the tip. Otherwise just trash it and get another one.

• Locked thread