Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Hockles posted:

I was super excited to hear about Scream 4. Then I saw the trailer, and went "ehh." I'm really disappointed now.

I had the opposite reaction. I was horrified when I heard about the new movie, but the trailer looks a lot of fun. The meta appears to have returned, what with the new rules.....does this even need to be spoiled? so I'm actually pretty thrilled with the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
They need to remake Silent Night, Deadly Night. Was watching it last night and I still think it's decent but could be improved. I think the direction on it's pretty flat and some of it is pretty cheesy.
To be honest I think the Halloween remake is closer to Silent Night Deadly night then Halloween.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Slasherfan posted:

To be honest I think the Halloween remake is closer to Silent Night Deadly night then Halloween.

I've been telling everyone I know this since the Halloween remake came out. Unfortunately, once I tell them what Silent Night, Deadly Night is about they refuse to watch it. I need new friends.

I love SNDN, and I think I like it more after each viewing. The direction is very flat and straightforward, but nothing beats the early-mid eighties Christmas look this movie's got. The "art direction" and original Christmas music are what really make this movie work for me.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watching Paranormal Entity, and damned if it's not actually better than the first Paranormal Activity (and a damned sight better than the second one).

Kinda rare for one of those ultra low budget flicks to be decent, but so far so good.

I refuse to believe an Asylum flick could be better than the thing it's ripping off. Clearly you mixed the two up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Technetium posted:

I refuse to believe an Asylum flick could be better than the thing it's ripping off. Clearly you mixed the two up.

Yeah, I hear that from the rare person every now and then, but they're objectively wrong. Entity is horrible.

However, both are on Netflix Instant (or were last I checked) so decide if you want to be wrong for yourself. :)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No way is it good as Paranormal Activity but it is totally better than PA2.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Awesome Andy posted:

The world needs a BASKET CASE remake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
The world needs no remakes. At all. Ever.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'll say this about Entity, it's the best Asylum flick I've seen so far.

But that's really not saying much and no way is it better than Activity.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

zombieman posted:

You've got to be loving kidding.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
It's not a remake, it's an adaptation of original material. :colbert:

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So someone adapt Basket Case into a movie where the monster is more than a ball of silly putty that kills people by having them rub it vigorously against themselves.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

zombieman posted:

It's not a remake, it's an adaptation of original material. :colbert:

I agree with this guy. That original version really had no part to do with the book except for setting/location.

Plus, the greatness of The Thing in comparison with all other remakes shows an unacceptably high rate of failure/shittiness. I'm starved for new material. How can so many of you keep lowering your standards and just give yourselves over to paying good money to see remakes and prequels and sequels?

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 20, 2010

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hope this is the right place to ask, I did a google search across the forums, and came up with nothing, so...

Anybody know anything about the upcoming "Apollo 18" movie?

The poster looks vaguely horror-esque.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask, I did a google search across the forums, and came up with nothing, so...

The tagline literally made me burst out laughing.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

It's another found footage movie apparently.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Its a found footage movie about the last Apollo mission to the mooon, which NASA claims never happened but urban legend (Coast to coast AM kind of stuff) claims did happen. According to this legend, undeniable evidence of the proof of alien life was found, so the government 'buried' the mission. The movie just states that the alien life is hostile and probably finds human flesh pretty tasty.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
I don't know if it's just me or the poo poo country I live in that may be terribly delayed but are horror movies just lacking lately?
In quantity as well as quality?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

As IceNiner said it's a found footage film where the Apollo 18 crew end up meeting aliens on the moon that are all evil but the main reason there isn't a lot of information out about the film is that it has been rushed into production to try and be released before Oren Pelis (director of Paranormal Activity) similar alien/found footage film Area 51 comes out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IceNiner posted:

I agree with this guy. That original version really had no part to do with the book except for setting/location.

Plus, the greatness of The Thing in comparison with all other remakes shows an unacceptably high rate of failure/shittiness. I'm starved for new material. How can so many of you keep lowering your standards and just give yourselves over to paying good money to see remakes and prequels and sequels?
As long as movies like...

Ben Hur
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78
The Blob
The Fly
Fistful of Dollars
Heat (may as well be one)
Little Shop of Horrors
Magnificent Seven
Man on Fire
Scent of a Woman
Ten Commandments
True Lies

...(and I'm only naming remakes that are either better than the originals or great movies in their own right, not ones that are good or "pretty good" and not as good as the originals but still okay) exist, then forever?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

zombieman posted:

There are plenty of really good remakes actually. The Thing, Last House on the Left (the original was a remake of a Bergman film), Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, and I'm even prepared to argue that the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty good. For that matter, Let Me In was a good film too.

More importantly ...

What I think is that movies reflect what's going on in society, and especially so in the horror genre. In the atomic age, there were movies about giant radioactive ants, during the red scare there were bodysnatchers, and when America lost its innocence toward the end of the 60s and the early 70s, the horror genre took a turn for the disturbing and visceral.

What's happening now? We're repeating the mistakes and fears of that generation from the 70s (and the innocence of the 90s has been lost too). It therefore makes perfect sense that the horror genre would start literally repeating itself and that era in particular.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Darko posted:

As long as movies like...

Ben Hur
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78
The Blob
The Fly
Fistful of Dollars
Heat (may as well be one)
Little Shop of Horrors
Magnificent Seven
Man on Fire
Scent of a Woman
Ten Commandments
True Lies

...(and I'm only naming remakes that are either better than the originals or great movies in their own right, not ones that are good or "pretty good" and not as good as the originals but still okay) exist, then forever?

Well, if you want to be unnecessarily picky and count a change in format (as in from silent film to modern sound movies) go ahead and keep with that mindset. I also notice that all of those 'remakes' are almost all over the 2 or 3 decades old mark. And no, Heat is not a remake. Try coming up with a list of good remakes from the last decade then compare that with the lovely attempts from the same time period and see which is longer. The list of lovely remakes is still much longer and I stand by that despite your handful of picks there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IceNiner posted:

Well, if you want to be unnecessarily picky and count a change in format (as in from silent film to modern sound movies) go ahead and keep with that mindset. I also notice that all of those 'remakes' are almost all over the 2 or 3 decades old mark. And no, Heat is not a remake. Try coming up with a list of good remakes from the last decade then compare that with the lovely attempts from the same time period and see which is longer. The list of lovely remakes is still much longer and I stand by that despite your handful of picks there.

The list of "lovely" remakes is no different than the list of "lovely" movies in general in ratio of quality to crap.

Like with all films, most remakes are forgettable (Taking of Pelham) or decent (The Crazies) with some being bad (The Wicker Man) and some being good (The Departed), and some being better than the original but still not great (The Hills Have Eyes) and some being pretty much equal to the original and arguable either way (Let Me In, Quarantine). There's no point to single out remakes/sequels/adaptions because they've ALWAYS been made and have the same good to bad ratio as films in general. It's a silly argument that doesn't really understand the history of film. The quality of film isn't the "source" so much as it is the team behind the film in itself. When a good director does a remake or any other type of film, it's generally a good film, but there are only so many good directors (as shorthand).

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Darko posted:

The list of "lovely" remakes is no different than the list of "lovely" movies in general in ratio of quality to crap.

Like with all films, most remakes are forgettable (Taking of Pelham) or decent (The Crazies) with some being bad (The Wicker Man) and some being good (The Departed), and some being better than the original but still not great (The Hills Have Eyes) and some being pretty much equal to the original and arguable either way (Let Me In, Quarantine). There's no point to single out remakes/sequels/adaptions because they've ALWAYS been made and have the same good to bad ratio as films in general. It's a silly argument that doesn't really understand the history of film. The quality of film isn't the "source" so much as it is the team behind the film in itself. When a good director does a remake or any other type of film, it's generally a good film, but there are only so many good directors (as shorthand).

We'll just have to disagree. I'm in the camp that wants to see something new tried instead of the 6th or 7th remake of I am Legend or The Invasion of the body snatchers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Why do you think it's an either/or situation?

Generally, studios do sequels/remakes/adaptions because they're guaranteed money. If a director proves himself with this, he can normally make something original. It's always been this way; the earliest films were adaptions of plays/The Bible/history and it's not ever going to change.

So, for instance, Spielberg got his start with adaptations (Duel, Jaws), and was then able to make original movies with Close Encounters and Indiana Jones. Snyder remade Dawn of the Dead and adapted 300 and Watchmen and the Owl movie before his original thing. David Fincher's first movie was a second sequel and now he's directing The Social Network. You get your directors that start original, ie. The Coens or Scorcese from getting noticed from a smaller film, but the ratio has typically stayed the same for forever.

I'm just saying that your gripes are misdirected. What you want is more good directors making original horror, but, for the most part, horror is a genre that good directors start with and then move away from - which is why the genre generally suffers. You get a Kubrick that visits it late in their career (still an adaptation) extremely rarely.

Even still, it's not an either/or situation. Adaptations/remakes/sequels are a constant necessity in order to keep films in production in general.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

IceNiner posted:

We'll just have to disagree. I'm in the camp that wants to see something new tried instead of the 6th or 7th remake of I am Legend or The Invasion of the body snatchers.

This won't happen until the studio systems change and sorry, they're not going to anytime soon. They need a horror flick in your local cinema so people on dates will go to that if the guy wins the coin-toss & even then if it's a choice between an unknown, original horror or a remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 then he's going to go with the safe option in what he knows and potentially avoid sitting through a 12 minute anal-rape-with-a-garden-gnome scene with his date.

I'd rather spend my energy pushing for semi-talented directors to get the remake jobs rather than yes-men who won't bother the studio to make the film better. Say what you like about Halloween or The Hills Have Eyes but at least they have a semblance of effort when compared to ANoES or anything produced by Platinum Dunes.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Darko posted:

Why do you think it's an either/or situation?

Generally, studios do sequels/remakes/adaptions because they're guaranteed money. If a director proves himself with this, he can normally make something original. It's always been this way; the earliest films were adaptions of plays/The Bible/history and it's not ever going to change.

So, for instance, Spielberg got his start with adaptations (Duel, Jaws), and was then able to make original movies with Close Encounters and Indiana Jones. Snyder remade Dawn of the Dead and adapted 300 and Watchmen and the Owl movie before his original thing. David Fincher's first movie was a second sequel and now he's directing The Social Network. You get your directors that start original, ie. The Coens or Scorcese from getting noticed from a smaller film, but the ratio has typically stayed the same for forever.

I'm just saying that your gripes are misdirected. What you want is more good directors making original horror, but, for the most part, horror is a genre that good directors start with and then move away from - which is why the genre generally suffers. You get a Kubrick that visits it late in their career (still an adaptation) extremely rarely.

Even still, it's not an either/or situation. Adaptations/remakes/sequels are a constant necessity in order to keep films in production in general.

I don't put adaptations like Watchmen or 300 or Shakespeare works in the same boat. In fact, I'd rather see more adaptations from books done rather than more sequels/prequels/remakes. I can put out a lot more book titles that could make good movies rather than see yet more remakes of the same movie every couple of years. While I believe modern Hollywood to be idea-bankrupt, a lot of decent books/graphic novels are still being made.

Invasion of the body snatchers has been remade what, 5 times now? Are the majority of those movies 'good' or 'bad'? I am Legend has been made probably about the same amount of times. Do they come out with the majority of them being good or bad? Are the majority of the Ten Commandments remakes good or bad? IMO they are mostly lovely, not just 'forgettable'.

Horror movies don't really need to have big budget studio power behind them. The 70s and 80s low budget classics proved that. The French and Spanish are putting out some great original horror stuff that are not big budget and are not remakes. In addition, a lot of the remakes Hollywood is making right now are (even worse) watered down remakes. You know that there is a slew of bullshit PG-13 'horror' that the studios have been passing off now and I'm tired of them. (and hence I don't pay to see them) I don't see how having a desire for new horror is a 'misdirected gripe'. It doesn't take a tremendous ton of talent to make horror (see Tobe Hooper) but I believe it does take a more daring mindset in the studios which I don't see as much nowadays and I've been around for a bit now.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

This won't happen until the studio systems change and sorry, they're not going to anytime soon. They need a horror flick in your local cinema so people on dates will go to that if the guy wins the coin-toss & even then if it's a choice between an unknown, original horror or a remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 then he's going to go with the safe option in what he knows and potentially avoid sitting through a 12 minute anal-rape-with-a-garden-gnome scene with his date.

I'd rather spend my energy pushing for semi-talented directors to get the remake jobs rather than yes-men who won't bother the studio to make the film better. Say what you like about Halloween or The Hills Have Eyes but at least they have a semblance of effort when compared to ANoES or anything produced by Platinum Dunes.

I didn't say it was going to change any time soon. I simply stated I was in the group desiring more original material.

Look at it this way, how many of you looked more forward to The Walking Dead series rather than that last so-called effort by George Romero? One was a sequel and one is an original adaptation though both based on a similar theme. Ignoring that now that the first season of Walking Dead is over, I think a lot of you guys would be lying if you claimed you were looking forward to more Romero zombies than Walking Dead. And even though I found the show kind of disappointing since its been straying so far from the source material, its popularity and high ratings show that the desire for something other than remakes is there. Its just not being taken advantage of.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BisonDollah posted:

I liked the TCM remake better than both of those, and the Friday the 13th remake a lot more than Halloween 1 or 2 or Hills Have Eyes 2.

Platinum Dunes is fine for "remaking franchises that turned into a bunch of lovely sequels in the 80's," which is generally what they do. The NOES remake was pretty bad, but that was due to it lacking the imagination of the sequels and being a less interesting retread of the first movie, which makes it a generally pointless movie. The Fthe13th remake was better than the vast majority of F13 sequels and fits right in with the series, and the TCM remake was better than any of the TCM sequels, and most of the 2000s horror movies, for that matter. It wasn't as good as the original, but that's an impossibility, due to what makes the original good in the first place.

The Hitcher was rather dumb, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IceNiner posted:

I didn't say it was going to change any time soon. I simply stated I was in the group desiring more original material.

Look at it this way, how many of you looked more forward to The Walking Dead series rather than that last so-called effort by George Romero? One was a sequel and one is an original adaptation though both based on a similar theme. Ignoring that now that the first season of Walking Dead is over, I think a lot of you guys would be lying if you claimed you were looking forward to more Romero zombies than Walking Dead. And even though I found the show kind of disappointing since its been straying so far from the source material, its popularity and high ratings show that the desire for something other than remakes is there. Its just not being taken advantage of.

The Walking Dead is a hugely medicore comic series, and the ONLY reason I was looking forward to the show at all was hoping that Darabont shone through more than Kirkman in it, due to Darabont's directorial pedigree. Unfortunately, the first episode, the only one Darabont directed, was the only one that was good, with the later episodes devolving into the same flaws that plague the comic, just in different ways (outside of the season finale).

Romero is a bad director that happened to hit the bullseye once (and make harmless, cheesy stuff around the same time that was varying levels of entertaining), whose flaws got more apparent with each new movie that he made and with each new larger budget remake of his stuff being ok but still better than the original (Dawn 2004, The Crazies, possibly Assault...). So I'd never look forward to a new movie of his again, as he has nothing left to say as a director.

It's a bad comparison because it's not the MATERIAL that's causing the anticipation for anyone that really follows film, it's the PEDIGREE. If it was a choice between me looking at, let's say 'Zack Snyder makes a sequel to Dawn 2004,' or 'Steven Spielberg decides to remake Martin' or something like that, I'd anticipate them more than Darabont's original series based on a mediocre comic.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Darko posted:

The Walking Dead is a hugely medicore comic series, and the ONLY reason I was looking forward to the show at all was hoping that Darabont shone through more than Kirkman in it, due to Darabont's directorial pedigree. Unfortunately, the first episode, the only one Darabont directed, was the only one that was good, with the later episodes devolving into the same flaws that plague the comic, just in different ways (outside of the season finale).

Romero is a bad director that happened to hit the bullseye once (and make harmless, cheesy stuff around the same time that was varying levels of entertaining), whose flaws got more apparent with each new movie that he made and with each new larger budget remake of his stuff being ok but still better than the original (Dawn 2004, The Crazies, possibly Assault...). So I'd never look forward to a new movie of his again, as he has nothing left to say as a director.

It's a bad comparison because it's not the MATERIAL that's causing the anticipation for anyone that really follows film, it's the PEDIGREE. If it was a choice between me looking at, let's say 'Zack Snyder makes a sequel to Dawn 2004,' or 'Steven Spielberg decides to remake Martin' or something like that, I'd anticipate them more than Darabont's original series based on a mediocre comic.

Ha! I knew you were looking forward to Walking Dead! :razz:

I don't see how its a bad comparison at all. You decry the Walking Dead material as being mediocre but apparently you're continuing to buy the comics and read them if you're so up on its 'flaws'. You stuck around and watched the rest of the non-Darabont season as well too apparently. If its something that didn't appeal to you, you would not have tuned in to watch it. I've seen the first couple of Harry Potter movies and didn't see what the hype was about them and even if Darren Aronofsky was going to make the next one I wouldn't go see it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darko posted:

Romero is a bad director that happened to hit the bullseye once

Have you ever seen Martin?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I like alot of remakes, so much that I won't admit them here.
I'd love to see Silent Night, Deadly Night redone, I remember hearing of it awhile ago but then nothing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IceNiner posted:

Ha! I knew you were looking forward to Walking Dead! :razz:

I don't see how its a bad comparison at all. You decry the Walking Dead material as being mediocre but apparently you're continuing to buy the comics and read them if you're so up on its 'flaws'. You stuck around and watched the rest of the non-Darabont season as well too apparently. If its something that didn't appeal to you, you would not have tuned in to watch it. I've seen the first couple of Harry Potter movies and didn't see what the hype was about them and even if Darren Aronofsky was going to make the next one I wouldn't go see it.

I can walk in a comic store and read comics without buying them and Darabont still produced/wrote the other episodes of Walking Dead :)

As for your Harry Potter comparison, I watched the third because Cuaron (sp) was directing it, even though I thought the first two were horribly mediocre, and it turned out to be a good thing. Once again, director over source.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

Have you ever seen Martin?

Yeah, I place that in the same range as I would Creepshow. Has a certain kind of charm and kind of interesting, but I wouldn't call it a "good" film, at the same time (although I wouldn't place it as bad either).

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Darko posted:

I can walk in a comic store and read comics without buying them and Darabont still produced/wrote the other episodes of Walking Dead :)

As for your Harry Potter comparison, I watched the third because Cuaron (sp) was directing it, even though I thought the first two were horribly mediocre, and it turned out to be a good thing. Once again, director over source.

So! Not only are you in denial about liking the Walking Dead, you are a cheapskate library patron at the comic shop! Sir, you offend me! :monocle:

And what, someone tied you up in a chair and made you watch the rest of the tv show as well too? Every Sunday night you were kidnapped and held in front of a tv set?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

To say the Dawn remake is better than the original is a travesty sir :gonk:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IceNiner posted:

So! Not only are you in denial about liking the Walking Dead, you are a cheapskate library patron at the comic shop! Sir, you offend me! :monocle:

And what, someone tied you up in a chair and made you watch the rest of the tv show as well too? Every Sunday night you were kidnapped and held in front of a tv set?

I'd chew my arms off. Walking Dead sucks in all forms.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I'll say this about Entity, it's the best Asylum flick I've seen so far.

But that's really not saying much and no way is it better than Activity.

Better than Mega Shark VS Giant Octopus? Better than the Day the Earth Stopped? :aaa:

Also that Apollo 18 movie looks fantastic I cannot wait for a found footage movie about evil moon aliens.

I'm planning on watching Santa's Slay tonight too to get in the holiday spirit. I haven't seen it yet but heard surprisingly decently mediocre things about it so I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Darko posted:

I liked the TCM remake better than both of those, and the Friday the 13th remake a lot more than Halloween 1 or 2 or Hills Have Eyes 2.

Platinum Dunes is fine for "remaking franchises that turned into a bunch of lovely sequels in the 80's," which is generally what they do. The NOES remake was pretty bad, but that was due to it lacking the imagination of the sequels and being a less interesting retread of the first movie, which makes it a generally pointless movie. The Fthe13th remake was better than the vast majority of F13 sequels and fits right in with the series, and the TCM remake was better than any of the TCM sequels, and most of the 2000s horror movies, for that matter. It wasn't as good as the original, but that's an impossibility, due to what makes the original good in the first place.

The Hitcher was rather dumb, though.

The films that Platinum Dunes produce may rarely deliver something fun like R. Lee Ermey in the TCM remake but for me they are the best example of lazy, cash-in cinema. I can at least appreciate something like the massive deviation in Rob Zombie's Halloween and recognise it as a little effort & thought, even though the film doesn't hold a candle to the original it doesn't really matter because it's a totally different experience.