Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I genuinely feel bad for him because there are more than a few people who shop at my store that flat out WILL NOT buy anything from him, and THE SHACK is heavily sales goal-oriented and we're commissioned, so losing sales always sucks.

I'm sure his DM would tell him to stop being Vietnamese. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

manguero posted:

I'm sure his DM would tell him to stop being Vietnamese. :colbert:

I think you mean "tell him to make his skin more American, we only deal with Americans in here!"

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Woo Hoo! Got our Xmas present from corporate today!

A 4" Poinsettia plant that we sell, and could buy for $1.50, except the employees never do because we throw them away by the cartload each day since no one has time to water them all.

I wasn't really expecting anything at all from corporate, but the loving plant we all hate because it's such a pain in the rear end to clean up around the store is kind of an insult.

Oh, and the President's "Thank You" letter was in Comic Sans.

More than one co-worker is seriously thinking of quitting just because of this lame token gift.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Meow Cadet posted:

Woo Hoo! Got our Xmas present from corporate today!

A 4" Poinsettia plant that we sell, and could buy for $1.50, except the employees never do because we throw them away by the cartload each day since no one has time to water them all.

I wasn't really expecting anything at all from corporate, but the loving plant we all hate because it's such a pain in the rear end to clean up around the store is kind of an insult.

Oh, and the President's "Thank You" letter was in Comic Sans.

More than one co-worker is seriously thinking of quitting just because of this lame token gift.

This makes me appreciate the greenback in an envelope we got today even more.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
At my company, the christmas gift is that our employee discount is 10% instead of 5%. 'Merry Christmas, now give us your money'.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Dog Blogs Man posted:

At my company, the christmas gift is that our employee discount is 10% instead of 5%. 'Merry Christmas, now give us your money'.

Wow, what a lovely discount.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
tl;dr don't eat anything from fast food if you can't see it cooked and prepared from start to finish.

Oh god, retail. I'm finally out of that hell hole of an occupation, but the memories haunt me.

Why would you berate someone who is in charge of cooking and serving your food? Now, I'm not saying I would EVER do anything to anyone's food, I wouldn't, but common sense says that if someone is providing you a service, you are polite to them. Ah, common sense.

I worked at a fast food restaurant. We were the only fast food place open after midnight within the reasonable Drunk Driving area. We got hit hard every single weekend. Every. Single. Weekend. I was the only employee who would show up for their shifts (every. single. weekend.) so, naturally, I was the most abused. I made time as often as I could. Management was completely irrational. My boss seriously expected us to hit under four minutes, on Cinco De Mayo, with cars WRAPPED AROUND OUR BUILDING drat NEAR BLOCKING THE EXIT FOR CARS AT THE WINDOW.

If you've never been a drunk in a fast food line, EVERYONE orders at least 25$ in food. Thats not including the people who order 50$+ in food. Everyone is angry they had to wait longer than half a second for their food. They don't care that the person in front of them ordered 7 of the most complicated, time consuming sandwich we offer, or that they ordered five more of the same sandwich. It should just all appear at the window, RIGHT NOW.

Then there was the time I almost got written up*. I had been called in, as a part time worker, for 25 extra hours a week. Doesn't sound like much, right? Well, add in the 20-30 hours I was already working. Plus my other, 60 hour a week job. Yeah, my current job doesn't have to worry about my OTHER job, but somehow (between the two) I always managed to come in when they called me. So, 45 hours minimum (part time! No health insurance!) at ONE job. A management shift change happened. Suddenly we have a new manager who, for whatever reason, PERSONALLY doesn't like me.

I'm not saying I'm the alpha worker, i'm not saying I'm wonderful at customer service. What I am saying is that the new manager (because she didn't like me) hired two people to do what I did at twice the time. Now, if that didn't make sense, it took TWO PEOPLE (one taking orders, one cashing out orders) TWICE AS LONG to do what I did BY MYSELF. My team lead was miserable because he was getting bitched out about ALL OF THE SUDDEN going over time constantly since I got pulled from graveyard. Also, if I wasn't on shift, my team lead didn't get his (LEGALLY MANDATED) lunches or breaks. I was the only employee empathetic enough to tell him to go sit down for 15 or 30 minutes. I was also the only employee who could run every single station and it remotely resemble anything sanitary. There was the grill guy who served RAW BACON (RAW loving BACON) to customers to save time. He also served RAW MEAT (our patties came raw). He would pull deep fry food early to save time too, which isn't a hazard most of the time unless you take into consideration RAW FISH. Oh, and who could forget the grill guy who let his sweat drip directly into the food and called it flavoring.

When I brought this to new-manager's attention, she told me to stop complaining about other employees not doing their job or doing their job poorly. I reported this place to the health department and from what I can tell from online reports is that they called the manager to inquire and when the manager denied it, they took it on face value.

So what I'm saying here is never eat fast food. Even if no one spits in your food, you'll wish they did because thats the least unsanitary thing they could do.

fake edit: Oh yeah, then theres the fact we didnt have hot water for a week (which means no possible way of sanitizing ANYTHING), and the meat that was just left sitting out that we were ordered to use. Also, that "rusty red" color that was in our ice. I hope it was just rust!

*Dear god, I almost forgot to write about what started that entire rant. I was threatened with a write up because when a customer threatened to physically assault me, I shut the window and refused further service. Now, mind you, this was after they had paid and after they had received their food, so they weren't being denied anything they had paid for. Customer wanted free food, I told them (in politer terms) that they weren't getting anything free and they threatened to hit me so I shut the window and walked off. In the end, naturally, they got a bunch of free food at the window (and I'm sure they got coupons for free food) and I got reprimanded for ensuring I didn't get physically assaulted in the most professional, passive manner possible. Or, as management put it, "for not providing good customer service."

If thats what customer service is, gently caress CUSTOMER SERVICE!*

*I will provide exceptional, back breaking, customer service to any customer that has actually been slighted, cheated, or otherwise ACTUALLY deserving of said service. People trying to cheat me out of poo poo when theres only two people on staff and I know you got what you asked for? Suck a dick.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 17, 2010

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
My loving area manager.

The shithead tried to stop me from applying a credit to a customer's account today to fix a mistake someone else in our store made because he didn't see 'why I should pay for it'.

Look, gently caress-knuckle. If you want to avoid having to pay for poo poo like this, hire intelligent staff, train them well and pay them enough to care.

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
Before I post, I just want to check whether what I am doing counts. I am currently working in warehouses/distribution centres for retail. Close enough? Obviously no customer stories but one or two about the work and management.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Yuncemil posted:

Before I post, I just want to check whether what I am doing counts. I am currently working in warehouses/distribution centres for retail. Close enough? Obviously no customer stories but one or two about the work and management.

there really isn't another work bitching thread around, so it's usually okay.

I can't bitch lately because work's actually been good since I blew up and told them i wanted to loving quit. Today I helped two other guys use a crowbar to damage an unsellable. Oh the release of tension. :toot:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Yuncemil posted:

In my opinion, Management is the worst part of retail before customers. If I had to choose between lovely customers and lovely management, I would choose customers every single time. I would say your job qualifies for this thread especially after my RAGE!SPERG! post :|

edit: I feel compelled to add an antithesis-to-the-thread post.

There was one guy (say, call him Albert) who got trapped in drive thru on a busy weekend. The guy in front of him ordered $50+ worth of food. Albert ordered one cheeseburger, $1.30 worth of food. Oh god, I felt so bad. I was graveyard, so I had some leeway, and just outright told the dude there would be a really long wait because of the car in front of him. Albert said a car was behind him and he wasn't in any kind of rush. At least FIFTEEN TO TWENTY MINUTES LATER, Albert gets to the window for his one cheeseburger. I absolutely ensure its made as fresh as possible (i.e. the patty had just finished cooking when he got to the window) and offered him a free drink for being so polite and patient. I believe he took a sprite. I thanked him for not losing his mind over something I couldn't control and he told me he hoped my night slowed down and I could relax.

edit: corporate says graveyard is not allowed to park customers in the parking lot due to employee safety issues. Management says we should park to save time, however, if we get caught parking then we're fired immediately for breaking corporate policy.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 18, 2010

waar
Sep 29, 2001

2508084 posted:

edit: corporate says graveyard is not allowed to park customers in the parking lot due to employee safety issues. Management says we should park to save time, however, if we get caught parking then we're fired immediately for breaking corporate policy.

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by parking customers?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

waar posted:

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by parking customers?

I believe in a drive-through line, you tell customer A who ordered a lot of food to park (in either an assigned parking spot, or just anywhere, so that you can assist the following customers who have ordered less food while customer A waits.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Dodgeball posted:

I believe in a drive-through line, you tell customer A who ordered a lot of food to park (in either an assigned parking spot, or just anywhere, so that you can assist the following customers who have ordered less food while customer A waits.

Yeah, this. Sorry, once you get involved in the lingo, you just assume everyone knows. If someone ordered 25$ in food, but the person behind them ordered 2$ and could be ready before the first person, we would ask the first person to park in the parking lot while their food cooked, then get the second customer their food since it was faster to make. Then you get the original customer their food ASAP.

edit: regarding EMPLOYEE SAFETY, how safe would you feel taking a bag of food outside, at 3am, to a car of drunks. I wouldn't do it, for the most part, and got heckled for it. Heckle all you like, I take a joke a lot better than I take a punch.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 18, 2010

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

THE SHACK is a never-ending source of misery.

My store is in a fairly affluent area (read: full of rich white people). I am a straight white male, therefore the racists of this community will often tell me how much they hate Mexicans and Vietnamese people. One of my co-workers is Vietnamese, so occasionally we'll end up with scenarios like this:

Me: *helping another customer*

Racist: *walks in*

Vietnamese co-worker: Hi, how can I help you today?

Racist: Oh, uh, can the other gentleman in here help me?

Vietnamese co-worker: Sure, he's busy but he'll be right with you.

Racist, to me: I'm glad you were here. I just don't trust people like that boy.

I genuinely feel bad for him because there are more than a few people who shop at my store that flat out WILL NOT buy anything from him, and THE SHACK is heavily sales goal-oriented and we're commissioned, so losing sales always sucks.
I used to work at The Source in Canada when I was at University. I was in one of, if not the busiest mall in the area and we got rich and poor. The one thing I would get way more than you would expect (from all demographics) though is:

Me: Hi there, can I help you?

Customer: No thanks, I've got a technical problem so I'll wait for one of the MEN on the floor to be free.

Me: Well, they're not going to help you either, so get out of my store.

All the guys on the floor and my male manager backed me and the other girl that worked there up whenever we did this. If they tried to see one of the guys, I'd walk up to them and tell them the guy wouldn't let me help them because of my vagina, and the guys wouldn't help them either.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

HookShot posted:

All the guys on the floor and my male manager backed me and the other girl that worked there up whenever we did this. If they tried to see one of the guys, I'd walk up to them and tell them the guy wouldn't let me help them because of my vagina, and the guys wouldn't help them either.

This is so awesome. Coworkers who back you are the best.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

5th Supervisor position in a row was given to someone magically chosen today at my Wal-Mart, no interviews were conducted and all the people who put in for it were told to bugger off. One guy went to the store manager to complain that they are supposed to interview at least 3 internal people for each supervisor job and not ZERO, he is fired now. I can truly see how people at places like this end up truly depressed with no hope for a future.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Last night, while cleaning up in the kid's clothing section, I noticed a little cluster of items underneath a fixture. Reaching under there to pull it out, I noticed that there was a tie, a pack of new kid's boxers, and a pair of soiled kid's briefs. :what: I touched it with my hand. NOT COOL.

What kind of fuckup has their kid take off their underpants and put on a stolen pair in the middle of the sales floor? Incredible.

Then another bitch sees a sign on a fixture advertising $1 item. She calls me over from across the department, asking "which item is a dollar?" I walk over, check out the fixture, and tell her we probably sold the $1 item and replaced it with something else, and haven't changed the sign yet. There was an empty accessory stand on top of the fixture, so it was probably a hat or something. We just put tons of stuff on sale this week, it's a shitstorm.

:v: "Well, I work at Old Navy, and I know that if we had a sign wrong like this, we'd have to sell it for $1."

:buddy: "Sure, but the sign also says 'selected items starting at $1' right there."

:v: "Ok, maybe you should tell somebody to change the sign."

:buddy: "Yes, that's a good idea."

She expected me to take the sign down right then and there, but I did not. She repeated herself a few times, in an effort to get me to change the sign, and I didn't budge, just kept agreeing with her that it should be changed. Why the hell are you breaking my balls, lady? Where's your retail sympathy? Or are you just trying to get back at me for denying your attempt to hustle a $7 tee to $1 on a sign technicality? Whatever, I kept smiling and eventually she walked away. :byewhore:

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I work in a private preschool, which is basically a horrible mix of teaching and customer service, because we have to be able to keep very picky parents happy in ways that sometimes negatively impact our ability to teach. It's usually not a big deal and most of the parents are great, but occasionally there are some who want special accommodations that make our job harder. Since it's a private school, pretty much every family there is very well off, and sometimes you get parents who just don't understand what it's like to bust your rear end for $11/hour.

I got my first parent complaint a couple of weeks ago. There's a mother who brings her child in and instead of letting the four year old put her own things up and then choose where to play (which they're perfectly capable of and every other kid in my class does), she holds her hand and leads her to her cubby, takes care of all of her things, then picks a place for her to play. The whole time that she does this, she refuses to acknowledge the presence of myself and the other teacher in the room, not even responding when we say "good morning" or "have a nice day". I still do both of those things because I think it's funny that she's THAT stuck up. One morning after she came in, my assistant principal came into the room looking kind of confused.

AP: "Mrs. X just made a complaint about you, she said something about sitting down? Do you know what she was talking about?"

Coworker and I: :confused: "We told her daughter she could sit down and color if she wanted to."

We all shrugged and went about our day. I was kind of confused and spent a lot of time wondering what the deal was, but I knew that our principal and assistant principal both think the lady is kind of crazy and weren't taking the complaint seriously.

The next morning was pretty much a repeat of the previous one, except this time the assistant principal got her to explain herself a little better. She was mad because WE WERE SITTING DOWN IN CHAIRS.

I spend 9 and a half hours at work. During instructional time, which is about 7 hours, I'm not allowed to sit down. For one thing, all the chairs are sized for four year olds, and we only have enough for each student to have one. However, for an hour and a half in the morning my job is pretty much to watch the kids while they have free play, because we usually only have about 10 out of a classroom of 22 there. We let them color or play with legos and other kid things, and we don't ignore them at all but we do encourage that they play independently because we're supposed to be building independent skills.

It turns out that this mother has been upset since school started in August that I don't pick up her child and carry her around when she brings her in, and that my coworker and I have the audacity to sit in chairs instead of standing at all times. This is a lady who has an office job so she sits on her rear end all day, but expects me to spend the entire day standing. I cherish the times when I can sit down because my back and legs kill me after a day stooped over their tiny tables (I have to serve all their lunches and snacks on tables that barely reach my knees, on top of helping them write and playing with them, which I love, don't get me wrong). So gently caress you, lady.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Nothing really bad, yet still slightly embarrassing:

Had a little Freudian slip today at work. It was towards the end of my shift, and I was bushed. It's the last Saturday before X-mas, busy-busy-busy and I'm dead on my feet. Two pretty attractive girls come in and one want to buy a gift card. She wanted one for $20, but you get a $5 coupon for buying a $25. I usually use the phrases "up-sell you to the 25" or "bump you up to 25" to try to get them to spend a little more. We join our scene already in progress...

:blush:: I'd like to buy a gift card.
:): For how much?
:blush:: 20 dollars.
:downs:: If I can knock you up... erm... up-sell you... to the twenty five... you... get a 5 dollar coupon...
:blush:: . . .
:doh:: . . .
:blush:: Ok...

I'm sure she completely missed it, but that one's gonna haunt me for a bit.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I really hope my boss decides to keep one of the seasonals and fire me on December 26th. :shepicide:

roboshit fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 19, 2010

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
I am currently working in the distribution warehouse for one of the large stores in my area. They generally do high-end food products for those in the UK. There has been nothing too drastic, but the managers have already shown themselves to be pretty lovely. The following is a list of just a few complaints:

. We never know what time we will start until the day before, or even if we will work at all. We only find out when we finish when the manager tells us. Usually, without warning, one will say "ok time to go home now". Really loving annoying.

. The managers are generally incompetent. We get told that the sorting machine will run until about 2pm. At 2:30, someone asks when the new end time is. The reply was "3pm because you are all too slow and we didn't get done what we were supposed to". Note- the machine broke down about 3 times during which periods all of us working were twiddling our thumbs. The machine would also go at around 1/4 speed from time to time for no discernible reason.

. Our breaks are really badly organised. We have a list of what time we get our breaks depending on what time you start. Managers will change these times or just forbid breaks on a whim.

Quite honestly, this is the sort of work where you only take it if you are desperate for money, students home for holidays, looking for work as a stopgap between two other jobs etc or you pretty much can't get hired anywhere else. Most of the managers seem to have been promoted internally from those in the latter category.

Edit- I am in the "stopgap" category.

Yuncemil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2010

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

If a customer stomps in and starts off their speech with "My name is...", it can only end badly. I learned this the hard way the other day.

Believe it or not, lady, we don't memorize your name just in case you come in.

When I obviously failed to recognize her name, she started getting agitated.

No, I can't just 'look you up', I don't have a magical database of everyone that has ever shopped here. You have to tell me what it is you're here for, and I can look you up in the relevant database.

Again, no, I don't recognize your name, you're not our sole customer.

No, you can't just leave this mangled computer here, you have to fill out some paperwork, because I still don't know who you are.

I don't care if you're in a hurry to go shop elsewhere, I'm not going to take in a computer with just your word that you have a warranty for it.

The service you have explicitly states we'll take in one computer, not two. No, I don't care that it's your mother's cousin's uncle's friend's, you have to pay extra if you want them both serviced.

No, I am not going to help you shop for a laptop now, we closed 10 minutes ago, and I'm already taking in your extra computer, a $100 value, because you smiled at the horny manager. Go ask one of the sales guys, I'm sure they'd love to stay late so that you can harass them for a half hour and not end up buying anything anyway.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Raere posted:

If a customer stomps in and starts off their speech with "My name is...", it can only end badly. I learned this the hard way the other day.

I like it when they tell me their name while I'm calling up a search in our customer database. No, random lady, your name isn't going to help me. If only our company had given you a unique ten digit number to identify you! Oh wait, we did - it's your loving phone number.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm still waiting for a pay stub from the first week of the month to be mailed to me so I can file for unemployment. The store owner can't send a letter properly, and yet firing me will save him from bankruptcy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

red19fire posted:

I'm still waiting for a pay stub from the first week of the month to be mailed to me so I can file for unemployment. The store owner can't send a letter properly, and yet firing me will save him from bankruptcy.

File a complaint with the labor board in your area. That tends to put a fire under the rear end of folks who are too lazy to follow the laws.

EDIT:

To everyone reading this thread - don't be afraid of filing complaints with the labor boards in your area. You don't deserve to be treated like poo poo "just because you work in retail" and maybe it would force a few of these shitheads to treat their employees better. If nothing else, you'll piss off those who made your life miserable. What better way to celebrate the holiday season?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
loving A last weekend was hell. Great sales wise, but my location is in the rich mall south of Nashville, so it was pretty much slammed, and we get a lot of uppity rich people who think they are entitled to everything. Plus we have at least 2 people on shift at a time, and since my location is basically a box, it gets to be close quarters.

Noteworthy things:
-Mall food finally failed me. Saturday at 5 i was already running on fumes and hadn't had a chance to eat since 7am (because seriously, we were that busy) and i run upstairs and wolf down a big burger from the normally reliable burger place. Big mistake. 2 hours later I'm puking in the bathroom, thank God the other person offered to close so i could go home (and puke some more). Almost 2 days later i'm still having problems eating food.
-Had one of those customers that wants to make a bad decision, and when you try to give them advice they just rudely cut you off. "I just want my new phone, i'll call Sprint customer service on cutting off the other one." Her son has already gone through 2 phone lines, lost phones and this is her third phone under contract. Well, if you don't want me to help you, I will gladly take your money and notate on your account that i attempted to help you properly and you ignored me.
-Crazy lady Friday night was flabbergasted that Sprint would not let her upgrade her phone. Reason being is that her phone bill is 60 days past due. Her response is "well i made a payment arrangement." "right but you haven't paid your drat bill." I eventually brokered a deal (hopefully it shouldn't bite me in the rear end) but dear God people are stupid, and that kept me in the mall 2 hours late.
-Had a customer set to get 2 new Samsung Epics (and Samsung is offering $20 a phone as a spiff right now) which run $349 with $100 back. They call in 2 hours later "amazon.com has them for $99, can you match that?" No lady, I can't loving match online pricings for God's sake. I somehow manage to convince her coming through me at Sprint was still more reliable, and end up having to cut $50 off each phone.
-One customer on Saturday bought a phone for her son, and gave me 2 free movie tickets that she had in her pocket ("you earned these"). Little things like that is why i always tip well when its good service.
-And of course, my girlfriend's car is near death, so somehow in the retail madness of the next 2 weeks I need to help her shop for cars. FML.
-Had a really nice customer get 3 phones 1.5 weeks ago via direct ship. Nice guy, but of course the dude decides he wants to get the higher models for Christmas instead. Well, with a direct ship that is a lot of paperwork, because I need to send a request to send the return kits and ship off the new ones at the same time. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but given it was christmas weekend i had no time to do it (it also involves looking up order numbers and other such nonsense).

I am very much looking forward to the NHL Winter Classic in January. I am sending in my request off today.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 20, 2010

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
It's been super busy in the past week, and I can't believe that the customers aren't my problem (I've only had three rude people that I can think of (one made me cry because I suck at free giftwrapping)), but that my coworkers are.

Yesterday, before I started working, I was shopping in the cosmetics area where I work and bought my mom an $80 gift from a girl named A, who has been there for four years. I've heard bad things about her before, but she has always been nice to me and even taught me how to do lots of things. After making my purchase, I clocked in to work.

After maybe an hour, I saw a couple and went to go help them. They said someone else had been helping them, and pointed at A, who was walking away toward another customer, and they shrugged and let me help them. After five minutes, A came back (after being unsuccessful with the other customer), said "I was helping them earlier", and took over the sale (if you leave your customer and someone else helps them instead, it's no longer your sale anymore). But I didn't want to make the customers feel awkward, so I didn't mention anything and just went away (and made a good sale with the customer she had been unsuccessful with). One of my coworkers witnessed the whole thing and later said that was a pathetic move she made, especially considering her sales weren't hurting at all.

So after A left for the day, I returned my purchase and let the other coworker ring me up for it, so she'd get the commission and A wouldn't. Yes, I'm a little bit catty. :colbert:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

There are now 2 birds in the back :ughh:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

AlmightyBob posted:

Quick! Get some venomous snakes to take care of customer management bird all problems.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Ygolonac posted:

Quick! Get some venomous snakes to take care of customer management bird all problems.

You've cracked the code; this advice can truly make any retail job less miserable!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

I call that a good night! :pervert:

At my job for the last month, I've been working as a personal shopper. It's been a really rough ride because of management loving it up and I won't do it again next year, but I get an hourly wage plus commission if I make over my 'goal', which is already impossible to make. But the big kicker came today, when the other girl doing this job stole a loving sale from me, and pretty much admitted she did.

Did I mention we get commission? So she basically stole that from me?

She's been pissing people off all this month in one way or another, but now she's lied to management and stolen from me. This should be a fun couple of days coming up.

:fuckoff:

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 21, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

At my job for the last month, I've been working as a personal shopper. It's been a really rough ride because of management loving it up and I won't do it again next year, but I get an hourly wage plus commission if I make over my 'goal', which is already impossible to make. But the big kicker came today, when the other girl doing this job stole a loving sale from me, and pretty much admitted she did.

Did I mention we get commission? So she basically stole that from me?

She's been pissing people off all this month in one way or another, but now she's lied to management and stolen from me. This should be a fun couple of days coming up.

:fuckoff:

See, it's poo poo like that that makes me never want to work for commission. I realize it's a nice chunk of extra change when you get a lot, but I don't think I could keep my cool in a situation where everyone is sniping everyone else and is stressing about not having enough cash. I have enough problems not mouthing off in my regularly paid retail job.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My company won't let us leave the building on our 15 minute breaks, because "what if you got run over by a car on company time." Is this standard procedure? Or is my company just paranoid?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Meow Cadet posted:

My company won't let us leave the building on our 15 minute breaks, because "what if you got run over by a car on company time." Is this standard procedure? Or is my company just paranoid?

Here in Washington State they don't have to let you leave the job site, but it has nothing to do with the possibility of suffering life altering injury. But not leaving the building? Like if you want to go to your car or something? Or go to the minimart next door? That's bullshit.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Sounds more like "if they can't leave the building then they might not take their breaks" rather than any genuine concern for your safety.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

They do this at my store also. Last year a seasonal got in some poo poo for walking out to his car to get something on his 15. :hurr:

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Meow Cadet posted:

If your breaks are paid time, then (in most states) the company can require you to stay on premises (and they can also call you back to work early if breaks are not guaranteed by labor law). Any unpaid time, like lunches, they can not force you to stay in the building.

For an anecdote:

I no longer work retail, but when I was a cashier at a store whose logo is a bullseye...

It was winter in Wisconsin, and I was bundled up. Since I took the bus in to work, I always went in the front door and then walked through the store to get to the back so I could hang up my coat and clock in. This one guy, probably a regular who knew me by sight, saw me as I was walking to the back. Mind you, my jacket is still buttoned up and I'm wearing a hat and gloves. The only giveaway that I was an employee were my khaki pants.

He follows me as I walk to the back, saying, "Excuse me, I need some help. Excuse me, EXCUSE ME." I pretended not to hear him because a) I was wearing my freaking coat and it was obvious I was not on the clock yet, and b) I hadn't clocked in and I don't work unless I'm being paid for it (and c) I was a smartass teenager at the time).

As I went into the back, still ignoring him, I heard him mutter, "I knew she worked here."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

vanessa posted:

For an anecdote:

I no longer work retail, but when I was a cashier at a store whose logo is a bullseye...

I can understand the secrecy if you still work there, but if you don't then why shouldn't you just say Target? It's not like they can fire you or something... :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

spankmeister posted:

I can understand the secrecy if you still work there, but if you don't then why shouldn't you just say Target? It's not like they can fire you or something... :confused:

Because I still use my manager as a reference???