Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I haven't watched season five either, mostly because I'm convinced they'll never top season four but also because the general response to it seems to be a massive :geno:. I did watch the first episode and, awesome scene with Mickey Mouse ears aside, it really didn't do anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beasticly posted:

I've all of those except Summer Heights High, We Can Be Heroes and Kath & Kim (I'm an Aussie) but somehow missed Frontline.. thanks! Curb and Seinfeld have been on my to watch list for a while but somehow both have been neglected, will definitely have to get into them now though!
Looks good, thanks!

Haha didn't notice your avatar the first time, of course you are, well for more goodness from the creators of Frontline, though you've probably seen them already, is the Best Bits of the Late Show Champagne edition (or the full shows if you can find them). But if you haven't seen them already I'm not sure how funny it is now if you're not remembering how funny it was at the time. Also the Best & Second best of the D-Generation, those dvds are cheap as chips.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 17, 2010

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just finished Season 1 of Southland, really enjoyed it and can't wait for Seasons 2&3 to become available on Netflix.

Also just got the first Spartacus disk in and watched the first episode last night. Over the top tits and melee combat, I could not ask for more.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Spartacus gets so much better once all the back stabbing Roman political maneuvering is introduced.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Just finished up 4 seasons of Mad Men and all I have to say is that Don Draper fucks more women than James Bond in all the movies combined. All in all it's a great series and dissects that post WW2 American society pretty well.

Now watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy and it hasn't been terribly impressive. Some of the action and plot lines are silly. Plus there are some eye rolling stereotypical characters as ATF agents.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Breaking Bad season 3, wtf! Not back on til July?? My estimation of the chicken man and mike has suddenly gone down the toilet. WTF

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I found Sons Of Anarchy season one a bit of a slog too, but I loved season two. It has two extremely effective villains and the overall story is a lot more interesting - Stick with it!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, I definitly agree the first season of Sons of Anarchy was a bit slow at times, especially anything involving the baby, but the next season is really fantastic, and has a much better pace. The third season gets a little silly, but has an ending that redeems the whole season.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I finally finished off the last two seasons of the Sopranos, I freaking loved season 5, Steve Buscemi was fantastic, and I always hated Andrea.

Season 6 I hated, not just because of the finale, which I didn't mind too much. I guess after 6 seasons I just got tired of most of the characters and dear lord the son was in rare form this season. Between his drama queen poo poo and his stupid facial hair I resent him living.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
The Pillars of the Earth.

It's very entertaining!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Breaking Bad: Just watched "Down". I'm just curious, is this where the infamous goon-hatred of Skyler began?

If the answer is some form of "not quite yet", then say no more.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2010

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Kekekela posted:

Just finished Season 1 of Southland, really enjoyed it and can't wait for Seasons 2&3 to become available on Netflix.

Also just got the first Spartacus disk in and watched the first episode last night. Over the top tits and melee combat, I could not ask for more.

I envy your first watch of Spartacus. It gets so much better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

seriously! posted:

The Pillars of the Earth.

It's very entertaining!

Yeah, I loved it. But then it has Ian McShane, so how couldn't I?

Gives me high hopes for Game of Thrones, if they can pull off a similar style in terms of production values.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
After putting it off for years, I'm finally getting around to The Wire. I'm about 7 episodes into season 1 so far. It's a drat good show, but I can't say I'm blown away yet. I suspect things pick up now that they've laid the groundwork.

My favorite parts have been D'angelo's musings on life, specifically comparing chess to their line of work and about the poor sap who invented the Chicken McNugget.

Edit: Oh gently caress, episode 10. poo poo gettin' real!

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 20, 2010

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Beasticly posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for decent comedies I haven't seen? I've seen, and liked, the following:
The League, which is another show on FX that follows It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's about a bunch of friends in their early 30s who are in a fantasy American Football league. Don't let that part scare you off, you don't have to follow the sport to enjoy it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lycus posted:

Breaking Bad: Just watched "Down". I'm just curious, is this where the infamous goon-hatred of Skyler began?

If the answer is some form of "not quite yet", then say no more.

How much the viewer hates Skylar is based on what role they believe she plays in the show. Personally I saw her as a character reacting to a extremely stressful situation, very odd behaviour from her husband, and not in full possession of all the facts, so her reaction to the situation was understandable. I think other people saw her more as an antagonist to Walt, so they quickly grew tired of her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

How much the viewer hates Skylar is based on what role they believe she plays in the show. Personally I saw her as a character reacting to a extremely stressful situation, very odd behaviour from her husband, and not in full possession of all the facts, so her reaction to the situation was understandable. I think other people saw her more as an antagonist to Walt, so they quickly grew tired of her.

That's pretty much how I saw her too. I think a lot of the negative reaction comes from how sympathetic a character Walt was (or is) even when he's doing bad stuff - the audience buys into his reasons for doing whatever awful stuff he's doing, and because of that Skylar seems to be unreasonable and obstructionist. However, viewed from her perspective, she's reacting more or less the way anyone would act if their spouse started behaving that way. Maybe she's less tactful than she could be and communicates poorly, but she was rarely unreasonable in a broader sense. Most of the stuff she got mad about was stuff she probably should have gotten mad about.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Personally, my overwhelmingly negative reaction to Skyler was that she rarely seemed to have any empathy at all for the fact that Walt had loving terminal cancer.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

My opinion on the Skyler stuff is that I can understand complaints that the character is somewhat underwritten and that her presence does at times feel like an afterthought, but the amount of hate she's gotten when you consider that the show's two central characters have respectively (Walt in season two) deliberately let an essentially innocent woman die and (Jessie in season three) joined rehab in order to peddle meth to the recovering addicts is completely ridiculous.

Like I said, I understand complaints that her character's motivations aren't as well-explored as Walt's or Jessie's but the constant screeching of "SKYLER IS A loving HORRIBLE oval office AND I WISH SHE'D DIE" was completely cringeworthy and made the normally interesting-to-follow Breaking Bad threads almost unreadable.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Trig Discipline posted:

That's pretty much how I saw her too. I think a lot of the negative reaction comes from how sympathetic a character Walt was (or is) even when he's doing bad stuff - the audience buys into his reasons for doing whatever awful stuff he's doing, and because of that Skylar seems to be unreasonable and obstructionist. However, viewed from her perspective, she's reacting more or less the way anyone would act if their spouse started behaving that way. Maybe she's less tactful than she could be and communicates poorly, but she was rarely unreasonable in a broader sense. Most of the stuff she got mad about was stuff she probably should have gotten mad about.
Yeah, that's exactly how I'm seeing it too, so far. I just remember references in other threads of big Skyler arguments in the BB thread, and I remember that thread title, so the story behind it is one of things I've been waiting for as I watch.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
I saw the 8 episode series "The Pillars of the Earth" within 3 days. It was immensely entertaining and involving. Was there a thread for it by the way?

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

ChipNDip posted:

The League, which is another show on FX that follows It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's about a bunch of friends in their early 30s who are in a fantasy American Football league. Don't let that part scare you off, you don't have to follow the sport to enjoy it.
I can't recommend this show enough, it seems so tightly written but it's 60% script and 40% improv. If you liked Seinfeld, you will LOVE this show regardless of your interest in US Football. If you love football and know the game and the trends it's an added cherry on top but that's only about two minutes per episode. It wouldn't matter if it was about jai alai, cricket, or pickleball, it doesn't even matter.

It aligns perfectly with the general humor of SA, and everyone that I've shown this show loved it immediately. Well worth checking out, and the first season is six 22-min episodes so watching it is essentially like watching a movie.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
watched all 8 e of summerheights high in like 48 hours.

really good show.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
After watching the X-files i started with Supernatural. After watching the first season i find it to be a pretty cool show. Its like you take the x-files, remove the conspiracy and mytharc stuff and replace Mulder and Scully with two wisecracking dudes (well ok, replace Scully with such a dude). It's not that deep a show and i dont think it pretends to be. I do like that they've got some character development and leave room for greys when it comes to the killing of monsters, instead of making it all black & white.

I read some of the things that are coming in later seasons and it all seems promising. Gave the season six thread in TVIV a quick look and it didnt seem that goons where hating all over it, so i guess that has to mean something positive. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Supernatural was a lot better than I expected it to be, though, like the X-Files, there are a handful of episodes each season that are blatantly awful. There's that one with the shapeshifter in the first season, for instance, that has one of the most obvious plotholes I've ever seen.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, Supernatural is pretty solid. I know a lot of people who were expecting it to go to poo poo in season 6 and they're all pleasantly surprised with how it's maintained.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

My wife and I have been watching all of Battlestar Galactica, the newer series, not the original. I was totally shocked that she'd even like it, as she's normally not into any sci-fi what so ever.

I know most people say that it should have stopped after season 2 and that 3 and 4 were poo poo, but we're halfway through 4 now and it's still as great as when it started.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

CubanRefugee posted:

My wife and I have been watching all of Battlestar Galactica, the newer series, not the original. I was totally shocked that she'd even like it, as she's normally not into any sci-fi what so ever.

I know most people say that it should have stopped after season 2 and that 3 and 4 were poo poo, but we're halfway through 4 now and it's still as great as when it started.

I got my fiancee into BSG when we first got together. It was the second watch through for me, the first time I felt that the 4th season was kinda weak. After watching it all together with the rest of the seasons, it is really good. I even enjoyed the ending, that everyone complains about.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I just finished up Battlestar last night actually. I didn't mind the ending at all, and I felt that really the "angels" explanation had been telegraphed from the beginning.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

beanieson posted:

I just finished up Battlestar last night actually. I didn't mind the ending at all, and I felt that really the "angels" explanation had been telegraphed from the beginning.

Well, that depends if you count one of the characters flat-out stating it as fact as telegraphing it or not.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I binged through The Wire not long ago while I was between jobs. I'd tried to watch it a couple of times before, but I never really gotten the moment when you realize just how amazing the wire is. Some of my friends had given it really positive reviews and tried to get me to watch it, but generally when that happens I worry that they've oversold it and I don't end up enjoying it as much as I should have. But god drat.

The only disappointing thing about The Wire is that I'll never be able to watch it for the first time again.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

contrantidipsomania posted:

I binged through The Wire not long ago while I was between jobs. I'd tried to watch it a couple of times before, but I never really gotten the moment when you realize just how amazing the wire is.

I know what you mean. I'd heard so much about it, but when I first started watching it I didn't get what the hype was about. It was probably the best police procedural drama I'd ever seen, but ultimately it was not that different from other cop shows. Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Just finished up Sons of Anarchy and big props to all those people who said to stick with it. Season 2 was top notch, but I wish Henry Rollins' character was a little more fleshed out. I even liked most of season 3 however the dick stroking over the IRA and EYERISH PRIDE BOYOS talk got to be a bit much. I agree with the consensus about the ending though, good stuff.

Next up. Going to binge through all of The Shield over the holidays.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Trig Discipline posted:

Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

This. Being from the New Orleans area, I've got unbelievably high hopes that he does the same with Treme. In the end, the wire was more about the city of Baltimore than any of the characters.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

contrantidipsomania posted:

I binged through The Wire not long ago while I was between jobs. I'd tried to watch it a couple of times before, but I never really gotten the moment when you realize just how amazing the wire is. Some of my friends had given it really positive reviews and tried to get me to watch it, but generally when that happens I worry that they've oversold it and I don't end up enjoying it as much as I should have. But god drat.

The only disappointing thing about The Wire is that I'll never be able to watch it for the first time again.

Eh, I think it's even better to watch afterwards, you get all the nuances.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Trig Discipline posted:

I know what you mean. I'd heard so much about it, but when I first started watching it I didn't get what the hype was about. It was probably the best police procedural drama I'd ever seen, but ultimately it was not that different from other cop shows. Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

Very interesting. I just finished the first season and liked it quite a bit. And while I can say is very unique, I don't see it as one of the greatest shows ever yet.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Still working through The Shield, am nearing the end of season three.

I decided to watch one more episode last night because of insomnia - Big mistake. It was Strays, the episode with Clark Gregg as the granny-killing rapist Dutch has been hunting all season.

Dutch just killed a loving cat. Holy poo poo :cry:

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.

Adrianics posted:

Dutch just killed a loving cat. Holy poo poo :cry:

that was one of the greatest moments in the shield

I've been binging on buffy and misfits lately, good times :)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I pretty much gave up on the shield after that scene. It was so completely uncharacteristic of dutch that it put me off the show. He just suddenly, after 30+ years of no animal cruelty, strangles a cat to death with his bare hands to see what it feels like? Bullshit. People aren't just suddenly turned into psychopaths, and dutch never showed any sign of being one before then. It was stupid. He was having a mid life crisis and that's what they came up with..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I pretty much gave up on the shield after that scene. It was so completely uncharacteristic of dutch that it put me off the show. He just suddenly, after 30+ years of no animal cruelty, strangles a cat to death with his bare hands to see what it feels like? Bullshit. People aren't just suddenly turned into psychopaths, and dutch never showed any sign of being one before then. It was stupid. He was having a mid life crisis and that's what they came up with..

The whole episode was the serial killer taunting him saying that he claims to get them but he doesn't. Also after he does it he feels disgust with himself and notice he buys a cat to feel better.