Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Flatscan posted:

Tonight's Top Gear special.

Well, like... who was on it?

Also, the latest in A2A: "You're looking chirpy, Bolls. Been sitting on the washing machine again?" First line since LoM to make me laugh out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The ending to tonight's Buzzcocks is incredible.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

echoplex posted:

Apparently there's a double bill of Tramadol Nights tonight - wonder if C4 are just trying to get rid of it now - so I guess my sketch will be on the second ep, 10:30 tonight (if it's not been cut). Will own up to which one it was after it's aired :)

Which sketch was it? I must know.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Well, like... who was on it?

Also, the latest in A2A: "You're looking chirpy, Bolls. Been sitting on the washing machine again?" First line since LoM to make me laugh out loud.
Some yokels from.. virginia? I think they were still in virginia.

Also if I may cast my gaze towards Vincent loving it up for everyone, essentially he's had his department cut back because he said he'd try to gently caress over News Corp buying the 60% of BSkyB they don't already own. There was no problem with him doing that, but now he's said he wanted to do it obviously he's shown bias in proceedings which are supposed to be impartial. ITV are having a dig at Vince because BSkyB still owns a 7.5% share in them, and the decision over whether or not BSkyB can be bought entirely by News Corp now rests with the head of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Jeremy Hunt. Who is, of course, an entirely impartial conservative MP.

Jeremy Hunt posted:

"The important thing is not whether a particular owner owns another TV channel but to make sure you have a variety of owners with a variety of TV channels so that no one owner has a dominant position both commercially and politically. Rather than worry about Rupert Murdoch owning another TV channel, what we should recognise is that he has probably done more to create variety and choice in British TV than any other single person because of his huge investment in setting up Sky TV which, at one point, was losing several million pounds a day. We would be the poorer and wouldn't be saying that British TV is the envy of the world if it hadn't been for him being prepared to take that commercial risk. We need to encourage that kind of investment."

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Who is, of course, an entirely impartial conservative MP.

loving sickening, that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Poor Vince Cable, one of the few lone voices of sanity in a whirl wind of utter poo poo.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Poor Vince Cable, one of the few lone voices of sanity in a whirl wind of utter poo poo.

I can't help but think he was set up. I mean the people in there recording him were undercover reporters or such. I wouldn't put it past Murdoch/some Tory oval office to send someone in there to get Cable's offhand personal opinions on the matter and leak them in order to get him kicked off the decision(not fired because Osborne is a dithering mongoloid) and replace him with someone conveniently in complete favour of Murdoch and his enterprises.

Watch Ofcom fall in line when they release their report or go against it and have massive budget cuts or reductions in power.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Mark Thomson from the BBC says that 'Britain needs a channel like Fox News'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/17/mark-thompson-bbc-fox-news

I find that really scary, the BBC seems to me to be pretty much bang on with impartial reporting and reading some of the threads that pop up in GBS about how awful Fox News is I would hate to see a UK version - I imagine it to be a televised Daily Mail.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I find that really scary, the BBC seems to me to be pretty much bang on with impartial reporting and reading some of the threads that pop up in GBS about how awful Fox News is I would hate to see a UK version - I imagine it to be a televised Daily Mail.

Holy poo poo. That's it, our country is properly hosed.

He actually advocates opinion orientated reporting to run alongside impartial factual reporting. All of which is based on the idea that the rules are outdated because of the internet? The news is already opinionated to poo poo and back. Tabloids read like mental wank rags to some and the level of inaccuracy and skewed reporting on TV is already at an unreasonably high level. The last thing we need is the likes of Glenn Beck riling up the ignorant people of our country (of which there are many) into believing opinion over fact.

This is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, but we're all on the loving train.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

keveh posted:

Bit gutted that there is no Morgana show because of the double bill :(

Except The Morgana Show is completely awful.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Flatscan posted:

Is it the Thomas the Tank Engine sketch by any chance?

It was :) It got cut down a lot from what it was originally - mostly really offensive things - and the budget meant I couldn't make it look as nice as I'd have liked, but it did ok. Was the first time tonight that I'd seen it with the CGI eyes.

Filming THAT scene:

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I read this the other day and it just gave me a horrible, cold, sinking feeling. I've often said that literally the only thing stopping this country from turning into America (which it very slowly is anyway) is the BBC. Reading that the Mail is now the #1 online newspaper is loving horrifying; them having their own channel even worse. The BBC is by no means perfect, but if there's one thing I'd actually *fight* for, it's the BBC (then the NHS, probably). It's the last good thing we have left. It'll die of it's own accord in time anyway, but not like this. If this is Thomson's attempt to appease the Mail into not calling for his head every day, then gently caress him, he needs to grow some balls and tell people why they NEED the BBC. If it means Gavin and Stacey specials every year, then fine, but don't give Murdoch our airwaves :(

*is aware he just did a job for C4*

echoplex fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 22, 2010

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Daedo posted:

Except The Morgana Show is completely awful.

I like bits of it, it's a hell of a lot better than Tramadol Nights.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

echoplex posted:

Filming THAT scene:

Canon 5 or 7D? Also why the slr? Budget or style reasons?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Watched 'Mad and Bad: 60 years of science of tv' last night, I recommend it. It's a history of science documentarys mostly with a little about science fiction thrown in, but it was a pretty good clip show and overview of the science documentary.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

The ending to tonight's Buzzcocks is incredible.

I think last nights Buzzcocks is my favourite this series, or a close second to the Terry Wogan one. Weird how the best hosts have been the ones that you'd think would appeal to older people, I really love Tim Minchin but his turn in the guest host seat was awful.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I wasn't that surprised because Groban was terrific when he appeared as a panellist, but yeah it was a great episode. Catherine Tate episode notwithstanding, I do think this series has been very good.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Adrianics posted:

I wasn't that surprised because Groban was terrific when he appeared as a panellist, but yeah it was a great episode. Catherine Tate episode notwithstanding, I do think this series has been very good.

He was, the 'Son's and Daughters of England' bit still makes me laugh to think about it (you tube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_x7c_AKw4 ). And I'll have to look back at the guest host list but I've felt pretty underwhelmed by a lot of them. But then I really loved Simon Amstell even though he did go a bit too far sometimes.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

He was, the 'Son's and Daughters of England' bit still makes me laugh to think about it. And I'll have to look back at the guest host list but I've felt pretty underwhelmed by a lot of them. But then I really loved Simon Amstell even though he did go a bit too far sometimes.

Simon Amstell never went too far. :colbert: If some of those stuck up "celebs" cant take a ribbing with jest then they deserve to have the piss taken out of them even more. You don't willingly throw yourself into the spotlight and decide "i'm never taking any criticism, gently caress you, i'm special", especially if it's obvious to everyone you're a minimally tallented flash in the pan.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

hookerbot 5000 posted:

He was, the 'Sons and Daughters of England' bit still makes me laugh to think about it.

"Rubbish!"
*chuck*
*smash!*
*wince*

What a guy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just got around to seeing Dirk Gently today. I saw a handful of posts a few pages back but didn't notice a full discussion. Was the entire thing as easy to guess 15 minutes into it as I thought? If it gets picked up to a full series (has it?) I really hope the later episodes are more clever about it all.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Kin posted:

Simon Amstell never went too far. :colbert: If some of those stuck up "celebs" cant take a ribbing with jest then they deserve to have the piss taken out of them even more. You don't willingly throw yourself into the spotlight and decide "i'm never taking any criticism, gently caress you, i'm special", especially if it's obvious to everyone you're a minimally tallented flash in the pan.

I was really disappointed that both Phil and Noel have slagged Simon off since he's been gone in various articles and blaming him for the show not being as good anymore.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

feedmyleg posted:

I just got around to seeing Dirk Gently today. I saw a handful of posts a few pages back but didn't notice a full discussion. Was the entire thing as easy to guess 15 minutes into it as I thought? If it gets picked up to a full series (has it?) I really hope the later episodes are more clever about it all.

I watched it with my wife who's never read the Dirk Gently books, and she didn't get where it was going till much later. I was prepared for the time travel thing I got it early too. Still, enjoyed it, and I hope it gets picked up. Someone I know said "No hat, not Dirk" but I thought the guy playing him was pretty much exactly what I had in my head as what Dirk was like.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Dear me. Always wanted to do rude things to Sohie Ellis-Bextor, now her mum hoves into view and reignights Blue Peter fuelled mumsy fancies. Not my mum. Brr

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

HauntedRobot posted:

Someone I know said "No hat, not Dirk" but I thought the guy playing him was pretty much exactly what I had in my head as what Dirk was like.

It's weird, sometimes however many times an author goes to pains to describe someone's appearance, you get stuck with something completely different in your head. Dirk is meant to be kinda fat, but the character doesn't really *feel* fat, so it's easy to lose that picture of him.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Trickjaw posted:

Dear me. Always wanted to do rude things to Sohie Ellis-Bextor, now her mum hoves into view and reignights Blue Peter fuelled mumsy fancies. Not my mum. Brr
that come dine with me just made me fancy Susie Amy a lot

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That Panorama (about supermarket food), which I had on in the background while wrapping presents, was distracting because they kept using that whoosh sound effect from the final Icon of Sin level in Doom 2 (according to the Doom Wikia site the catchily named "Disc 6015, track 28-1: Fire,Ball - Impact and large fire burst, rumble").

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Carpet posted:

That Panorama (about supermarket food), which I had on in the background while wrapping presents, was distracting because they kept using that whoosh sound effect from the final Icon of Sin level in Doom 2 (according to the Doom Wikia site the catchily named "Disc 6015, track 28-1: Fire,Ball - Impact and large fire burst, rumble").

This poo poo happens all the time, I remember was it Top Gear that had some music from command and conquer?

Do they just have a database with EVERY NOISE ON MEDIA neatly tagged so they can find what they're looking for? Or are the FX guys just massive nerds who have an encyclopaedic knowledge of game noises. :iiam:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I finally sat down and watched The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret last night. Not only does it have David Cross and Will Arnett, it had a smattering of people from various british stuff - including mr Rubber Dingy Rapids from Four Lions - and it was honestly hilarious.
It was a bit like a two hour peep show, where the awkwardness ramped up more and more and more until the final episode.

I can't wait for series 2!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Heh, I agree just started watching it myself on YouTube.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

meme posted:

This poo poo happens all the time, I remember was it Top Gear that had some music from command and conquer?

Do they just have a database with EVERY NOISE ON MEDIA neatly tagged so they can find what they're looking for? Or are the FX guys just massive nerds who have an encyclopaedic knowledge of game noises. :iiam:

From what I can tell, a lot of game sounds from the Doom era and such were just stock sounds that could be found on the "10,0000 GREATEST SOUND EFFECTS EVER!" albums.

That and the BBC sound library is all encompassing.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

feedmyleg posted:

The time travel thing was pretty easy to guess, especially since that was such a key point in the original, but the whole thing about the old woman murdering Gordon with a frying pan was a nice twist, I thought! I don't really see how you COULD have predicted that, which I thought worked nicely against expectations.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

The time travel thing was pretty easy to guess, especially since that was such a key point in the original, but the whole thing about the old woman murdering Gordon with a frying pan was a nice twist, I thought! I don't really see how you COULD have predicted that, which I thought worked nicely against expectations.

I think it worked itself out marvelously. And, yes, no time traveling professors or the Ghost of Kublai Khan or whatever. It was still marvelous. Though, I love how they managed to work in all those references to the original story on Dirk's Board of Stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shanty posted:

True. I had suspected that her husband was Gordon after he realized he was too old for his college-aged girlfriend and decided to grow a mustache.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

feedmyleg posted:

True. I had suspected that her husband was Gordon after he realized he was too old for his college-aged girlfriend and decided to grow a mustache.

Hahaha yes, I went there for a bit, but didn't really think the timeline fitted. He would have to have been sent further back in time than the cat, really, which seemed a little too arbitrary.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Taear posted:

mr Rubber Dingy Rapids from Four Lions

Kayvan Novak, the Fonejacker.

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Kin posted:

I can't help but think he was set up. I mean the people in there recording him were undercover reporters or such. I wouldn't put it past Murdoch/some Tory oval office to send someone in there to get Cable's offhand personal opinions on the matter and leak them in order to get him kicked off the decision(not fired because Osborne is a dithering mongoloid) and replace him with someone conveniently in complete favour of Murdoch and his enterprises.
Sorry to drag this up again, but it was two fairly young female reporters I'd heard. Telling him stuff like: "don't worry Vince, you can be candid with us". I don't know whether to feel sorry for him being taken advantage of, or to laugh at him thinking he had a chance.

Anyway, to stay relevant. I've just seen a preview for a Christmas Shooting Stars episode. I thought the last series was excellent since Vic and Bob seemed to have got back into the roles a bit more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-MovUcZLA&feature=channel

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

HoldYourFire posted:

Kayvan Novak, the Fonejacker.

Rubber dingy rapids is kayvan novak? really?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

LE0N posted:

Rubber dingy rapids is kayvan novak? really?
are you doing your confused face?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

thehustler posted:

Canon 5 or 7D? Also why the slr? Budget or style reasons?

7D for the slow motion. Would have used a RED if money was no object - could get one for £500 for the week so could have filmed everything with it - but the budget on that sketch was hypersmall. We used a combination of G-scale trains (as in the above picture) which are the same size as the original Thomas models, but for the majority of the moving stuff it was Hornby scale, which I think really is too small, no matter what lenses you use.

We really did try to make it look as good as possible, but the original Thomas series cost £10k per minute, and I understand why, now. I think an air of wonky cheapness was what Frankie wanted anyway, so I guess it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Has anyone been watching the Little Crackers on Sky? They're on Sky Anytime if you've got a Sky+ HD box and they're pretty drat good. Victoria Wood's was the grittiest northernest one and I really loved David Baddiel's, Julian Barrats, Chris O'Dowds and Bill Bailey's.
Jo Brand and Kathy Burke had quite dull ones and I daren't touch Catherine Tate's.

It's all very much up to the person who made it what it's like though. The female ones are all about their childhood for some reason, Bill Bailey's is basically a 15 minute sketch and David Baddiel's is basically an anecdote.