Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there anything else outside of whats in the wiki for Jagged Alliance 2? I created my merc and he kind of sucks. I also hate how long it takes for anyone to get anywhere once the action starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Artix74 posted:

Picked up the Oddboxx in the Steam sale and I'll be firing up Abe's Oddysee as soon as it finishes downloading. Anything important to note?

There's hidden paths with extra guys to save EVERYWHERE. There's literally one on the first screen you start on. You can only save at checkpoints which can be pretty far away from each other, and you will die/kill innocents all the time, so keep at it. There are good and bad endings depending on how many Mudokons you save, and handy billboards telling you how many you have left in each area of the game. The advice for Abe's Exoddus (when you get round to playing it) is largely the same, but the addition of quicksaves makes life a lot easier.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

I apologize if someone's posted some tips on the first Master of Orion game already, but I could use some.

I've messed around a little, but so far I'm last in everything when the news reports come and I get my rear end blown up in any kind of space fight.

Any tips for like the first 25-50 turns? I know the different factions probably have different strategies, but I'd think there's some basic stuff that would be useful.

If you're playing a smaller map I'd recommend keeping your colony ship at home until you send your two scouts out. This is in case you run into the Guardian who will deal you a huge blow if your colony ship runs into it.

Environmental and factory techs make a huge difference in that they raise your population and the number of factories they can control. Upon completion of these techs the research screen will ask if you want to increase funding and you should definitely do so.

Missiles are great in this game as are planetary missle bases so build these up as you can.

If you're playing as the Alkari then always go for small and medium class ships(preferably small). You get a ship size defense bonus and a racial ship defense bonus which along with great thrusters will make you very hard to hit. Plus these size ships can be built quickly and they add up.

Unless you're the Silicoids, try to ally with Humans and Psilons as they will both be helpful allies if someone declares war on you.

Finally, build up trade and research agreements as they will pay off in the long run.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this but I just picked up Titan Quest in the steam sales and I'm having serious problems getting it to run properly. I'm getting single figure FPS even on the menu screens, I attempted to change the resolution but that resulted in the game crashing on start up (I managed to fix this problem by running testapp.exe in the steam directory, don't ask me why).

On top of that I tried to run Immortal Throne and the menu screen is completely black. I can still see the cursor and it makes sound effects when I mouse over the invisible buttons but that's it. It's infuriating me because I remember playing the demo and having it work fine.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this mess?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
E: Nevermind

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 22, 2010

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Any tips on Space Ranger? I bought it from the Steam sale, hoping to fill the never ending void in my heart tha tused to be occupied by Starflight for Genesis and I'm having a hard time getting started. How do I carry more stuff? What are good ways to make money?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Any BFBC2 multiplayer tips would be received nicely, very nicely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Capm posted:

Any tips on Space Ranger? I bought it from the Steam sale, hoping to fill the never ending void in my heart tha tused to be occupied by Starflight for Genesis and I'm having a hard time getting started. How do I carry more stuff? What are good ways to make money?

The original or the sequel? I haven't played the original but in SR2 the game's technology improves over time so your items are clunky as gently caress in the beginning but become smaller and more efficient as the years go by. The best way to get money early in SR2 is enter an area that's at war and scavenge floating debris. Just be sure you're near the edge of the map because if even a single dominator sees you you'll be dead in a second.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

upperthorax posted:

Use spot as much as possible, q by default, you'll help your team and get assist points when enemies you spotted get killed. You'll probably level fastest as medic since you can unlock shock paddles to revive dead team mates.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Holistic Detective posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this but I just picked up Titan Quest in the steam sales and I'm having serious problems getting it to run properly. I'm getting single figure FPS even on the menu screens, I attempted to change the resolution but that resulted in the game crashing on start up (I managed to fix this problem by running testapp.exe in the steam directory, don't ask me why).

On top of that I tried to run Immortal Throne and the menu screen is completely black. I can still see the cursor and it makes sound effects when I mouse over the invisible buttons but that's it. It's infuriating me because I remember playing the demo and having it work fine.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this mess?

The only time I had an issue like this with Titan Quest was with an older graphics card, and I remember it having some issues with a specific card, though I can not remember what it was. Either way, upgrade your drivers for the existing card (the card I had that it wasn't running well on I BELIEVE was a 6600GT but I do not recall).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

al-azad posted:

The original or the sequel? I haven't played the original but in SR2 the game's technology improves over time so your items are clunky as gently caress in the beginning but become smaller and more efficient as the years go by. The best way to get money early in SR2 is enter an area that's at war and scavenge floating debris. Just be sure you're near the edge of the map because if even a single dominator sees you you'll be dead in a second.

Aim for dominator artifacts, they weight next to nothing and can be sold for crazy amount of credits at science stations. Also some components, weapon systems and drives, can fetch huge prizes. So unless otherwise impossible, loot battlefield for quality, not quantity, and sell dominator stuff at research stations, they sometimes even pay double.

Also, get yourself a hull with afterburner (doubles the speed, damages engine over time), and start running courier missions at hard (highes pay, shortest time). The game calculates the given time limits with no afterburner, so by using it the missions are rather easy, and the extra pay from quick delievery more than foots the repair bill from early-tech engines.

Thirdly, one easy way of making money is agreeing to play police for the shortest time available. If there wasn't any active fighting going on when you agreed to do it, the shortest contract is usually too short for anyone to be robbed and/or killed during your watch.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 25, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Okonner posted:

Use spot as much as possible, q by default, you'll help your team and get assist points when enemies you spotted get killed. You'll probably level fastest as medic since you can unlock shock paddles to revive dead team mates.

Question related to that. How do you start leveling medic? I only have the starter pistol and assault rifle. Cant seem to find anything else.

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP

RagnarokAngel posted:

Question related to that. How do you start leveling medic? I only have the starter pistol and assault rifle. Cant seem to find anything else.

You just have to grind through with all the starter weapons. It sucks as a first level, I think you do that, then you get the med pack, and then the next unlock is the paddles. It'll be a bit slow going unless you get into a groove with the medic PKM or you eventually unlock the SAW. I never really got the sense of not starting off with the health kit.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

upperthorax posted:

This video was made for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's the original. I'm at a point now where I literally can only pick up about 20 units before becoming immobile, so I'm going to try to do some safer mission type things until better equipment opens up, if I understand the advice here.

Thanks, gang.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just got the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition (had base game, but it was cheaper buying this to get all the DLC and the expansion). What are some tips for the DLC (don't just say "skip it") as well.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about to play Dead Space. I was hyped like hell for it when it was first announced, but never really got around to it until now. What little I've played of the game was semi-frustrating because I had no idea which weapon was ideal, which things to scrounge or save, etc.

So, if anyone can give me a crash course in poo poo that I need to know before I play, I'm all ears (eyes)!

edit: Disregard, I scrolled through the first 25 pages of the thread spamming ctrl-F "Dead Space" and found some good details. But if anyone else has stuff to add other than only carrying one or two weapons and upgrading the Plasma Cutter first, let me know!

oversteps fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 26, 2010

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dead Space

Your starting weapon is the only one you actually need (and there's an achievement for only using it through the entire game).

Don't carry weapons in your inventory unless you actually want to use them, because the game dishes out ammunition based on what you have. Never carry the flamethrower for this reason, it is completely worthless. The assault rifle is pretty terrible, too.

If you see a corpse laying on the ground, stomp on it. If you don't, a necromorph will probably infest it later.

Feel free to use the stasis and oxygen cheat codes liberally, the game doesn't penalize you for it in any way. There are also cheat codes that will give you power nodes once per play, also with no consequences.

Speaking of power nodes, always keep one with in your inventory, they'll unlock doors with lots of nice stuff behind them.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I got Resonance of Fate for christmas, and i'm on Chapter Four. I have the basics down, things that have been mentioned in this thread many times over but was wondering if there was anything else i should know? Particularly with regards to the hex system and how to link those stations up, as well as tips for the challenge battles.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Artix74 posted:

Picked up the Oddboxx in the Steam sale and I'll be firing up Abe's Oddysee as soon as it finishes downloading. Anything important to note?

To add to Lightguy's advice, you only get the 'good' ending if you save (almost) every single worker. It's been a while since I did it, but I seem to remember that you can leave a maximum of 3 dudes behind without getting the bad ending, but you're not allowed to kill any.
I'm probably wrong, so somebody please correct me here.

What I know for sure is that Abe's Oddysee is a dick about hidden paths. In general, look for tiny falling pixels rocks to indicate a ledge that you can climb up or down, and the spray-painted Mudokon smileys usually indicate a secret. There are even hidden paths in some of the hidden paths.

Don't be afraid to use a guide if you want to rescue them all first time, because you are guaranteed to miss some of them.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 27, 2010

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
I just nabbed Darksiders. I'm not really sure what I'm getting into, but from a friend I've talked to it's supposedly like DMC and I love me some DMC.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dragas posted:

I just nabbed Darksiders. I'm not really sure what I'm getting into, but from a friend I've talked to it's supposedly like DMC and I love me some DMC.
Here are some helpful tidbits from earlier in the thread.

Artix74 posted:

Get the Spear Tackle (I think that's what it's called, it's the move that lets you attack in a dash) as soon as possible, because it utterly trivializes the combat. [Note: this is the Harpoon Tackle, and yes it's pretty handy.]

Speaking of dashing, get it down as soon as possible. To effectively fight, you will need to be able to quickly move between several targets and get the hell out of the way of attacks. Just make sure you're not dashing into enemies, because that counts as an attack and will usually make you harmlessly bounce off of them while they pound you into the ground while you're recoiling.

Unlike God of War or Devil May Cry, your subweapons are to be used with your main weapon, not replace it. Busting out the scythe in the middle of a combo and finishing it with a heavy attack from the sword is completely possible and encouraged.

You are completely invincible while performing your finishers on enemies. You can immediately go into a finisher at any time, including in the middle of your combo or right out of a dash. Learn to abuse this, because the game loves to throw a lot of enemies at you at once, especially as the game goes on.

The game is almost all combat for the first hour or two. If you're thinking that it's just a bad Devil May Cry/God of War ripoff, at least stick around until you reach the Twilight Cathedral.

There's an achievement for fully upgrading all your weapons. Your sword is not included in this, which makes things much, much easier. Don't kill everything with the sword if you're going for this achievement, because your sword will get replaced and your new one will come at max level, wasting all those souls.

Get Fury's Embrace as soon as you can and equip it. It will reveal all the chests in the game, which makes hunting the Abyssal Armor and other Fragments much, much easier.

Magic is pretty useless outside of Stone Skin and Blade Geyser. The former will increase your offense and defense, with the latter being a very nice AoE spell.
I can't really think of much to add to this. As will probably be obvious, if you come across some manner of obstacle/interesting spot you just can't seem to overcome/reach, odds are you're supposed to return later once you've acquired the particular gadget needed to do so.

Killing crows restores health, which is great for when you'd like to fill up and don't want to waste a green chest, as do certain minor enemies that can be instakilled simply by grabbing them.

While carrying heavy guns, you can still dash, though you can't jump or run. It's a start though!

Bosses are more or less purely pattern-based, so once you've figured them out (this generally isn't too hard) they can be as easy as if not easier than some of the more obnoxious non-boss monsters.

As said above, the Harpoon Tackle is pretty handy, as is the corresponding LS+Y+RB move for the scythe (and its Hold Y and Y+RB moves as well). There are plenty of fights involving both one or two tough monsters as well as a slew of weaker ones, and AoE attacks really come in handy during those.

...yeah, I've got nothing. :shobon:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 27, 2010

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Rirse posted:

I just got the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition (had base game, but it was cheaper buying this to get all the DLC and the expansion). What are some tips for the DLC (don't just say "skip it") as well.

Return to Ostagar and Soldier's Peak can be done at very low levels. In fact, you can do them as soon as you leave Lothering. Return to Ostagar is useful because it nets you Cailan's Armor, pretty much guaranteed to be better than anything else you have access to at the time. Soldier's Peak is essential because completing it provides you with access to a storage chest. Even better, if you leave weapons and armor in the chest, their tier will increase over time with your level. This is an easy way to make a lot of cash: just hang on to all those steel and iron items, leave them in your chest, and then in 5 or 10 levels you'll have a ton of tier 7 equipment that you can sell off for a fortune.

Completing Leliana's Quest will provide you with magical armor when you start new games, and doing Shale's will unlock Shale as a companion. Neither one is a terrible idea, since the magic armor remains useful for a while and Shale is a decent companion.

I haven't played the Morrigan DLC, or the one where you get to play as the darkspawn (though friends have said that one is bland and repetitive). Awakenings is kind of a must if you enjoyed Origins, and the respec books you can buy are fantastic. Still, to get the most out of Awakenings, it pays to have been OCD while playing Origins since you retain all your items and experience at the start of the expansion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

blackguy32 posted:

Is there anything else outside of whats in the wiki for Jagged Alliance 2? I created my merc and he kind of sucks. I also hate how long it takes for anyone to get anywhere once the action starts.

Did you install the JA2 1.13 patch? I'm not sure what it changes exactly since the first time I played it I had the patch installed

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How is Pokemon HeartGold different from plain ol' Gold on the GBA?

Nekomata
Oct 9, 2009

Let's do it!

Dr Snofeld posted:

It is basically just Crystals features and script with the opposite gender character shoehorned in as a new rival, also some new post game stuff and every pokemon from ruby/sapphire and diamond/pearl added in.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's the story of Gold with Crystal's features running on the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum engine. They redid Kanto so it's actually like, well, Kanto, but it's a pretty faithful remake (so several problems, like the difficulty curve being absolutely hosed haven't been changed at all).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Please tell me something about The Witcher. I've done the prologue and I'm in some small town now, but I really don't know what talents to pick, how to do alchemy and such.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Artix74 posted:

It's the story of Gold with Crystal's features running on the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum engine. They redid Kanto so it's actually like, well, Kanto, but it's a pretty faithful remake (so several problems, like the difficulty curve being absolutely hosed haven't been changed at all).

Yeah, how do you cope with that anyway? The Elite 4 is a huge step up from the last gym leader, level wise. I only beat them in the GBC version by borrowing a friend's level 100 Ledian. Is it still just a case of grinding levels forever?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skilleddk posted:

Please tell me something about The Witcher. I've done the prologue and I'm in some small town now, but I really don't know what talents to pick, how to do alchemy and such.

Hannibal Smith posted:

-Take the skill herbalism ASAP

-Buy and read every book you can get your hands on. You need to learn about monsters and plants before you can harvest ingredients off of them, which you'll need to do for quests and potion-making.

-It's probably not worth spending points on any of the signs aside from Aard and Igni

-When you use a blacksmith, you're not a actually upgrading your current sword, you're making a brand new one

-Don't bother using any weapons aside from your swords. They really don't have a use beyond giving the enemies things to fight with.

-If you make a potion with a special additional ingredient, make all future potions of that type with the same ingredient, otherwise they'll take up a separate inventory slot.

-If you take long-lasting potions you can meditate to clear your toxicity while still keeping their effects active.

-Make sure to learn how to make Specter Oil and have a jar of it handy before the end of Act 1.

-Get anything you need out of storage at the beginning of Act V, because that's the only time you'll have access it for the entire act.
In other news:
Don't throw away unique ingredients. You'll get to make powerful potions with most boss monster body parts.

Once you get around to brewing potions, you can cater to your inner min-maxer by brewing potions with specific properties. I really like the regeneration property on long running potions like cat-eye - just throw it on as you go into a dungeon, and you'll shrug off random monster damage. Lower toxicity or faster stamina regeneration are good when you buff up before a big fight.

Get the intelligence talent that lets you gather herbs first, then click every plant you pass to grab potion ingredients.

For the most part, you should prioritize the basic speed, strength and stamina talents on every level. When you hit harder and faster and take less damage, you can try out other tricks. There aren't a lot of talents that are COMPLETELY useless, but the talent descriptions do a pretty good job of describing them. Like, if you're not big on using Igni (the fire sign), you don't really need the "more damage to enemies on fire" talents.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I'll agree with everything mentioned so far, but I will say that I had a hell of a good time using the Yrden and Axii signs, and there are some fights (especially later ones) where having them leveled up is phenomenally useful.

Also, bombs are great.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

A shrubbery! posted:

To add to Lightguy's advice, you only get the 'good' ending if you save (almost) every single worker. It's been a while since I did it, but I seem to remember that you can leave a maximum of 3 dudes behind without getting the bad ending, but you're not allowed to kill any.
I'm probably wrong, so somebody please correct me here.

I'm pretty sure you only have to save more than half to get the good ending. I had a friend who owned that game, pretty sure that's the case. It's the same in Abe's Exodus.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I just got Overlord 2 as part of the overlord pack. I've played the first one and I'm wondering if there's anything important that I can miss out on.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

After playing Dead Space everyone's advice has come in handy! Only I'm still finding other weapon's ammunition in lockers and stuff, which annoys me, but I sell all of it.

I got the DLC tank armor which kind of broke the game since I had level 5 armor from the get-go (with all 25 or whatever inventory slots), and thanks to selling all of that extra ammo, I had plenty of credits to buy a bunch of power nodes, which let me fully upgrade my gun and rig really, really quickly. I just started chapter 6 and I've only got one HP node left to add.

I somewhat feel like I'm cheating, but man, this game is UNNERVINGLY scary.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Against my better judgment I picked up Elemental: War of Magic. I was having such fun with Gal Civ 2 and heard the 1.1 patch made Elemental playable so...yeah I dunno. Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing. Any tips (apart from "don't play" which is hilarious)?

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Artix74 posted:

You only need to save more than half (50) Muds to get the good ending. If this is what you're going for, don't worry too about missing a lot of them. Almost half of them are in the last area of the game, and they're not hidden.
The only thing you get from saving all 99 Muds (besides a sense of satisfaction) is access to the movie gallery.
Letting more than 75(I think) Muds die gets you a much more interesting reward once you've beaten the game.

Care how close you stand to mines you want to destroy. Their blast radius is larger than you think.

Elum handles like crap.

Sligs can shoot you from the background.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 28, 2010

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Just got Infamous for Christmas, haven't played it yet. Anything I should know?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Monicro posted:

Just got Infamous for Christmas, haven't played it yet. Anything I should know?

Evil is the easiest way to play, because you (a) get abilities that do splash and area-of-effect damage, and (b) you don't have to worry about hurting civilians when you use your abilities. In fact, hurting civilians makes you more evil, which gives you access to more powers.

When you play as good, you have to really careful about not killing random civilians. To that end, all your powers are restraint-based. So instead of getting to throw SEVEN shock grenades at once like the evil guy, you only ever get to throw ONE, but eventually that grenade will automatically restrain enemies in its blast radius. Instead of a shockwave that causes damage to people, the good guy's shockwave will make enemies levitate for a while so you can pick them off without hurting civilians.

Other than that the game is REALLY straightforward:

- Finding blast shards, either by exploring or completing sidequests, is the fastest way to make your character stronger. Getting new abilities helps (so you should always beeline for the substation main quests as they're guaranteed to grant you a new power each time), but having more power to draw from is handier in the long run. You can use your minimap to find them--just push in the joystick like you're looking for energy sources. Blast shards show up as blue dots on your map when you do this.
- Once you get the ability to ride on rails and power lines (instead of just running along them) be sure to buy the health/energy regen upgrade for that ability ASAP. You purchase upgrades out of order if that helps. It's just dead useful when you're on the run and close to death or when you need to speed past a particularly difficult group of enemies.
- Taking the higher ground will make most fights way more manageable. There are few enemies that can climb/teleport, so if you're ever mobbed at ground level just hop on a wall and pick them off from the roof.
- As an evil character, your arc lightning ability (I think you may have to buy all the upgrades, or close to) is great at stunning groups of enemies. If you shock them quickly it won't do much damage but it will daze most of them for 1-2 seconds which is a godsend in the late game.

AlPath
Jan 14, 2008
Picked up Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum from the Steam sale, anything I should know before I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

AlPath posted:

Picked up Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum from the Steam sale, anything I should know before I start?

Listing everything you might need to know from D&D 3.5 would take 10 pages, but just have a basic understanding of the system and you should be okay. For game specific information, the OC and MOTB (like every other videogame campaign) have quite a few crit-immune critters, so keep that in mind when deciding to make a rogue character. Also, in the expansion at epic levels it is a bit easier for melee classes because of the ungodly weapons you can craft, and the limited selection of epic spells, and the game mechanic in MOTB that makes resting all the time difficult.