Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Finally something worth watching, Whistle and I'll Come to You is just about to start in case anyone both forgot and is reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm not sure if I'm being pathetic but I think my hair actually stood on end whilst watching 'Whistle And I'll Come To You'. Good choice for a christmas eve, would go well with watching 'The Shout' I think.

Now to catch up on the rest of the christmas stuff like the ronnie corbett documentary. Merry Christmas dudes.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Merry Christmas UK goons

Here is your mystery present http://tinyurl.com/32d8ukb

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Lol Lee Mack is goddamn retarded

Also, surprisingly, Daniel Radcliffe knows a lot of things!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Urgh, this is another steaming pile of liquid crap poured on an all already solid steaming pile of a crappy loving day. Due to being stuck living in perhaps the worst loving area of the UK, not only is the internet connection here limited to a shoddy ADSL connection (that's so bad i can barely watch iplayer), but the digital TV signal is so loving horrid that i can't even pick up channel 4 today.

I'm stuck with just BBC 1, 2, 3 and QV bloody C. :mad:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Charlotte Church seems to have forgotten how to sing.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
For a street that almost destroyed by a tram crash 2 weeks ago, most of the cast of corrie don't seem that bothered about it.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Taear posted:

Has anyone been watching the Little Crackers on Sky? They're on Sky Anytime if you've got a Sky+ HD box and they're pretty drat good. Victoria Wood's was the grittiest northernest one and I really loved David Baddiel's, Julian Barrats, Chris O'Dowds and Bill Bailey's.
Jo Brand and Kathy Burke had quite dull ones and I daren't touch Catherine Tate's.

It's all very much up to the person who made it what it's like though. The female ones are all about their childhood for some reason, Bill Bailey's is basically a 15 minute sketch and David Baddiel's is basically an anecdote.

I honestly couldn't make head nor tail of Julian Barratt's one. That's the only one I've seen.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I don't think Bill Bailey quite got the design briefing for his, what did it have to do with his childhood? Even in Barratt's (which was plenty surreal) it concentrated on him as a (more than likely at least half fictional) teenager. Bill Bailey's was just him in a parking lot, as a man. poo poo felt weird man.

I also skipped Catherine Tate's. The rest were all quite good though.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
gently caress me alive this Royle Family is bad, gently caress.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Psybro posted:

gently caress me alive this Royle Family is bad, gently caress.

Which is why I'm watching the greatest Christmas movie of all time on Film4.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
They're showing Home Alone 2: Lost in New York?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kuno posted:

I don't think Bill Bailey quite got the design briefing for his, what did it have to do with his childhood? Even in Barratt's (which was plenty surreal) it concentrated on him as a (more than likely at least half fictional) teenager. Bill Bailey's was just him in a parking lot, as a man. poo poo felt weird man.

I don't think they have to be to do with your childhood. It just seems that most people took it that way.

I'll agree that I really wasn't sure what the gently caress was going on with the end of Julian Barratt's though. Why did satan just wander off?

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 25, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Flatscan posted:

Which is why I'm watching the greatest Christmas movie of all time on Film4.

Why are they showing the second one tomorrow and then jumping straight to the fourth on Monday?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

cloudchamber posted:

Why are they showing the second one tomorrow and then jumping straight to the fourth on Monday?

Not a clue. Maybe they couldn't get the broadcast rights for the third one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Are the third and fourth ones even set at Christmas?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

thebardyspoon posted:

Are the third and fourth ones even set at Christmas?

No, only the first two are connected by having a christmas setting. The last two are connected by the fact that they were thrown together from pre-existing scripts.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Come Fly With Me is a literal abomination.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I think Come Fly With Me would be better if Lucas & Walliams had hired a cast rather than playing all the parts themselves. Plus I'm quite sure that blacking up and acting out stereotypes really isn't the done thing nowadays.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

All of the legitimately unbelievable, ripe and hilarious stories that genuinely come out of real airports every single day and all they can think of is one "DOESN'T THAT ETHNIC MINORITY TALK FUNNY!!!" joke after another.

Plus Matt Lucas' swipe at the intelligence of Disney fans is rich, considering Little Britain's demographic.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 25, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Adrianics posted:

Come Fly With Me is a literal abomination.

"Dog is dead"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I will admit that did raise a smile from me, and was pretty .gif-worthy.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I thought Come Fly with Me was quite funny. Some bits had me in stitches (mostly the ethnic minorities, does that make me a bad person?)

(Yes, it does.)

Eastenders was disappointing,no baby deaths or anything.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Up until the thread mentioned little Britain, I honestly thought 'come fly with me' was a 'come dine with me' spin off.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Kin posted:

"Dog is dead"

That was funny and the Lucas Japanese bit did get a guilty laugh out of me. I also like Walliams as the husband in the Disney bit. The rest of it was bad but actually not as bad or as racist as Little Britain's recent output.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Urgh, the telly that I saw during the family get together evening all looked universally terrible. Doesn't help that S4C was on half the time, but I don't think it made that much difference. I'm off to watch last week's Friday Night Lights on my laptop.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Psybro posted:

That was funny and the Lucas Japanese bit did get a guilty laugh out of me. I also like Walliams as the husband in the Disney bit. The rest of it was bad but actually not as bad or as racist as Little Britain's recent output.

I haven't seen Little Britain in years but are you saying it's now more racist than the lazy thieving blackface lady or the part where they were literally pulling slanty eyes and singing ching chong?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Tempo 119 posted:

I haven't seen Little Britain in years but are you saying it's now more racist than the lazy thieving blackface lady or the part where they were literally pulling slanty eyes and singing ching chong?

At least that racist. The third series had a character literally called Ting Tong Macadangdang who turns out to be a ladyboy.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
While there were a handful of more tasteful jokes (though that's not a comment on their quality), I was also pretty speechless when I saw the Japanese schoolgirls. There wasn't any subtext, the actual joke was that they had slanty eyes and talked funny (... because they're Japanese, lol).

Here's a related article by Johann Hari ranting about Little Britain, with much of the same reasoning.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

While there were a handful of more tasteful jokes (though that's not a comment on their quality), I was also pretty speechless when I saw the Japanese schoolgirls. There wasn't any subtext, the actual joke was that they had slanty eyes and talked funny (... because they're Japanese, lol).

Here's a related article by Johann Hari ranting about Little Britain, with much of the same reasoning.

To be fair, they know their demographic very well. Yes, all you need to do is black up or apply some (horrifying) slanty eyed makeup and you're golden.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
It's a shame because the concept of Martin Clunes being huge in Japan is hilarious.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It's also a shame because I've always quite liked Walliams and Lucas in their outside appearances, in all of their other work they seem like genuinely funny, talented and decent guys but when they do stuff together (outside of Rock Profile, which was awesome) they just come across as a couple of horrible, spiteful racists.

I know that they're pandering to a bountiful demographic, but that's a pretty feeble justification.

Did anyone watch The One Ronnie, by the way?

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Adrianics posted:

Me and the wife groaned our way through it. On the one hand I kept thinking how absolutely terrible and pedestrian it was, but on the other it instantly transported me back to Christmas Dinner as a kid with the Two Ronnies Christmas special on, followed by the same Morcambe and Wise special, the one with Angela Rippon that you've watched a 100 times already.

If you haven't seen it, I'd say watch it for Nostalgias sake, not comedy.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Adrianics posted:

The blackberry sketch was pretty funny, it has the most :smith: title though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I was sure i read that Die Hard 2 was on tonight. Anyone know what channel?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Kin posted:

I was sure i read that Die Hard 2 was on tonight. Anyone know what channel?

It's on Film4.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Film 4

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

It's on Film4.

Cheers. Although, the signal is still as lovely as it was yesterday and i can't even pick the channel up properly :/ that could be why i missed it on the TV guide thingy.

I thought we were long past the lovely times of having crap TV reception, especially with the nationwide switchover to digital next year.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
All the digital switchover means is that the TV in my room is down to having lovely reception on all but eight of the channels instead of all but four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Only thing i really have looked forward to is Match of the day (and thats on all year round) today. Boxing day use to be great :sigh: