Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Hopefully in the upcoming reviews they'll reveal how far you can overclock the K chips on air cooling. Wasn't there a rumor floating around that they overclocked an engineering sample to 4.9GHz on air cooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I think someone did on the xtremesystems forums. But that was at high volts you wouldn't want to use 24/7. Still, its very impressive and hopefully means most chips should do 4-4.2 without breaking a sweat

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea this guy got a engineering sample. He posts at XS all the time and got his sample to a little over 5Ghz. Intel also demoed a overclocked system at 4.9Ghz with a stock heatsink running Cinebench before him though. Supposedly you don't need high volts to OC them either, but we'll have to wait and see because all we have right now are ES screens on random sites to go by.

If you run stuff at stock and already have a Core i3/5/7 SB really isn't worth upgrading for performance wise. If you overclock and/or have an older system it should be quite an upgrade though.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2010

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Excursus posted:

It's being launched January 5th, so I guess that's when the official reviews from Anand etc. will come out.

I know this is the wrong thread, but when is Bulldozer's launch and/or anyone know what they're going to leak around the 5th to try to keep people waiting?

I've been sitting on cash for a new computer for almost 3 months now thanks to Sandy Bridge.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just noticed that UEFI doesn't seem to be mandatory with the Sandy Bridges. At least the first mainboard I checked on Gigabyte's site mentions a regular Award BIOS.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I'm waiting for reviews but i've got around 550€ ready to replace my old C2D with one of these new SB CPUs with new MB/RAM.
i2600k looks like it's going to be around 300€ here which doesn't really seem worth it though, compared to 200€ i2500k.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you do gaming/internet those extra 4 threads the i7 2600K gets you really aren't gonna do much for you. The i5 2500K would the the "sweet spot" price/performance wise of a decent number of cores (4 of em') and the high clock speed OC'ing will get you. Also there was a review posted on the previous page...

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis

Chuu posted:

I know this is the wrong thread, but when is Bulldozer's launch and/or anyone know what they're going to leak around the 5th to try to keep people waiting?

I've been sitting on cash for a new computer for almost 3 months now thanks to Sandy Bridge.

Launch is scheduled for April, but I can't see it being worth another 4 months wait. If you're really hurting for an upgrade, just go for the new i5 in January.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Does anyone know of a list anywhere with confirmed UEFI motherboards for Sandy Bridge launch?

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yea this guy got a engineering sample. He posts at XS all the time and got his sample to a little over 5Ghz. Intel also demoed a overclocked system at 4.9Ghz with a stock heatsink running Cinebench before him though. Supposedly you don't need high volts to OC them either, but we'll have to wait and see because all we have right now are ES screens on random sites to go by.

If you run stuff at stock and already have a Core i3/5/7 SB really isn't worth upgrading for performance wise. If you overclock and/or have an older system it should be quite an upgrade though.

I'm sure retail SBs definitely won't hit the overclocks achieved by the hand-picked ES chips.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That's crazy they got that high an overclock out out of those chips but I have a feeling they were cherry-picked. As for upgrading, I would be coming from an overclocked C2D E8400 so I would be joining the quad-core club but at this point I'm going to wait until the final verdict on the 5th to see if these are worth upgrading to or not. I use my system primarily for games and internet so I don't need something absurdly powerful. But I'm seeing more games recommend and take advantage of quad-core and the Intel quads are better at the moment.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

freeforumuser posted:

I'm sure retail SBs definitely won't hit the overclocks achieved by the hand-picked ES chips.

It sounds like you're under the impression that engineering samples are of higher quality than the retail chips. They aren't. Tweaks to the design to improve yields will have been added, and the manufacturing process will have been improved, so a substantially larger portion of the retail chips will be capable of achieving those speeds than the engineering samples, even at release.

I would expect Intel to favor higher-binning chips for the unlocked models anyway, since it wouldn't cost them anything and better overclocks will convince more people to pay the extra.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zhentar posted:

It sounds like you're under the impression that engineering samples are of higher quality than the retail chips. They aren't. Tweaks to the design to improve yields will have been added, and the manufacturing process will have been improved, so a substantially larger portion of the retail chips will be capable of achieving those speeds than the engineering samples, even at release.

I would expect Intel to favor higher-binning chips for the unlocked models anyway, since it wouldn't cost them anything and better overclocks will convince more people to pay the extra.

Production chipsets and CPUs come with functionality disabled as well. Some of our Ibex Peak docs had pages just filled with BGA balls marked 'NC"; the Intel FAE said the functionality that was supposed to be present didn't pass QA, so they just wrote off that part of the silicon and those balls, too late to change it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gigabyte is to be avoided like the plague. I found various previews of their new boards and they do indeed still have regular old BIOSes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is crazy that all the Sandy Bridge CPU's are at a minimum of 3.1 GHZ and overclock to 3.4GHZ.

Maybe this is a sign that the 4GHZ barrier might be broken?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
TBH I've never understood why the single core Turbo frequency is only ~10% higher. Whats the point? Make it 15-20 at least

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gigabyte is to be avoided like the plague. I found various previews of their new boards and they do indeed still have regular old BIOSes.

Then which motherboard maker is going to have UEFI on their SB boards? And is UEFI needed yet other than allowing the boot drive to be larger than 2TB? I would like to get a board with UEFI but I don't want to pay a premium for it. If they cost significantly more than BIOS boards then I'm sticking with a BIOS board.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The only thing that interests me about EFI is possibly faster boot times. But I always use sleep, making boot times irrelevant.
I'll still with the P67A-UD4 I have now, thanks. (Even if I don't have a CPU, yet.)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

freeforumuser posted:

spasticColon posted:

That's crazy they got that high an overclock out out of those chips but I have a feeling they were cherry-picked.
Maybe but I wouldn't be surprised if it they weren't. OC's to ~4Ghz on air are already quite common with Core i3/5/7. With some better (ie. water) cooling ~4.5Ghz is quite doable. Obviously not everyone will get 5Ghz out of SB but I wouldn't be surprised to see OC's well over 4Ghz become common given what Intel and others have demonstrated.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

The only thing that interests me about EFI is possibly faster boot times. But I always use sleep, making boot times irrelevant.
I'll still with the P67A-UD4 I have now, thanks. (Even if I don't have a CPU, yet.)

With both an SSD and faster boot times, I wonder about just going to hibernate.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

On current versions of Windows these modes have been combined into Hybrid Standby. The system hibernates, then switches to Standby mode. The result is if power isn't cut to the system, it wakes up instantly as if it was asleep. If it does lose power, then when power is restored it wakes up from Hibernate mode without having to wait for a full reboot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

On current versions of Windows these modes have been combined into Hybrid Standby. The system hibernates, then switches to Standby mode. The result is if power isn't cut to the system, it wakes up instantly as if it was asleep. If it does lose power, then when power is restored it wakes up from Hibernate mode without having to wait for a full reboot.

Yeah but if I just do hibernate on my desktop I can save a whopping 1W of power or something minuscule like that!

Or in the case of my work laptop I bring it out of sleep after the weekend only to find that I have 30% battery left during a morning meeting.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 29, 2010

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD. Hybrid sleep is useful, however. Put system to sleep, let it write the hibernation data, unplug, carry to LAN. Plug in and hit power, boom everything is back where it was.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ilkhan posted:

Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD.

Why? The impression I got from the SSD thread is that you basically don't have to worry about modern SSDs' lifespans unless you actively try to gently caress them up.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Toast Museum posted:

Why? The impression I got from the SSD thread is that you basically don't have to worry about modern SSDs' lifespans unless you actively try to gently caress them up.

Capacity's a concern, though, and your hibernation file is as big as your RAM. On a fairly ordinary system with 4 gigs of RAM and an 80-90 gig SSD, that's about 5% of the drive's total capacity just for the hibernation file.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
But it gets deleted afterward.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD. Hybrid sleep is useful, however. Put system to sleep, let it write the hibernation data, unplug, carry to LAN. Plug in and hit power, boom everything is back where it was.

I'm confused, you don't want to hibernate because it requires too much data but you want to use hybrid sleep even though it writes the same hibernation data?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nonpython posted:

But it gets deleted afterward.

What? No, it doesn't, at least not on Windows. As long as hibernation is enabled, hiberfil.sys exists on the root of the boot drive, equal in size to the amount of physical RAM in the system. Even if you could delete it, you'd still have a requirement to keep at least that much free space set aside, which boils down to the same thing: less space available for the rest of your data.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Then which motherboard maker is going to have UEFI on their SB boards?

Don't quote me, I may be totally wrong.

As far as I know ASUS, MSI, and ASRock have UEFI. Gigabyte will get their UEFI update down the road.

1155 Motherboards
ASRock: http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155
ASUS: http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m
Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=1&p=2&v=24
MSI: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodpage2&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=893
Biostar: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/index.php?S_ID=13

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 29, 2010

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I live in Shenzhen, China, which is a major site for black/grey market electronics. I can see there are people selling Sandy Bridge processors already, and a reputable chinese online retailer is already selling three MSI boards. I'm kind of tempted to try my luck, but Shenzhen is also famous for fake electronics so I don't really wanna get burned.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

MeramJert posted:

I live in Shenzhen, China, which is a major site for black/grey market electronics. I can see there are people selling Sandy Bridge processors already, and a reputable chinese online retailer is already selling three MSI boards. I'm kind of tempted to try my luck, but Shenzhen is also famous for fake electronics so I don't really wanna get burned.

I wouldn't try my luck with expensive electronics in those markets. Fake watches and other accessories, maybe, but not a motherboard. Unless of course you really trust and know of a reputable one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Then which motherboard maker is going to have UEFI on their SB boards? And is UEFI needed yet other than allowing the boot drive to be larger than 2TB? I would like to get a board with UEFI but I don't want to pay a premium for it. If they cost significantly more than BIOS boards then I'm sticking with a BIOS board.
All upcoming SB board from Asus do have EFI. And yes, you need EFI for +2TB drives, at least if you don't want to partition it. If the boot partition's below 2TB, then it should be OK I think.

I'm going with the P8P67 Pro from Asus currently. I like Gigabyte, I currently have a loving expensive one from them, but their support and promises are usually bullshit. So if the current series of boards don't have EFI, they'll never get it.

For me it's the principle. Everyone's FINALLY going to use EFI, and they're trailing behind.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 29, 2010

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fuseshock posted:

I wouldn't try my luck with expensive electronics in those markets. Fake watches and other accessories, maybe, but not a motherboard. Unless of course you really trust and know of a reputable one.

No, the motherboards are being sold by 京东 which is a reputable online retailer. I assume the processors are engineering samples smuggled out of the dozens of motherboard manufacturer's factories in Shenzhen

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

What? No, it doesn't, at least not on Windows. As long as hibernation is enabled, hiberfil.sys exists on the root of the boot drive, equal in size to the amount of physical RAM in the system. Even if you could delete it, you'd still have a requirement to keep at least that much free space set aside, which boils down to the same thing: less space available for the rest of your data.

Not only does the hibernation file doesn't get deleted as you mention (I just disable hibernation), but everyone is also forgetting about the page file. I have 6 gigs of RAM installed now, and according to windows 6143 MB are allocated right now, with 9214 being recommended. If I left hibernation enabled and kept the page file on the SSD, that would add up to 12GB right there. And if I were building a new PC, I'd probably just go with 8 gigs, so that would be about 16GB or 20% of the smaller SSDs.

That said, as excited as I am about the new processor, my currently setup of (stock) Q6600 with a 8800GT just doesn't seem slow to me yet. The graphics card could be upgraded for some games and oveclocking the CPU would help, but otherwise it almost feels like Sandy Bridge is coming out too soon.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

mobby_6kl posted:

That said, as excited as I am about the new processor, my currently setup of (stock) Q6600 with a 8800GT just doesn't seem slow to me yet. The graphics card could be upgraded for some games and oveclocking the CPU would help, but otherwise it almost feels like Sandy Bridge is coming out too soon.

I'm in pretty much exactly the same boat. I plan on throwing $200 at a new graphics card eventually so I can throw hdmi across the room to my a/v system, but it's not really something I need right now. C2Q and 8800GT going strong so far, though when crysis 2 comes out...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm confused, you don't want to hibernate because it requires too much data but you want to use hybrid sleep even though it writes the same hibernation data?
No, I said hydrid sleep is useful, but I wouldn't use it with an SSD. My systems have 6-8GB RAM, and I wouldn't want that much data going on/off/repeat an SSD 4x (or more) a day. useful != will always use.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

No, I said hydrid sleep is useful, but I wouldn't use it with an SSD. My systems have 6-8GB RAM, and I wouldn't want that much data going on/off/repeat an SSD 4x (or more) a day. useful != will always use.
You don't need to worry about how much data you write to an SSD at all. Even if you're writing the full capacity of your SSD every day (64GB SSD, 8GB RAM, hibernated 8X a day), you have over 10 years before you'll wear it out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Ah but then your description of why you found hybrid sleep to be useful was basically just describing what hibernate does, so I got confused. Unless you were referring to a laptop in which cause just normal sleep would do that as well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/12/28/msi-shows-its-big-bang-marshal-board/

quote:

WHAT DO YOU do as a motherboard manufacturer when you have to come up with a flagship product that is unlike anything your competitors have? Well, in the case of MSI you create the Big Bang Marshal, a monster of a board that features no less than eight x16 PCI Express slots in an XL-ATX form factor.

The first and most obvious question is how MSI managed to get enough bandwidth for eight x16 PCI Express slots and the simple answer is, they didn't. The more complex answer is that the board has four slots with x16 bandwidth and if you want to use all eight slots, they operate at x8 bandwidth. This is still way more bandwidth than the Sandy Bridge processors offer and MSI didn't use a pair of nF200 chips either, instead the Big Bang Marshal uses a new Lucid Hydra chip that we sadly don't have any specific details on at this moment, but from what we understood, this time around we're talking about a bridge chip rather than a solution that allows for mix and match graphics cards to work in tandem.

why, why, why, would someone need this? I'd like to know more about how they implemented this bridge chip because otherwise what the gently caress

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'd like to see how well 8 graphics cards (or even 4) work when sharing only 16 PCI-E lanes between them. Bridge chips like the NF200 and Lucid Hydra help, but that only goes so far.