Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Footboy posted:

I may have you bested, in that regard.

There's no elegant way to fit an entertainment center and home office into a 7'×4' space.

You start with HDMI. :psyduck:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Footboy posted:

I may have you bested, in that regard.

There's no elegant way to fit an entertainment center and home office into a 7'×4' space.

I currently use a rear projection set from 2002 with no HDMI and the whole setup looks three times as bad as this despite my anal retentive tendencies and not being posed with the challenge of cramming everything into an office. Can't wait until I get to use HDMI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zorilla posted:

I currently use a rear projection set from 2002 with no HDMI and the whole setup looks three times as bad as this despite my anal retentive tendencies and not being posed with the challenge of cramming everything into an office. Can't wait until I get to use HDMI.

HDMI almost takes the accomplishment out of wiring a home theater. I have a big Marantz receiver which has just five HDMI cables, 7 speaker cables, and a subwoofer cable plugged in to it. A few years ago its predecessor had nearly every port on the back filled up and managing to get everything plugged in to the right place was an art form.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

IsaacNewton posted:

You start with HDMI. :psyduck:

There are serious drawbacks to running HDMI TBH. I have had a million more problems in dealing with HDMI than I did in dealing with Component. The only real advantage for me was the whole 1 cable deal. It constantly wants to fail handshakes, is far more finicky with distance runs etc.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

New monitors which I mounted - I like the mounted look a lot better. Plus now I can sit stuff under them.

Ya. I have a bit of cable nightmare against the wall.

I'm more curious about the mannequin's hand.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Jetfire posted:

If it's not a paperweight, I'm guessing it's catproofing (knowing the relationship between cats and printers)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jetfire posted:

It's a prostectic mold of my hand. I don't really know why its sitting on the printer.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2023

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
heres mine

Click here for the full 1400x838 image.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Been redoing mine woth a solid oak work top:

Cut the holes out today and got everything on there, although none of my underdesk lighting or USB extension cables came so I can't finish properly yet.

The coping saw got tiresome after a while so we brought out a classic technique

Looked ok after some filing though

Nearly finished product

Left to right:
Ikea Markus Chair
Mordaunt Mezzo 2
Lamp #1
HP DM4 1060
AUNE Headphone Amp
LG 32" 1080p
Apple Keyboard
Lian Li Mousepad
MX1100R mouse
Griffin Air thing with iPhone 4 in it
Lamp #2
Lens case
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2
Sennheiser HD555
CA Amp/360/PS3/controllers
Lian Li PC70

I think that's everything.

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
I have the same chair and it gives me back pain :-/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Raikiri posted:

Been redoing mine woth a solid oak work top

Is that the kitchen worktop from ikea?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

brathering posted:

I have the same chair and it gives me back pain :-/

I find it really comfortable, must be your back.

KingEup posted:

Is that the kitchen worktop from ikea?

No it's an oak one from a timber yard, Ikea here wanted £170 for a 2.4m length. I got this 4m one for £150.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

That is one amazingly awesome desk!

Here's my horrific mess. I'm moving from an apartment to a nice new house within the month, so I'll finally get to set everything up in a nice and orderly fashion. I'm definitely getting rid of the desk for something bigger, as it was fine back 3 years ago when I only had one monitor, not so much for dual, let alone dual + LED TV.

Edit: Oh, and some cable management right off the bat will be nice...

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 30, 2010

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Ikea Vika Furuskog desktop (currently raw), 5 Vika Curry legs, 2 Signum cable organisers (all the cables run from behind the sub on the left to behind the hi-fi rack on the right).

Tucked away on top of the hi-fi rack is one of these, and towards the bottom is one of these (the one with the time display).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Raikiri posted:

Been redoing mine woth a solid oak work top:

Cut the holes out today and got everything on there, although none of my underdesk lighting or USB extension cables came so I can't finish properly yet.

The coping saw got tiresome after a while so we brought out a classic technique

Looked ok after some filing though

Nearly finished product

Left to right:
Ikea Markus Chair
Mordaunt Mezzo 2
Lamp #1
HP DM4 1060
AUNE Headphone Amp
LG 32" 1080p
Apple Keyboard
Lian Li Mousepad
MX1100R mouse
Griffin Air thing with iPhone 4 in it
Lamp #2
Lens case
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2
Sennheiser HD555
CA Amp/360/PS3/controllers
Lian Li PC70

I think that's everything.

I like that you're entire desk is a pleasant combination of black and wood tones, and then you've got a bright green Lian Li case out of nowhere.

Still, case buddies :hfive:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Centipeed posted:

I like that you're entire desk is a pleasant combination of black and wood tones, and then you've got a bright green Lian Li case out of nowhere.

Still, case buddies :hfive:

My black V1200+ II was getting a bit limiting and the Pc70 was really cheap :D £30 with 2 360 rad mounts, 4 yate loon fans, fan controller etc.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

The MBP and 24" iMac share keyboard/mouse using Teleport. The 17" iMac serves as a third display for the MBP using ScreenRecycler over ethernet, while working as a file server in the background.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

The MBP and 24" iMac share keyboard/mouse using Teleport. The 17" iMac serves as a third display for the MBP using ScreenRecycler over ethernet, while working as a file server in the background.

Just to confirm, you own 2 iMacs, a Macbook Pro, 2 iPads and a Macbook Air?

Edit: Oh and an iPhone.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Centipeed posted:

There's only one iPad in the photo...? The thing under the laptop is a Cintiq.
And that's an iPod Touch. AT&T service is horrible here.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Is that a 4x3 camera sitting on the shelf to the right of Carl? Those Lacie arrays look pretty nice down there as well. Too bad they're so expensive!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It looks like a 6x6 TLR. I really di your lightbox setup there woot :3:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

tehschulman posted:

Is that a 4x3 camera sitting on the shelf to the right of Carl? Those Lacie arrays look pretty nice down there as well. Too bad they're so expensive!

It's an old Kodak Brownie that takes 620, or respooled 120.

Martytoof posted:

It looks like a 6x6 TLR. I really di your lightbox setup there woot :3:

Thanks. I'm in temporary living quarters at the moment, so I'm a bit limited to what I can do with them. I usually have the large one hanging on the wall, and I have twelve of the smaller ones that I use around the office. They're all daylight balanced, which is perfect for photo work, feels good in the winter, and provides nice and soft indirect light with minimal reflections. It's amazing how such simple changes in lighting can affect the feel of a space. If I ever quit photography I'm going to pursue lighting design.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, my space is in dire need of a lighting upgrade. By which I mean "I need something more than a cheap Ikea lamp on my desk and a cfl bulb on the ceiling".

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

woot fatigue posted:

It's an old Kodak Brownie that takes 620, or respooled 120.

Thanks. I'm in temporary living quarters at the moment, so I'm a bit limited to what I can do with them. I usually have the large one hanging on the wall, and I have twelve of the smaller ones that I use around the office. They're all daylight balanced, which is perfect for photo work, feels good in the winter, and provides nice and soft indirect light with minimal reflections. It's amazing how such simple changes in lighting can affect the feel of a space. If I ever quit photography I'm going to pursue lighting design.

Please, please, pursue a career in architectural lighting. Every contract I get is an uphill battle against people who just want to throw 40w fluorescent tubes in everything, slap some color changing LEDs on the exterior walls and call it LEED certified.

Getting them to even consider indirect lighting (much less color temperatures) requires an act of god.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Centipeed posted:

You missed the mac mini.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
That really does look like something you'd find in an iSpy book. Really dig the lighting, though.

(I spy a scissors...)

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

thelightguy posted:

Please, please, pursue a career in architectural lighting. Every contract I get is an uphill battle against people who just want to throw 40w fluorescent tubes in everything, slap some color changing LEDs on the exterior walls and call it LEED certified.

Getting them to even consider indirect lighting (much less color temperatures) requires an act of god.

Considering 75% of photo processing involves correcting color casts, I've become super sensitive to color temperatures - to the point where I can just look at a bulb and give an estimate within 500k. You should've been there when the management at my old loft came in and "upgraded" all of my built-in fixtures with CFLs.

The main problem I've been dealing with the past year and a half or so, is that a lot of the light fixtures on the market are just not designed for CFLs, causing horribly flat lighting. As much as I hate them, there's not much that can be done as they're here to stay - I just hope the lighting manufacturers get their act together and adapt their designs.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, my space is in dire need of a lighting upgrade. By which I mean "I need something more than a cheap Ikea lamp on my desk and a cfl bulb on the ceiling".

The best advice I can give to make a quick, cheap fix is to kill the ceiling light, and bring concentrate on small, lower powered lights where you need it the most. Bringing the light down from the ceiling will make the room feel larger, while the separate concentrated lights will put emphasis on what needs it. I usually have one or two strips of these with 20w halogens as my main light source in each room: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40135686
They used to have a similar set that was extremely minimalist, and was less than $20 for a power supply, three lights, and the wires, but they discontinued it (they weren't very reliable, I've had quite a few of them die - but hey, they're only $20!)

greasyhands posted:

You missed the mac mini.

That's a Time Capsule.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

The main problem I've been dealing with the past year and a half or so, is that a lot of the light fixtures on the market are just not designed for CFLs, causing horribly flat lighting. As much as I hate them, there's not much that can be done as they're here to stay - I just hope the lighting manufacturers get their act together and adapt their designs.

Ultimately the solution to CFLs is to not use them. Fluorescents, especially cheap ones like most CFLs, don't put out a full spectrum like incandescents or halogens, hence why everything looks so flat. CFLs suck at color rendering.

Every room in my house where I care about the quality of light uses a mixture of PAR lamps, R lamps, and repurposed halogen stage fixtures. 3200k or bust.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat what's your energy bill like thelightguy?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

tehschulman posted:

drat what's your energy bill like thelightguy?

Pretty cheap all things considered. I only turn on the expensive lights when I'm actually in the room for a length of time or when I have guests over, and they're only installed in my dining room, living room, kitchen and office. Everything else gets CFLs.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 4, 2011

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
The picture looks overexposed as hell too. I sincerely doubt it's actually that bright.

ed: oops you're talking to the other guy.

Apps fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Apps posted:

The picture looks overexposed as hell too. I sincerely doubt it's actually that bright.

ed: oops you're talking to the other guy.

It doesn't look overexposed at all... It actually looks like a really well done composite from what I can see.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

CubanRefugee posted:

It doesn't look overexposed at all... It actually looks like a really well done composite from what I can see.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why he thinks any of that is over exposed.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

woot fatigue posted:

You have me beat.

What you don't see is the ps3, kanex xd, and workstation behind the desk. The iMac makes a really good display for Gran Turismo 5. Only issue is the desk mounts the wheel too high off the ground so I feel like I am driving a bus.

This is how it looked before apple finally shipped the new iMac and display this week. I am still waiting for another cinema display and VESA adapters, but I made the mistake of ordering it at 11pm on new years eve. I still have not found a use for the two old 24" displays and the old iMac. Perhaps I need a bigger desk.

Click here for the full 800x598 image.

tehk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 5, 2011

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

tehk posted:

I know this is the Post your desktop thread but I'm curious...What shoes are those?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Cizzo posted:

I know this is the Post your desktop thread but I'm curious...What shoes are those?

Faderrs by Steve Madden. I have them in 3 colors(white, black, tan). Awesome shoes.

edit VVV: drat you. Now I got the new desk bug. I just need more room and cable management.

tehk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 8, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tehk posted:

You have me beat.

What you don't see is the ps3, kanex xd, and workstation behind the desk. The iMac makes a really good display for Gran Turismo 5. Only issue is the desk mounts the wheel too high off the ground so I feel like I am driving a bus.

This is how it looked before apple finally shipped the new iMac and display this week. I am still waiting for another cinema display and VESA adapters, but I made the mistake of ordering it at 11pm on new years eve. I still have not found a use for the two old 24" displays and the old iMac. Perhaps I need a bigger desk.

Click here for the full 800x598 image.

Thats some pretty serious kit! What is suprising to me is that with all that gear, you've got it stuck on an old staples particle board desk! We have those at work and everyone hates them. Your stuff deserves something nicer!

Here is my most recent picture of my setup, i'll update it soon as i've added a few things:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

greasyhands posted:

You missed the mac mini.

It's not a Mini, it's a Time Machine.