Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Working through Oz now. I saw it during it's first run on HBO, but not in it's entirety, and I feel like we have to pay it homage for all the great actors it gave us. I'm not saying Oz was the first thing some of these guys have done, but it's the first thing I've seen them in, and that goes a long way.
I'm only on Season 1 now, but the episode where Jefferson Keen gets executed and McManus fucks the Hack during? You know the one? They completely ruin the tone of the episode by introducing a mass serial killer in the last 15 minutes and executing him the next day, ruining any emotional residue about the death penalty.

I'd be lying if I said Schillinger/J.K. Simmons isn't the most magnificent bastard on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Dropping The Shield

You should keep going. That was an irksome scene but nothing like that happens again and it'd be a shame to miss out on the rest of the show because of that one scene. The last time I marathon re-watched The Shield I fast forwarded through a few of the Dutch centric long interrogation scenes. A lot of people love Dutch but I personally don't give a poo poo about the character. I'm all about the greatness that is Vic Mackey and his various machinations. And as far as the investigation side goes I like Claudette better anyway.

Anyway, cross posting from the Whedon thread, I recently burned through Buffy again. I haven't watched it since the show ended back in 2003 so it was kind of an event. I hadn't realized that it had been so many years and it was interesting to see how it held up. Spike was easily the most interesting character on the show and season 5 was still my favorite. The ending of the show left me with the same urge to see what happens next so I tried the Buffy Season 8 comics but I just couldn't get into them because of the comic book medium. So I was left wondering if the show will ever come back. But of course that kind of thing is so rare I can't imagine it happening here.

So there was no real catharsis, just the realization that a lot more time had passed than I'd thought.

I guess I might give Angel a re-watch next. I remember liking it, not as much as Buffy, but well enough. Especially the later seasons and of course it had a great finale.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

At the moment, I seem to be going through Lie to Me. This is your standard proceedural thing but Tim Roth makes this such a jot to watch. He is basically the reason I want to watch another episode. It seems to be him dicking about for an hour and that to me is pretty awesome.

I'm currently near the end of season 2. Due to ratings, I dont know how much longer it will last, but here is hoping.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Breaking Bad: Just finished Season 2. I'm guessing there was a bit of strife in the thread concerning that last scene.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Tsietisin posted:

At the moment, I seem to be going through Lie to Me. This is your standard proceedural thing but Tim Roth makes this such a jot to watch. He is basically the reason I want to watch another episode. It seems to be him dicking about for an hour and that to me is pretty awesome.

I've watched this from time to time for this exact same reason. Tim Roth is so above this stuff that it's hard to stomach, though. It's like Gary Oldman being given a police procedural. Part of me enjoys it for the Tim Roth the other part is annoyed that everything else is so mediocre. I'm still in love with that chick from The Practice, though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lycus posted:

Breaking Bad: Just finished Season 2. I'm guessing there was a bit of strife in the thread concerning that last scene.

I think someone guessed that was going to happen, posted it on the thread, and when it actually happened the impact was ruined for everyone.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Weatherproof posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for decent comedies I haven't seen? I've seen, and liked, the following:

How about

Becker (Ted Danson)
Fawlty Towers (UK classic starring John Cleese)
Frasier

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I think someone guessed that was going to happen, posted it on the thread, and when it actually happened the impact was ruined for everyone.

Yeah, there's some obtuse clues in the episode titles that someone decoded very shortly before th final episode aired. Didn't seem to make people less confused & annoyed though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Noxville posted:

Yeah, there's some obtuse clues in the episode titles that someone decoded very shortly before th final episode aired. Didn't seem to make people less confused & annoyed though.
For my part, I'll say that I didn't feel quite the level of the tension from it that I felt at the end of Season 1. And while I'm enjoying the show as a whole immensely, I'd say I liked the first half or so of Season 2 more than the latter part. Also, I'm not feeling the Skyler-hate, so I guess I know which camp I'm in there.

Anyway, I got Season 3 now, so maybe I'll start watching later tonight.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
When Dutch killed the cat in The Shield it marked the first sign of a series of minor failures on the part of the writers that, while I watched the entire series, left me wondering why people held it in such high esteem. I can't find any argument that seems logical that defneds his actions, a professional trained to deal with the type of guy he was in that episode, years and years of experience and a strong desire to catch them and put them away...

... swayed to not only break the law, kill a helpless animal just for the sake of killing, something he could technically lose his entire career for, get himself put on a list of potential serial killers... etc was blatantly [i]screaming that the writers were grasping at straws for whatever they could find to be 'edgy' and 'deep'.

I lose interest whenever writers break the cardinal rule... making characters do things they wouldn't just to serve the writers whims. This is also the reason I found [spoiler]the end to the series to be incredibly disappointing and fabricated/spoiler]

But, that is just my opinion, nothing more.

Also... Sons of Anarchy

Whatever you feel about anything else that happens in the series, watch it through to the end. I honestly believe the scene at the end of S3 is one of the best I've seen in a long long time, maybe one of the best acted and conducted ever. You know what scene I'm talking about. 'Put your hands on the...'

Nothing, however, matches Deadwood. I've watched Deadwood and The Wire episode by episode almost three times now, and they just get better and better. Deadwood is required viewing and if you haven't seen it then drop what you are doing. It's probably the closest thing we have to Shakespeare .

And no other series about Roman history will ever come close to Rome.

But now I need something new... any suggestions?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mr.Graves posted:

But now I need something new... any suggestions?

I'm a big serial drama fan and all of the shows you mentioned are some of my favorites so I can probably give you a good list of recommendations that match up with what you've got there. A bit of self-quoting from earlier in the thread...

Carnivāle: I love, LOVE this show. It has a special place in my heart as being one of the coolest, weirdest shows I've ever seen. Great writing, great cast. Michael J. Anderson steals the show. Just watch the opening credits and the initial monologue from episode one.

Spartacus: Blood & Sand: Easily the best and most underrated show of 2010. Great fights, greater characters, and some of the greatest Roman backstabbing and palace intrigue. Make sure you watch to at least episode 5.

True Blood: A pretty decent serial drama. It takes a while to get going and the second season is better (though it drags in places as well). It's not quite in league with the stuff you mentioned but it's several grades above the typical dreck on television and worth watching.

Honorable Mentions: Sleeper Cell, The Riches, The Tudors, Prison Break, Friday Night Lights, Big Love, and Damages.

Other good stuff you've probably already seen: Lost, 24, The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing.

From the "lighter" comedy-drama serial category you should check out Weeds, Entourage, How to make it in America, and Californication. They're all 30 minutes long as opposed to the usual hour so they go REALLY quick but they still suck you into their stories so they're great for multiple episode binges.

Should be something there you can get into.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2010

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Lycus posted:

As someone who marathoned season 2 without any thread to look at, i didnt put 2 + 2 together at all so i was all "holy poo poo!?" and partly "what the hell is going to happen now?"

-Blackadder- posted:

True Blood: A pretty decent serial drama. It takes a while to get going and the second season is better (though it drags in places as well). It's not quite in league with the stuff you mentioned but it's several grades above the typical dreck on television and worth watching.

The thing with true blood is to go into it knowing the acting is bad, but treat it as an amazingly trashy comedy/drama with a lot of WTF moments in it and extremely loveable/hateable charachters, it seems that the people who make it really know how to please their audience (Dennis o' hare given more and more screen-time as the 3rd season progresses) plus, Lafayette's pizazz

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 27, 2010

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

During Winter break I've been burning pretty madly through Dollhouse. It's not a spectacular show by any stretch, but I enjoy it as a time waster. The first season was pretty ho-hum but season two has picked up quite a bit, exploring more of the ethics and politics within the company. Also, just watched the episode where they go to the DC house and Topher geeking out with himself over the phone about how awesome Bennett is was loving phenomenal.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I blew through The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost, Oz, the first season of the shield and now the first two seasons of Misfits, Any Recommendations?

I liked everything but The shield, and I didnt really like Oz.

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 27, 2010

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Just finished the first few episodes of Misfits. I'm definitely enjoying it more than I enjoyed Heroes. Thanks for the recommendations everyones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I finally finished Lost since they put it back on Netflix Instant. As much fun as the series was that was a terrible, anti-climactic finale. I don't mind not getting all the answers; it's more that the resolutions to the story arcs they were running with weren't satisfying. And it bothered me that they drop an explanation for something that wasn't necessary to explain in the last fifteen minutes that is completely inconsistent (thematically, structurally, and logically) with what had been occurring in the current story arc.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just finished Spartacus, drat that poo poo was good. Is there going to be another season following the whole slave war thing or was this just a one shot deal?

quote:

-Blackadder- posted:

I've watched this from time to time for this exact same reason. Tim Roth is so above this stuff that it's hard to stomach, though. It's like Gary Oldman being given a police procedural. Part of me enjoys it for the Tim Roth the other part is annoyed that everything else is so mediocre. I'm still in love with that chick from The Practice, though.
:hfive: Sup, Practice buddies. Watching season 2 now, Roth is great but god drat he overdoes the frenetic hand gesture thing, it seems like the government types he's always interacting with would want him drug tested.
And Kelli Williams never did much for me on the Practice, but holy gently caress does she ever as Doc Foster.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Kekekela posted:

Just finished Spartacus, drat that poo poo was good. Is there going to be another season following the whole slave war thing or was this just a one shot deal?

The main guy has cancer and has to deal with that but there is a prequel show coming out which looks promising and retains most of the cast. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372676

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The main guy has cancer and has to deal with that but there is a prequel show coming out which looks promising and retains most of the cast. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372676

Aw man, that's too bad about Spartacus having cancer :smith: , glad to hear there's going to be another show though.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Watched the first season of Breaking Bad in a day. Goddamn, this show is good.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just started The Wire yesterday. Seems pretty awesome so far. Sucks that I'm going to have to restrain myself and only watch an episode or two a day, since my netflix account is set to only 2 discs at a time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dramatika posted:

I just started The Wire yesterday. Seems pretty awesome so far. Sucks that I'm going to have to restrain myself and only watch an episode or two a day, since my netflix account is set to only 2 discs at a time.

You'll appreciate this before you're done with the series, The Wire is so fantastic that the more prolonged your experience of watching it is, the more time you'll have to savor its greatness.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched The Wire 3 times. The first time I poop socked through everything in less than a month. Then I watched it again over a longer time and then again. Every time I saw things that I didn't notice before and it made me appreciate the show even more. What I'm saying is that the box set is worth purchasing.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, I just got to watch the third episode last night, have discs two and three on the way through netflix. Really considering getting the complete series boxset.

Honestly, does the show jump the shark at some point? If it doesn't I think I'm going to do the unthinkable and order the boxset based off of three episodes.

I just saw the scene where they introduce Omar and then the episode ended and I was so pissed off that I didn't have the next disk :argh:

e; gently caress it, just ordered the complete series boxset from amazon, overnight shipping :hellyeah:

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 28, 2010

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Dramatika posted:

e; gently caress it, just ordered the complete series boxset from amazon, overnight shipping :hellyeah:

You will seriously not regret it. It is one spectacular piece of television that you'll probably want to go back through once you have the big picture in your head and watch again how all the little pieces fit into it.

So over Christmas I whipped out my old VHS player to watch family movies with my mom and I found all my old tapes of The Wonder Years and am quickly making my way through it. I think I taped just about every episode (maybe missing some here or there) and watching these makes me so nostalgic.

This show seriously got everything right about what it's like being a kid. It doesn't matter what era it took place in, the themes are just so universal and it makes me remember things that I had forgotten like this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxM6QKIZtg

It just hits all the right notes for me.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Just finished working my way through Journeyman over the last week or so.

Such a shame it got cancelled just as it was opening up so many possible avenues for the storyline to go down.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
Finally finished Charmed.
Seasons 1-3 are pure garbage and most of the hate comes from that.
Seasons 4-5 are fantastic and the best of the series.
Season 6 is pretty good.
The first half of season 7 is excellent, the second half is ok.
Season 8 is hit and miss, and the series finale is confusing and lame.

Pielid
Aug 13, 2009

Hey I just finished a Philosophy 101 class here I'll tell you all about it!
I've been watching whatever episodes of MST3K show up on Netflix, but I'm usually doing something while watching, i.e. minecraft, browsing, or sleeping. But the show is pretty funny regardless and it is good background noise.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dramatika posted:

Honestly, does the show jump the shark at some point?

Kind of? In season 5 one of the major plot points is somewhat out there, and it doesn't feel like the sideplot gets the same amount of attention as in the others seasons (due to fewer episodes). It is generally regarded as the worst season, though it should not dissuade anyone from watching the show, as even at its its worst, The Wire is still incredible.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Kind of? In season 5 one of the major plot points is somewhat out there, and it doesn't feel like the sideplot gets the same amount of attention as in the others seasons (due to fewer episodes). It is generally regarded as the worst season, though it should not dissuade anyone from watching the show, as even at its its worst, The Wire is still incredible.

I would kind of agree with this, the only time where things started to feel a little worn down was in the fifth season, and I think the plotline you're talking about is definitely a part of it, as well as the fact that I felt like the writers were unable to properly develop the characters at the Sun due to having so many other plotlines that were also going simultaneously. But then, saying that it's "the worst season of The Wire" is like saying Titus Andronicus is the worst play Shakespeare ever wrote. Not to get hyperbolic or anything!

Honestly though, I think this is mitigated somewhat by season 4 being (in my opinion) both the best and most important season of television ever produced. That season is so fantastic that it still blows my mind, it really gets to the issues that are at the heart of the show, and sort of draws the whole tapestry together and puts everything in perspective. It's also absolutely heartbreaking, but that comes with the territory.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have been going through all the previous seasons of Big Bang Theory, holy poo poo how did I never watch this show until now???

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
How is Southland?

I'm a big fan of cop shows, having seen The Wire and The Shield. I've heard great things about Southland but want to hear your opinions before I dive in.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Wire.

So far, they both live up the gigantic goon hype.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Misfits is damned good.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Porkchop Express posted:

I have been going through all the previous seasons of Big Bang Theory, holy poo poo how did I never watch this show until now???

Seriously? I can't stand that poo poo. It's so stupidly unfunny with an annoying laugh track.. I'd even rather watch two and a half men.

That said, I finished watching Curb Your Enthusiasm to season 8 and holy crap that is how you do a comedy. Larry David is a comedy genius.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

annoying laugh track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8r3tHUK6v4

I tried watching Big Bang Theory. :laffo:

They couldn't go more than 5 seconds without using the laugh track. :laffo:

I didn't like that. :laffo::roflolmao::laffo:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I just finished a 4-month long binge of Law & Order SVU, House, and the West Wing. Now I've started a cooking show binge: Kitchen Nightmares, Iron Chef (and Iron Chef America), Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and the like.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Being stuck at my parents for the holiday and seeing that all but season 8 of 24 is on Netflix instant view, I've been watching season 1 since I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

Great great stuff that I had forgotten about, and even though I knew about this GOD DAMNIT WHY IS KIM SO loving STUPID. I HATE IT SO MUCH. I thought maybe she ended up an annoying idiot but might have started out ok but nope, she's the most retarded kid in the history of children. AHHHHHHH I HATE YOU KIM BAUER

Season 1 is loving awesome though.

I haven't been sleeping much since I found this, and I doubt that'll change. I don't remember much from seasons 1-4, so they're all ripe for watching. Man I miss this show.

Season 1 is great because its not like the later seasons with stuff.. TWIST AT END OF hour... more stuff... AND ANOTHER SHOCKING TWIST. It's actually pretty well paced and there are only a few stupid things like the car falling off the cliff leading to Terri getting amnesia (where I am right now) but other than that and maybe a few moments, its some great stuff.

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 29, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Tailored Sauce posted:

How is Southland?

I'm a big fan of cop shows, having seen The Wire and The Shield. I've heard great things about Southland but want to hear your opinions before I dive in.

Dive in now. It's frustratingly short, but that's about the only fault I can find with it. I'd put it on par with The Shield (minus a few explosions) or early Homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Moral Orel- One of the most genuinely funny looks at religion done by a tv show. You can go through the seasons pretty quick since they are only 11 minutes an episode.