Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Merauder posted:

This poo poo is :monocle:
Interactive Tron Skate Ramp

Technology is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
50 years into the future: No mom I! god! I can't go skate my min ramp remember? Like 1/3 of the interactive displays are out...jeez, it's so lame.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Things like that are pretty common in malls and stuff. Basically just interactive projectors.

Sewer Cartographer
Aug 23, 2003
i like to watch.....stuff
Bailing into an explosion of fireworks just looks drat cool.

Hopefully the explosions get bigger the harder the slam is.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Local shop finally got in the decks I designed

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Golem II posted:

Local shop finally got in the decks I designed

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I really like this, do you have a wallpaper version of it by chance?

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009
The people hating on forrest are retarded. He's good at what he does. I enjoyed watching him kill that double set much more than the other dudes doing mediocre transition poo poo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Babysnakes! posted:

The people hating on forrest are retarded. He's good at what he does. I enjoyed watching him kill that double set much more than the other dudes doing mediocre transition poo poo.
He's not good enough at what he does to get away with being that much of a loving rear end in a top hat though. He went on a rant to the camera about how Reuben says thank you when he gets complimented.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Babysnakes! posted:

I'll admit that I'm old and that probably has some bearing of my opinion on Forrest and my lack of respect for throwing bangers down stair sets. It's just not that fun for me if that's all someone has got. In my opinion you don't need to be hanging with pros if you are going to have a retarded opinion about skating transition. Also he is a jerk and jerk skateboarders are no fun and in my opinion is kind of the antithesis of it all. He may be a good skateboarder but he doesn't get what many seem to agree skateboarding as a life style is about. I dont fault him for that, i just think he is not what they mean to promote in a contest of this nature.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So my normal skate friend picked up smoking pot and all of a sudden doesn't have time for skating any more. I know, right?

Time to hang around Lee & Joe Jamail like an old-timer and make some new carving friends who either also can't drop in or who can teach me. Thankfully, Houston's best skatepark is very forgiving for lame rollers-in.

It's only closed Christmas day and New Year's, and for once Houston's 70 degree winter is a good thing! See y'all out there!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

So my normal skate friend picked up smoking pot and all of a sudden doesn't have time for skating any more. I know, right?

I know a lot of skaters who have time to do both so this legitimately confuses me.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Look at this loving picture!

Click here for the full 803x1213 image.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Hurm. posted:

Woah! Having just watched Inception again, I can see that road folding up. :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I see someone who wants to know what eating through a straw is like.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Wezlar posted:

I know a lot of skaters who have time to do both so this legitimately confuses me.

Its easy, just do them both at once (but only in safe amounts!)

Got my custom DH/SGS/GS/carving/freeride board in last week, and got my new Surf Rodz INDeeSZ. Waiting on my 10mm bearings (should arrive tomorrow) and some fresh bushings then she'll be all set up. Gonna snag some fresh wheels soon, need to find a good mix between grip and freeridey slip

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Whalley posted:

He's not good enough at what he does to get away with being that much of a loving rear end in a top hat though. He went on a rant to the camera about how Reuben says thank you when he gets complimented.

Being an rear end in a top hat won't get you far in life no matter what you're doing. His abilities may be getting him by for now, but he'll hit a wall eventually and will be forced to learn some humility if he wants to skate for a living. If you're a smug rear end in a top hat to your sponsors and fans you won't last long in this sport.

[edit] BTW northern skaters eat you heart out, 70 degrees here in FL, just took a ride to the store to grab some milk :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 28, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Hurm. posted:

Read the Pastras interview on the chrome ball incident!

http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2010/11/chrome-ball-interview-17-chris-pastras.html

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

leica posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat won't get you far in life no matter what you're doing. His abilities may be getting him by for now, but he'll hit a wall eventually and will be forced to learn some humility if he wants to skate for a living. If you're a smug rear end in a top hat to your sponsors and fans you won't last long in this sport.
I loved in episode 10 when Forrest was asked who the MVP of the day was and said the cameraman for getting a good shot of him grinding a handrail. None of the three "judges" seemed to take that too well.

And I wish Louie Barletta had been more involved in episode 11. He's one of my favorite pros and I was loving hype to see him.

quote:

[edit] BTW northern skaters eat you heart out, 70 degrees here in FL, just took a ride to the store to grab some milk :)
gently caress you there's snow everywhere and I'm only in NC :( (hellyeah this is my first year in America and it doesn't snow in Australia this poo poo is so awesome)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's been raining for so many days in a row now... I'm about to start going to the indoor park on weekends.

Something about paying to skate rubs me the wrong way, though.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
So after 2 years of having my board lean against my wall I decided to go outside and do something.

I've been on my board the day I got it, but aside from that I didn't do much. So I'm basically relearning how to stand on it without falling. Which is as far as I got 2 years ago.

I put that board down on my driveway and put on foot on it and it was shooting every which way. I got freaked out so it took me about 15 mins to actually stand on the board. Then another 15 to stand on it with out eating poo poo. THEN 30 mins to push straight without falling.

By the end of 2 hours of almost tripping and going no where I was coasting down the road for about 50 feet at a time till I have to stop. Those 50 feet of just being on the board was pretty fun I gotta admit.

How long did it take everyone to finally get "skating" down? forget tricks. I just wanna get a burger then hit the beach and play with some dogs :smugdog:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It depends on how intense you make your learning! I bought my first board second hand from a friend across the city and I was determined to ride it home. Combined with having a heavy backpack and dealing with downtown city traffic I picked it up in a loving hurry...

These days I'm trying to grow the balls to throw myself down a hill riding switch. Since the necessity isn't there I kind of don't practice it and have been telling myself I can learn to ride switch for like a year now.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I was lucky as a kid to have a skateboard around before I could even really know what it was, so I don't remember personally how long it took to get comfortable.

I've got a couple guys at my work to start skating over the last year or so and some of them had never been on a board before.

Start with tic-tacs on your carpet. Get comfortable enough to do full 180's, which shouldn't really take long. You can even take off your trucks to make it a little easier and then step it up from there.

Then move to the concrete and do tic-tacs to move around, then take it to your driveway or a hill and roll around.

From that you'll be pushing in no time, when you gently caress up your tic-tacs you'll take your foot off the board to balance yourself. Eventually you'll start using that foot to push a bit and get some speed built up.

Get ready for some sore rear end legs, takes a lot of practice dude.

Oh, and watch a loving lot of videos and study what they're doing with their feet (if you're not skating with other people). Building up bad habits now will make learning even more frustrating.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I watch skaters all the time. I see one every day here in southern california. I see people skating every which way, but they're skating. That's more then I can say I've done.

I see lots and lots of people push mongo. That's the way they got thought so they're great at it. Pushin over cracks and up hills with out falling on their face.

I'll have to remember to try tic-tacs. 2 years ago I could do a 180 on the board even a 360 with out falling. I have no idea how I manged to do that. I saw some kid doing tornado spins on a board it was nuts. So I tried it myself. Got dizzy quick. I'll be sure to try and do that again when I feel ok on my board.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Heads up to anyone in Australia: https://www.boardshop.com.au is having post Christmas sales, with some pretty loving good prices. When I was still in the country, I'd buy from them a bunch because they had loving cheap wheels with free, super fast shipping.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Brandon Westgate's put together a new part for the launch of his new shoe. Jesus Christ he goes fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bMVNvoL7c

:aaa: that kickflip..

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Tenterhooks posted:

gently caress.

Me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ahahah christ it just rolls through the air like magic.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

Tenterhooks posted:

Brandon Westgate's put together a new part for the launch of his new shoe. Jesus Christ he goes fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bMVNvoL7c

This guy knows what's up, hubba wheels are awesome, I love 'em.
Couldn't stop staring at...
Definitely gonna get a set of...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hurm. posted:

So you watched a video of a guy totally destroying SF and the only thing you gleaned was "Those are nice wheels."?

It's been raining like hell in Seattle (and all of PacNW) lately so I've been dropping cash on the indoor place in Fremont when I have time. Place smells like sweat and pot. On the weekends it's like a middle school make-out party.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Weather for Santa Ana, Ca

Sun - 77°F | °C

Mon - 79°F | 55°F

Tue - 81°F | 52°F

Wed - 76°F | 49°F

:11tea: Heading outside, riiiiight now.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

Bucket Joneses posted:

So you watched a video of a guy totally destroying SF and the only thing you gleaned was "Those are nice wheels."?

v:shobon:v I love fresh wheels. But no, that's not the only thing...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

donJonSwan posted:

Weather for Santa Ana, Ca

Sun - 77°F | °C

Mon - 79°F | 55°F

Tue - 81°F | 52°F

Wed - 76°F | 49°F

:11tea: Heading outside, riiiiight now.

I just got back from skating at the local outdoor cement park in Western North Carolina. I took two shovels and a broom to clear the snow. It's broken 40° two days in a row. I saw the sun today :smith:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I know not everyone lives in or near a major city, but if you can find an underground parking garage without security you've got yourself a private skate park. We've been hitting one downtown at night the last few weeks in the middle of all these blizzards and it's been fantastic. The place is heated too!

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Did you guys see this from a few years back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYTEJ0JE8M

STOKIN.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone have a spare set of Indy 149's kicking around they want to get rid of for cheap?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Wow this guy goes BIG.

Reminds me of the way Hosoi skated vert.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hurm. posted:

Did you guys see this from a few years back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYTEJ0JE8M

STOKIN.

I hope nobody ever teaches Danny Gonzalez a physics lesson because I worry how badly gravity will punish him when it finds out what he's been doing :ohdear:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whalley posted:

I hope nobody ever teaches Danny Gonzalez a physics lesson because I worry how badly gravity will punish him when it finds out what he's been doing :ohdear:

He's sort of like a cartoon character in that regard. As long as he doesn't realize that he's not supposed to be doing those things the world will continue to let it happen.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Hurm. posted:

mmmm colours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

http://www.slapmagazine.com/articles/full/episode-15-one-in-a-million

One in a Million is up to episode 16, and people have been sent home Ruben, Forrest and John are the ones who are left. 15 here though is the best; everybody bar Forrest was absolutely killing it at the opening session and everyone is having a great time. Except Forrest, who apparently hates dogs and refuses to have fun at a legit fun looking spot because he didn't want to have fun. gently caress Forrest.

e: Everyone hates Forrest though :woop: "The truth? Forrest? That dude's a prick."

Wungus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 19, 2011