Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I am looking for a babbys first 4x or space rts that will let me blow spaceships up without a bachelors in microeconomics.

Not looking for cockpit level control of individual ships, I am horrible at dog fighting type stuff. Homeworld controls or even EvE online type would be fine.

I don't mind doing light economic stuff, i just don't want to spend a lot of game time having to setup trade routes or anything that takes focus off blowing spaceships up.

I should be able to setup a custom game and blow up spaceships for an hour if i want to, or more. If the game takes 12 hours to get to the blowing up spaceships part, I probably won't be interested.

Things I have tried, these aren't ruled out, I am just not convinced.

A.I war demo - seems fun and I picked it up due to the steam sale, but much more involved than what I am looking for. Also combat happens too quick.

Star Ruler demo - the UI just feels off on this. The game itself might have the scalability I am looking for.

Sword of the stars complete - I've done a few of the tutorial videos, seems more in depth than what I want.

Gratuitous Space Battles - This just kinda threw me into the ship design with no instructions, kind of daunting. Also from what I hear its more of a "plan a fight then watch it play out" type of game.

I also have the Sins of a Solar Empire demo to try out still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sword of the Stars is an extremely simplified 4x game, if that's too in-depth for you, then you should just abandon the 4x genre. I don't think there are any good space 4x games that are simpler.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You might want to look outside the 4X genre heavyweights. Oasis is to a 4X what Desktop Dungeons is to Nethack. It looks nothing like a 4X, but you still have to manage research, population, assemble a military force, and uncover a map. It's the basics of 4X distilled into 5 minute segments, and has never gotten half the attention it deserves. I've routinely found Oasis as low as $5 at brick and mortar stores, and I have no idea why it isn't on Steam.

Haven't played it, because Shrapnel can't seem to understand how to price their products to non-grognards, but Bronze looks pretty good as well. Free demo, a jaw-dropping $30 for the full game.

The above are not set in space, obviously, but the Planetfall mod for Civ IV is. Comes stock with Civ4 Complete.

Too complex? Just play Pax Britannica: a one-button spaceship RTS battler.

e: Pax B is set underwater.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Category Fun! posted:

They've got New Vegas on PC for £9.98 which is a loving steal (If you have a PC that can run it). You could also get Split/Second or Vanquish for £12, although I can't comment on how good or bad they were.

MMAgCh posted:

Split/Second is pretty fun and fairly unique as far as racers go, although chances are you'll get considerably more overall playtime out of Fallout: NV.

Trying to hold off on new vegas till GotY, already had split/second (pretty fun but the campaign is a bit badly paced) and I've heard Vanquish is short so I'll be renting that. Any other ideas?

Halation
Mar 30, 2010

Can anyone recommend some of the best PSP RPGs? To be a bit more specific, I'm also looking for fairly challenging gameplay, interesting visuals, and decent writing.

I just got off a Nocturne/Strange Journey marathon and I could use a nice break from all those loving turn-based battles. So I guess SRPG/action would be preferred.

Halation fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Halation posted:

Can anyone recommend some of the best PSP RPGs? To be a bit more specific, I'm also looking for fairly challenging gameplay, interesting visuals, and decent writing.

Persona 3 Portable. The visuals can be lackluster, but they were sacrificed in order to put the 90 loving hour epic RPG onto the PSP, complete with a second new playable character. Great writing, good voice acting, challenging gameplay for RPG standards (although still easier than the other persona versions), and is probably the best RPG on the system.

edit: fuuu- Although I guess that means you're familiar with the SMT formula. Persona 3 Portable wont be as hard as Nocturne.

If you want fun and challenging action RPG gameplay, get Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It's really hard, tactical, and fun. Not much in the way of a plot or writing, but it looks nice for a PSP game.

second edit: Oh, and keep your eye on the upcoming Tactics Ogre remake, it looks like it will be excellent. It's a challenging SRPG with a great plot full of political intrigue.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What's a great space 4X game that's around as complex as Civilization 4? Is Galactic Civilizations II okay?

Halation
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Persona 3 Portable. The visuals can be lackluster, but they were sacrificed in order to put the 90 loving hour epic RPG onto the PSP, complete with a second new playable character. Great writing, good voice acting, challenging gameplay for RPG standards (although still easier than the other persona versions), and is probably the best RPG on the system.

edit: fuuu- Although I guess that means you're familiar with the SMT formula. Persona 3 Portable wont be as hard as Nocturne.

I should have mentioned knowing how popular it is here... I have P3P, it's great, and I've been working on a Maniac run for a while. Thanks for the other suggestions though!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

What's a great space 4X game that's around as complex as Civilization 4? Is Galactic Civilizations II okay?

"okay" is a good way to describe it. Lots of people love it, I get bored by it for some reason. I'd say it's about on the same level as Civ 4 is, maybe a bit more complex but not much so at all. The rock-paper-scissors combat rubs me the wrong way, and its tech tree is really boring, I think those are the two main things I don't like about it. I do like its diplomacy system, though, and a lot of people really praise the AI but I never played enough to challenge it.

You could try going back and playing Master of Orion 2. It's also about equal with Civ in its complexity. Most head scratching thing about it is its ship building system, it sometimes isn't intuitive to figure out what's best for a good ship. But the game has lots of great personality, varied races, and good combat. It's probably still my favorite space 4x to this day. The best part is that you can get it at good old games for super cheap. It's just $4.19 and comes with the first game! First game is worth playing for some perspective on how the series and the entire genre evolved, but 2 is the game to play for reals.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

^^^ This guy is right on all counts. If the 4X genre's a bit of a ghost town, space-based TBS 4X's are moreso. MoO2 would also be my first choice, and GalCiv does mostly everything right, but has an oddly clinical feel.

I'd also add Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (it's futuristic and planetary, and the AI isn't too bright, but it's quite good), and possibly the Civ 4 Planetfall mod in a 4X emergency.

Blank Stare
Sep 25, 2008
May I suggest a web based search for a game called Don't poo poo Your Pants. It is a self described survival horror game where the protagonist aims not to do the thing that is mentioned in the title.

Not sure how I stumbled across this one, but I had just finished playing Fallout 3. Sorry for my poor English.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Luminaflare posted:

Trying to hold off on new vegas till GotY, already had split/second (pretty fun but the campaign is a bit badly paced) and I've heard Vanquish is short so I'll be renting that. Any other ideas?

Vanquish is only short in the way Bayonetta is short. If you play through the five-hour campaign once on Normal and leave it at that you're doing it wrong.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Frankosity posted:

Vanquish is only short in the way Bayonetta is short. If you play through the five-hour campaign once on Normal and leave it at that you're doing it wrong.

Admittedly I don't know much about vanquish other than jet powered slide and the demo boss becoming a bipedal mech is totally bad rear end and unexpected. But the only incentive for replay seems to be score/time attack? I don't like that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You could try going back and playing Master of Orion 2. It's also about equal with Civ in its complexity. Most head scratching thing about it is its ship building system, it sometimes isn't intuitive to figure out what's best for a good ship. But the game has lots of great personality, varied races, and good combat. It's probably still my favorite space 4x to this day. The best part is that you can get it at good old games for super cheap. It's just $4.19 and comes with the first game! First game is worth playing for some perspective on how the series and the entire genre evolved, but 2 is the game to play for reals.
Turns out I have a boxed copy of Master of Orion 2, but I may still get it from good old games so I don't have to set it up in dosbox or whatever. Any chance of being able to play it over a lan?

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

melon cat posted:

I need a girlfriend-friendly PS3 game!

We've tried LBP, and the super-sensitive/wonky controls ruined our experience. Katamari was okay, but got old quite quickly. We've done Scott Pilgrim. Any other games that can be played with the girlfriend?

Kung-Fu Rider looks crazy-fun. It's a Move game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Turns out I have a boxed copy of Master of Orion 2, but I may still get it from good old games so I don't have to set it up in dosbox or whatever. Any chance of being able to play it over a lan?

Some! GOG comes with a preconfigured DOSBox, and with a shortcut to start the game in a mode that's conducive to a networked game. Haven't tried it myself.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

madpanda posted:

I am looking for a babbys first 4x or space rts that will let me blow spaceships up without a bachelors in microeconomics.

Not looking for cockpit level control of individual ships, I am horrible at dog fighting type stuff. Homeworld controls or even EvE online type would be fine.

I don't mind doing light economic stuff, i just don't want to spend a lot of game time having to setup trade routes or anything that takes focus off blowing spaceships up.

I should be able to setup a custom game and blow up spaceships for an hour if i want to, or more. If the game takes 12 hours to get to the blowing up spaceships part, I probably won't be interested.

Things I have tried, these aren't ruled out, I am just not convinced.

A.I war demo - seems fun and I picked it up due to the steam sale, but much more involved than what I am looking for. Also combat happens too quick.

Star Ruler demo - the UI just feels off on this. The game itself might have the scalability I am looking for.

Sword of the stars complete - I've done a few of the tutorial videos, seems more in depth than what I want.

Gratuitous Space Battles - This just kinda threw me into the ship design with no instructions, kind of daunting. Also from what I hear its more of a "plan a fight then watch it play out" type of game.

Ascendancy is a good 4x for beginners, if only because the AI is so notoriously bad that you can pretty much roll through them at your own pace. Only part of it that could be tricky if I recall correctly is that ships and such move in 3 dimensions.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Luminaflare posted:

Trying to hold off on new vegas till GotY

My feelings were exactly the same. 2 things changed this. Firstly my mother asked me to what presents I would like this year other than my main item (a weights bench) which I'm ordering in early January. Second I realised that despite owning the Fallout 3 GOTY I managed to enjoy myself without touching the DLC. Othern than a quick 2 hour blast on Mothership Zeta which is frankly a piece of poo poo.

So yeah. Mum got me F:NV for PC and I'm enjoying it so far. Story feels a little too conviently written in order to allow a sequel but hey.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm looking for a game with lots of dialogue options. Whether it's Commander Shepard yelling badass one liners at her adversaries or sitting in a virtual bar chatting with your companion in Fallout NV, I love feeling like I have control over the personality of my character. It doesn't have to be world changing, as long as the dialogue is enjoyable and there's some decent characterisation I'll probably like it.

I've played a few of the Bioware series, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and KotoR, as well as the Fallout games. JRPGs are fine, I just played through Persona 4 which I loved, and I started playing Persona 3 a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty sure I've covered the main ones but there's probably a few I missed. How are some of the older Bioware games when it comes to dialogue?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ever played The Witcher? Only one character to play, with some back-story attached, but lots of (world changing!) dialogue.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Law posted:

I'm looking for a game with lots of dialogue options. Whether it's Commander Shepard yelling badass one liners at her adversaries or sitting in a virtual bar chatting with your companion in Fallout NV, I love feeling like I have control over the personality of my character. It doesn't have to be world changing, as long as the dialogue is enjoyable and there's some decent characterisation I'll probably like it.

I've played a few of the Bioware series, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and KotoR, as well as the Fallout games. JRPGs are fine, I just played through Persona 4 which I loved, and I started playing Persona 3 a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty sure I've covered the main ones but there's probably a few I missed. How are some of the older Bioware games when it comes to dialogue?

The gameplay in Alpha Protocol is hit or miss, but the dialogue system is the best out there.

Ramagamma posted:

So yeah. Mum got me F:NV for PC and I'm enjoying it so far. Story feels a little too conviently written in order to allow a sequel but hey.

The DLC is actually settings up its own storyline that connects all the future DLCs together, rather than each one just being a standalone adventure. Think of New Vegas as the movie, and the DLC as the spinoff TV series. I doubt they'll do a direct sequel to NV what with the amount of endings and possible plot directions, but this approach to DLC is the next best thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

a medical mystery posted:

Ascendancy is a good 4x for beginners, if only because the AI is so notoriously bad that you can pretty much roll through them at your own pace. Only part of it that could be tricky if I recall correctly is that ships and such move in 3 dimensions.
This is a good recommendation. There's even been a patch to fix the AI somewhat if you do want more of a challenge out of it after all!

Plus some of the music is really catchy, and even the goddamn tech tree is in 3D. :v:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Category Fun! posted:

The DLC is actually settings up its own storyline that connects all the future DLCs together, rather than each one just being a standalone adventure. Think of New Vegas as the movie, and the DLC as the spinoff TV series. I doubt they'll do a direct sequel to NV what with the amount of endings and possible plot directions, but this approach to DLC is the next best thing.

This actually annoys me slightly more.

If I'd bought vanilla fallout 3. I'd happily complete the main quest, buy Broken Steel, read up on all the DLC, realise they were all a waste of time other than Broken Steel and then have the full Fallout 3 experience.

Looks like with NV I'll battle through the main campaign, quite enjoy myself and then be tied down into buying all the DLC to get the complete package.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

This actually annoys me slightly more.

If I'd bought vanilla fallout 3. I'd happily complete the main quest, buy Broken Steel, read up on all the DLC, realise they were all a waste of time other than Broken Steel and then have the full Fallout 3 experience.

Looks like with NV I'll battle through the main campaign, quite enjoy myself and then be tied down into buying all the DLC to get the complete package.

Do you realise the irony in "happily" buying Broken Steel for Fallout 3, but then getting annoyed at buying extra DLC with a separate storyline for New Vegas because you feel that without it you're not getting the "full package"?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Category Fun! posted:

Do you realise the irony in "happily" buying Broken Steel for Fallout 3, but then getting annoyed at buying extra DLC with a separate storyline for New Vegas because you feel that without it you're not getting the "full package"?

Nope I don't. Largely becuase I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 so was happy to plow straight into Broken Steel straight after finishing the vanilla campaign.

New Vegas on the other hand was a gift so if I want to continue the main campaign there I'll have to either download the DLC seperately. This I don't like doing becuase it means I didn't have the full package in my hands from day one. That or wait and buy the GOTY edition a year or so down the line which has the whole package in a box. This would be my preference.

Personally though I rarely find myself so infatuated with a game that I actually want more content.

Even if 10%-20% of that content is dour lovely content perfect for people who play individual games for too long screaming out "give me more give me more, satisfy my need for more lovely corridor shooter sections".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

Nope I don't. Largely becuase I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 so was happy to plow straight into Broken Steel straight after finishing the vanilla campaign.

New Vegas on the other hand was a gift so if I want to continue the main campaign there I'll have to either download the DLC seperately. This I don't like doing becuase it means I didn't have the full package in my hands from day one. That or wait and buy the GOTY edition a year or so down the line which has the whole package in a box. This would be my preference.

Personally though I rarely find myself so infatuated with a game that I actually want more content.

Even if 10%-20% of that content is dour lovely content perfect for people who play individual games for too long screaming out "give me more give me more, satisfy my need for more lovely corridor shooter sections".

But you aren't continuing the main campaign in the FONV DLC, you're starting a completely separate one, with a new character, aren't you? Am I understanding the DLC wrong?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

But you aren't continuing the main campaign in the FONV DLC, you're starting a completely separate one, with a new character, aren't you? Am I understanding the DLC wrong?

Oh right, my mistake. Thats less of a bother then. I can just pretend I've got the full package already.

I mean how much loving content for one game does a person need.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Ramagamma posted:

Oh right, my mistake. Thats less of a bother then. I can just pretend I've got the full package already.

You do have the full package (with multiple endings depending on your choices to boot!). The DLC is a fun little side quest. The next DLC will probably be another little side quest that builds off the last DLC (we hope).

To put it in perspective, I have over 70 hours played recorded on my Steam (possibly higher in actuality) and I have not beaten the game, yet. There is a lot of content before you even get to the DLCs.

Puppy
Jan 29, 2009

I do not belong here.
Looking for a good JRPG for the PSP that I can play during commutes. Games I've played and liked include pretty much every Final Fantasy game (including Crisis Core), Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Xenogears, Xenosaga III, .hack, and Chrono Trigger. Games that were a miss for me include Digital Devil Saga (cool setting but way too many random encounters), Persona 3 (cool concept but way too much dating sim and jpop), Suikoden III (got bored before the story ever picked up), and Eternal Sonata (another cool concept with weak execution).

I don't mind hard JRPGs, but I do like them to be generally friendly, non-obtuse, easy to get into, and briskly paced. Good soundtracks matter a lot too. I don't mind if the story is a little off the wall so long as it isn't intrusive and/or creepy.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

tyang209 posted:

Has anyone played any good economic/tycoon games recently? I'm itching to get into one but there is such a sea of crap in that genre. I've been playing tropico 3 but i'm looking for something more specific than city builder.

Quibb posted:

Have you played Jurassic Park Operation Genesis before? It isn't new, but I don't think it is that popular either, You build a dinosaur theme park\zoo. It has a lot of other elements that are very unique to tycoon games as well, you can build a safari track and I believe you can actually drive it. You can also fly a helicopter and knock out\ kill dinosaurs with a tranquilizer gun. Theres a whole bunch of missions as well involving stuff like that without tycoon elements, as well as a sandbox mode you can unlock where you can just breed a gently caress load of dinosaurs and watch them kill each other. It isn't on Steam, and I don't know of anywhere you can actually buy it digitally though.

JPOG isn't really a very in-depth tycoon game, it's more about the dinosaurs (which come to life spectacularly) and the gimmicky stuff like shooting out of helicopters and driving jeeps. It's sort of childish and the business aspect is really downplayed, there are some good modpacks out that make it somewhat better though. It's not available for digital download anywhere, if you REALLY want it I can send you my copy if you'll cover shipping. IMO it's not worth it, such a disappointment for someone hoping for the chance to run Jurassic Park as a business.

For recent tycoon games, Tropico 3 is about as good as it gets. I recommend picking up Absolute Power now as it's only $5 during the Steam winter sale, it doesn't add nearly enough to be worth full price. More like a content patch/DLC than a real expansion. Unfortunately that's the only good tycoon/business management game that's come out in the past few years, the genre is basically dead (and T3 is more of a city-builder anyway. You'd have better luck sticking with the classics, your Railroad Tycoons and Capitalism 2. 2002's Industry Giant 2 is underrated and $15 for the Gold Edition at GamersGate, you can run pretty much any kind of industrial enterprise imaginable and they get supply chain management almost right.

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

GalCiv II is fantastic and exactly what you're looking for. There's a reason it's called Galactic Civilizations: it's basically Civ in space with unit customization thrown in.

madpanda posted:

[...]

Go for Sins of a Solar Empire. It's a fantastic game and economic micromanagement is very limited, pretty much boiling down to buy all planetary upgrades as soon as you can afford them and build trade/refining stations in every sector. The controls are not complex and the interface is extremely intuitive. It also has great mini-expansions that add a lot to the game. You may want to buy the game for $20 and wait to see if you really like it before spending another $20 on the DLC bundle, though.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

You don't start a new character, but the storyline is separate from the main plot in NV (Although there are some characters mentioned in NV that show up or play important roles in the DLC).

Ramagamma posted:

I mean how much loving content for one game does a person need.

I could understand this argument if the content was bad, but if someone makes a massive game and then releases a bunch of worthwhile DLC I literally cannot comprehend how that's a bad thing unless you don't want to play it but feel like you have some obligation to get it.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 29, 2010

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Category Fun! posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how that's a bad thing unless you don't want to play it but feel like you have some obligation to get it.

Well that is part of the problem. I like to own the full package. This may sound asinine when I'm not going to use any of of the extra content, as was the case with Fallout 3 when I only really used Broken Steel and part of Motherzhip Zeta.

Its like DVD sets. I don't buy an individual series becuase if I like a show enough I want the whole package. Even if I don't particularly dig some episodes.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I like stat based Rpg's I mean really really hard classic style Rpg's. For some odd reason I love the site of those little numbers going up. I like games like Contact (ds), and Monster Rancher 1&2 (gba). Sorry if it's not a really definitive list, but I am having a hard time thinking of anything else I have enjoyed recently.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

tolerabletariff posted:

GalCiv II is fantastic and exactly what you're looking for. There's a reason it's called Galactic Civilizations: it's basically Civ in space with unit customization thrown in.
It's a pity it has no multiplayer. Not a dealbreaker though.

I'll give Sins of a Solar Empire a try as well.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an open-world RTS game out there somewhere? I was playing Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3, and I always thought it would be cool to keep the epic base I just built and keep playing with it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Does the DS have any games that are similar to Shadowgate/Deja Vu from the NES?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dms666 posted:

Does the DS have any games that are similar to Shadowgate/Deja Vu from the NES?

Closest to Deja Vu is probably something like Hotel Dusk, a really good adventure game.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Jimson posted:

I like stat based Rpg's I mean really really hard classic style Rpg's. For some odd reason I love the site of those little numbers going up. I like games like Contact (ds), and Monster Rancher 1&2 (gba). Sorry if it's not a really definitive list, but I am having a hard time thinking of anything else I have enjoyed recently.

If you like little numbers going up then give the Disgaea series a shot - you can increase the level of practically everything in the game (items, characters, equipment etc.) and the maxinum level a character can reach is 9999. That is not a typo. If you want brutally hard RPGs then try the Etrian Odyssey games. You basically control a 5-man party as they explore a massive dungeon where everything can and will kill you if you're not careful. You also have a lot of control over your characters' development, which gives you a lot of choices when it comes to making a party.

e: nevermind, HenryEx explained it a lot better.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 10, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Eggn0g posted:

If you like little numbers going up then give the Disgaea series a shot - you can increase the level of practically everything in the game (items, characters, equipment etc.) and the maxinum level a character can reach is 9999. That is not a typo. If you want brutally hard RPGs then try the Etrian Odyssey games. You basically control a 5-man party as they explore a massive dungeon where everything can and will kill you if you're not careful. You also have a lot of control over your characters' development, which gives you a lot of choices when it comes to making a party.

I've been thinking of trying a strategy Rpg for the PC, but I have no idea where to start. I hear good things about games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Kings Bounty, but I'd like some advice on which one to start with. Preferably something that's relativly easy to get to grips with.

Can't you also reincarnate a character back to level 1 and their stats go up faster than normal when leveling up or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Luminaflare posted:

Can't you also reincarnate a character back to level 1 and their stats go up faster than normal when leveling up or something?

More or less. Stats when levelling up increase percentually, so the higher your stat when you level up, the higher your increase.
When you reincarnate a character, the levels you lose are "stored". The more levels you store, the more bonus stats you can distribute onto your base stats when reincarnating and the higher your stats will go when levelling up again.

You hit the cap on additional distributable base stats when you have stored 186,000 levels.
Yeah.