Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

KKKLIP ART posted:

I may be looking at getting a new TV to replace my 40" Samsung. I was thinking in the 55-65 range (so, giant). I'm renting and can't mount my TV on the wall, so I am limited to entertainment units. Where are good places to look for bench style units? I figure this would be a good place to check and see what people are using.

To be honest, 'window shop' Amazon and any major online store that does 'A/V Furniture'. Large selection and you will get an idea of whats out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

KKKLIP ART posted:

I may be looking at getting a new TV to replace my 40" Samsung. I was thinking in the 55-65 range (so, giant). I'm renting and can't mount my TV on the wall, so I am limited to entertainment units. Where are good places to look for bench style units? I figure this would be a good place to check and see what people are using.

Check out this post of mine from earlier in the thread. I bought this unit and absolutely love it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2385480&pagenumber=54#post384039212

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

Check out this post of mine from earlier in the thread. I bought this unit and absolutely love it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2385480&pagenumber=54#post384039212

Isn't that awful for airflow though? I can't find any images of the back of it, does it have one? What usually keeps me from getting something like that stand is that I can't imagine sticking consoles and stuff into an enclosed space. Do people just buy it and cut off the back or drill holes?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are you afraid of mounting anything to the wall, or just not willing to put the big gently caress off holes required for a mount? If it is the latter you can get away with buying some plywood, screwing that with drywall screws into the studs and mounting your TV to that. It will leave small, easy to patch holes, give some good contrast if you stain the wood, and let you still get a very flush mount if that is what you want.

My current TV is mounted to the wall but in the past I have done the above and it worked great. I actually added a inch thick spacer to use as a cable channel and plain shelf hardware to add some shallow shelves for my AV gear. It took up way less space than a stand, and since you only have to use screws big enough to anchor it to the wall the screws can be small. The plywood takes all the shear weight of the TV.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nothing special, don't even have photos, but..

32" Toshiba LCD 720p TV, hooked up to a huge antenna in the attic
JVC Dolby ProLogic receiver from 1994 (0.01% THD if I remember right, but I lost the manual at least 10 years ago)
Low end Infinity 5.1 satellite set w/10" powered sub
Cheap MSI Pentium P6000 laptop w/XBMC and CoreAVC via HDMI, plus a Rosewill Media Center remote

Trying to figure out what video card will be decent enough to add HDMI to my desktop so I can start using the laptop as a laptop again. :colbert: All of the media resides on my desktop pc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Juriko posted:

Are you afraid of mounting anything to the wall, or just not willing to put the big gently caress off holes required for a mount? If it is the latter you can get away with buying some plywood, screwing that with drywall screws into the studs and mounting your TV to that. It will leave small, easy to patch holes, give some good contrast if you stain the wood, and let you still get a very flush mount if that is what you want.

My current TV is mounted to the wall but in the past I have done the above and it worked great. I actually added a inch thick spacer to use as a cable channel and plain shelf hardware to add some shallow shelves for my AV gear. It took up way less space than a stand, and since you only have to use screws big enough to anchor it to the wall the screws can be small. The plywood takes all the shear weight of the TV.

I wouldn't give two shits about mounting it on the wall if I wasn't in an apartment :smith: It would make my life so much easier to just man up and mount it.

some texas redneck posted:

Nothing special, don't even have photos, but..

32" Toshiba LCD 720p TV, hooked up to a huge antenna in the attic
JVC Dolby ProLogic receiver from 1994 (0.01% THD if I remember right, but I lost the manual at least 10 years ago)
Low end Infinity 5.1 satellite set w/10" powered sub
Cheap MSI Pentium P6000 laptop w/XBMC and CoreAVC via HDMI, plus a Rosewill Media Center remote

Trying to figure out what video card will be decent enough to add HDMI to my desktop so I can start using the laptop as a laptop again. :colbert: All of the media resides on my desktop pc.

A card like this will be fine for getting media streamed to your TV over HDMI and do GPU offloading so you can do 1080p with a significantly less powerful machine since it does all the decoding grunt-work.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 21, 2010

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

The Gunslinger posted:

Isn't that awful for airflow though? I can't find any images of the back of it, does it have one? What usually keeps me from getting something like that stand is that I can't imagine sticking consoles and stuff into an enclosed space. Do people just buy it and cut off the back or drill holes?

I haven't had any troubles in the year I've had it. In one half I have my Denon receiver, cable box, router, and cable modem and it feels warm but isn't bad. If you're feeling paranoid you could always hook up a fan system in the rear or cut the holes bigger.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
As it sits right now.

Cable box, receiver, xbox/360 hidden in converted AM radio. remotes work through the frost plexiglass. Silver PC is running Boxee well to a 46" Vizio. Still a work in progress..

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

EvilPsych posted:

As it sits right now.

Cable box, receiver, xbox/360 hidden in converted AM radio. remotes work through the frost plexiglass. Silver PC is running Boxee well to a 46" Vizio. Still a work in progress..

Very cool idea! Are you planning on putting the PC inside the radio as well?

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004

jink posted:

Very cool idea! Are you planning on putting the PC inside the radio as well?

Eventually I'll have a small HTPC in the cabinet and that silver box will be moved to WHSv1 duty in another room to serve media. Alternatively I've been thinking about doing a casemod for a smaller radio for an HTPC case. Other plans include a veneer sheath of some kind for the sub so it matches, a small gigabit switch to connect all the networkable components to the home network (360, PS3, HTPC, cable box if timewarner ever unblocks it, etc) and powe/cable management. The half-assed build thread is over in the DIY section here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365317 If I were to do it again I'd try to find a deeper cabinet as this one was too shallow to eat all the equipment.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a cabinet that's enclosed just like that, I have my Denon receiver, cable box and PS3 in there. I was having problems with my PS3 over heating while playing games and watching movies. So I bought 4 of these, http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=2886&x=0&y=0, and put two on each side of my divider (bottom one blowing in, top one blowing out), with an AC/DC adapter and haven't had any problems since. And the fans are silent.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
that's on my list too. I don't think i'll need 120's, but 80's ooughtta work fine for me.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

EvilPsych posted:

that's on my list too. I don't think i'll need 120's, but 80's ooughtta work fine for me.

I had plenty of room for the 120's and for the money and the fact that in this case, bigger is probably better (or at least it can't hurt), I figured why not.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

EvilPsych posted:

Bigger fans are usually quieter!

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004

Alfajor posted:

Bigger fans are usually quieter!

I realize this. I don't want to get into a huge discussion over fan sizing/airflow considerations. I have a inline speed control for PC fans leftover in my parts bin.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just threw a new 32" LCD in the garage AV area / work shop / gym / storage

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished my overhaul which included relocating all my components, and lowering of the tv.

Putting the sub by the couch, and having everything at ear level made a night and day difference

Click here for the full 1596x266 image.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I know I've seen this one before, but where is this desk from? Ikea? Looks perfect for my bedroom.

Sorry it took me so long, but if you're still looking, it was from West Elm, although I don't see it on their site anymore.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Yay now i can post in this thread now that i have something worth of showing off...

Just got this setup a few weeks ago. Went from a 55" Sony Projection TV to this 58" Samsung 3d plasma. And i freaking love it! I will say i prefer watching 3d at home than in a theatre and im really impressed with how well the TV does it. Even converting 2d->3d works pretty drat good (smoking weed helps)

But ya here is the setup.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Samsung P58C680
Sony 400w Sound bar system
Ps3
Crappy Time warner cable box that i want to blow up
Airport
2x1tb mybooks for streaming media from

I am kind of regretting getting the sound bar, but i went that route cause i am in a apartment on the 6th floor and even sneezing or making tea on the stove with a whistling pot will send my holocaust surviving neighbor over to complain.

I cant wait to put up some mood LED lighting like that guy a few pages ago has!

But next on my list is either a boxee, appleTV or something that handles media streaming better than my ps3.

And man o man am i wanting a solid universal remote.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 17, 2010

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
I figure you guys will appreciate this.

I had a decent setup, but sold most of it when I downsized and moved in with my girlfriend. We have a nice 42" Samsung plasma, Xbox 360, etc, and the plan was start building around these components. However, when we moved this week, our TV stand broke.

BALLIN'

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
That makes me way nervous!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I need some help! The way my living room is setup (and per the wife's requirements) the TV stand and assorted hardware has to be in a corner. Here's the current setup:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Speakers came from an older Onkyo 7.1 HTIB
Current receiver is an Onkyo TR-607
360/PS3/PS2
HTPC in the Silverstone case at the bottom
Universal Remote MX-810 controls the whole thing

I've already pretty much outgrown the entertainment center, especially considering I'm going to be adding a Wii, possibly a satellite receiver, and whatever future gaming consoles come out while keeping all the existing stuff. The 42" Phillips TV is being replaced shortly after Christmas with a 54" Panasonic plasma. I'm looking for options. The wife hates, hates, hates the current speaker stands (I don't blame her) and would prefer me to find smaller fronts/surrounds so they aren't so much of an eyesore.

I'm pretty much open to anything. We're looking to stay away from the metal/glass option, as the other furniture in the living room is all dark wood. Maybe a longer TV stand, with a floating TV mount attached, with room for the fronts on each side? We have a L shaped couch that fits into the opposite corner of the room, so at least I don't have to worry about viewing angles and the like.

What do y'all think?

Dankness
Nov 26, 2003

Martie is a pimp.
Figured I would add my current two setups for you guys since I've been drooling over many of yours:

First, my living room setup is where I listen to my vinyl and airtunes

Marantz 2265B
2 x Sansui SP-2500
Project Debut III w/stock cartridge (hopefully upgrading w/Christmas cash)

Second, my gaming setup in my man room

50"Samsung DLP
Sansui QR-4500
2 x Sansui J33 bookshelf speakers
Hyper gaming PC

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dankness posted:

Figured I would add my current two setups for you guys since I've been drooling over many of yours:

First, my living room setup is where I listen to my vinyl and airtunes

Marantz 2265B
2 x Sansui SP-2500
Project Debut III w/stock cartridge (hopefully upgrading w/Christmas cash)

Second, my gaming setup in my man room

50"Samsung DLP
Sansui QR-4500
2 x Sansui J33 bookshelf speakers
Hyper gaming PC

I did a search for opinions on thos SP-2500's. I would love to hear something like those side by side with a set of Vintage Klipsch Heresy's. Two very different designs for speakers with similar sensitivity and positive reviews.

Dankness
Nov 26, 2003

Martie is a pimp.

jonathan posted:

I did a search for opinions on thos SP-2500's. I would love to hear something like those side by side with a set of Vintage Klipsch Heresy's. Two very different designs for speakers with similar sensitivity and positive reviews.

I really like them. However, I could be biased. My dad bought them in England in 1977ish and passed them down to me. I replaced the polypropylene capacitors inside them which is all I've done to refurbish them. Love the sound!

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
I need to figure out someway to hide the cables behind the tv stand.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

jhunter46 posted:

I need to figure out someway to hide the cables behind the tv stand.

False wall. Take some particle board, paint same color as wall, and screw it to the back of the stand.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Run the wires nicely with Velcro or Zip Ties. Spool up excess cable closer to the device it's coming from. Try to find a spot for the power strip, possibly under your entertainment center or behind one of your speakers. Or just put your DVD's on the bottom instead of in the towers.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Spent some time this evening getting the new bedroom tv installed. Ran electrical, re-routed the existing network drops I already had pulled to the room, and put hdmi keystones in the wall for connectivity.

lovely cellphone pic:

LG 32LE5300
WDTV Live Plus HD
U-Verse STB

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

devmd01 posted:

Spent some time this evening getting the new bedroom tv installed. Ran electrical, re-routed the existing network drops I already had pulled to the room, and put hdmi keystones in the wall for connectivity.

lovely cellphone pic:

LG 32LE5300
WDTV Live Plus HD
U-Verse STB

I want to get that LE5300 in the 55" version. Did you doublecheck to make sure you got the IPS panel ?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ThinkFear posted:

False wall. Take some particle board, paint same color as wall, and screw it to the back of the stand.

I use a Belkin Conceal power bar for that. It's basically a power bar with a foldup plastic shell built around it. It has 4 spots for the large power blocks and 6 outlets for regular stuff. Throughout the casing it has holes to route power cables and some other stuff. If you bunch them up a bit then it's fine but if you have like 100 cables behind your TV then I doubt it would accommodate that. It's not as elegant as the false wall but costs $30 and no real time to implement.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 31, 2010

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I need goon help! Just moved into a new place a few weeks ago, followed by buying a new LG 50" 1080 Plasma TV which, so far, is great -- I just need some advice on setup. Shelving is the main concern, as is noise control so I don't annoy my downstairs neighbour. I've told her to let me know if we are a noise nuisance at all but she has two teenage boys so I can't fathom it'll be too bad, I'd just like to be respectful and not annoy her or her kids.

My setup:
50" LG PK250 Calibrated according to the recommended settings for the PK550
Some Amp I can't remember. It's not terribly good but it does the job.
Energy Take Classic [4 speakers + sub]
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Nintendo Wii
Rocketfish wireless speaker receiver system for the rear speakers
Harmony [680?] Remote

Again, the main concern is shelving as well as positioning. I also was considering painting the speaker wire the colour of the wall so it blends in, I've heard mixed things about that though. It's a rental so I can't go too crazy. I'm debating whether to do bookshelf style for DVDs or maybe just shelving above the couch. Between myself and my girlfriend we probably own 200ish DVDs and I know she wants most out but wants it to look nice as well. I've also looked into subwoofer mats but have no idea where to begin to look to actually buy one or which one to buy. The shelving is another concern, especially given that I live about four hours away from the nearest Ikea all I have are Staples/Jysk/City Furniture near me, none of which carrying anything resembling what I'm looking for. Living in Canada probably doesn't help any.

The speakers I'm guessing should be lowered as well, which is definitely the next step if recommended. That ugly DVD tower I have in one of the pictures really has to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm lacking in creativity and style. I've attached a few pictures to give an idea of what I have and what I'm working with right now.

FYI the ugly rear end brown boxes are gone. And the lighting looks really awful in this picture. I need to figure out some lighting too, the apartment had nothing so we just hung that big lamp thing up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 31, 2010

sho-nuff
Jul 22, 2004
I think for your speakers, getting speaker stands would be your best bet. Also have you considered getting a TV stand with a floating mount? It would definitely improve your cable management.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Anyone have experience with these speakers? I'm looking to replace the speakers that came with my onkyo setup with something smaller and less noticeable (and not silver) to please the wife. In-ceilings are out, and I've already got speaker cable and a receiver. I know I could probably pick and choose better centers/fronts/surrounds, but I'm kind of looking for a one-shot-and-done deal.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

The TV should be lower, it'll look better and help you hide the cables some more as well. The speakers should be level with the TV (either top or middle, both would be fine). I find that the most comfortable height for a TV is about eye-level from wherever you're going to be sitting -- less strain on your neck that way.

As nice as wall mounting a TV is, in an apartment where you can't drill holes in the drywall and run the cables behind it, it almost never looks as good as putting the TV on a TV stand like sho-nuff said.

Speaker stands would be cool too because then you can hide the cable inside/behind the metal for the stand.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

coldfire07 posted:

The TV should be lower, it'll look better and help you hide the cables some more as well. The speakers should be level with the TV (either top or middle, both would be fine). I find that the most comfortable height for a TV is about eye-level from wherever you're going to be sitting -- less strain on your neck that way.

As nice as wall mounting a TV is, in an apartment where you can't drill holes in the drywall and run the cables behind it, it almost never looks as good as putting the TV on a TV stand like sho-nuff said.

Speaker stands would be cool too because then you can hide the cable inside/behind the metal for the stand.

What he said...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let me add, and I've said this in this thread ages ago, if you're going to wall mount a TV then put an entertainment unit under it with a bunch of stuff then there was really no reason to wall mount it, almost never looks better that way and just more effort for no additional results.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

EC posted:

Anyone have experience with these speakers? I'm looking to replace the speakers that came with my onkyo setup with something smaller and less noticeable (and not silver) to please the wife. In-ceilings are out, and I've already got speaker cable and a receiver. I know I could probably pick and choose better centers/fronts/surrounds, but I'm kind of looking for a one-shot-and-done deal.

I have the R510 version of those. For the price they are pretty decent speakers. Plenty of range for a small to medium sized room. You will not be disappointed by that purchase. Just keep an eye out on newegg for a deal.

gregday
May 23, 2003

For the first time I have the space and means to play with home AV. Over the weekend I picked up a Sony Bravia EX4 46". The only spec that I'm a little iffy on is it only does 60Hz, but most of what I'll do is watching DVDs and streaming things over the AppleTV, so I think I'll be fine. I have zero interest in Blu-Ray or gaming. I just ordered this to put it on:

http://www.amazon.com/South-Shore-Furniture-Collection-Honeydew/dp/B001IDY5JU/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

And now I'm shopping for a new couch and some other stuff for a good semi-home-theater experience. Anyone recommend a good cheap 2.1 receiver and speaker combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

gregday posted:

Anyone recommend a good cheap 2.1 receiver and speaker combo?

Just get a 5.1 combo set, you don't have to use the rears if you won't want to/can't use them, and you'll have them on hand if you do get the itch for surround. Set it up for 3.1, the center channel helps a lot.