Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

I'd like to see how well 8 graphics cards (or even 4) work when sharing only 16 PCI-E lanes between them. Bridge chips like the NF200 and Lucid Hydra help, but that only goes so far.

Maybe they stuck the switch on the PCH but that's still stupid because you only have 8 lanes there and DMI caps you at x4 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Eh... Maybe a CUDA cluster that needs inter-node communications?

And with this post, I've caused pre-emptive headaches in thousands of university IT helpdesks that will get requests for such systems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows whether there are virtualization improvements coming with SB? My Google-Fu leads me always to old Nehalem uArch slides and pages.

--edit: vvv Multiple PSUs with power-on chaining.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 29, 2010

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Heh, it still won't run Crysis though.:smug:

But seriously, who the hell needs 4 to 8 video cards? I guess it would be handy for scientific calculations but I can't think of anything else. And is there even a power supply that could run all of that?

I wish we could get some idea what prices are going to be at launch. The i5-2500K is supposed to retail for $216 but if there are going to be plenty of them to go around what gives them the excuse to price gouge? I don't recall the Wolfdale chips being gouged when I got one right after they dropped and they were slim pickings for a few weeks too. I had a staring contest with newegg for half a day to get an E8400.:f5:

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows whether there are virtualization improvements coming with SB? My Google-Fu leads me always to old Nehalem uArch slides and pages.

--edit: vvv Multiple PSUs with power-on chaining.

Maybe some minor uarch improvements. I think VMCS cache is a feature for the Xeon sku only.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Raptop posted:

I think VMCS cache is a feature for the Xeon sku only.
Trying to figure out what VMCS is, I ran over VirtualBox documentation that suggests that it's a feature available on all Intel CPUs with VT-x.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spasticColon posted:

But seriously, who the hell needs 4 to 8 video cards? I guess it would be handy for scientific calculations but I can't think of anything else. And is there even a power supply that could run all of that?

:q:

Numbersmasher:

Whisperstation:

Octoputer:

8 NVIDIA Tesla GPUs—Over 8 TFLOPS
2 Quad- or Six-Core Intel® Xeon Nehalem/Westmere CPUs
Up to 144GB DDR3 memory

All from Microway.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I imagine it'd be handy for storage machines with room for lots and lots of SAS expanders... but with SAS you just daisy chain the fuckers to begin with, so I dunno.

Maybe lots of Infiniband cards? The use cases for so many PCI-e x16 slots are basically only for high-end, high-density servers like what you see in blade-based systems.

I know there's people out there looking for 1TB of RAM in a machine, maybe there's a way to get that much RAM via PCI-e interconnects to RAM.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

fuseshock posted:

If anyone hasn't seen these yet and wanted to start scoping out the new P67 motherboards, here are a few links:

ASUS / Choose Socket 1155
MSI
Gigabyte
ASRock
Biostar

Will have to google around for price estimates though.

This was posted in the System Building, Upgrading, and Parts Picking Megathread. Just sharing it with this thread. I really hope those prices on ASUS boards on google is just a case of price-gouging.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Bob Morales posted:

Numbersmasher:

Whisperstation:

Octoputer:

Up to 144GB DDR3 memory

All from Microway.

Serious academic computing: where science meets blingin'-rad blue LEDs.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Combat Pretzel posted:

All upcoming SB board from Asus do have EFI. And yes, you need EFI for +2TB drives, at least if you don't want to partition it. If the boot partition's below 2TB, then it should be OK I think.

If you want to partition more than 2TB of space, even on a single partion, you have to use GPT. You cannot boot to a GPT partition with a BIOS, so you can't use more than 2TB on your boot drive with BIOS.

mobby_6kl posted:

but everyone is also forgetting about the page file. I have 6 gigs of RAM installed now, and according to windows 6143 MB are allocated right now, with 9214 being recommended.

Windows' recommendations there are kind of out of date. It depends on what you're running, but 1-2GB is probably a better size for that much RAM.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Space Gopher posted:

What? No, it doesn't, at least not on Windows. As long as hibernation is enabled, hiberfil.sys exists on the root of the boot drive, equal in size to the amount of physical RAM in the system. Even if you could delete it, you'd still have a requirement to keep at least that much free space set aside, which boils down to the same thing: less space available for the rest of your data.

:doh:

Sorry, I am used to Linux, an OS designed by people who you can't read a newspaper through their ears.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Nonpython posted:

Sorry, I am used to Linux, an OS designed by people who you can't read a newspaper through their ears.

The only difference between Linux and Windows here is that Windows guarantees adequate disk space to successfully hibernate, whereas Linux does not (necessarily).

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Zhentar posted:

Windows' recommendations there are kind of out of date. It depends on what you're running, but 1-2GB is probably a better size for that much RAM.

My Windows 7 laptop has 8 gb of ram but the hibernation file is 5 gb and the pagefile is 3 gb. I dunno what's up with that but it hibernates fine and the pagefile is fine. This is the automatic settings Windows did, not something I did myself.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nonpython posted:

Linux works the same way. A lot of Linux distros require the free space on the swap partition, rather than set aside as a user-visible file, but it has to be there. You have to have free disk space if you're going to suspend to disk.

But great job trying, kiddo. Maybe one day, if you save up your pennies, you'll be able to afford a real desktop OS.

madprocess posted:

My Windows 7 laptop has 8 gb of ram but the hibernation file is 5 gb and the pagefile is 3 gb. I dunno what's up with that but it hibernates fine and the pagefile is fine. This is the automatic settings Windows did, not something I did myself.

It's possible to use powercfg to reduce the hibernation file size. This is typically safe, because a lot of data in RAM is easily compressible, and it's possible that your laptop came configured that way (especially if it has an SSD out of the box). I believe Windows can throw out cache data if necessary when hibernating, too. Of course, if you turn the hibernation file size way down and don't have enough space to hold the contents of RAM, it'll bluescreen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm, I've been thinking... The does the SB GPU have embedded memory for the main framebuffer, or is it also stored in main memory?

If latter is the case, I hope that various virtualization manufacturers remember that there's an on-die GPU and think about repurposing it. Like this, one guest can actually get hardware accelerated graphics without much issues and messing around. Xen and KVM already have "mostly" working code to passthrough primary and secondary adapters to their guests, I'd guess at least VMware is also toying around with that stuff.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, I've been thinking... The does the SB GPU have embedded memory for the main framebuffer, or is it also stored in main memory?
The GPU shares L3 cache and system RAM, to my knowledge. Ivy Bridge will change this by integrating up to 1GB of RAM using stacked LPDDR2 dies with a 512-bit bus. Assuming 800Mhz LPDDR2, that's 51.2GB/sec of memory bandwidth for the on-die GPU.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Numbersmasher:

Whisperstation:

Octoputer:

Up to 144GB DDR3 memory

All from Microway.

Yep, built a modeling computer for the lab that I work in last summer, 4 GTX 295s, renders in a few minutes what takes my home computer hours and hours. It also has the ability to instantly crash windows 7 unless you turn off a video card.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Another thing that Sandy Bridge will be good for is GPU computing, since you can use the onboard video for display rendering and the Tesla card for computing. You have to use special compute-only drivers that doesn't support display output, because Windows won't allow you to perform any compute operations that take longer to complete than the driver timeout window (otherwise it thinks the driver hung and restarts it). The compute-only driver isn't a WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) driver, so it isn't affected by this. Basically this means you can get away without needing a separate videocard for display in Tesla-equipped systems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Alereon posted:

The GPU shares L3 cache and system RAM, to my knowledge. Ivy Bridge will change this by integrating up to 1GB of RAM using stacked LPDDR2 dies with a 512-bit bus. Assuming 800Mhz LPDDR2, that's 51.2GB/sec of memory bandwidth for the on-die GPU.
Bleh, so in that case, reusing the built-in GPU for hardware accelerating a virtualized guest is a short lived idea, unless a hypervisor can access the embedded/stacked memory.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I read on Wikipedia that the Ivy Bridge chips will be backwards compatible with Sandy Bridge motherboards. Is this true?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

spasticColon posted:

I read on Wikipedia that the Ivy Bridge chips will be backwards compatible with Sandy Bridge motherboards. Is this true?

As of now, yes. That said, they have advertised that in the past and changed their mind when the chip actually released. Also, you have to rely on the motherboard makers to update the BIOS to support the new architecture instead of trying to sell you a new motherboard with whatever new chipset will come out with Ivy Bridge, which is a gamble at best.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Has anyone seen any P67 based mITX boards? I want to do a SFF gaming box.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jet Age posted:

Has anyone seen any P67 based mITX boards? I want to do a SFF gaming box.
I haven't been looking for them, but there are definitely s1156 mITX boards available. There will be s1155 boards, the question is when, not if.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

I haven't been looking for them, but there are definitely s1156 mITX boards available. There will be s1155 boards, the question is when, not if.

Yeah all the designs I've seen so far have been H67 based. As you say no doubt they will come, but it looks like it will be all H67 for mITX at launch.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jet Age posted:

Yeah all the designs I've seen so far have been H67 based. As you say no doubt they will come, but it looks like it will be all H67 for mITX at launch.
ok, you're not going to find P67 mITX boards, but yes for s1155. There is no reason for a company to design a P67 board that requires a discrete GPU on a mobo that small.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Space Gopher posted:

It's possible to use powercfg to reduce the hibernation file size. This is typically safe, because a lot of data in RAM is easily compressible

I guess if somebody was really super concerned about the size/seek time of a hibernation file they could always drop 25 bucks on an 80G hard drive to dedicate to that purpose and then go hog wild.

E:

Space Gopher posted:

Linux works the same way.

Imagine a series of four file system partitions sitting on the edge of a cliff.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

angry_keebler posted:

I guess if somebody was really super concerned about the size/seek time of a hibernation file they could always drop 25 bucks on an 80G hard drive to dedicate to that purpose and then go hog wild.

Wouldn't work on Windows. The bootloader only has enough smarts to access the root of the boot drive, so that's where you have to keep the hibernation file. Besides, even if you could, an 80 gig hard drive would be slow as poo poo on the restore; old hard drives have pathetic sustained bandwidth. Putting 4-8 gigs of data into RAM at 75 MB/sec would take long enough that you'd probably be better off just cold-booting from the SSD.

angry_keebler posted:

Imagine a series of four file system partitions sitting on the edge of a cliff.

requesting name change to "johnny fiveoses," tia

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Space Gopher posted:

Wouldn't work on Windows. The bootloader only has enough smarts to access the root of the boot drive, so that's where you have to keep the hibernation file.

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of swsusp, which as far as I know lets you drop your suspend image on any partition you define.

Space Gopher posted:

Besides, even if you could, an 80 gig hard drive would be slow as poo poo on the restore; old hard drives have pathetic sustained bandwidth. Putting 4-8 gigs of data into RAM at 75 MB/sec would take long enough that you'd probably be better off just cold-booting from the SSD.

This is also a very good point.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Most of your RAM isn't actually in use, Windows doesn't write empty pages or the disk cache to the hibernate file. The actual amount of data to read/write is probably well under a gig for most people.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

ok, you're not going to find P67 mITX boards, but yes for s1155. There is no reason for a company to design a P67 board that requires a discrete GPU on a mobo that small.

IF there is a nich market that needs to be catered to jetway will most likely make a poo poo board that the big mfgs will sell in their own color scheme.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Since Sandy Bridge is coming out in 3 days, maybe we should prepare for the actual installation, as Windows will inevitably flip out when it learns that the old motherboard has been replaced by a new one. From googling, I get the sense that this is what you do in this situation:

Boot from your windows cd and do a repair installation.
If that fails, format and reinstall windows (gently caress).

Anyone have a more fool-proof method?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Since Sandy Bridge is coming out in 3 days, maybe we should prepare for the actual installation, as Windows will inevitably flip out when it learns that the old motherboard has been replaced by a new one. From googling, I get the sense that this is what you do in this situation:

To be fair, I had just put together a brand new I5 system 2 weeks ago and installed Win 7 x64 on it. Worked great for 3 days till poo poo got all hosed up. I then RMA'd my MoBo, CPU and RAM back, and took the SSD I installed Win 7 to and connected it to my old system, it booted up just fine, installed drivers and everything was great.
So, you might not have to do anything at all, at least for Windows 7*

*The only hardware that is the same between the 2 systems is the video card and SSD, otherwise a completely different system.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

If it's XP then just run SysPrep, assuming the hard drive controller uses the same driver on both systems (ie. ICH*R), otherwise you're in for a world of hurt.

If it's Vista or 7 then see the post above.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's cool because I thought even with my retail copy of Win7 I would have to at least do a repair install and hope for the best. I would probably have to still reinstall my wireless card and sound card though because when I moved my wireless card to a higher PCI slot to install my sound card a few weeks ago I had to reinstall the wireless card.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

KakerMix posted:

To be fair, I had just put together a brand new I5 system 2 weeks ago and installed Win 7 x64 on it. Worked great for 3 days till poo poo got all hosed up. I then RMA'd my MoBo, CPU and RAM back, and took the SSD I installed Win 7 to and connected it to my old system, it booted up just fine, installed drivers and everything was great.
So, you might not have to do anything at all, at least for Windows 7*

*The only hardware that is the same between the 2 systems is the video card and SSD, otherwise a completely different system.

Between Windows XP and Windows Vista, there were a lot of things unified and reorganized with the goal of simplifying maintenance and imaging. You can still (and probably should) sysprep it first, but if you can't, well simply dropping it into a new box can't hurt.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Unless the chipset is the same I always do a fresh install no matter what when getting a new mobo. Trying to save the original install usually seems to be more trouble then its worth in the long run.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Sounds like Sandy Bridge is going to be awesome, for overclocking (turbo) at least.

Overlock3D review: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/i7_2600k_i5_2500k_2300_1155_sandy_bridge_review/1
i5-2500k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=achL4hIAvpo
i7-2600k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSET4P6EZ30

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 3, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Holy poo poo reviews be out son!

Anandtech Sandy Bridge desktop i3/i5/i7 review

Anandtech: Sandy Bridge: Upheaval in the Mobile Landscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU