Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
In the spirit of the thread, somewhat. This is an example of a horrible mechanical SUCCESS. I walked away.

Oil Pan Carnage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Beach Bum posted:

In the spirit of the thread, somewhat. This is an example of a horrible mechanical SUCCESS. I walked away.

drat, did someone run a stop sign/red light?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

Crash picks from bad driving.

How many threads are you going crosspost this to?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm bored, cranky, and stuck at home. I left out the story. What's it to you? Is this not the mechanical carnage thread?

Also, bad driving? :downswords:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 20, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Beach Bum posted:

I'm bored, cranky, and stuck at home. I left out the story. What's it to you? Is this not the mechanical carnage thread?

Seems like more of a human failure than a mechanical failure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

No, it's not the mechanical carnage thread, it's the mechanical failures thread. Nothing failed in your story, except for your ability to see cars about to hit you... and that's not mechanical.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
a car did that? shape of dent made me think something smaller like a tree

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

some texas redneck posted:

Pretty tame, but I don't think I've ever had a motor mount do this before.

My car is no longer a 4 wheeled vibrator.

They look like this RIGHT before your picture. :v:

There was maybe an eighth of an inch of rubber left before the entire thing collapsed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They look like this RIGHT before your picture. :v:

There was maybe an eighth of an inch of rubber left before the entire thing collapsed.

Reminds me of the awful old Astron II Magna motor mounts. Because the magna community are somewhat ...um I can't think of a word to describe them, rebuilding those mounts with a tube of marine urethane when they collapse is gaining ground.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That happened to the rear mount on my DA Integra. And that was with the raging torque-monster that the B16a was.

Car actually still drove fine but eventually failed a safety inspection on it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
oops content:
Speaking of Magnas, I found these pics I took when the Magna's oil pump stopped pumping. #2 and #4 conrod bearings.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

dissss posted:

That happened to the rear mount on my DA Integra. And that was with the raging torque-monster that the B16a was.

Car actually still drove fine but eventually failed a safety inspection on it.

That seems to be a B-series thing. My B18 powered Integra's motor mount bushings were completely done in just a few years. Poly inserts help a lot. The vibration is sometimes annoying but it beats feeling your drivetrain thrashing around violently and wondering if this is the time your axles will snap.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

General_Failure posted:

Reminds me of the awful old Astron II Magna motor mounts. Because the magna community are somewhat ...um I can't think of a word to describe them, rebuilding those mounts with a tube of marine urethane when they collapse is gaining ground.

Dodge decided it would be a wonderful idea to use the same motor mounts found on the anemic 2.0L SOHC Neon in the 2.4L SRT-4. Soft is an understatement and Detroit Q. Spider put it quite well. Before aftermarket parts companies started making better mounts for these things people were doing the old school method and just filling the poo poo out of them with 3M Window Weld. Works pretty good actually. It's ghetto as all hell though. :v:

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

In the spirit of horrible mechanical failures caused by horrible human failures, this was from a few months ago in Newcastle, Australia. The first of these new locos (not in this train) was less than twelve months old when this incident occurred.

This is why some people can't have nice things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Dodge decided it would be a wonderful idea to use the same motor mounts found on the anemic 2.0L SOHC Neon in the 2.4L SRT-4. Soft is an understatement and Detroit Q. Spider put it quite well. Before aftermarket parts companies started making better mounts for these things people were doing the old school method and just filling the poo poo out of them with 3M Window Weld. Works pretty good actually. It's ghetto as all hell though. :v:

Coworker of mine has a N/A Neon that trashed its mounts. I'm sure the SRTs must murder them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Coworker of mine has a N/A Neon that trashed its mounts. I'm sure the SRTs must murder them.

The amount of motor flex on the stock mounts is insane. I rarely tracked my car and it managed to trash two of them in 40k miles. I snagged a set of these for pretty cheap and never looked back. Sure it turned into a 3000 pound vibrator but at least it doesn't wheel hop pulling through drive-thru's anymore.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

joehein posted:

this is/was the center section from a ford 9in out of my 71 bronco. although it had seen better days it did drive onto the trailer.

I blew the caps clean off of the Ford 9" in my old 1984 JYD camaro right at the starting line. Even so, if you applied the power ever so gently, the car would move noisily under it own power. This allowed me to get it back to the pits and onto a borrowed trailer.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

This came out of a '94 4T60-E, I guess it could not handle the power of a 3800, supercharged.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

joehein posted:

this is/was the center section from a ford 9in out of my 71 bronco. although it had seen better days it did drive onto the trailer.

:fsmug: from the days when men were men.
I can picture your bronco saying "it's just a flesh wound" as it hops up onto the trailer.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
New York's sanitation dept destroying a car due to their stupidity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_r-jO3lKE

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Could have been a LOT worse than it was. "Destroying" is a bit strong for the situation, you could probably do more damage with a baseball bat.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
You would be hard pressed to do this with a baseball bat.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Looks like two lawsuits they're up for... there's a damaged rear view mirror on the front car, as well as (I assume, since the front one is snowed in) the rear window, and the light makes it look like some damage to the doors and front wheel arch.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That front wheel arch isn't a weird shadow, that's a crunched fender.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BlackShadow posted:

Looks like two lawsuits they're up for... there's a damaged rear view mirror on the front car, as well as (I assume, since the front one is snowed in) the rear window, and the light makes it look like some damage to the doors and front wheel arch.

How about the 4000lb SUV parked in the rear end of the Corolla? If you watch the video, they actually pushed the Corolla forward with the Explorer.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

BlackShadow posted:

My understanding is that the white SUV was a city-owned vehicle driven by someone on the scene and the Toyota was the personal car of one of the guy in the front-loader.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

InstantInfidel posted:

My understanding is that the white SUV was a city-owned vehicle driven by someone on the scene and the Toyota was the personal car of one of the guy in the front-loader.

Where did you here that?

I only ask because it's pretty clear from the video that both cars had been in those spots for awhile.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I quite fancy hitting everyone involved around the back of the head with my copy of the REME Recovery Manual. Jesus Christ, that was an appalling level of stupidity.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

renraku posted:

Where did you here that?

I only ask because it's pretty clear from the video that both cars had been in those spots for awhile.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ideo_shows.html

quote:

"It could had been completely avoided," said the wife of Eugene McArdle, 53, whose city-owned SUV was crushed. "It was a poor decision."

quote:

the front-end loader also clipped the McArdles' personal Toyota sedan.

Emphasis mine; I had heard that from my dad and apparently he misread it. I think what actually happened is the incident took place outside of a city employee's home and the cars were his, not the idiots who were driving. Also, 'clipped'? More like demolished the passenger side but whatever.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

InstantInfidel posted:

Also, 'clipped'? More like demolished the passenger side but whatever.

Saying clipped is like telling a police officer you only slapped your wife, when in reality you punched her in the face repeatedly and finished it off by kicking in the mouth after she fell to the ground.

Clipping, maybe a bruised bumper or something. Not rear of car smashed 10 times.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

InstantInfidel posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ideo_shows.html

Emphasis mine; I had heard that from my dad and apparently he misread it. I think what actually happened is the incident took place outside of a city employee's home and the cars were his, not the idiots who were driving. Also, 'clipped'? More like demolished the passenger side but whatever.
Seems like a hell of a coincidence. Was the front-end loader parked there overnight, too, and snowed in?

I'm glad I'm not the taxpayer who's going to have to pay to fix those cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That front wheel arch isn't a weird shadow, that's a crunched fender.

The roof looks like it's caved in up front. I have no idea why.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 30, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Teenager.

Litrebike.

157mph.

Concrete.

By some miracle, no death.

http://jalopnik.com/5721263/this-is-what-happens-when-you-crash-a-motorcycle-at-157-mph

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

Teenager.

Litrebike.

157mph.

Concrete.

http://jalopnik.com/5721263/this-is-what-happens-when-you-crash-a-motorcycle-at-157-mph

Sweet jesus. The only things that let me know that used to be a bike are the battery and chain.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
that was most certainly not a mechanical failure, though

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

InitialDave posted:

drat. Last time I saw a vehicle reduced to a pile of parts like that, it killed eight people. And they say motorcycles are dangerous.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 1, 2011

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Driving like a loving idiot, while dumb, is not mechanical failure.

lazychris2000
Apr 2, 2010

I graduated college with a 2.0 GPA so go figure I can't fucking read

mutt2jeff posted:

Driving like a loving idiot, while dumb, is not mechanical failure.

They're more like neurological failures

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sweet jesus. The only things that let me know that used to be a bike are the battery and chain.

I see the chain. I see a couple of wires. I can't find the battery in that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

I see the chain. I see a couple of wires. I can't find the battery in that mess.

Lower right. Red top, black case