Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Reminder that the finale of Peep Show is on tonight at 10pm rather than Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

He says Ricky Gervais was the entertainment co-ordinator (or something) at one of the universities he used to do stand up at, and was a huge fan of Stewart Lee. Then many years later, after Stewart Lee quit stand up, he went to see Ricky Gervais with some friends, and was stunned and horrified to see Ricky Gervais doing what Stewart Lee considered to be material that was very similar to his own style, and playing to massive audiences, when 10 years before Stewart Lee played to near empty theatres doing the same style of comedy.

If Stewart Lee thinks Ricky Gervais' popularity was due to his material alone then I think he's a bit silly. Also he sounds bitter.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Royality posted:

If Stewart Lee thinks Ricky Gervais' popularity was due to his material alone then I think he's a bit silly. Also he sounds bitter.

It doesn't come across as being bitter and he makes reference to how ground breaking The Office was, so I don't think he means it in a negative way. Generally he's very complimentry about other comedians and writers.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
There's a thing about that here:
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/07/28/11445/they_said_i_was_ripping_off_ricky_gervais...

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

pisshead posted:

From what I can gather, he hates Little Britain because it's made by people from the same class as most other British comedians, and that it makes fun of people that the left-wing media dedicate their lives to pretending to care about. His point is mainly bolstered by a quote from a random poster on an internet forum.

Btw what the gently caress happened to Charlotte Church?

And I thought you were just being a troll in D&D

but no, you're consistantly hateful.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So did anyone watch that Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice thing? I don't know what it is about polar bear cubs but they're lovely. I think a bit more detail on those cameras would have been interesting though, especially Snowball Cam (What inventive names they had :v:).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Tramadol Nights update: Still not funny.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Flatscan posted:

It's been getting loads of complaints, as well as the Jordan complaints there were some about racist language so it might not get another series. That would be annoying because then Frankie Boyle can put getting cancelled down to being 'too edgy for the PC brigade' rather than the fact it shouldn't get another series because it is poo poo.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

This is the first one i've tuned into and it's loving gash. Boyle should stick to crassly ripping the pish out of current events.

Rudy Law
Apr 13, 2007
I'm at a loss to explain how someone with involement with Tramadol Nights could ever think "Yes! It's a GREAT idea to make the vast majority of the sketches with really badly done American accents!". It somehow makes it even less funny.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
My Tv license is paying for shows like "Is oral sex safe?" on BBC3 hosted by some yoof actress, ironically im in it's target demographic and i cant understand why this is getting commissioned?

Does having sex in the title, or whole premise bring in that many more viewers?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

LE0N posted:

worked for dawn porter

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

LE0N posted:

My Tv license is paying for shows like "Is oral sex safe?" on BBC3 hosted by some yoof actress, ironically im in it's target demographic and i cant understand why this is getting commissioned?

It allows the BBC to say it is educating young people, and ensures viewers because teenagers will watch anything sex related.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm pretty sure unless Jaws or the German Cannibal is blowing you oral sex has always been pretty safe.

How about you fund something like Monkeydust again BBC3? like the good old days. Trying to get them to do something funny now must be near impossible. Him and Her and the latest series of Ideal was okay as was Mongrels but that was three programs.

Three programs!

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Never watched this His and Hers thing before but it's pretty good and quite weirdly an accurate potrayal of living with a woman you're totally comfortable with, the girl is really pretty too. :allears:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

worked for dawn porter

with her shows though there was always the idea that she might get her tits out

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

with her shows though there was always the idea that she might get her tits out

I thought I was the only one who watched her shows solely for that possiblity.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Never watched this His and Hers thing before but it's pretty good and quite weirdly an accurate potrayal of living with a woman you're totally comfortable with, the girl is really pretty too. :allears:

Yeah, I really liked Him & Her as well.

Just because I need to post positive stuff occasionally :)

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I thought I was the only one who watched her shows solely for that possiblity.
I follow her on twitter for exactly that reason. Only happened once so far, but it was totally worth all the lovey-dovey crap with Roy from the IT Crowd.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Him and Her and the latest series of Ideal was okay as was Mongrels but that was three programs.

Three programs!

Being Human is very good and funny in a dark-hued sort of way, so that's four, I guess. (The new season of that must be coming on again soon, yeah?)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Does it have Coogan in? I've been meaning to try and catch that for a while now.

They should just merge the good qualities of BBC3 with BBC4 already. Decent comedy and great documentaries on the same drat channel.

Would better than the poo poo attempts of 'IS SEXING MY SEX GOOD SEX FOR ME' to pick up channel hoppers we're getting now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Irisi posted:

Being Human is very good and funny in a dark-hued sort of way, so that's four, I guess. (The new season of that must be coming on again soon, yeah?)

Some time in January I think.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's sickening that the news won't let go of this sodding flu thing despite GPs saying that the rise is normal for this time of year.

It's like they're desperately trying to make a story out of nothing now that the drama of having snow during winter is over and done with.

edit: "FLU DEATHS" on the BBC :ughh:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I don't watch a lot of ITV but I'm glad I watched Marple last night because this amazing advert was on.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kin posted:

It's sickening that the news won't let go of this sodding flu thing despite GPs saying that the rise is normal for this time of year.

It's like they're desperately trying to make a story out of nothing now that the drama of having snow during winter is over and done with.

edit: "FLU DEATHS" on the BBC :ughh:

We haven't had a good epidemic for a while, they must be bored.

Is this the worst Christmas TV year or have I just missed all the good stuff? Apart from Dr Who, Charlie Brooker and the Top Gears I've not seen anything worth watching.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Peep shows were good as well, but yeah. Moving the great big quiz to next week didn't help, even though it should be awful given the guests.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just noticed there's a shooting stars Christmas special on tonight at 10.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irisi posted:

Don't forget Russell Howard's Good News! Not a scripted show but it still counts.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

themonkeythatcried posted:

Don't forget Russell Howard's Good News! Not a scripted show but it still counts.

gently caress that shite, I'd like to see one episode where he doesn't try to pass off a story on Red Eye as a real piece of news.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's loving terrible. The first series was OK*, but it's unwatchable now.

*May or may not have had something to do with Richard Herring being a writer.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Herring just a script editor for like one show? He did several bits on AIOTM about how he only worked there for a really short while (and mainly for the free Haribos)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aw, I love that weird toothy man :(

Anyway, in other UK tv stuff, the new series of Skins is on its way (you can see the trailer at http://www.e4.com/video/lWa1TDiTvGRDGwWyPxqpw/play.e4 and it's got some Arcade Fire!). Is there anyone actually interested in this show who can convince me to watch? The sheer ridiculousness of season 4 has really turned me off and after looking at the new characters I feel like they almost universally need a slap.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aw, I love that weird toothy man :(

Anyway, in other UK tv stuff, the new series of Skins is on its way (you can see the trailer at http://www.e4.com/video/lWa1TDiTvGRDGwWyPxqpw/play.e4 and it's got some Arcade Fire!). Is there anyone actually interested in this show who can convince me to watch? The sheer ridiculousness of season 4 has really turned me off and after looking at the new characters I feel like they almost universally need a slap.

Something tells me you don't really get Skins. It's safe to say you aren't its target demographic. Any one IN that demographic also almost universally needs a slap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Something tells me you don't really get Skins. It's safe to say you aren't its target demographic. Any one IN that demographic also almost universally needs a slap.

Yeah, but none of the first set of characters needed a slap, except on occasion Michelle. Yeah, they were teens but they were loveable.

...God I miss when Skins was good.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

This thread does go in cycles and this has been discussed loads of times but Skins is really good, I didn't see the big deal with the third and fouth series, those two twins are both gorgeous, the filming is pretty nice too.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Also the new Russell Howard has had gigantic snowcocks and a granny getting golden showered in the first five minutes. Fantastic comedy. :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I didn't see the big deal with the third and fouth series, those two twins are both gorgeous, the filming is pretty nice too.

The female lead goes suicidal, starts seeing a therapist who brainwashes her. When the male lead goes to see the crazy therapist he gets beaten to death with a baseball bat. I don't think :psyduck: has ever been more appopriately used.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

The female lead goes suicidal, starts seeing a therapist who brainwashes her. When the male lead goes to see the crazy therapist he gets beaten to death with a baseball bat. I don't think :psyduck: has ever been more appopriately used.

Oh yeah actually I forgot about them, if you got rid of Freddie and Effy it would be a lot better, but that ending owns, I don't care. Cook is a great character.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just watched The First Men In The Moon not having much idea what it was about besides it had been written by Mark Gatiss. I recommend you watch it if you're into science fiction. Sometimes it had shades of Doctor Who although that's not really a bad thing for a ninety minute BBC science fiction drama. Although it has a sequence where Gatiss is wearing a cricket jumper and carves a polygon out of an apple.

So give it a watch, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Holy poo poo, Eastenders tried to do a green screen scene on the tube tonight and god drat did it look like dogshit. If you need a laugh, take a look at it, it's in the first five minutes and it's just appalling.