Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I have seen Black Books recently and thought it was amusing. I did not like it when there was a long build-up when Bernhard was supposed to act humane and then, wait for it, he totally did the opposite! But a less jaded audience may find that hilarious. The character really shone when it shone through that him being mean was partly because of his vulnrability, dependence on others and his naivete. All in all I enjoyed myself.

Same with Little Britain but there was too much repetition to enjoy more than a few episodes and I think sometimes it relied on shock-effects too much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Breaking Bad: So far (I'm at "One Minute"), Breaking Bad seems to go like this:

Season 1 = Walt :(
Season 2 = Jesse :(
Season 3 = Hank :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Dive in now. It's frustratingly short, but that's about the only fault I can find with it. I'd put it on par with The Shield (minus a few explosions) or early Homicide.

Plus it's coming back next week!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Started watching Justified.

Is it just me or does every episode have the same formula and progression with slight variables?

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Its just you, keep watching, it changes up quite nicely. Does that show still have an active thread? It owned and I can't wait for season 2.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I can't find Justified in my bookmarks, so I think the Thread's shut down... It starts off pretty strong, gets weak for a few eps, and then picks up the pace towards the end again. Finish the season, it's worth it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Good.

I like the main character, I just think the show spends way too much time on the different set of stupid assholes he's chasing every episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Misfits is damned good.

Just starting Eureka. It's okay, kind of boilerplate comedy/scifi, but perfectly watchable.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Plowing through Mad Men season 2 as we speak.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The first half of Justified is a little too episodic, but once they start stringing stuff together (like Raylan's dad, his ex-wife, and the Crowders) it gets awesome, with possibly one of the best first-season finales I've ever seen.

Can't wait for season 2!

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I enjoyed the episodic episodes, the one shot characters were a lot of fun most the time, the dentist (and the guy he trades cars with), the escaped convict, the hitmen from Miami, everyone involved in that absolute farce of a Hitler debacle, the guy who holds the correctional officers hostage and the hitman who is writing his memoirs are all awesome fun characters well written and mostly quite funny.

Oh yeah the loan sharks too, drat, I love the tone of that show.

And the bookie who sits round all day drinking Egg creams too :cheers:

Raylans :ughh: response to most of these people is one of the best parts of the series imo.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
I powered through all the seasons of Psych and I've pretty much caught up. The sarcastic humor was fantastic, and I can't really knock the show anymore. Going into it, I thought it was a pretty tacky concept to have a "psychic" detective, and I was pretty tired of the typical cop dramas but I pegged the show completely wrong. Looking forward to more of the show, especially now that the Yin stuff is done. And I find myself saying "What?" way too much.

I also went through Human Target, powering through the first and as much of the second season as there is. I'd definitely like to say that the music from the first season is some of the best I've heard in any TV show to date. The opening theme was fantastic, any musical interludes were great and really fit with the show. It honestly felt like an action movie every time I watched a show.

With that said, the second season is not even close to what it used to be. Music is pretty awful, some of the plots are pretty wacky (and not in the good way), and while the characters are pretty much the same with a few additions something seems off. Don't get me wrong, the action is still great, and Mark, Jackie and Chi are great, it just seems... different. I figured that to get picked up for a second season, there had to be drastic changes, such as an addition of a female lead and needing to cater to a younger crowd via music and pop culture... but come on. Music choices now are just plain bad. I'll gladly watch a show based on its soundtrack, but I guess that's not typical to the usual watchers.

I'll still watch it though, I enjoy the show none the less. I'm on to White Collar now, haven't officially started watching the show yet though.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So are they showing Misfits in America any time soon?

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Even better! A remake!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Seriously? I can't stand that poo poo. It's so stupidly unfunny with an annoying laugh track.. I'd even rather watch two and a half men.

Yeah, it seriously loving cracks me up. I dig all of the jokes, and Sheldon as a character is, I think, fantastic.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The best part of The Wire is how everyone says "police."

Po' Lease

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

spe posted:

Even better! A remake!

It'll be exactly the same, but without any swearing and sex, and everyone will learn an important lesson about themselves each week, but not actually develop as characters.

Lasciel
Dec 24, 2010
Finishing up the final season of SeaQuest DSV.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The best part of The Wire is how everyone says "police."

Po' Lease
Wait, so thats not how everyone says it over there?

I'm halfway through Americas Next Top Model Season 14. Bunch of hot girls with long legs wearing heels and tonnes of make up, dressing up and modelling. Best show ever.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Porkchop Express posted:

Yeah, it seriously loving cracks me up. I dig all of the jokes, and Sheldon as a character is, I think, fantastic.

As a nerd, I find Sheldon pretty insulting. As a character, he's got practically one note. I really wanted to like that show, but god drat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nierbo posted:

Wait, so thats not how everyone says it over there?

I haven't lived everywhere in the US, but in the places I have lived it's mostly said "puh-leece".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

As a nerd, I find Sheldon pretty insulting. As a character, he's got practically one note. I really wanted to like that show, but god drat.
Yeah, I don't mean to get all :goonsay: but the "nerd humor" in BBT is so overly exaggerated that I find it very force. Ultimately it's a show based around typical Hollywood stereotypes and cliches, whether it's the nerd humor (which are really just lazy references most of the time) or the "bunch of average/ugly joes and the hot chick that brings them all together" sitcom setup.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Different strokes for different folks

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Unfortunately that is not true. Big Band Theory is the epitome of en mass poo poo proliferation. With a laugh track.

If you identify with the characters or find the comedy humorous I pity your lacklustre existence and commiserate the sad identity you share with those 'characters' that you dream of sharing.

Geez, I don't think any other show has ever made me black-out rage like that.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 31, 2010

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know this is TVIV but some people just like to watch stupid poo poo on TV. I love The Wire and all but I also enjoy Stargate. I think Glee is awful but I don't think people that watch it are dumb. Personal tastes are just weird.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I have seen Black Books recently and thought it was amusing. I did not like it when there was a long build-up when Bernhard was supposed to act humane and then, wait for it, he totally did the opposite! But a less jaded audience may find that hilarious. The character really shone when it shone through that him being mean was partly because of his vulnrability, dependence on others and his naivete. All in all I enjoyed myself

I just finished a run through of that series and I was reminded how intertwined most of British TV is. Guest stars included Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Peter Serafinowicz, and Olivia Colman.

Somebody needs to publish The Elephant and the Balloon, the best children's book ever.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
My boss gave me the first season of Big Bang Theory on DVD and "cannot wait to see how much I like it." This happened because she found out I watched the first two seasons of Lost and that means we have the same taste in television, I guess. I'm really not looking forward to having to watch it.

In better news, I got the first two seasons of Breaking Bad for Christmas and like everyone else, I'm super impressed. I'm trying to force myself to only watch an episode or two a day, just to enjoy it more.

Also, this might not be the right thread, but is there a certain order I should watch all the Doctor Who stuff? I watched the first season with my family over the past week, and enjoyed it, but there's like, 5 movies and that Torchwood thing.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know this is TVIV but some people just like to watch stupid poo poo on TV. I love The Wire and all but I also enjoy Stargate. I think Glee is awful but I don't think people that watch it are dumb. Personal tastes are just weird.
Stargate is the good kind of bad tv though. Big bang theory is the bad kind of bad. But eh, different tastes i guess so whatever floats someones boat. :shobon:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

foastwab posted:

Also, this might not be the right thread, but is there a certain order I should watch all the Doctor Who stuff? I watched the first season with my family over the past week, and enjoyed it, but there's like, 5 movies and that Torchwood thing.

There's a hell of a lot of Doctor Who stuff and I'm not sure which season you talk about when you say you watched the first season... I'd guess the Christopher Eccleston season?

The show originally ran from 1963 through to the late 80s, was cancelled, had a mediocre TV movie in 199 then was brough back in 2005. Since then there's been the one Christopher Eccleston season, three with David Tennant followed by 4 extended specials and finally one more season since with Matt Smith. Christmas specials every year too between seasons.

Don't watch Torchwood, it's terrible.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Four episodes in, and Misfits truly is amazing so far.
It's got a cool soundtrack and some very nice bits of camera work.

I'd venture a guess and say that a US remake will be a horrible trainwreck (unless it will be on HBO).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Unfortunately that is not true. Big Band Theory is the epitome of en mass poo poo proliferation. With a laugh track.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Seriously? I can't stand that poo poo. It's so stupidly unfunny with an annoying laugh track...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8r3tHUK6v4

I tried watching Big Bang Theory. :laffo:

They couldn't go more than 5 seconds without using the laugh track. :laffo:

I didn't like that. :laffo::roflolmao::laffo:

It's a studio audience. It's not a laugh track. The laughter is actual people laughing at the jokes as the show is being filmed. Sure the people have been worked up by a warm-up comedian beforehand to get them in a laughing mood, but it's not canned laughter added after the fact.

Also it's not trying to be realistic. They are caricatures on purpose. Because the idea of people that nerdy is absurd.

Those are the 2 complaints I hear the most about that show and neither of them are accurate. I'm not saying it's good (although I do watch it) or that there's something wrong with you if you don't like it, but at least get your criticism correct. The nerd act is severely overdone on purpose because it's funny, and the laughs are real people that are enjoying the live taping of the show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

It's a studio audience. It's not a laugh track. The laughter is actual people laughing at the jokes as the show is being filmed. Sure the people have been worked up by a warm-up comedian beforehand to get them in a laughing mood, but it's not canned laughter added after the fact.

Yes, because when people complain about a laugh track they're not complaining about the obnoxious pauses that destroy any comic timing, they're literally complaining about the fact that canned laughter is used in place of a real audience.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Also it's not trying to be realistic. They are caricatures on purpose. Because the idea of people that nerdy is absurd.

They are caricatures on purpose because writing good characters is hard, and most of their audience won't even know the difference anyway. It's much easier to just get out the ol' sitcom playbook, pick out sitcom situation #528 and plug nerd stereotypes into it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If it's a real studio audience, then why do they bust a gut at the line "My new laptop came with windows 7"?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Will people stop being pedants about the laughtrack/audience stuff? Seemingly every time this comes up, someone has to make that "correction". When people say "I hate laughtracks" in TVIV, they are almost always using that as shorthand for any sort of audible laughter, real or fake.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GutBomb posted:

Whether it's live or pre-recorded, it's still a loving laugh track. If they'd complained about "canned laughter" you might have had a point, but they didn't, so gently caress off and die.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Trig Discipline posted:

I haven't lived everywhere in the US, but in the places I have lived it's mostly said "puh-leece".
I was just being a bit of a smart rear end.

I just finished Hells Kitchen Season 7 end to end. In terms of cooking, its a pretty rubbish season. All the chefs are terrible, but Ramsay is seriously pissed off this season, yelling and kicking people out much more than usual. I love drama but I do love seeing good food being made every now and then.

Also, finished Fight Quest season 1. I saw it as some bargain store for 20 bucks so I thought it must have been crap, but it really isn't. Its a totally awesome show for any martial arts fan, and I'm going to buy season 2 as soon as I can manage. Even my girlfriend who hates fighting was moved by some of the stuff on there.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I've been rewatching Reaper via Hulu these past couple weeks. I've only got about 3 episodes to go. gently caress I miss this show :smith:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

If you identify with the characters or find the comedy humorous I pity your lacklustre existence and commiserate the sad identity you share with those 'characters' that you dream of sharing.

Geez, I don't think any other show has ever made me black-out rage like that.

:rolleyes:

Man you take your TV pretty seriously don't you?

I like how people can black out rage over a simple TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it, simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

I've been binging through The Wire. I've never seen it before and I'm pretty sad that I've only got the last season left.