Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I hadn't hung out with my brother since we finished watching Lost at the beginning of November, so I was looking for a new show for us to watch together. Community is that show. What's the cancellation status? I heard it was cancelled but also producing new episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I hadn't hung out with my brother since we finished watching Lost at the beginning of November, so I was looking for a new show for us to watch together. Community is that show. What's the cancellation status? I heard it was cancelled but also producing new episodes?

Nope not canceled.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished through season 2 of Misfits. Everyone should watch it. Anyone on the fence because of the shitfest Heroes was should give it a chance. I hated Heroes, yet love Misfits. Really, the first 2 seasons are shorter than the first season of Heroes. It is really hard to describe the show without making it sound really lame, which is it's greatest weakness. But it is really great. Give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Porkchop Express posted:

:rolleyes:

Man you take your TV pretty seriously don't you?

I like how people can black out rage over a simple TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it, simple as that.

I was being sarcastic. I do think the show is stupid and I don't get the humour or how others could like it but that's as far as it goes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Not cancelled at all, and there are a lot of good reasons to think that it will last another season or two at least. While the ratings are just sort of middling, it's a huge critical success and DVD sales have been amazing. All of the cancellation talk is just people's residual fear from Arrested Development and similar shows - the feeling that a network comedy this good simply can't last.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Trig Discipline posted:

Not cancelled at all, and there are a lot of good reasons to think that it will last another season or two at least. While the ratings are just sort of middling, it's a huge critical success and DVD sales have been amazing. All of the cancellation talk is just people's residual fear from Arrested Development and similar shows - the feeling that a network comedy this good simply can't last.

I never understood how Community wasn't more popular, it truly is a pretty hilarious show. Joel McHale does a great job, and I love the fact that Chevy Chase is in it as well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Knocked out every episode of 30 Rock over Christmas.

Why didn't anyone say this show was good? :colbert:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Not by choice, but over this festive period I have been subjected to Sex & the City.

I hate this show. Each of the quartet needs to have the pointy end of their ridiculous shoes shoved up their nostril until it spears whatever passes for their brains.

The scathing, outraged rant-cum-review of the S&TC 2 film by Mark Kermode half-made me want to see it, but if it is anything like the actual show, I'll have passed out through sheer boredom before having a chance to work myself into a frothing rage.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Demelza posted:

Not by choice, but over this festive period I have been subjected to Sex & the City.

I hate this show. Each of the quartet needs to have the pointy end of their ridiculous shoes shoved up their nostril until it spears whatever passes for their brains.

The scathing, outraged rant-cum-review of the S&TC 2 film by Mark Kermode half-made me want to see it, but if it is anything like the actual show, I'll have passed out through sheer boredom before having a chance to work myself into a frothing rage.

I haven't read that one, but Lindy West's review is awesome too. It ends with:

quote:

If this is what modern womanhood means, then just loving veil me and sew up all my holes. Good night.

e: I just found Kermode's rant and it's great. Not funny like Lindy West's, but it really gets at a lot of the core issues that make that franchise so incredibly repulsive.

2nd e: Right near the end of Kermode's rant he mentions West's rant. It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiiiife. It's interesting how Kermode and West focus on entirely different aspects of the movie that are equally deeply offensive.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 2, 2011

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I finished up with Reaper and started watching The Loop.

I like to think it's where Sam ended up after eventually winning back his soul from the Devil. Sully is basically Sock, and Piper could be Andi. Lizzy doesn't really fit as Ben, though.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh excellent. I was sure I'd read something somewhere, about it being cancelled, then they burned off the last few episodes to successful ratings, and brought it back. Guess I was either dreaming or reading about a different show. Otherwise, that's fantastic news!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Oh excellent. I was sure I'd read something somewhere, about it being cancelled, then they burned off the last few episodes to successful ratings, and brought it back. Guess I was either dreaming or reading about a different show. Otherwise, that's fantastic news!

No the last episode was not burned off it was heavily advertised due to it being in stop motion animation.

Also on topic I am watching Mad Men for the first time. I can not believe that it took me this long.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

No the last episode was not burned off it was heavily advertised due to it being in stop motion animation.

Ah, I think I got it - the thread title, metaphor that represents a lack of payoff. I think I assumed that was a quote from the show that was put in to bitch about cancellation. Welp.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Ah, I think I got it - the thread title, metaphor that represents a lack of payoff. I think I assumed that was a quote from the show that was put in to bitch about cancellation. Welp.

Or it could have been one of the previous thread titles:

"Community: Canceled, 3 ep burn off Nov. 4 (P&R back Dec 9th)"

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Berkeloid posted:

Or it could have been one of the previous thread titles:

"Community: Canceled, 3 ep burn off Nov. 4 (P&R back Dec 9th)"

That would've been it!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been making my way through The West Wing for the zillionth time and I just finished the season 2 finale. I don't care how much praise The Social Network gets, "Two Cathedrals" is the best thing that Sorkin has ever written and it's a god drat masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUPDYXQUtw

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

No that is a quote from the episode. Thanks lost.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been making my way through The West Wing for the zillionth time and I just finished the season 2 finale. I don't care how much praise The Social Network gets, "Two Cathedrals" is the best thing that Sorkin has ever written and it's a god drat masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUPDYXQUtw

I watched that episode just last night and that clip still makes me tear up. To contribute, the AVClub had an excellent writeup of 18th and Potomac/Two Cathedrals (quite spoilericious)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

That would've been it!

That thread title was just a mod messing with all of the Community fans because they talk constantly about their fears of cancellation. There was zero basis for it other than that, it was just a mean (but IMO pretty drat funny) joke.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Went through The Office US the last week or so and I loved it. Felt kinda sad when I didn't have any episodes to watch every night like I have done every day, but I was happily surprised when I saw they had made a whole bunch of web shows and what it feels like hours of other web content.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Started Mad Men, and I'm mid-season 3 in Oz.

I hate the way the Black Muslims are written. Whenever there is the slightest conflict, a Black Muslim without hesitation or even a word of warning bursts into action and this is pretty much immediately followed by his friends holding him back from fighting. I think this is supposed to display how much restraint they have, but the problem is that this is used pretty much everytime they are on-screen, which makes them seem really unhinged. Kareem Said himself bursts into this bullshit like twice an episode with his eyes bulging out of his head and adam's apple moving like a drinking bird.
Just weird.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I only have one episode of Breaking Bad left. I'm saddened.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

That would've been it!
Oh, heh heh, that was Angerbot loving with us. The multi-page freak-out that day was hilarious.

Lasciel
Dec 24, 2010
Working my way through Psych right now, caught quite a few episodes on tv but I need to watch them all. In order.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I have 1 episode of The Deadliest Catch season 1 left to watch. I was surprised at how much I was drawn into the first half of the season (king crab), but I am really having a hard time caring at all about the second half of the first season (opilio crab).

I don't think I'm going to watch anymore seasons, unless you guys convince me otherwise. Is there anything different from season to season? I mean, crab fishing is crab fishing, right?

Charles McJessy
Dec 9, 2006
My perception has become cloudy.
Hey Now! Where's the love for The Larry Sanders Show? I don't think I'd ever seen (and recognized) Garry Shandling in anything up until this past week in which I've binged to season two, episode thirteen (Hank has a problem with the new band leader). That's when I decided that although the show has aged because of the quantity of topical jokes it's still making me laugh eighteen years after airing on television, and I'm laughing enough that I really want to know why no one is talking about watching it in this thread.

This show is full of familiar faces doing great material but I had only found out about it when I went looking for more work by members of The Kids in the Hall. Eagerly awaiting Scott Thompson.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

I have 1 episode of The Deadliest Catch season 1 left to watch. I was surprised at how much I was drawn into the first half of the season (king crab), but I am really having a hard time caring at all about the second half of the first season (opilio crab).

I don't think I'm going to watch anymore seasons, unless you guys convince me otherwise. Is there anything different from season to season? I mean, crab fishing is crab fishing, right?
Yeah it doesn't change much.

Broseidon
Mar 29, 2010

by T. Finn
Been blowing through the Sopranos; the kids are insufferable and the therapist's 'acting' is terrible but otherwise its great

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Finished season 1 of Boardwalk Empire which owns. So far the best line was by Chalky, "I ain't building no bookcase".

Started Carnivale. It's very slow moving but I'm sticking with it.

edit: Bookcase scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5Ik6MDSO8

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 5, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Charles McJessy posted:

Hey Now! Where's the love for The Larry Sanders Show? I don't think I'd ever seen (and recognized) Garry Shandling in anything up until this past week in which I've binged to season two, episode thirteen (Hank has a problem with the new band leader). That's when I decided that although the show has aged because of the quantity of topical jokes it's still making me laugh eighteen years after airing on television, and I'm laughing enough that I really want to know why no one is talking about watching it in this thread.

This show is full of familiar faces doing great material but I had only found out about it when I went looking for more work by members of The Kids in the Hall. Eagerly awaiting Scott Thompson.

It also has John Stewart and David Duchovney in a classic role.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Finished season 1 of Boardwalk Empire which owns. So far the best line was by Chalky, "I ain't building no bookcase".

Started Carnivale. It's very slow moving but I'm sticking with it.

edit: Bookcase scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5Ik6MDSO8

Is Boardwalk Empire on DVD yet? Someone recommended it to me a while ago but I'd forgotten the title.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. This is the best show.

And I thought I read that you could tell what was going to happen by deciphering the episode titles or something? Is that true?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

foastwab posted:

Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. This is the best show.

And I thought I read that you could tell what was going to happen by deciphering the episode titles or something? Is that true?
The episodes with flash-forwards were 737 - Down - Over - ABQ.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched all of Firefly and thought it was great (no surprise there from everything I heard about it).

I figured I would watch Dollhouse afterwards because it was also by Joss Whedon, but wasn't really expecting much due to the mixed reviews it got. I was actually hooked by the second episode, and I just burned through the rest of season 1. I'm probably going to take a break to process everything that happened in the last episode, but can anyone tell me if the end of season 2 (and the series) is a huge cliffhanger? This show got extremely ambitious all of a sudden, and it would be really disappointing to not see it completed, but it also seems like it would be extremely difficult to wrap it up.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

Lycus posted:

The episodes with flash-forwards were 737 - Down - Over - ABQ.
:haw: That's pretty cool.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010

Vivek posted:

huge cliffhanger?

No, wraps pretty neatly... nobody expected a second season so they had plenty warning. Liked 2nd season better than first, so you're in for a good ride.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've been binging through House the last week, getting towards the end of S2. It is repetitive but it's one of those shows that pulls off being centred around one character magnificently because watching Hugh Laurie be a total prick is so addictive. I found myself having to be careful because I've even started talking to people a bit more sarcastically and abrasively the last few days, and that is a sign of a great actor when some of their character's traits start to actually rub off on you.

Edit: poo poo! S2E17, All In, right at the end I think is the first time I've ever seen House laugh.

Also just now I watched the first two episodes of Misfits and I will echo the sentiment from a few pages back that it is brilliant, like a really gritty down-to-earth version of Heroes. I'm from the UK and listening to the chavs talk makes me piss myself laughing, and yes, in certain parts of the UK that is how they really talk!

"Ow'll kick y'in the oval office so 'ard y'mum'll feel it"

Cactus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Finally finished The Wire tonight.

I don't know if it's the best show I've ever seen, but it's up there. I definitely know I've never seen anything like it.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Not sure if it actually counts but I watched the modern Sherlock series put out by the BBC last year. Rekindled my love of the character.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Finally finished The Wire tonight.

I don't know if it's the best show I've ever seen, but it's up there. I definitely know I've never seen anything like it.

Me too. Now its on to The Sopranos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prisoner501
Jan 3, 2011

I'm so happy
Cause today I found my friends
They're in my head
I've been catching up on the latest season of Dexter. I highly recommend watching that show from season 1 if you can.