Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Duckman2008 posted:

The big plus for Kindle 3G is that its a one time $50 and then its unlimited. Having gotten over the new gadget phase i don't web browse much, so i'd say overall WiFi is fine for almost anyone, but $50 for unlimited extra convenience just seems to good to pass up. I am glad i got the 3G one, better to have it than not have it.

This. A smartphone is better for real browsing but the kindle browser is good enough to check your email, look something up on wikipedia, or check google maps in a pinch. It's also awesome if you take longish trips semi-regularly where you wouldn't have access to wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I got the 3G version because it's only $50 more and the ability to have 3G anywhere is nice if you do end up needing it. The WiFi version would probably be fine in 95% of situations, but hey, I like the option. :)

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Sensurround posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on the real difference the 3G upgrade adds for the new kindle? Are you only able to use it to purchase books through the kindle store or can you use the web browser on 3G to check google maps / wikipedia / whatever? I'm struggling to see how the extra $50 would be justifiable for just the ability to get to the store but I can't find any solid info on this.

The 3G service for kindle devices receives the lowest network priority, so it will be slower that other devices. Additionally, the kindle by its very nature is pretty pokey, so browsing the internet is relatively frustrating. If you know exactly what you're looking for, it's okay, but googling something and then using other pages to refine your search will take the wind out of your sails pretty quick. Also, nested links, like a lot of news sites provide, often simply won't load or will time out.

All of that said, the extra $50 bucks is completely worth it. I got the 3G kindle for myself for christmas, and I've already got $50 worth of enjoyment out of the network. I'm always traveling, and I rarely get a free moment, my laptop, and a wifi connection all at the same time. I suppose if you're homebound or always on a wifi network, the expense wouldn't be worth it, but for me it's already paid for itself. I imagine at some point the terms of use will change to require a certain number/value of purchases per year to enable the 3G service(but I read several books a week so even that wouldn't crimp my style), but for now it's free internet access without the irritations of flash anywhere you get cell service, which is basically like living in the future.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I wanted to download a book for my Kindle Wifi yesterday while I was on a train, so I used Wireless Tether from my phone instead. :byodood:

Probably the first and only time I'll "need" to do that, but it wasn't worth $50 extra for 3G for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Apologies if this is asked all the time, but I know there are ways to let other family members view your kindle books on their kindle. I've had mine for over a year now & have hundreds of books on it, and my nephew just got a new kindle; how do I let him view my books?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apologies if this is asked all the time, but I know there are ways to let other family members view your kindle books on their kindle. I've had mine for over a year now & have hundreds of books on it, and my nephew just got a new kindle; how do I let him view my books?
You mean "lend your books"? That actually just got implemented about two days ago -- but apparently for only certain books. Before that it was only a Nook thing. Info here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Pretty sure you can link multiple Kindles to the same account, but he'd be able to buy books with your credit card.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pienipple posted:

This. A smartphone is better for real browsing but the kindle browser is good enough to check your email, look something up on wikipedia, or check google maps in a pinch. It's also awesome if you take longish trips semi-regularly where you wouldn't have access to wifi.

Out of curiosity, what's your method of checking email? I use Gmail and always assumed gmail.com would be too obnoxious for the Kindle. Same with maps actually.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your method of checking email? I use Gmail and always assumed gmail.com would be too obnoxious for the Kindle. Same with maps actually.

Gmail basic HTML version works fine and it remembers that setting after the first time.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Duckman2008 posted:

Gmail actually works really well. On my own hosting I use squirrelmail and that renders quite readably.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

I wanted to download a book for my Kindle Wifi yesterday while I was on a train, so I used Wireless Tether from my phone instead. :byodood:

Really, I tried this with mine the other day as I wasn't able to get on my office wifi, and it said it cannot connect to enterprise or ad-hoc networks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ara posted:

Pretty sure you can link multiple Kindles to the same account, but he'd be able to buy books with your credit card.

What's the method to do this? Could he link to my account, download, then unlink? Or switch his kindle from his account to mine and back?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

What's the method to do this? Could he link to my account, download, then unlink? Or switch his kindle from his account to mine and back?
Yea. He could switch to your account, download your books, then switch back. Or use the brand new lending feature which Amazon just rolled out for some books.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

If I want to buy Norwegian Wood and they don't have it in the UK kindle store, are there any other ways I can get it legally, like other ebook places that might sell it?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Yes to both.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Tutu posted:

If I want to buy Norwegian Wood and they don't have it in the UK kindle store, are there any other ways I can get it legally, like other ebook places that might sell it?

http://www.cyberread.com/Norwegian-Wood/MURAKAMI-HARUKI/id385432/

Does that work for you?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Really, I tried this with mine the other day as I wasn't able to get on my office wifi, and it said it cannot connect to enterprise or ad-hoc networks.
The EVO (and several other phones) support infrastructure mode. Going out on a limb, I'll guess that any phone that supports carrier-branded wifi tethering has chipset support for a "normal" wifi network. Whether Wifi Tether supports that mode is probably not guaranteed, but the EVO and the chipset it uses most definitely works with Wifi Tether.

I've never tried it on any other phone, so I didn't realize there was a difference until I updated the app earlier today. It specifically mentioned infrastructure mode support for the EVO, which it already supported before the most recent update.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 1, 2011

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

That looks like it would work because it uses paypal, thanks. It says that their mobi books are unlikely to work with the kindle though... so just buy it in epub or something and convert it to mobi?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Tutu posted:

That looks like it would work because it uses paypal, thanks. It says that their mobi books are unlikely to work with the kindle though... so just buy it in epub or something and convert it to mobi?

The epub is an Adobe Digital Editions, so if you can break the DRM on that then you can convert it in Calibre. Are you buying that because the movie just came out? I'm going to see it this week, pretty stoked for it.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Ara posted:

The epub is an Adobe Digital Editions, so if you can break the DRM on that then you can convert it in Calibre. Are you buying that because the movie just came out? I'm going to see it this week, pretty stoked for it.

This is what I would do.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Do any of you have experience in creating ebook files? I have some things I'd like to convert, but I'm having trouble getting the chapters/sections to behave properly. I'm typing it up in Word and saving as an RTF. I've tried inserting page breaks and section breaks, but neither does what I expect it to when I convert to a mobi and copy it over to my kindle. I'm converting with Calibre, and for various reasons I'd prefer not to use Amazon's document conversion service.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

This is a random question that's probably already been answered, but: if you buy a book at the B&N or Borders stores (for example), can you convert them to a format readable by Kindle with Calibre, or do they have DRM that will prevent it? (I'd sort of assumed that you couldn't, but I may be wrong.) I would try it out, but I don't want to spend money on something I couldn't read. :P

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

SLOSifl posted:

Probably the first and only time I'll "need" to do that, but it wasn't worth $50 extra for 3G for me.

How did you get that to work? I tried doing that, but my Kindle said that the network was not supported.

Hmm. Maybe I should RTFM.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For those looking for a cheap way to get into the ebook world, woot.com has the sony touch (prs 600) readers on sale today for 99$.

Pretty decent readers, for a pretty decent price.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For those looking for a cheap way to get into the ebook world, woot.com has the sony touch (prs 600) readers on sale today for 99$.

Pretty decent readers, for a pretty decent price.

I'd be a little careful with that as thats the PRS 600 and NOT the current model which is the PRS 650.

Means it has the resistive touchscreen, and the older EInk screen rather than the new Pearl one.

Still a nice price though.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Do any of you have experience in creating ebook files? I have some things I'd like to convert, but I'm having trouble getting the chapters/sections to behave properly. I'm typing it up in Word and saving as an RTF. I've tried inserting page breaks and section breaks, but neither does what I expect it to when I convert to a mobi and copy it over to my kindle. I'm converting with Calibre, and for various reasons I'd prefer not to use Amazon's document conversion service.

This would probably be easier with real book creation software instead of a conversion tool, but Calibre has pretty sophisticated structure detection capabilities with XPath. It needs a HTML-based input format like epub to work, so you can't use RTF directly. If your RTF is consistently formatted (i.e. all chapter titles have the same font/size/etc. but different from the rest of the text) you can pretty easily do it using epub as an intermediate format.

1. Convert your RTF to epub with Calibre.
  2. Extract the epub or use Calibre's "tweak epub" option and look at the HTML(s) inside.
  3. See how Calibre auto-formatted your chapters. I made a test RTF file and after the conversion all the chapter titles looked like this:
    code:
    <span class="none">CHAPTER 1</span>
    while all the regular paragraphs had class="none1". You can use this sort of thing to autodetect chapters.
  4. Now convert from epub to mobi. In the "Structure detection" tab, you'll need to input the chapter detection XPath, but you can just use the wizard to tell it to find (in this case) the tag "span" with attribute "class" and value "none$" (the $ is a regex thingy to ensure it matches "none" but not "none1" etc.). This will give you an XPath expression like the following:
    code:
    //h:span[re:test(@class, "none$", "i")]
    Below you'll find an option to insert pagebreaks (for some reason the built-in viewer seems to ignore them, but they work on the Kindle). Depending on your input format you might also want to use "Force use of auto-generated ToC" in the "Table of Contents" tab.
  5. The resulting mobi file should have a proper Table of Contents at the end, pagebreaks, dots marking the chapters on the Kindle's progress bar and all that jazz.

This can get more complicated if you have a messy input file but since you create the input files yourself it should be OK. You can simplify this by, say, using bolded font on chapter titles and nothing else in the file and then telling it to detect everything in <b> tags as chapter titles. Or you can just write it in HTML yourself with chapter titles looking like <h1 class="chapter">CHAPTER WHATEVER</h1> and then the default XPath expression will detect it.

I've only started playing around with Calibre recently so there might be an easier way but I hope this helps anyway.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010
It had never occurred to me to buy an eReader until someone in my office brought in a Kindle on Friday and I realised I had to have one. My Wi-Fi version is being delivered on Wednesday (I have an iPhone already, so the 3G functionality would be largely redundant).

Is there a way to get around the regional restrictions on content? I want to subscribe to the New Yorker, but it isn't available in the UK Kindle store.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

El Bandit posted:

It had never occurred to me to buy an eReader until someone in my office brought in a Kindle on Friday and I realised I had to have one. My Wi-Fi version is being delivered on Wednesday (I have an iPhone already, so the 3G functionality would be largely redundant).

Is there a way to get around the regional restrictions on content? I want to subscribe to the New Yorker, but it isn't available in the UK Kindle store.

You could use calibre to make ebooks of newspapers automatically and have them emailed to you, but you won't get the full range of articles, only those that are posted on the website.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

frameset posted:

You could use calibre to make ebooks of newspapers automatically and have them emailed to you, but you won't get the full range of articles, only those that are posted on the website.
This looks like a good option, although I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on whether Amazon charges for the Kindle to receive books by email. If my Kindle is on a wireless network and Calibre sends a document to X@Kindle.com using my X@gmail.com account, will it cost me anything?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yep.

You can stop that by either using the x@free.kindle.com address, or logging into your amazon account and changing your account limit for transfers to 0.00$.

That kinda bit me in the rear end when I had a kindle. Spent 5 bucks emailing books to myself :doh:

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

El Bandit posted:

This looks like a good option, although I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on whether Amazon charges for the Kindle to receive books by email. If my Kindle is on a wireless network and Calibre sends a document to X@Kindle.com using my X@gmail.com account, will it cost me anything?

Amazon only charges for delivery of emailed content over 3G, never over wifi.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

madprocess posted:

Amazon only charges for delivery of emailed content over 3G, never over wifi.
Cool, so I'll never have to worry about fees since I have a Wi-Fi only version?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cray posted:

This would probably be easier with real book creation software instead of a conversion tool, but Calibre has pretty sophisticated structure detection capabilities with XPath. It needs a HTML-based input format like epub to work, so you can't use RTF directly. If your RTF is consistently formatted (i.e. all chapter titles have the same font/size/etc. but different from the rest of the text) you can pretty easily do it using epub as an intermediate format.

Thanks, this is actually pretty helpful. I looked at the official mobipocket creation tool, but that didn't seem to be what I was looking for at the time; perhaps I'll take another look and see if I can make do with that. Is there another ebook creation tool that you've had luck with? I didn't realize that calibre was looking for html, and making some additions to the chapter xpath did get my sections split up the way I wanted them. I don't have this stuff typed out already, so I'm happy to use whatever tool will make that easiest for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had a lot of luck with Sigil. It's really basic, but it's nice for tweaking exploded epub files or even creating ones of your own. It does only work with epub currently, but once you get the epub the way you like, it should covert easily in Calibre.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

If someone can find bigger versions of these images they would make great screensavers:
http://www.grabink.com/ASP/gallery.asp?category=rel

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
anyone trying to download the new version of calibre? the website runs fast but the download itself it's super slow

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

The Aphasian posted:

If someone can find bigger versions of these images they would make great screensavers:
http://www.grabink.com/ASP/gallery.asp?category=rel

I went through and resized/grayscaled/removed borders from some of the images. They didn't end up looking too bad all things considered so I uploaded the set here http://www.nook-look.com/nookfiles/view/4839 .

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

El Hefe posted:

anyone trying to download the new version of calibre? the website runs fast but the download itself it's super slow

Probably because everyone and their mother is downloading it post holdiay gifting..

That and at least the OS-X version of Calibre is a whipping 200MB application!?! Don't ask me how that worked out considering what the app is.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Probably because everyone and their mother is downloading it post holdiay gifting..

That and at least the OS-X version of Calibre is a whipping 200MB application!?! Don't ask me how that worked out considering what the app is.

The Windows version is a pig, too, but not that big. But the install file for every version is ~30 megs, don't know if every file is that big for the Mac. The thing grinds my computer to a halt with my hard drive going crazy for a good minute when starting up, and if it starts auto-downloading and converting news while I'm playing a game, my whole computer just about dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

El Hefe posted:

I get it from the SourceForge link instead and it downloads much faster.