Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Catfish, I haven't assembled my computer yet, when I do I'm up for trying some HoN or LoL. I'm not sure how high my ping will be though if I play with you guys :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Barrelfox posted:

I'm still rocking an 8800GTS from three years ago. I'm playing Bad Company 2 from the Steam sale - it runs acceptably and seems much more optimised graphically than BF2 was - though I am using medium graphical settings and a modest screen resolution.

I'm tempted to upgrade to the GTX460 - I know its not quite the right forum to ask technical questions, but what kind of performance increase can I expect from the change from the 8xxx to the 4xx series, born in mind I'm going to be bottlenecked by my E6700 Core2Duo?

I've also got a little Samsung NC20 for my mobile needs, despite some iffy drivers it's been a top little machine.

This is late but you WILL be bottlenecked by a dual core processor with a GTX460 on a good number of very modern games that use a large quantity of processing power to make for the weak graphics hardware in the Xbox360. Bad Company 2 is a prime example of it. You won't be able to max your graphics card usage % with a dual core in this game, since it's been coded to have like one core handle the sound at least. Not only that but the more powerful your graphics card becomes, the more data it sends out to your processor. An already stressed processor won't be able to handle Bad Company 2 at a good framerate (60 fps) on decently good looking settings, even with a beastly video card. You can tell you're processor bottlenecked when you end up with the same performance regardless of video settings, either high or low yields roughly the same FPS.

Farm Frenzy posted:

my computer from 2008 with a quad core, medium range graphics card and 4 gigs of ram can still run pretty much every AAA game on very high so I'd say its already happening

Sadly for me "running every AAA game on high" means running them at a rock steady 60+ fps (with or without v-sync), and in that department I still can't do it comfortably at 1920x1080 for most of them with:

i5 750 overclocked at 3.8ghz
HD 5870 with latest drivers
4gb Ram

Most notably:

Borderlands (Atrociously unstable framerate. Have to at the very least disable dynamic shadows or else it drops to 40ish in the distance. Forcing AA through the ATI control pannel, while pretty, makes the game lose about 40% performance by slice of x2 AA added. Clearly was not coded for that.)

Bad Company 2 (Still cannot max this out and remain over 60 fps with smoke and explosions. Drops to 30ish fps. Forced to turn HBAO off and shadows to medium.)

Any 3d Total War Game (Napoleon runs like rear end and always has. Rome and Medieval 2 still chug down in large fights even with modern hardware)

GTA 4 (Basically all around a terrible port)

Civilization 5 (Doesn't hold a steady framerate into the late game)

Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit (Don't add anything over 4x AA(forced) or it will slow down tremendously)

Athropos fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 28, 2010

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Im still rocking a singlecore. :whatup:

:smithicide:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Athropos posted:

Sadly for me "running every AAA game on high" means running them at a rock steady 60+ fps (with or without v-sync), and in that department I still can't do it comfortably at 1920x1080 for most of them with:

i5 750 overclocked at 3.8ghz
HD 5870 with latest drivers
4gb Ram

Most notably:

:words:
Would dropping your resolution a level help? My desktop right now is

i7 920 @ 2.66
4870 512 GB
4 GB RAM

but running at 1680x1050.

Not to get all :smug:, I don't think I have any game that isn't on mostly high (or ultra high) settings, Borderlands and Civ5 included, that have any framerate issues.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TigSource has a pretty good list of indie games of 2010, many of them free. Many of which I passed over, but am now taking a second glance at:

http://www.tigsource.com/2010/12/31/top-indie-games-of-2010-according-to-the-tigsource-forums/

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Would I notice a difference in FPS greatly if I upgraded from a 19 in. normal screen [1280x1024] to a 21 inch screen, and change the resolution to whatever the 21 in. native res is?

Also, is it too hard to find a 21 in. normal screen? I pretty much hate widescreens because they look like utter crap on smaller displays. Not sure if thats the case with a 21 in. screen...

Oh, specs for refrence:
i7 930 proc
Ati Radeon HD5870
6GB RAM
ASUS X58 mobo
WD Black HDD

Currently, I can throw about any game at it, and it will play it on max with great FPS. Just wondering if i'll have to sacrifice with a bigger screen. [19 inches is large enough for me in gaming, but a little small for the other things I do on it.]

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Avocadoes posted:

Would I notice a difference in FPS greatly if I upgraded from a 19 in. normal screen [1280x1024] to a 21 inch screen, and change the resolution to whatever the 21 in. native res is?

Also, is it too hard to find a 21 in. normal screen? I pretty much hate widescreens because they look like utter crap on smaller displays. Not sure if thats the case with a 21 in. screen...

Oh, specs for refrence:
i7 930 proc
Ati Radeon HD5870
6GB RAM
ASUS X58 mobo
WD Black HDD

Currently, I can throw about any game at it, and it will play it on max with great FPS. Just wondering if i'll have to sacrifice with a bigger screen. [19 inches is large enough for me in gaming, but a little small for the other things I do on it.]

Widescreen is preferable for 21". The only reason widescreen would look like poo poo is if the app is stretching to do widescreen, in which case you can set your res to a 4:3 one and set your GPU to keep aspect ratio. Also, the power needed for Resolution X will be the same no matter the screen size. If you get 73 FPS at 800x600, for instance, on a 16" screen, you'll get 73FPS at 800x600 on a 50" screen. So it all depends on the native res of your new monitor. I recently switched from a 1280x1024 5:4(It was $20 from a friend) to a 1920x1080 native res widescreen and while I got lower FPS on GTA IV and Crysis, not much else dropped for me and I'm on an Athlon II x4 and a 4850, so mine's a bit weaker than yours.

EDIT: And adding my own question, why did ATi change it so you can only do fixed aspect ratios over a digital connection now? I normally play my old games that need widescreen correction on my netbook, but I just installed Beyond Good and Evil on my desktop with a widescreen hooked up through VGA and it won't let me set that setting because of it. :\

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2011

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Times posted:

Yeah. The only reason IMO to ever buy nonshitty 'gaming' type stuff is for aesthetics. If you're willing to pay extra for having it look neat, such as with art from your favorite game on it, that's all right I guess. Speaking of aesthetics, I mentioned earlier I'd like to find a neat looking wired 360 controller but after considering it I realized I'd rather pocket the extra money to buy on more games or other things.

The idea of a good quality third party 360 controller with a better d-pad is quite appealing to me in particular though. A couple were linked already but I'd love to find out about ones people know for a fact are really stellar quality. In general I tend to be wary of the quality of third party controllers.

Edit: Wow, the razer onza looks really good. I think that might be the one I get when it comes out.

I just bought this logitech F350 controller for $15, and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far, works great for geometry wars.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What's the best Quad Core processor to buy for cheap, without the intent of overcloaking, to get a nice upgrade from my E8400 dual core?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Brace posted:

What's the best Quad Core processor to buy for cheap, without the intent of overcloaking, to get a nice upgrade from my E8400 dual core?

I know the Athlon II X4 640 is only $100 right now. That would require a new motherboard to go with it, though.

Ned_Perfel
Jan 15, 2003

Brace posted:

If you aren't at least going an i5-i7, I don't see the real bump in performance to make it worth the hassle if you aren't going to overclock.

Ned_Perfel
Jan 15, 2003

Avocadoes posted:

Oh, specs for refrence:
i7 930 proc
Ati Radeon HD5870
6GB RAM
ASUS X58 mobo
WD Black HDD

Depends on the game, settings and resolution of the monitor, but the 5870 is a solid card and can easily handle 1920x1200 or less in the vast majority of modern games.

As for the monitor, Dell might have some, I know I have a 21" Dell 4:3 LCD but it's probably 5 years old now. I'd suggest going 16:10.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Not overclocking a E8400 is pretty silly, anyway. A overclocked E8xxx matches a Q6600 even in games that can utilize quad-cores well and for everything else it's perfectly fine.

Ned_Perfel
Jan 15, 2003

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Not overclocking a E8400 is pretty silly, anyway. A overclocked E8xxx matches a Q6600 even in games that can utilize quad-cores well and for everything else it's perfectly fine.

Agreed. Cheaper and easier source of performance to buy a nice heatsink/fan and ramp it up to 4.0

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking of an AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb (9xx)... L3 cache unlike the Propus models (the 6xx's), though the cost is more like $120 (920 Socket AM2+) -186 (Black Edition 970 Socket AM3). Mindja I want a processor for gaming while I have a poo poo ton of browser tabs/windows open...

What IS the AMD equivalent of Core i5-i7 anyway? Socket compatibilities have been why I've stuck with AMD...

Currently using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane (Socket AM2) on a Socket AM2/AM2+/"AM3 Ready" motherboard. (My computer thinks it's a 5050e, and Core Temp thinks it's a 5050B... that's nonexistent... unless I've been looking at the wrong box this whole time.) Stock heatsink and fan btw.

P.S. Are there Socket AM3 boards that are NOT AM2/AM2+ backwards compatible?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

I was thinking of an AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb (9xx)... L3 cache unlike the Propus models (the 6xx's), though the cost is more like $120 (920 Socket AM2+) -186 (Black Edition 970 Socket AM3). Mindja I want a processor for gaming while I have a poo poo ton of browser tabs/windows open...

What IS the AMD equivalent of Core i5-i7 anyway? Socket compatibilities have been why I've stuck with AMD...

Currently using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane (Socket AM2) on a Socket AM2/AM2+/"AM3 Ready" motherboard. (My computer thinks it's a 5050e, and Core Temp thinks it's a 5050B... that's nonexistent... unless I've been looking at the wrong box this whole time.) Stock heatsink and fan btw.

P.S. Are there Socket AM3 boards that are NOT AM2/AM2+ backwards compatible?

I play Crysis maxed at 1080p maxed with Chrome open in the background with normally about 6-7 tabs on an Athlon II X4 620(no L3 cache, sadly bought after they finally took it off completely instead of just locking it). I get closer to 30-45 FPS than 45-60, so if you're a MUST BE OVER 60 AAAARGH kinda gamer, your idea is better, but you can even go a little lower if you're fine with sub 60 frame rates.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Are there any good soundcards priced below $50? I've never bothered going beyond onboard sound before and am pretty horrified when looking online and seeing sound cards at the same price points as top line video cards.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Are there any good soundcards priced below $50? I've never bothered going beyond onboard sound before and am pretty horrified when looking online and seeing sound cards at the same price points as top line video cards.

None really worth buying if you already have onboard 5.1.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Asus Xonar cards are very reasonably priced. If you use headphones the Xonar DG is exceptionally good value, has a built in headphone amp and supports Dolby Headphone virtual surround, which married with a good set of phones sounds better than 'proper' 5.1 headsets.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

seregrail7 posted:

None really worth buying if you already have onboard 5.1.

If this isn't an option, grab an Audigy 2 ZS on eBay for cheap and use it with the daniel_k drivers. And when you connect to your receiver (if you're using one), this and this will let you connect via digital coax using the digital-out jack. Works perfectly with Windows 7, and I get all the fancy surround modes with games that support it

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Lilac posted:

The logitech G9/G9x mice have turned me off razer products forever.

This makes no sense. Why would a Logitech mouse turn you off of Razer products forever?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Speaking of soundcards, I figured this would be a good place to ask - are there any soundcards below $100 (way below $100 if possible!) with MIDI input? A good USB/MIDI interface costs about $50, so I figure I might as well get a soundcard out of the deal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mooktastical posted:

This makes no sense. Why would a Logitech mouse turn you off of Razer products forever?

I assume he means "so much better I wouldn't consider Razer again."

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
I recently bought Crysis during the Steam sale and have a question, is there a way to switch crouch to a toggle instead of having to hold the button down? I didn't see anything on the options

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just bought a mini wireless keyboard trackpad thing, I hope it enhances my PC from the sofa experience a little bit. I am still holding onto that dream...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I bought myself a Logitech Cordless Desktop LX310 Laser wireless mouse + keyboard combo since I was getting tired of my mouse and keyboard getting tangled in with my DVD drive and my 360 controller's USB cords. It's really nice, especially since it's one receiver for both objects. The main thing I like is that Mouse 3 and Mouse 4 are on top of Mouse 0 and Mouse 1, meaning I can use the same fingers as I use to left and right click to hit them. The keyboard also allows you to toggle the F keys between normal F keys and programmable macro keys with the hit of a button. It's not a serious gaming setup, but it's a great midway point between a general use setup and a gaming one, especially considering the $45 pricetag I picked it up for.

EDIT: Oh, and the mouse wheel tilts for horizontal scrolling. It's totally bitchin'.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 3, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just bought a mini wireless keyboard trackpad thing, I hope it enhances my PC from the sofa experience a little bit. I am still holding onto that dream...

I've been looking for one of these. Link it if you wouldn't mind.

I've been wanting something like a wireless version of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169019 except about a thousand times less gaudy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Node posted:

I've been looking for one of these. Link it if you wouldn't mind.

I've been wanting something like a wireless version of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169019 except about a thousand times less gaudy.
Well just so you know, I didn't grab it to actually play games, just to control my PC in those annoying segments between games where you have to use the Windows desktop. It's this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I play Crysis maxed at 1080p maxed with Chrome open in the background with normally about 6-7 tabs on an Athlon II X4 620(no L3 cache, sadly bought after they finally took it off completely instead of just locking it). I get closer to 30-45 FPS than 45-60, so if you're a MUST BE OVER 60 AAAARGH kinda gamer, your idea is better, but you can even go a little lower if you're fine with sub 60 frame rates.
Thanks for the comparison, but I'm still wondering what the AMD equivalent to Intel Core i5-i7 is supposed to be.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Chortles posted:

Thanks for the comparison, but I'm still wondering what the AMD equivalent to Intel Core i5-i7 is supposed to be.

There really is none in terms of price-to-performance ratio at that price point. However, a $100 Athlon II is enough for most gamers.

:siren: NEW RELEASES THIS WEEK :siren:

NightSky, a new puzzle-platformer by Nifflas (Knytt, Saira)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Seconding the recommendation for a Xonar DG sound card if you want to use a good set of headphones with the headphone amp and Dolby headphone. It sounds awesome with my set of Sennheiser HD515 headphones. IMO, a ~$30 Xonar DG sound card coupled with Sennheiser HD515 or HD555 headphones is great for excellent gaming audio on a budget.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Might be a pretty broad question, but I'm putting a gaming pc together.

Last thing I'll be buying is an x64 windows 7 OS. Can I get it cheap anywhere? I know there's a student discount avaliable, but that just seems to be for upgrade editions, and I've lost the box (with disc in) and key for my old PC's legit XP.

What's my best move? I'm in the UK if that makes any appreciable difference

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Check out the Logitech MXAir. I couldn't imagine couch-PCing without it anymore. Very nice if you're just surfing the web or controlling a mediaplayer with it, since it can act like a remote control. Not optimal for gaming though, since it's got less buttons than your typical gaming mouse.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

meme posted:

Might be a pretty broad question, but I'm putting a gaming pc together.

Last thing I'll be buying is an x64 windows 7 OS. Can I get it cheap anywhere? I know there's a student discount avaliable, but that just seems to be for upgrade editions, and I've lost the box (with disc in) and key for my old PC's legit XP.

What's my best move? I'm in the UK if that makes any appreciable difference

If you are a student, you might want check if your university is part of the MSDNAA. I got a Win7 product key through for free with no hassle at all, other than asking for my account to be activated.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Mooktastical posted:

Personally, every razer product I've ever used (including the Boomslang 2000 that I had to RMA 3 times) has basically fallen apart in my hands. This includes:

- A few original Boomslangs, the button switches would randomly self-press after a few weeks of use.
- A diamondback where the goddamned thumb button fell apart after 3 or so months.
- A Microsoft Habu (razer design/manufactured) where I literally couldn't even install the software without first applying a firmware update.
- A Mamba that would randomly stop tracking ever since I owned it. After a week the wheel started to constantly squeak, and after a few months the battery would last maybe 2 hours tops.
- A Deathadder that I'm convinced was manufactured by fisher-price. This barbie piece of poo poo had a right mouse button switch that busted and would remain depressed, as well as always doing the infamous "randomly stop tracking for < 1 second" thing that my Mamba was doing.

Razer generally has decent enough design, but the build quality is pure poo poo.

Meanwhile I have a Logitech MX518 that is probably going to outlive me, as well as a g9x and a G500 that I've had since release and have not given me a single bit of trouble. Not to mention my wonderful G13 that has spoiled me to PC gaming in a way that no controller ever will.

When people talk about PC gaming and ask me for advice on mice, I always recommend Logitech devices. The build quality is so goddamned good I could pass them down to my children as family heirlooms.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Are soundcards worth it? Most motherboards come with onboard audio, and I'm not an audiophile and would rather use the money saved on a soundcard for a part that really matters, like a videocard.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Starhawk64 posted:

Are soundcards worth it? Most motherboards come with onboard audio, and I'm not an audiophile and would rather use the money saved on a soundcard for a part that really matters, like a videocard.

Not really, unless you do a lot of hardcore audio work. The best (and most cost-effective) audio setup for PC gaming, I find, is onboard audio + a good pair of Sennheisers or similarly quality headphones.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For PC gaming, no. A dedicated sound card is not worth it except as a last-resort backup in case your onboard audio fails without somehow bringing down the whole motherboard with it.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

There really is none in terms of price-to-performance ratio at that price point. However, a $100 Athlon II is enough for most gamers.
Although based on A Fancy 400 Pounds' answer, I might go with the higher-priced Denebs for that L3 cache and higher-framerates-while-doing-stupid-poo poo (like, say, 143 tabs open in one Firefox window... seriously, I've done that).

*Reads about the new Sandy Bridge (LGA 2011?) CPUs*

Bit Tech posted:

The Sandy Bridge lineup gives us some of the easiest conclusions to write that we've ever come across: the new range of Intel CPUs renders almost every other processor redundant and pointless.
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

Part of my nerd-rage here being because I'm more used to AMD-style "backwards compatibility" with CPU sockets, am on an AMD motherboard/CPU, so I can't justify this to myself unless they both die or something.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm looking to update my PC this year since its been roughly three years since getting it. Heres what I'm rocking:

-Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.40Ghz
-4 gigs of RAM
-8800GT 512mb

It still runs solidly for Bad Company 2 and Crysis but should I really think about getting anything? I know I can OC the processor and probably throw in some RAM but am I still good on my video card? I used to be knowledgeable with cards from 8800 and before, but now they're getting crazy and I have no idea whats the next logical step "up" from an 8800 GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm looking to update my PC this year since its been roughly three years since getting it. Heres what I'm rocking:

-Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.40Ghz
-4 gigs of RAM
-8800GT 512mb

It still runs solidly for Bad Company 2 and Crysis but should I really think about getting anything? I know I can OC the processor and probably throw in some RAM but am I still good on my video card? I used to be knowledgeable with cards from 8800 and before, but now they're getting crazy and I have no idea whats the next logical step "up" from an 8800 GT.

Bolded the key bit - is there any point in spending money if you're happy with it now? Also what resolution are you playing at?

Edit: You don't really need more RAM either, 4GB is fine.

• Locked thread