Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Graviton v2 posted:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

e: That was exteamly low content wasnt it, Wall-E is on iPlayer if you got kids who havent seen that, its real a good movie, if I recall correctly I actually teared up at some point when I watched it first *cough*fag*cough*

BBC3 has been on a bit of a Pixar kick lately, showing a bunch of their films and shorts, and culminating in an hour long look at the 25 best bits of the company's history tonight at 9. Should prove fairly interesting, and a shockingly good way to use BBC3. I'm actually looking forward to something that channel is showing for the first time in years. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x9cdm

Then again I am a huge Pixar fanboy, so it's possibly the sort of thing that appeals to me and not many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Old Madeyes posted:

I didn't find it funny or clever at all. I don't know how much further Lucas (and I guess Walliams, but I was never keen on him anyway) can sink. I'm not a big lefty curmudgeon or anything but it's beyond me how two well educated men can sit in makeup getting blacked up and not realise that maybe there's something a bit off about their sketches. Actually, yeah it's because they're paid a lot, but what a pair of wankers.

It's a real shame that it was Little Britain that had their career take off (hurf) because Planet Rock Profiles was genuinely funny and relatively clever.

Also Pete Postlethwait died today, of cancer. I guess it's true when they say that once you've had it, you never get rid of it. (he had testicular cancer in 1990).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Reminder that just as things as getting back to normal after all that xmas poo poo, the big fat quiz of the year is on tonight.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Houdini posted:

The Christmas episode was all right. The Dog is Dead scene was really funny, and there were a few other bits that made me laugh. I thought it was a one-off like That Peter Kay Thing though. It already felt like it'd run out of airport jokes by the second episode.

Has anyone made a .gif of Dog is Dead yet?

The parts of the show that weren't obnoxious racial stereotypes were fairly funny. Unfortunately some of my family found Matt Lucas' black woman impression to be the height of comedy and there's just no response to that sort of thing. Like, if you're not of that ethnicity you're not allowed to think it's offensive.

Tom Baker's narration was the best part of Little Britain anyway.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Graviton v2 posted:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

e: That was exteamly low content wasnt it, Wall-E is on iPlayer if you got kids who havent seen that, its real a good movie, if I recall correctly I actually teared up at some point when I watched it first *cough*fag*cough*

They're repeating it on BBC3/HD later this week, which is useful as I forgot to record it on NY's day. :allears:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I have to say, I heartily approve of Corrie highlighting the plight of sexy god bothering lesbians. Good on you chaps.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Still not enough to make me watch corrie

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Reminder that just as things as getting back to normal after all that xmas poo poo, the big fat quiz of the year is on tonight.

I'm going to watch it, but the people on it and the time it's on at aren't promising at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person who really loving hates Silent Witness?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Channel 4 are starting a topical comedy news discussion program.

In other news More 4 will not be renewing their licence to show The Daily Show.

Whoopee.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I do not like Alan Carr or Michael McIntyre and I miss Winkleman and Mitchell.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

A bumming.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This isn't very good.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LE0N posted:

Starting to get a morbid curiosity about this only way is essex show. Kinda want to watch an episode filled with these barely sentient humanoids but ill probably just feel really nasty after it.

The Only Way is Essex disturbs me in so many ways. Girls in absurd levels of make-up, spouting not-quite-real-not-quite-scripted lines about things that may-have-but-not-really happened. Jokes that are supposed to natural one-liners being dropped with all the timing and flow of an autocue.

It's hit the exact dead centre of the uncanny valley. And from the wrong side

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think most of the people involved are too ashamed to put any effort into making it realistic.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone know exwctly when they are junking channel one et al?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Awwwww, kitty.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Good episode of Buzzcocks tonight.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trickjaw posted:

Anyone know exwctly when they are junking channel one et al?

Supposedly first of Feb, but I can't remember seeing anything definite.

Buzzcocks was pretty good, but I can't help feeling that they seem a little cramped recently, with some of the guests barely being on screen.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
That 10 o clock news program looks pretty good. Anything with Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell is, in my book, amazing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goatface posted:

Supposedly first of Feb, but I can't remember seeing anything definite.

Thank you, can't find anything to confirm or deny.

10 o clock show looks good but c4 has burned me so often

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Bit of a random time to bring it up, as I'm not sure it's been on over Christmas.

But is anybody else a fan of Pointless? Such a fun idea for a gameshow, and the cheapness of it really adds to the charm. It's like a thinking man's Family Fortunes.

It's a bit unfortunate that it overlaps with Come Dine With me, so I often miss the final round. to be fair it's the weakest of the show.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Just saw the trailer for the new series of Being Human and I know it's sort of a "Hey, we're coming back, remember us?" thing but they could have dropped some hints or placed something in there to at least give some indication of what is going to happen.

Dammit, Merrick is back and will probably carve poo poo up and they now live in the country and I want to know how this affects things because goddamit, you know what, I want the series now on DVD I don't want to wait anymore.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
DAT BABBY GONNA DIE!

(watchin' eastenders on iplayer and commentin' like it's live)

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I just listened to the Archers on iplayer.

Dissapointed that Nigel didn't wake up in 1963. Is he in a coma, mad, dead or back in time?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Local Group Bus posted:

Just saw the trailer for the new series of Being Human and I know it's sort of a "Hey, we're coming back, remember us?" thing but they could have dropped some hints or placed something in there to at least give some indication of what is going to happen.

The trailers for Being Human never actually show footage from the episodes. This is last years main one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgoD8UpfnI, there were other shorter ones too, one for each character.

Saying that, I also want to watch it all now. Why do I have to wait :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ben Soosneb posted:

Bit of a random time to bring it up, as I'm not sure it's been on over Christmas.

But is anybody else a fan of Pointless? Such a fun idea for a gameshow, and the cheapness of it really adds to the charm. It's like a thinking man's Family Fortunes.

Me and my girlfriend watch it whenever it's on. I even series linked it on Sky+! I do like trying to work out which is the lowest answer.

It is a bit baffling at times though, 100 people knew parmesan was a cheese but only 97 that the pound was the currency of the UK.

Dennis Nedry
Feb 13, 2008
oh geez

Ben Soosneb posted:

It's a bit unfortunate that it overlaps with Come Dine With me, so I often miss the final round. to be fair it's the weakest of the show.

Most evenings when I get in from college I play along with a mate of mine over messenger. I'm hopeless at it but it still has me hooked. It definitly has a weird charm to it, especially with the banter between Armstrong and Richard and the contestants.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think that one of the most charming things is Armstrong struggling not to give away that it's obviously a correct answer before the countdown bar thing starts going down.

That and if you don't make the final you get a second chance just makes the whole thing sort of nice.

Add in that playing along is really fun and you've got a great little show. Much better than putting up with the horrible CJ on eggheads.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I dislike Frankie Boyle and turned buzzcocks off halfway through.

On the other hand Live Stargazing was fun in a whimsical way. My friends complained about elements of it like Brian Cox or the touch screen but I thought it added to it's charm.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
It actually made me want to go and buy a telescope (I love space!). The shot of Jupiter and its moons was incredible, Johnathan Ross seemed underwhelmed though (and he has a fricking observatory the rich, spoilt gently caress!).

And I usually like Dara but I thought he was a bit overbearing on Brian Cox, who I like to just talk at me about space. Didn't realise Cox was the scientific consultant for Sunshine either, the man has fingers in many pies for sure.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ben Soosneb posted:

Much better than putting up with the horrible CJ on eggheads.

He really is a gurning gargoyle of a prick isn't he ?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Ben Soosneb posted:

I think that one of the most charming things is Armstrong struggling not to give away that it's obviously a correct answer before the countdown bar thing starts going down.

Better is when he spins it out when the answer's obviously bollocks.

I can honestly say that in the last couple of years playing along with Pointless with my housemate has joined daily two-hour sessions of Pro Evo as one of the highlights of an otherwise pretty dull time. We're really good at it too, I'd love to go on.

Unfortunately I think the show has a bit of a limited shelf life. Once you've done some of the great categories (scorers of 100+ Premier League goals, first names of US Presidents {we loving killed that one, thank you very much Millard Fillmore}), you'll end up with increasingly obscure or boring ones.

Also if you watch carefully, when Alexander introduces Richard they either have a stock clip of him acknowledging the audience, or he always nods and smiles in precisely the same way.

Sion posted:

Channel 4 are starting a topical comedy news discussion program.

In other news More 4 will not be renewing their licence to show The Daily Show.

Whoopee.

Goddamnit, I hated it when Comedy Central dropped Colbert, since last time I checked you can't watch it online from here. If you're a mark for US politics like me it kicks the arse off anything we have but Newswipe, which is a different beast. It should be compulsory viewing for British satirists, but they all watch the much more anodyne, obvious Daily Show instead.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 4, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Buzzcocks was good this week. Just going to show that Boyle is only really suited to panel shows.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Personally I think Pointless is a bit poo poo, I can't really put my finger on why though. I think the questions are poo poo, and there just seems to be something off about making a show about exploiting the ignorance of the common person, although I suppose all quiz shows are like that to some extent.

Also I'd love to have a Life On Ambridge, with Nigel going back in time, that would have been amazing. I've only been listening to The Archers for about 15 months now, and in that time Nigel hasn't really had to do anything so I never noticed him. However in the past couple of months when he popped up he won me over with his dopey toff charms and become my favourite character by far, such a shame they got rid of him:(

With the whole 60th Anniversary thing I tried to read the official message boards and the twitter feeds they keep going on about. The message boards seem to be full of people who hate the show, and every character, and cannot stop posting about how much they hate everything about it all week long. I thought Radio 4 was supposed to be for "intelligent people" (I know I am talking about a soap opera here), why do these people think making up witty nicknames like Pipsqueak for Pip is the height of comedy? And on twitter you just have dozens of people making twitter posts, pretending to be characters in the show, whilst the episode is airing. Is this middle class larping?

Also tonight I watched the BBC4 documentary on the life of Bob Monkhouse, and then the one about the history of Light Entertainment. I had no idea Bob Monkhouse was so prolific back in the day, I only ever remember him as the host of Wipeout, I had no idea he was a "proper" comedian and all that. I had never even heard of The Golden Shot, which seemed to be such a massive show in the 70s or 80s.

It was interesting to see how light entertainment evolved, and I had one moment where they introduce Brian Conley and I had absolutely no idea who he was until it dawned on me that he was the person my six year old self thought was the funniest man alive. The program also highlighted the career of Michael Barrymore, and I remember watching a couple of episodes of Strike It Lucky on Challenge a while back. The format was poo poo, and whilst the Celebrity Come Dine With Me revealed that Barrymore is an enormous twat in real life, I think he was probably the greatest gameshow host I think I've ever seen. The format for Strike it Rich/Lucky was always poo poo, but put Barrymore in front of an audience and allow him to interact with regular people and he was absolutely amazing.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Having a gap of a few years between the two probably helped I think. Personally I saw Life on Mars as 'good' TV and Ashes to Ashes as 'bubblegum' TV - it was reasonably entertaining for a reasonable amount of time. Kinda like the difference between The Wire and Ugly Betty except it had the same characters in it.

State of Play next?

Yeah, that's about right. I mean, it wasn't offensive to watch or anything, it was just lacking. And the more I think about it, the more I dislike what the ending does to the LoM ending, and how disappointingly pedestrian the "answer" is, when the LoM ending seemed like it was kind of on to something... like, bigger. At least for me. I mean, the A2A ending is pretty big, but in a more conventional, literal-minded way. I'm not sure how to put it.

Anyway, I will kinda disagree with you about Ugly Betty, because it's bubblegum but it's exceedingly sharp and well-done bubblegum, at least the first couple seasons of it.

Yeah, State of Play next, once it gets in. (Finally resorted to borrowing Netflix mailer envelopes from a friend because I can't find mine—I haven't even sent in a disc since before my last move.)

Psybro posted:

the much more anodyne, obvious Daily Show instead.

Yeah, I'll admit Colbert is the funnier show, and the Daily Show is more anodyne—but interesting word choice, because that's exactly what I watch it for, as an anodyne. Like I said earlier, it's therapy. It's comforting.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 4, 2011

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psybro posted:

Also if you watch carefully, when Alexander introduces Richard they either have a stock clip of him acknowledging the audience, or he always nods and smiles in precisely the same way.

He nods and smiles in precisely the same way. Watch him when he tells a joke, because he does it then too.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

"OMG liek the Earth will go bang, fire and brimstone will fall if the planets line up, in 2012!!!11"

"Can I just make clear, the Myans didnt have a clue, they were useless."

Shut up Briain, stop ruining my science :argh:

-

I love how everyone missed the point about sending in 'YOUR OWN' pictures of the sky!

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 4, 2011

Old Madeyes
Feb 26, 2006

Did I just hear Robert Webb voicing an advert for Cushelle toilet roll? :/

Also is Channel 4 going to just run the same US sitcoms on continuous loops every morning forever? It seems like since they ditched the Big Breakfast they've been doing Raymond, Frasier and Friends in some combination. I suppose maybe if I had a proper job that kept decent hours I wouldn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Friends is being axed from C4 and E4 sometime this year, not sure exactly when though. It will probably just be replaced with something comparable like How I Met Your Mother