Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Oh my god I hate when people do that. They act like your name is some magic phrase of power which, upon being known, renders you helpless.

Also question for the lady retail goons! Which do you hate more- being called "Miss" or being called "Ma'am"? I won't even bring in the "young lady" wildcard.

I don't think I've ever been called miss. I do get ma'am quite a bit though, and it doesn't bug me. I did get madam once, which I thought was hilarious. That was from a fellow coworker though. He got 'Good Sir' back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
We have these stupid vests we have to wear that say "Ask me, I'm here to help!" on the backs. Walking along once I hear someone saying "Ask me! ask me!" behind me, and ignore it of course (I didn't even know what it said on the back of the vest), until after a few more times I turn to see what's going on, then find out she's trying to talk to me...

uptown
May 16, 2009

Big Taint posted:

Hey, me too. What store are you at? I'm Store 80, Powell St. SF. West Coast Flagship!

Store 36, West Edmonton Mall.

We're the only store in our city that carries Trend, which led to people being really irritated with me when I worked in Hennes - no, there's nothing in "the back," we keep all the product we'd like to sell on the floor, thanks, and no, I know for a fact that no other store carries this hideous top that you MUST HAVE. I can explain this in the nicest way and still have people pissed at me, as though I control this.

I work in Divided now, which is right by the fitting rooms. I can't believe the number of people who don't bother to look around before demanding where the fitting rooms are. Ugh.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
One thing that has annoyed me lately;

Now that I'm a supervisor I'm often put on one of the registers at the cigarette kiosk so that I can sell them. People are used to getting someone who is too young to sell them or hasn't been trained for that, and as such a fair few say with almost the exact wording each time:

'You can't sell me cigarettes because you aren't old enough, right?'

Actually, I'm 24. I have not looked like I was under 18 for many years. I'm almost never asked for ID in nightclubs or buying alcohol. Is there some sort of special customer retardedness that means they can't tell the different between a kid in their late teens and someone in their mid 20's? I can assure you I don't look that young, as much as I'd like to be.

Also I hate customers who don't have any form of ID and decide to abuse me because I won't risk my job and a $1000+ fine by selling to them when they do in this case look like they are 17 years old at best.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

SpartanIV posted:

No, the masculine version is "young man".

I'm 23, jackass :argh:

I once had 'good boy' when I took a trolley out for someone into the car park. I was 21 at the time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dog Blogs Man posted:

Actually, I'm 24. I have not looked like I was under 18 for many years. I'm almost never asked for ID in nightclubs or buying alcohol. Is there some sort of special customer retardedness that means they can't tell the different between a kid in their late teens and someone in their mid 20's? I can assure you I don't look that young, as much as I'd like to be.

I know what this is like. People can NEVER guess my age, everyone is always off by at least 5 years, but it goes in either direction. When I was 19 I was asked if I was 25 and 15 literally 2 days apart.

I've always thought I looked my age, but apparently I'm the only one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Robins Taley posted:

I just found out today that they don't pay us any extra for working on Christmas, so I'll be making state minimum wage that day. Merry Christmas!

They didn't ask any of us if we wanted to work on Christmas, but they make it well known that we are all expected to work weekends and holidays.

Uh I know I'm really late on this but I'm pretty sure this isn't entirely legal.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

uptown posted:

Store 36, West Edmonton Mall.

We're the only store in our city that carries Trend, which led to people being really irritated with me when I worked in Hennes - no, there's nothing in "the back," we keep all the product we'd like to sell on the floor, thanks, and no, I know for a fact that no other store carries this hideous top that you MUST HAVE. I can explain this in the nicest way and still have people pissed at me, as though I control this.

I work in Divided now, which is right by the fitting rooms. I can't believe the number of people who don't bother to look around before demanding where the fitting rooms are. Ugh.

I hear you, we always have stuff none of the other stores near us have. Doesn't prevent people from making me call to check though! I think the closest store that has Trend is in Beverly Hills. I've gotten pretty good about making a show of checking everywhere for stuff that we don't have, I take them to all the fitting rooms to check the go-backs and all over the department. I basically run them around till they get bored.

My favorite customer move is when they try 15 garments on in front of a mirror that is literally 3 feet away from the entrance to the fitting rooms. And then leave all the poo poo they didn't want in a heap on top of the nearest fixture. :what:

RE: sir/maam/dude/etc., only two get to me: calling me 'guy' and 'friend'. Not sure why I find those two offensive, but they get under my skin.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Also question for the lady retail goons! Which do you hate more- being called "Miss" or being called "Ma'am"? I won't even bring in the "young lady" wildcard.

I'd much rather be called miss or ma'am than sweetie/honey/baby/babe/darling any day. The only person who can ever call me ANY of those is my boyfriend and possibly my mother. It's disgusting to me when a man who looks filthy dirty and is 3x my age is calling me "babe". I hate having to grin and bear it because I know the second I say anything to the customer about it, I lose my job.
I loving hate working retail because I cannot stand kissing rear end.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
One time, after my manager approved something (a return?) and walked off, the customer leaned closer to me and said, "Doesn't hurt when they're nice to look at, eh?"

I didn't feel bad about telling my manager about this later and causing her to shudder, because she was a bitch.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

manguero posted:

One time, after my manager approved something (a return?) and walked off, the customer leaned closer to me and said, "Doesn't hurt when they're nice to look at, eh?"

I didn't feel bad about telling my manager about this later and causing her to shudder, because she was a bitch.

One of my managers (a guy) who I'm actually friends with outside of work, has a fanclub. I am not even kidding when I say that. He has about four or five women who come in, ask me if "the hot manager is here," then get giddy when I say yes/angry when I say no. It's hilarious. I've told him about it, and he thinks I'm making fun of him.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Flavor Bear posted:

Your welcome

I can't believe I did this.

Jumping on the hatred of "young man" as well.
Being shouted to as "Young man! Young man!" from across the store is a good way to guarantee the shittiest service I will ever give anyone.

I was once "young man"-ed by a horrid bitch on my second day at a gas station whose inventory I wasn't completely familiar with yet, because I spent the first day in the office, doing all the dumb training paperwork and poo poo.
I was in the middle of doing the cigarette count when some woman asked me if we carried brake fluid and I directed her to the endcap where the automotive crap was, saying "I'm not really sure if we even carry it, but if we have it it'll be there."

30 seconds later she came back with the "young man" bullshit bitching me out because she couldn't find it. Then she asked me how long I had been working there and I told her two days and she said I "should be more familiar with [our] stock!"
Then I of course walked her over and found it immediately, because like all gas station everywhere, the brake fluid was right next to the motor oil.

Oh yeah, she was on her phone the whole time, too.

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 2, 2011

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

RE: Name badges.

I have a pile of different name badges in my locker. I pick a new one each day. I made it almost a month of not being myself before anyone noticed. Unfortunately I got called out by management after I got cocky and tried to be Veronica for a few days.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Mr. Toad posted:

I have a pile of different name badges in my locker. I pick a new one each day. I made it almost a month of not being myself before anyone noticed. Unfortunately I got called out by management after I got cocky and tried to be Veronica for a few days.

That's awesome. Name tags serve no purpose other than to allow customers to be more irritating.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So I had to deal with one of our known thieves today. She came in with 3 used pans and was returning all of them. All of them were rusty/scratched/dirty and smelled way too strong (Indian lady, they use mighty strong spices!).

So I return these 3 items for a little over $100... and she buys the most random poo poo to replace it. Of course she returned it all without the receipt so she got full price back (when she likely bought it all with a 20% off coupon in the first place in store credit / towards the exchange.

Then she also used a coupon on every item she purchased. And brought out a receipt from a month ago where she'd paid for everything but didn't have coupons for 6 of the items. And on a few of the items she'd used a $5 off coupon... but she would save more if she used a 20%.

So I had to return like 20 items and repurchase something like 17 of them...... and also add a bunch of other items onto it... which were also all purchased with coupons. The entire transaction ended up taking like 20 minutes because she kept realizing she had another coupon or wanted to do something else that would get her more money back.

She ended up only owing like $2... so she paid with a store credit that was $11-12. If the store credit is under $10 they just get cash back. So she returned 3 pans, did a ton of adjustments, bought a ton of random stuff, and was given $9-$10 for her troubles.

But I did get good news that she is going to be banned from the store soon because we have enough evidence of her stealing now.

Edit: I've not dealt with this lady before myself. But apparently she's really awful to everyone. I can't remember if I posted this when it happened, but a while back she complained at one of our employees, and told her: "I'VE SEEN YOU IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!" in response to her not being allowed to do something... I don't remember what it was, but geez.

I have once stopped her from grabbing a handful of used coupons before. She was walking past the back of my register bay and saw the other register had left out a fat stack of coupons that they didn't mark off as used... She dashes over and grabbed at them. I saw it and stopped her. I said they were all used and she goes: "IT DOESN'T MATTER I CAN STILL USE THEM YOU loving LIAR!"

She's never done anything else to me since then. I somewhat think people are afraid of me sometimes. I've had several times when problematic people just WON'T push anything with me.

Also a note on nametags... A friend of mine is a supervisor at the mall Burger King and wore a black girl's nametag for several days. I remember he enjoyed when some customer said: "I think you're wearing the wrong nametag." And his response was: "No, this is mine. That's my name." And the customer looked real worried and was all, "OH I'M SO SORRY!"

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2011

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
'Well done.'

loving 'Well Done.' is the most patronising phrase you can ever utter to a retail salesperson. We do something well because we do it every day, often hundreds of times. It may be impressive to you, but it's mind-numbing to us.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
So at a certain major consumer electronics store (that I may or may not work at) something pretty annoying happened on New Year's Day.

Around noon I heard a slow loud sound that I was certain was coming from a shelf of fragile objects being knocked over. Nope.

A midsize SUV drove through a concrete pylon protecting the front door, 2 glass/plastic doorways, a row of shopping carts, 2 customers, and onto the customer service desk.

One of the customers presumably returning an iPad or something was pinned between the car and the desk, and the whole store ran to see what happened (probably like 100 people). An old lady swings her door open, beaming and proclaiming that she's alright, everything's ok. Except, you know, the customer under her car and the terrified CSR people who were nearly killed. She claimed that her car accelerator stuck, but everyone basically assumed it was either bad old person driving or hangover from NYE. I may or may not have pics and video but I'd rather not risk getting fired even though I am horribly underpaid.

Happy new year!

PS - the store opened today and pretended nothing had happened.

Apocalypse Please fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 3, 2011

red19fire
May 26, 2010

MaxDuo posted:

:words:

I have to agree, Indian people tend to be the worst customers. Every single time I had to deal with them, it was the same thing: make a ridiculous low-ball offer, then be personally offended when I won't accept it. Maybe it's similar to the bartering culture in Thailand? There things are purposefully overpriced, and you're supposed to bargain to get to the "right" price. Except, our stuff is already priced as low as we can, so there is no "bargaining".

This one guy was PISSED that I wouldn't take $1200 cash (no tax!) for a brand-new $3000 treadmill and include free delivery. He's even more pissed when the manager agrees, it's below our cost.

My coworker used to work at Macy's luggage department, and it was the same story. Offer $200 (Cash! No Tax!) for a $700 luggage set, then complain to the manager when he won't honor it.

---

Although the nastiest customer ever was a Hasidic Jewish woman. She and her husband came in, and I gave them the typical sales routine. She interrupts me after like two sentences to ask a dumb question, and says I don't seem knowledgeable enough when I answer. Yeah, I've been working here, selling the same treadmills for a year and a half and I don't know poo poo about them. Anyway, she snottily decides that they're going to wait for the manager to be available, and dismisses me with a wave of her hand.

Well, the manager is doing demos for a local gym owner. He's demonstrating and running down every feature of every commercial treadmill we have. It takes an hour and a half before it's queen bitch's turn. He gives the exact same answer I did to her inane question. They end up buying the cheapest treadmill we have.

Meanwhile, I'm in the back :smug:ing my face off as hard as I can. When she's finally at the register, she's trying to save face by saying "I didn't mean to say that you're not knowledgeable but..." and trying to act like she's the nicest person ever. Actually, yes you did, and you still paid full price for your troubles.

---

One guy called the treadmill manufacturer to try to get a treadmill at cost, and they said to pay retail like everyone else. He even went so far as to call the actual plant where they're produced to try to convince... someone to sell him a treadmill. They all said the same thing: pay retail price like everyone else. He then called us and DEMANDED that we sell him a treadmill at cost, because he didn't want to give us ANY profit.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 3, 2011

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Please, somebody, kill me now.

RadioShack operates kiosks in malls and Targets. I'm being moved from my store where I'm the most experienced salesman to a kiosk in a Target, since "the kiosks badly need help". So.. we'll screw my store in the short-term by punching a big hole in the schedule since they just lost a keyholder, and I get screwed through a 5 times longer commute for zero extra pay. YES!

They don't know I have an interview on Tuesday, but I have to report to work at Target on Monday.

who wants chicken
Mar 2, 2009

Dave, the point of the story is... let's see, hernia, wild animals, Nixon... hell, it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I could help you out.

who wants chicken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 6, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
red19fire:

Regarding bartering, it's actually we silly Westerners (Europe and the US) who are in the minority with the notion of fixed price goods so it's far from just Thailand where that applies.

When I visit an asian country I don't wander around expecting to be given a fair price first time (although plenty of tourists do so get ripped the gently caress off, but that's their own stupid fault). As a westerner you're expected to pay a bit more as everyone knows you can afford to, but the initial price can be 2-3 times the actual value of the item, and this is why you get massive lowballing going on.

That said, if I can adapt to asian pricing culture for a 2 week stay then anyone coming to live in the west who refuses to accept fixed price goods is just being a dick on purpose to try and scam you. What's worse is that they're relying on you treating them as a lesser person ("they don't know any better" etc) to get away with it.

That's what pisses me off. YES they loving do know better and they're trying to goad you into accepting racist stereotypes to save $10, while complaining that you're being racist by refusing.

Just remember that these people are in the minority, and an rear end in a top hat is still an rear end in a top hat whatever their family origins. What to show them respect and fair treatment? Tell them to gently caress off when they pull this poo poo, just like you would anyone else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Name tags: Generally I clip my name tag on my belt, but when a customer refuses to acknowledge I don't work for the store and as such wont know anything about sales, even after I pull my badge out and tell them "Look, does this say 'Rite Aid/CVS/Walgreens/Insert store here'?". Then they want to see the store manager, who just shrugs and says "He doesn't work here, he wont know about X"

Outside of that no one looks at it. They all call me young man cause I'm the youngest guy in any given work crew by a good 20 years :saddowns:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mr. Toad posted:

Back in college, I used to work at Ryan's Pig Trough Buffet. The name tags were all blank white plastic things and there were sheets of black letters near the register so if anyone forgot their tag, they could quickly make a new one. One of the other cooks and I had probably a good 10-15 tags between us including but not limited to:

Big D
B. Pimpin and L. Pimpin (when we wanted to match)
Dannyboy
Claude
Weezy
Waldo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

Name tags: Generally I clip my name tag on my belt, but when a customer refuses to acknowledge I don't work for the store and as such wont know anything about sales, even after I pull my badge out and tell them "Look, does this say 'Rite Aid/CVS/Walgreens/Insert store here'?". Then they want to see the store manager, who just shrugs and says "He doesn't work here, he wont know about X"

Outside of that no one looks at it. They all call me young man cause I'm the youngest guy in any given work crew by a good 20 years :saddowns:

I don't get it, you spend time at a store looking like you work there but you don't work there?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I don't get it, you spend time at a store looking like you work there but you don't work there?

I remodel stores. I work in the store, just not for the store. Move shelves around, put product up and the tags, give the managers a heads up on whats moving where. Changing security on the shelves, switching out signs. Stuff like that companies are willing to pay for instead of getting their own workers to do it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

red19fire posted:

Maybe it's similar to the bartering culture in Thailand? There things are purposefully overpriced, and you're supposed to bargain to get to the "right" price.

I've mentioned it once before that I know in India they do a lot of bargaining and stuff... but the thing that I don't get about it is no one else seems to try the bartering crap. In my Spanish 1 class a while back our teacher was talking about how in his country and in most others people go to the market not only to buy things.. but the experience. They enjoy haggling and working w/ the guy to get the best price from the original stupidly expensive one.

Yet I've never had any Hispanic (or person of any other culture) EVER try to barter the price. The Indians I encounter w/ it always do it aggressively and angrily (at Office Max I had a pack of paper thrown at me for not giving it to the guy for buy 1 get 1 free). Humorously, while Indians are the ones that try the most to change the prices... white people who as far as I can tell are native to our country do it the second most. So what's their excuse....?

---

Anyway, speaking of. I had a lady come to my register yesterday with some big wooden thing for the bathroom (I honestly don't remember what it was).

:raise: - Lady.
:v: - Me.

:v: - Hey there, how are you?
:raise: - Um, I found this in the bath section. It was the only one. And I was looking at it. And I noticed that, if you look at the other side, it looks like it's been opened before.
:v: - I can check it if you wa-
:raise: - I think it's been returned before. Because it looks like it was opened.
:v: - Well if it is we could order it, otherwise I could just open it to check it out *turning box over*
:raise: - Well if you look here *points at 1 piece of tape that was cut* you can see it's been opened.
:v: - *looking at tape, then looking at 9 other places that are fully taped with no problems* It doesn't look like it's be-
:raise: - It was the only one. But I wanted it so-
:v: - But if you look at it only one piece of tape is torn, all these other places look like they're taped perfectly fine. I don't think it's been opened.
:raise: - But it might have because the tape is all torn! See this one here is torn, and this one is bad too. *points to tape in a section where the edge of it is a little roughed up*
:v: - Ma'am, I could just cut the tape open and check it out to see if there's anything wrong with it.
:raise: - Or you COULD just give me a big discount on it so I don't have to pay for something that's probably been opened and returned.
:v: - Look, I can't give you a discount on something because a single piece of tape is slightly torn. If there's actually something wrong with it I can. So unless we cut it open and find something wrong, it's just going to be full price.
:raise: - UGH! Fine, if you're going to be difficult go ahead. But I'm NOT paying full price for something that was RETURNED! :byodame:
:v: - *cutting it open, have to stop the lady from grabbing the knife out of my hand, opens box*
:raise: - *lifts up padded stuff covering and still taped to the wooden thing* Ok... well... it looks like it's ok. SO I guess I'll just get it. :witch: So there BETTER be nothing wrong with it or I'm bringing it back.

Edit: By the way, all of this packaging tape had the look of tape that'd been on there and never removed... You know... the dirtyness that matches the box and anything on it sort of thing? So unless it was opened right after we got the box... there's really no way we could've taped it back up (and for some reason left ~~~~*TORN*~~~~ tape on it).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

I remodel stores. I work in the store, just not for the store. Move shelves around, put product up and the tags, give the managers a heads up on whats moving where. Changing security on the shelves, switching out signs. Stuff like that companies are willing to pay for instead of getting their own workers to do it.

Ah, gotcha. :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mr. Toad posted:

I did this when I worked at Woolies all the time. I deliberately picked the most uncommon names available too. Casper, Frederick, Charles, and my favourite one to wear - Derek.

I also had manager clearance for our back office system too, I went into my employee file and changed my job title to ''King of Woolworths.''

It stayed like that for about a year before my manager noticed it.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I've never had to ask for donations for anything before but I've heard so many horror stories about how angry people get that you're asking them for one measely little dollar. Well we're doing some special thing for the Special Olympics and I am required by the management to ask at the end of every order of someone would like to make a donation to the Special Olympics. It comes in $1, $3, $5, and $10 but I usually only ask if anyone wants to donate a dollar. Most people will just say no, some people will say yes, but this one guy, ugh.

"Sir would you like to donate a dollar to Special Olympics today? You get some free coupo--"
"No offense, but I don't really think they need the money."
"Well that's ok too sir, here's your receipt, have a nice d--"
"Besides, do you know how much money I've donated within the last year? I donated over $1000 to charities last year!!"
"... *still trying to hand over receipt*"
"And I researched it online!! Did you know there's more than 5000 "charity" organizations who are trying to get MY MONEY?!?!"
"... *still trying to give receipt*"
"And I donated to the Salvation Army! And they aren't even on there!!"
"Sir here is your receipt have a nice day."
"*snatches receipt, leaves still saying something about donating*"

I just don't get it. He could've just as easily said no. I understand that some people just love to rant about stupid things, especially here in this area, but really. If you're just going to bitch and whine about donating then why in the hell did you donate in the first place? I'm pretty sure no one is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to donate "thousands" of dollars of YOUR MONEY!!!!!1`111 to reputable organizations.
I don't get it. It was just one dollar. One dollar. Can't buy anything with one dollar.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

silversiren posted:

I don't get it. It was just one dollar. One dollar. Can't buy anything with one dollar.

It's not the "one dollar," it's being besieged daily by group after group and person after person asking for money. Last week on my way to the grocery store, four blocks away, eleven people wanted money from me. I do my best to be courteous to everyone I meet, but enough already. And the litany of "how are you doing todays" and "just so you knows," from clerks who don't care, and are only asking because they're required to... I'd pay a buck in a store to be left alone from the time I entered until I wanted help or cashed out.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Chandrika posted:

It's not the "one dollar," it's being besieged daily by group after group and person after person asking for money. Last week on my way to the grocery store, four blocks away, eleven people wanted money from me. I do my best to be courteous to everyone I meet, but enough already. And the litany of "how are you doing todays" and "just so you knows," from clerks who don't care, and are only asking because they're required to... I'd pay a buck in a store to be left alone from the time I entered until I wanted help or cashed out.

I understand this, but it's just as simple to say no.
Also while I'm required to ask for donations, I really could care less if anyone does or not. I do, however, care how someone is doing when I ask, I don't ask just for the sake of it. :P I wouldn't ask about the donations thing if I didn't have to because people just get so PO'd about it, but I was specifically asked to because one of my managers was watching me and noticed I wasn't.
Ah well.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

MaxDuo posted:

white people who as far as I can tell are native to our country do it the second most. So what's their excuse....?

ugh, yes.

At least when other people do it, it's generally over quick. Most of my enraging experiences over it have been with white, middle aged women.

:byodame: THIS IS DAMAGED GIVE ME A DISCOUNT!

The clothing shop I was at, we didn't really have a policy on damaged goods discounts, it was more of a discretionary thing.

In my original friendly attitude I'd shrug it off and give some kind of discount, but then I slowly started noticing people ruining piles of neatly folded clothing searching for that one DAMAGED ITEM so they could demand a discount on it.

Eventually the conversations turned into this
:byodame: LOOK AT THIS MINOR DAMAGE CAN I GET A DISCOUNT ON IT!?
:haw: (smug overly friendly retail persona) Oh wow, thank you for noticing this! We'll get that taken care of, put new stuff out. We wouldn't want to sell you an imperfect product. *takes item and throws it into a damaged goods bin*
:byodame: but.. but. DISCOUNT!
:haw: Oh don't worry, I'll go get you a non damaged version of that shirt. :smugdog: Sorry about that!

Those moments made my employment almost bearable.

But if you weren't a dick, I'd go the extra mile for you. You need size X of garment Y? Oh we don't have it, but here give me your $25 and we'll send it to you FedEx from another store across the country. Shipping? Oh no don't worry about it, we'll eat the $40 FedEx fare just to make YOU happy! :haw:

less than three fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 4, 2011

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

^^^ This kind of power is the only thing that puts a smile on my face.

A couple today wanted to return a kettle saying it was broken and wouldn't work. Normally that's okay, we can exchange it or return it if it's defective. I looked at their receipt, and the drat thing was bought in 2009.

Me: Uhhhh, I can't take this back, it's way out of our return policy.
Them: But it's broken! It has a two year warranty on it! IT STOPPED WORKING!

I look at the box and god drat it, it says "limited two year warranty" on it. What's worse is it's a store brand so they might actually be able to get something. But they're getting shouty now, so I do what I do best and dump them on a manager.

Then when I'm trying to do my REAL job (registry, woo), the manager comes up and says "I think they keep coming back every two years for kettles. Their last receipt they had it for 18 months... this one they've had for 19."

God... drat it. I can't believe people like that actually exist. I'm pretty sure they didn't get their loving kettle, either, though i wouldn't be surprised considering what people can get away with at my store.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

less than three posted:

(smug overly friendly retail persona)

Haha, nice.

Where I worked, I sort of enjoyed saying, "Oh, sure, my manager will probably be able to damage discount this for you. But it would be non-returnable or -exchangeable." At least half the time their face would crinkle in disgust and they would say, "Oh, I don't want it then," since apparently no one buys anything intending to actually keep it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Chandrika posted:

In the past I generally didn't mind the people in the high street clasping a clip board who'd approach you to talk about charity X. Most of the time I'd stop and talk to them just to be friendly, or genuinely hear them out. I regret doing this though, because now they're becoming much more aggressive. Shortly before Christmas I took my usual trip into the high street and a dozen of them, all working for the same charity would swarm individuals trying to get past, sometimes even cornering them. I had to push a few out of the way just to get by last time.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

My store's assets protection guys are like the :smug:gest cunts ever.

Grats dudes, you get paid $8 an hour to play pretend-cop.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
Apparently some of our employees stole several macbooks and expensive SLR cameras over the past week. Great job guys, now it sucks even more for the rest of us.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I now build computers for a living. It's blue-collar work and I don't know how well of a resume-filler it'll be, depending on how well I can spin it, but it's easy work and I get paid more than I ever did at retail. Plus, it's a full-time job when my retail hours were starting to get slashed again.

That said, it's a contract job so I still work weekends in retail. I think I'm quite possibly insane.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Oh poo poo, I can't believe I didn't search for this thread sooner after it got knocked out of GBS. In any case, I'm still working for the restaurant/theater (will go unnamed because I would really like to not lose the job) after about 8 months or so and not having too much trouble. The one nice thing is that I have absolutely minimal direct customer interaction because my only job is to run food and drinks to tables, and that's pretty much it, the only concerns are when people decide pretty much at the last minute to ask me for something they completely "forgot" to ask the server for on their order.

The pain, though, is that a TON of my coworkers are either meatheads (constantly talks about sports, videogame like Call of Duty or Madden, how hot some chick was, or pot; nothing wrong with any of those individual interests, but annoying to constantly hear nothing but them), or just not interesting whatsoever, which can make shifts remarkably dull given the small size of the building in contrast to the large amount of staff needed. This past weekend basically felt like it was on repeat every shift as things went EXACTLY the same each time, and even when a coworker begged for me to take his shift, I said no because I couldn't stand working another day of this past week.

And that's something that really annoys me, the other workers constantly ask me to take their shifts, 90% of the time at the very last minute to where I'm completely incapable of being ready to do so. Some of them will even try to throw in stuff like "oh I forgot that today was my mom's birthday could you cover my shift that's in two hours".

While I'm obviously getting off a lot better than the other people in the thread who have to constantly deal with retarded and/or insane customers, in my case it's just dealing with coworkers, and most of here treat you like a child if you're at the bottom position, no matter what. At least the managers are good people, especially one who let me get free tickets for a new release on my birthday. :shobon:

e: Oh yeah, and on nametags: for as long as I could remember after I started working there, forgetting your nametag just meant wearing a random replacement for that day, and if you completely lost it, you just needed to pay 3$ to print a new one. Well, I came in one day forgetting mine and expecting this, but no. Apparently, all that never happened, and the actual rule is that if you forget your nametag, you have to buy a new one or get written up. I tell them, that's bullshit and I was never informed of this fact at all despite them trying to, once again, pin me as incompetent like I ignored that part of training, and say I have no choice. Conveniently, it was too busy for them to do it, and I fortunately didn't need to do it, just got off with a warning. Still a crock of bullshit right there.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Apocalypse Please posted:

Apparently some of our employees stole several macbooks and expensive SLR cameras over the past week. Great job guys, now it sucks even more for the rest of us.
Someone in my company got busted for stealing cash (nearly $100K) from our customers and that's going to be enough to keep us from making our profit bonuses. Merry Christmas, dick!