Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
Hour 21 so far, I quit before in this thread but then started again and was back up to 20-30 smokes a day until yesterday. I have decided to quite booze too as I was drinking too much. I like a challenge.

Edit: 3 days in still going great - I'm reading the Allen Carr book and it makes total sense, although I find his style a little dumbed-down.

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Game over. No more of this lovely heavy chest, no more standing out in the freezing cold, no more waking up coughing up horrible alien life forms, no more smelling like an ashtray, no more kicking myself because I can't run as far as I used to.

I'm done with this.

smapdi
Jun 3, 2001
Cancer Merchant
To all of you trying: I wish you the best of luck. It's a bit of an ordeal for a while, but if you stick with it, it really does get much easier.

I haven't had a cigarette for almost a year and a half, and it is magnificent. The thought of smoking a cigarette doesn't even cross my mind anymore. I can be in the same vicinity as someone who's smoking a cigarette and have no desire to smoke one myself.

All the habits I used to associate with smoking have been vanquished as well. I can drive around without craving a smoke, I can have a nice meal without finishing it off with a cigarette, I can get through a workday without smoke breaks. So much good stuff happens. I can breath easier. I can smell stuff. It's great.

Just quit, it'll be the best thing you ever did. You'll feel like a champion for overcoming such a hosed up addiction. As an added bonus you'll save hundreds of dollars a year too.

Once again, good luck.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Day 3 after 5 years. I didn't intend it to coincide with new years but so many of my friends are doing it (plus it's an easy date to remember) that I've decided to stick with it. Today is the day I feel sorry for my coworkers and clients alike. Stick with it everyone. I already feel better, just irate.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I quit a week before Thanksgiving. I was tired of the heavy chest, the expense, and the disappointment I was causing in my children. So I quit, cold turkey. I don't have cravings anymore, and I've worked my way up to 4 mile runs with my dog and 20 mike bike rides.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
I'm quitting smoking because MY BOYFRIEND quit two months ago and I'm getting really tired of getting bitched at for smoking. I've gone down from 1/2 pack a day to one, maybe two/day, but I was supposed to have quit on New Years (sshh, i've been cheating!) The plan was, for the last week of 2010, I'd only bum cigs and not buy any more packs, and then quit completely on the 1st.

Riding the bike helps a lot, since the less I smoke, the easier it is to ride, and when I've been riding I don't feel like smoking.

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
I find that quitting smoking for me at the moment is impossible, purely due to a lack of real motivation. Yes, I know it causes fatal diseases, I can't get fit because of it, it stinks and costs a hell of a lot of money, but for some reason none of these reasons even causes me to think about quitting. Does anyone else have this problem?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm sure lots of people have that problem. If you don't want to quit you're not going to. If the thought of every cigarette going in your mouth is slowly killing you isn't enough to sway you right now, then now probably isn't going to work for you.

Try again in a year?

What the Snap
Dec 7, 2003
Classic.
So I decided the take the plunge, I'm offically 12 hours into it and going strong!
Been about a pack a day for about 9 years.

What the Snap fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 4, 2011

dmt.s
Dec 28, 2010

Shrimps in my eyes!
Smoked my last cigarette on the 1st. Biggest motivator was the enormous toll it was taking on my lung capacity while jogging or swimming. Being 22 and gasping like a 60 yr old after a 30min jog is just wrong, so gently caress it! :D

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I've been smoking for about a year. Probably 3-4 packs a week. So not bad.

I'll join up with you guys after the pack I'm on. I just wanna see how long I can last.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

What the Snap posted:

So I decided the take the plunge, I'm offically 12 hours into it and going strong!
Been about a pack a day for about 9 years.

The first 30 days are going to be completely awful. Once you're past that it only gets continuously easier. Whenever you feel temptation strike, Do Something Else Quickly.

Urge busting tips:

Going outside in the cold and not smoking
Not buying another loving pack, try not to bum
Do pushups when you need a boredom cig
Go make a sandwhich instead
Chew gum
Call someone on the phone to talk
Pick up a book
Use StumbleUpon only when you feel like you want a cigarette
Play games when you feel like a cigarette, instead of playing games and then smoking a cigarette

For me, it's all about finding something else to fill the time I would have spent smoking.

Talby
Nov 28, 2002
Made it my new years resolution to quit smoking, with the motivation being that my new amazing girlfriend hates it. my last cigarette was the evening of december 31st, and while there have been a couple times i've thought that i could really use a cigarette, i haven't had one of those ARRGRHGGHHH I NEED ONE RIGHT NOW moments. slightly over 3 days in, and going strong!

Saiyajin-Nester
Oct 18, 2005
I quit smoking about 2 weeks before christmas. I used 6 days of the step one patches and then managed to go without it so far im not having many problems, I really started to hate the idea of smoking and that mental kick helps tremendously.

Good luck to all fellow quitters.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
5 days out of the dark. It definitely gets "easier" the longer I try. I don't feel all that great, but I was having nightmares on the first night, and now I don't, so that is an improvement.

I've heard that you start coughing stuff up after a bit, is that true for everyone? I remember some darker phlegm for a little, but nothing black as sin escaping the hell of my lungs.

vipers-venom
Apr 11, 2006
Day one of quite possibly the 30th quit attempt I've made. Started smoking as a habit when I was 18 and I rarely bummed them starting at the age of 16. I'm 24 now and have been a half-to-full pack per day smoker. Over the past year or so I've found myself randomly going a day or two without a smoke and not think much of it. I've tried quitting numerous times and found the only way to quit smoking is to learn about it and hear from other people.

It's strange, I smoked my last cig last night and did not feel like I had a sinus infection, but I woke up this morning sneezing, coughing and congestion like I had just caught a cold. Call it a coincidence, but I think it has something to do with the withdrawal symptoms. Like I said, I've tried to quit before and mostly what I encountered was anxiety, irritability, fatigue, increased appetite, and not much else. I didn't expect symptoms of a sinus infection.

Here's a list of what I'm looking forward to:

Being able to smell and taste everything again
Not smelling like rear end
Having more money
Being more "attractive" to those who don't smoke (sucks getting turned down by a girl because she doesn't like smokers)
Not destroying my car with burn-holes and ash
Spending saved time doing other things
Not getting sick
The obvious health benefits
Many other implied benefits

I'm combating the effects of withdrawal by chewing on pens and straws to satisfy the oral fixation, eating a snack when I feel like having a cigarette, and drinking fruit juice to keep my blood sugar up.

This is the last time I quit smoking cigarettes.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Like almost every other smoker on the planet, I'm 3 days into my attempt to quit. I guess this is my 3rd serious attempt. Last time I quit was when I moved out of town for a summer internship last year. Moving into a new situation with different people, different surroundings, and different routines made it easier I think. I made it 9 months.

This time it was more of a "Well everyone else is quitting for new years, I guess I will too" thing. St Louis also just passed an indoor smoking ban that should make it easier. Saturday I didn't miss it because I was so sick and hungover. Sunday I snapped at a few people at work. Today I also snapped at a few co-workers, but I think about 50% of that was because I work with a bunch of retards who I really do hate regardless of my nicotine situation.

I've had a sinus infection/cold/cough since a few days before my last cig, so that has probably masked some of the withdraw.

Reasons to quit:
-I can't wait to smell springtime.

-Tired of smelling like an ashtray.

-Tired of pretending I don't smoke when around my parents. They know but have never confronted me and I'm sick of the bullshit and sneaking around.

-I am so bad at talking to girls that repulsing a good percentage of them by smoking is the last thing I need.

-I have not had more than $500 to my name in over a year so I really do not need to spend $150 a month on cigs.

-I hate coughing poo poo up.

-I am way too out of shape for a 23yr old with a healthy weight.

-For the next few weeks I can justify being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone I encounter with "Sorry, I just quit smoking."

Goddamn that last cigarette was tasty.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

P.N.T.M. posted:

5 days out of the dark. It definitely gets "easier" the longer I try. I don't feel all that great, but I was having nightmares on the first night, and now I don't, so that is an improvement.

I've heard that you start coughing stuff up after a bit, is that true for everyone? I remember some darker phlegm for a little, but nothing black as sin escaping the hell of my lungs.
Mine was never black, just dark brown and really disgusting (And sticky). Mmm tar.

hemp
Dec 18, 2008
Almost four days since I last had a cigarette and I want to tear my own arm off and beat the next person I see to death with it

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Talby posted:

Made it my new years resolution to quit smoking, with the motivation being that my new amazing girlfriend hates it. my last cigarette was the evening of december 31st, and while there have been a couple times i've thought that i could really use a cigarette, i haven't had one of those ARRGRHGGHHH I NEED ONE RIGHT NOW moments. slightly over 3 days in, and going strong!

It seems like everyone is due for at least one of those, and just because you made it past the first 3 days doesn't mean you're home free. But the good news is knowing that it will come will make you better prepared to handle it when it does. Hang tough duder!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm on day nine. I had quit last November but started up again in August. The cravings are already gone, except when I drink (had a puff Saturday night. I'm not counting it because it wasn't my brand and actually grossed me out quite a bit).

Does anybody else get an olfactory hallucination of tobacco-stink when they quit? It's been happening and actually just occurred when I wrote this post.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

chem42 posted:

-Tired of pretending I don't smoke when around my parents. They know but have never confronted me and I'm sick of the bullshit and sneaking around.

Haha that just made my day

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

chem42 posted:

You could make a book out of stories about dumb poo poo smokers do to hide their habit from others. I hid my smoking from my ex for a substantial period of time. poo poo's hosed up-- good riddance.

babies havin rabies posted:

Does anybody else get an olfactory hallucination of tobacco-stink when they quit? It's been happening and actually just occurred when I wrote this post.

I experienced this, but I thought it was just the smell coming out of my clothes. It didn't happen all the time though, so maybe you're right and it was hallucinations.

One weird thing I remember is I would sort of hallucinate that I was breathing in/blowing out smoke right as I fell asleep at night.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Starting late but I really need to quit after this pack I'm on right now. 7 year smoker, around a pack a day, though it was 2 packs a day in college. 23 years old is starting to sound too old to do that. Also, most of my other smoker friends have already quit and I recently moved to a more expensive apartment. Let's loving do this.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Welp. Second day without any smokes. I'd been smoking for 5 years before that. The stress is not nearly as bad as I expected. I do find that I feel like I've forgotten to do something important though, which ends up being wanting a ciggy.

As babies havin rabies posted, I find I'm smelling people smoking, and the old smoke stink every now and again. Good lord I can't wait for that to stop.

So far so good though, my girlfriend smoked as long as I have and we're both quitting together which is making it easier then if she didn't quit, or if I didn't for her.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Added a comma to the thread title because it was bugging the poo poo out of me, you can't smoke GBS.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I heard a couple of weeks ago that my ex-girlfriend had finally quit smoking for good. I went from half a pack a day to pack-and-a-half a day living with that no-good woman, and her successfully stopping is a far more motivating reason to quit than any other.

Last cigarette was on New Years Day, although I was a bit sick for two days right after, which made not smoking much easier. For the past two years I would smoke even when sick - even if it was a sore throat. Smoking is goddamn ridiculous like that.

I'm getting a bit jumpy and angry today from missing the habit, but it's not too bad. Got an olfactory hallucination of smoke, too. I'm telling myself that if I am about to snap and hunt down a cigarette, I will instead smoke a (tobacco-free) joint.

What the Snap
Dec 7, 2003
Classic.
Day 3!

I'm feeling pretty good, I'm starting to cough a lot (I never coughed as a smoker) I've been complimented by the ladies how nice I smell now ;).

I have no concerns, I'm simply a non-smoker now!

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
I'm now about a week in. No smokes and no booze. I am sleeping lots, am in a great mood and I'm really horny. I've saved about £70 too.

I had a gruelling and stressful job interview yesterday, and when it was over and I was walking back to the car, you know how as a smoker you light up after a tense time and get that rush? I forgot that I wasn't a smoker and went to light up. After about 5 seconds I realised my folly and had a good laugh about it.

gently caress you smoking, you're a stupid rear end in a top hat. :smug:

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
7-year, about 1/2 pack a day smoker here.

I've tried to quit plenty of times before, failed plenty of times before. This time I'm loving serious. I recently started dating the girl of my dreams, and while she isn't militantly anti smoking, she doesn't smoke and doesn't much care to.

I can't think of a better reason to finally give this gross habit up.

I just slapped a step-1 patch on my arm, this time I want to quit for good. Longest I've ever gone without a smoke is approx 48 hours. Wish me luck GBS :ohdear:

Talby
Nov 28, 2002

electricsugar posted:

7-year, about 1/2 pack a day smoker here.

I've tried to quit plenty of times before, failed plenty of times before. This time I'm loving serious. I recently started dating the girl of my dreams, and while she isn't militantly anti smoking, she doesn't smoke and doesn't much care to.

I can't think of a better reason to finally give this gross habit up.

I just slapped a step-1 patch on my arm, this time I want to quit for good. Longest I've ever gone without a smoke is approx 48 hours. Wish me luck GBS :ohdear:

hey this is pretty much exactly what happened to me! We went on our first date a few days before new years, and she doesn't smoke and would prefer that i didn't either. so now today is my 5th day completely cigaretteless, no patch, no gum, or anything of the sort. still no huge cravings, just the usual "oh i'm about to drive somewhere, time to light up!" habits that are slowly being broken

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
about 3 and a half months here, went from about a pack a day to nothing, cold turkey. I had to quite pretty much everything that I associated with cigs to do so (booze, weed, caffeine, caffeine is back though). This is the 2nd longest i've gone w/o them for the past ~15 years.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Alright, day loving one of not smoking at all. The hardest part is going to be getting through work because once I'm home it's pretty easy not to smoke. 9 hours in retail when it's a slow day is one of my biggest triggers, I usually smoke two on the way to work, two at lunch, take a smoke break two hours after lunch, and then have two more on the way home. Luckily, only one other person that I hang out with at work is a smoker so hopefully I can make it most of the day without even thinking about it.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I love waking up without cat-poo poo mouth syndrome.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."
I had been a smoker for close to 8 years, when I finally quit on July 1, 2009. I quit cold turkey with my then-boyfriend (now fiance). People always asked me why I didn't quit (and this was always from non-smokers who never smoked) and I said, it's not easy to "just quit" and you really truly need to quit when you are ready to. Well, I was ready then, and I've been smoke free every since!

Oddly, when I was prepared to quit, it was the easiest thing in the world. I probably had the equivalent of a 1/2 pack over the first 2 months of quitting, though. Even though I had just started a very high stress job, I wasn't inclined to go buy a pack of smokes from the store around the corner and stand out in the freezing cold (or sweltering hot, depending on the time of year). I knew it was the right time to quit, and I finally stuck to it. I probably attempted to quit smoking half-assedly dozens of times before, but the last time I knew I had to do it.

The ability to smell things I couldn't before, food tastes so amazing now, I don't smell like an ashtray, I don't ever have to worry about leaving a party to go hang out with the smokers outside, etc. Probably one of the things I enjoy most about not smoking, is not having people bug you about quitting all the time. Seriously, that poo poo is annoying! The pros definitely outweigh the cons when it comes to quitting smoking and once you are past the point of craving them, or breaking the habit associated with smoking, you are home free!

My uncle quit smoking after being a pack and a half smoker for decades. He started putting the money away he was using for cigarettes in a savings account, and within a year, he had saved over $5,000 and put it towards a fancy new car.

I'm confident all you goons can kick this habit! Breathing in a two lung fulls of air without hacking up poo poo is a wonderful feeling and will making quitting all that more sweet!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
24 hours so far... feeling ill and my chest is pretty tight but otherwise I have resisted the temptation to purchase another pack. I smoked a pack a day for the better part of a decade and I'm tired of being poor and disgusting thanks to cigarettes.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
about a week into not smoking. surprisingly not difficult, have had one smoke, do have some cravings, and will likely have a sneaky one when i get drunk this weekend - but that's far from smoking a pack during the week and a pack per night out.

my lungs are hacking up some nasty poo poo.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
A month in so far. The desire to smoke when drinking is gone and, honestly, that was the biggest factor keeping me a smoker for a number of years.

Occasionally I get a minor craving at night, after dinner, accompanied with the sort of salivating I identify with needing a smoke. But beyond that, it is out of my head completely.

Anyways, you can definitely do it. Staying off the booze for a few weeks really helped me. Hopefully, this is a permanent quit.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Hi there. Ex-smoker weighing in. Smoked 10 years, been off it for 5 years now.

Quitting smoking sucks. here is what worked for me. I had half a pack on me. Stopped my planning and feeling I had to run, and go get more. Cinnamon gum was my friend. (5 gum is best). Also, it has to be for you. I had many people tell me they wanted me to quit, or challenge me. Won't work. Has to be for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-God-
May 26, 2003

Just a test... Just a test.
After smoking for about 6 years I finally quit just before New Years. I got ill and didnt smoke for a few days and then New Years hit and I decided to carry it on and my Girlfriend quit too.

Its been 8 days now and I dont have any desire to have a cig, I am just wondering when this feeling of emptiness and boredom that can't be curbed will go. I feel like I can't enjoy anything, does this feeling subside? I can't really explain it but my girlfriend feels it too. I stopped for 4 months a few years ago and I know I felt great after a few weeks but I just can't see that happening. Ive told my GF its going to be hard but we both just seem super miserable. But I said to her that having a cig wouldn't even fix it so we just need to soldier through. Any help from someone with experience would be great. I used to smoke 10 a day and my gf 15-20.

• Locked thread