Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Not much hope of getting the OP updated, hell, it has screenshots from the PC version and the current UI doesn't even look like that. Looks like he kind of gave up on it in September. Would be nice if Boxee had stickied a thread with the common crash bugs on their forum instead of leaving people to stumble through other complaints to find it. I think they might even have a bug repository somewhere but I couldn't find the link again. Of course hopefully they fix that upnp one the next time they update, whenever the hell that is. Some people are still wishing for one at the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CrashCat posted:

Not much hope of getting the OP updated, hell, it has screenshots from the PC version and the current UI doesn't even look like that. Looks like he kind of gave up on it in September. Would be nice if Boxee had stickied a thread with the common crash bugs on their forum instead of leaving people to stumble through other complaints to find it. I think they might even have a bug repository somewhere but I couldn't find the link again. Of course hopefully they fix that upnp one the next time they update, whenever the hell that is. Some people are still wishing for one at the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath.

Here is where you can see status of, and submit bugs for boxee.

http://jira.boxee.tv/secure/Dashboard.jspa

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone heard if there is a plugin coming for atdhe.net? I've tried to watch via the browser and it was pretty ehhh..

That'd be fantastic if there was a decent plugin, pretty much the only thing I'm missing from not having cable is live sports.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

priznat posted:

Has anyone heard if there is a plugin coming for atdhe.net? I've tried to watch via the browser and it was pretty ehhh..

That'd be fantastic if there was a decent plugin, pretty much the only thing I'm missing from not having cable is live sports.

Sites like atdhe don't host their own content so I doubt it. Any given event could be hosted on ustream, justin.tv, v-share, or many others. Some don't even use flash and require their own browser plugins.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

deong posted:

Is there a way to change the media scraper for the boxee box? It isn't doing a very good job at finding the tv show names.. I've got them set as show name/season/ and some times it does it right, other times not so much. It will give an error 'media info not avil'.. or something close.

Find out what service Boxee uses for its data lookups, then name episodes to match how that service has things. I know Boxee's scraper is poo poo compared to XBMC for some reason, but that's what I've done for near perfect results on my XBMC setup.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boo and/or yay!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/31/netflix-and-vudu-not-hitting-boxee-box-till-january-as-if-you/

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

All of a sudden Boxee can't access my wireless router. It's been fine for a week but as of an hour ago, it won't connect.

Every time I try, it says "Unable to setup the wireless network. Please check your password and try again". I've tried a dozen times, each time I'm 100% sure I have the password right before hitting go (and 3 other computers in the house are connecting fine via that same password.)

It works fine over wired connection but I don't want an ugly wire going three rooms over just to fix this.

Any ideas?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Yeah, I'm officially wrong now :shobon:. It kinda feels like they took off the last week of the year even though they're in Israel, with the lack of communication until like 2 hours before the new year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

All of a sudden Boxee can't access my wireless router. It's been fine for a week but as of an hour ago, it won't connect.

Every time I try, it says "Unable to setup the wireless network. Please check your password and try again". I've tried a dozen times, each time I'm 100% sure I have the password right before hitting go (and 3 other computers in the house are connecting fine via that same password.)

It works fine over wired connection but I don't want an ugly wire going three rooms over just to fix this.

Any ideas?

Stupid question, but have you tried power cycling your router?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Next-Gen posted:

Yeah, I'm officially wrong now :shobon:. It kinda feels like they took off the last week of the year even though they're in Israel, with the lack of communication until like 2 hours before the new year.

For a small company a slip of 3-4 weeks is not really such an unusual thing and I'm not surprised or upset by it.

Can't wait for netflix on it!

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected
I just got Boxee box for Christmas. I've been using the Boxee software on a pc for the last 6 months or so. I have a question for anyone who can help me.

Should I be able to see DVD rips under the movies icon?

Standard audio_ts/video_ts folders on my "Boxee pc" network shared, I can see them under "files" just fine, but not under "movies". I am annoyed that the Boxee box for me feels like a "step back" from the pc software version. But, I'm keeping it and waiting for upgrades that will eventually happen and make it the device it could be.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

Fishhook posted:

I just got Boxee box for Christmas. I've been using the Boxee software on a pc for the last 6 months or so. I have a question for anyone who can help me.

Should I be able to see DVD rips under the movies icon?

Standard audio_ts/video_ts folders on my "Boxee pc" network shared, I can see them under "files" just fine, but not under "movies". I am annoyed that the Boxee box for me feels like a "step back" from the pc software version. But, I'm keeping it and waiting for upgrades that will eventually happen and make it the device it could be.

Did you set those network sources to scan even once? If you set it to never nothing will show up in Movies.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

On the bright side I can hope that since they took so much time to put in Vudu and Netflix that they do it right and integrate it with their library. Being able to look through all the media at once is the only thing they have that I don't see others doing yet, even though they still have a ton of content trapped away in apps.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm currently trying to replace mine. Bought it last week but only could testdrive during the weekend, where I noticed that I got a refurbished one (which looks kinda gross on all the shiny plastic parts).

After deleting the profile of the (hopefully) first user I got everything set up pretty quickly. Some files didn't get recognised at first but that was mainly because they contained the German movie titles. After adding those manually I had a fully functional Boxee without any bugs at all.

Watching Walking Dead everything looked and sounded great but during the quieter moments I noticed the fan. It's not loud, just annoying. I turned on my PS3 for comparison. It is way louder than the Boxee box, but this high pitched noise cut right through it. I figure that's the reason it was sent back originally and hope a new model will fix that.

I think I could live with it after a few days but it doesn't hurt to at least try, right? Does anybody else have this problem? I really liked everything else about it so I don't really wanna replace it with something else...

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected

StopMakingSense posted:

Did you set those network sources to scan even once? If you set it to never nothing will show up in Movies.

Yes, I have set it to scan my sources, tried starting a manual scan. MKV and M4V files do show up, but my library is mostly VIDEO_TS(vob), which the Boxee pc software handles just fine.

What I'm trying to answer, is if VIDEO_TS(vob) is actually supported, which it looks like it should be, or this is a bug with my box, before I go through and convert my whole library to a different format.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

CrashCat posted:

On the bright side I can hope that since they took so much time to put in Vudu and Netflix that they do it right and integrate it with their library. Being able to look through all the media at once is the only thing they have that I don't see others doing yet, even though they still have a ton of content trapped away in apps.
That is the way they had it on the PC app before the box came out so, more than likely that's how it will be.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Fishhook posted:

Yes, I have set it to scan my sources, tried starting a manual scan. MKV and M4V files do show up, but my library is mostly VIDEO_TS(vob), which the Boxee pc software handles just fine.

What I'm trying to answer, is if VIDEO_TS(vob) is actually supported, which it looks like it should be, or this is a bug with my box, before I go through and convert my whole library to a different format.

You can package dvd rips as a .iso and it will scan them based on the filename.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive been messing with xbmc on an Acer Revo 3610 for a while, and I think id like to give a Boxee box a try. Anyone want to trade straight across ?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cornjob posted:

Ive been messing with xbmc on an Acer Revo 3610 for a while, and I think id like to give a Boxee box a try. Anyone want to trade straight across ?

haha, I got a boxee box specifically because I didn't want to gently caress with my nettop any more. boxee box just works on all my linux isos with no issues and no fuckery.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AlexF posted:

Watching Walking Dead everything looked and sounded great but during the quieter moments I noticed the fan. It's not loud, just annoying. I turned on my PS3 for comparison. It is way louder than the Boxee box, but this high pitched noise cut right through it. I figure that's the reason it was sent back originally and hope a new model will fix that.

I think I could live with it after a few days but it doesn't hurt to at least try, right? Does anybody else have this problem? I really liked everything else about it so I don't really wanna replace it with something else...
There were a couple other people in the thread that complained about the fan but not many. I am guessing D-link just got a bum batch in there somewhere. The high pitched whine is probably the sound of something out of whack in that fan that's going to fail soon enough anyway. My unit definitely had plastic protecting film on the shiny parts when I pulled it out though so also look for that on your replacement 'new' one. I don't have a problem with my fan at all but then I am used to the Xbox which is a goddamn windtunnel by comparison.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just saw this on engadget-Iomega's coming out with a similar box in February

quote:

It's got the same UI, the same Intel CE4100 processor, and a similar two-sided remote with a QWERTY keyboard on the underside and a few more buttons up front (dedicated volume control, for example). It can also serve as a DLNA server / player, built-in 802.11n, and up to 2TB internal storage that acts as network storage / a personal cloud. The top-of-the-line'll run you $349.99, with 1TB and 0TB (i.e. no internal storage) options available for $299.99 and $229.99, respectively.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/iomega-tv-with-boxee-chooses-function-over-form-packs-in-a-hard/

This is really, really appealing. Local storage + wifi streaming/netflix for a similar cost to a HTPC with none of the challenges of setting it up.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I just started setting up my new Boxee and am trying to point it to my local files. Why is it prompting me for a username/password when I select my PC (it's showing up as a samba share)? I made sure my media folders are shared with everyone and can't figure out why it wants a username/password.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MMD3 posted:

so I just started setting up my new Boxee and am trying to point it to my local files. Why is it prompting me for a username/password when I select my PC (it's showing up as a samba share)? I made sure my media folders are shared with everyone and can't figure out why it wants a username/password.
Probably just best to read through here: http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22107

If you're on win 7 you may also want to make sure you have a guest account, that seems to be another issue that affects it besides the crazy multiple-screens-of-sharing-settings crap.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CrashCat posted:

Probably just best to read through here: http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22107

If you're on win 7 you may also want to make sure you have a guest account, that seems to be another issue that affects it besides the crazy multiple-screens-of-sharing-settings crap.

hmmm, I am on Win7 and don't have a Guest account, only my admin account... I'll take a look.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

CrashCat posted:

There were a couple other people in the thread that complained about the fan but not many. I am guessing D-link just got a bum batch in there somewhere. The high pitched whine is probably the sound of something out of whack in that fan that's going to fail soon enough anyway. My unit definitely had plastic protecting film on the shiny parts when I pulled it out though so also look for that on your replacement 'new' one. I don't have a problem with my fan at all but then I am used to the Xbox which is a goddamn windtunnel by comparison.

Thanks, that gives me some hope. I'm used to the first generation Xbox fan as well. The volume of that thing comes pretty close to attempted murder, but the sound of the Boxee was way worse. Like something slowly burning into your brain, so it had to go. I'll be looking for the protecting film as well. Fingers are crossed...

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
I'm interested in the Boxee Box but I wanted to ask all of you who have one before I make the dive. How is music playback of locally stored files? It's an important feature to have and I fugre if music playback isn't the best then I might need to go in a different direction.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

mastershakeman posted:

Just saw this on engadget-Iomega's coming out with a similar box in February

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/iomega-tv-with-boxee-chooses-function-over-form-packs-in-a-hard/

This is really, really appealing. Local storage + wifi streaming/netflix for a similar cost to a HTPC with none of the challenges of setting it up.

Really interested in this as well. Was looking to purchase a NAS in the next month or two anyway, but playback would be through a PS3 and therefore limited in the files it could read. If I could spend an extra $100 to get a NAS + Boxee that would play everything, that would be great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

I'm interested in the Boxee Box but I wanted to ask all of you who have one before I make the dive. How is music playback of locally stored files? It's an important feature to have and I fugre if music playback isn't the best then I might need to go in a different direction.

I'm really not impressed with local music playback. It is nice how it has the browser with thumbnails of all the artists, but I didn't see any obvious playlist creation or ability to play saved playlists. Basically I just played individual artist albums one by one.

There might be the ability to make playlists etc but it wasn't immediately obvious to me, anyway.

Seems like you are just locked to a single screensaver when the music is playing too.

Anyway if it's mostly a music player you're interested in I'd say nah, not really.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Just got mine.

1st major issue.

2.35:1 mkvs encoded at 720p are playing back stretched. No black bars, filling the screen top to bottom.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I got my boxee hooked up over lunch today. Infinitely better than the WDTV. Had it updated and running in minutes. Such a clean interface and runs very smooth without lag. I love how you can look up movie files with it and it will download a cover and a little bit about the movie. I look forward to playing with it more tonight.

Cornjob posted:

Just got mine.

1st major issue.

2.35:1 mkvs encoded at 720p are playing back stretched. No black bars, filling the screen top to bottom.

Mine did this as well.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Im sure the issues Im having are known, and documented in the boxee forums.

The 720p/mkv issue prevents me from watching many of my titles, and if not resolved... is a major re-encoding headache. Maybe even a deal breaker.
XBMC did not do this, so i did not think it would be an issue with Boxee.

Another annoyance is that it sorts titles starting with "The" under 'T".

So "The Evil Dead" and "Evil Dead 2" are sorted under "T" and "E", respectively.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cornjob posted:

Another annoyance is that it sorts titles starting with "The" under 'T".

So "The Evil Dead" and "Evil Dead 2" are sorted under "T" and "E", respectively.

I think this will be addressed with SP3 whenever that comes out (within a week I believe).

There is an option to change the aspect ratio.. Guessing off memory, but when your in the video hit center menu, then the gear, then video and its under zoom maybe? See if its doing something by default there?

Actually, might be both:
* [BOXEE-7344] - some .mkv and .m4v files with 2.35:1 AR are playing back vertically stretched to 1.78:1
* [BOXEE-7022] - Can movies/albums/artists which start with "The" and "A" have the prefix ignored in the sort order

deong fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 4, 2011

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

deong posted:

There is an option to change the aspect ratio.. Guessing off memory, but when your in the video hit center menu, then the gear, then video and its under zoom maybe? See if its doing something by default there?

Tried it. No go.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I know the answer is no but is there anyway I can make my Boxee display the latest files in a local directory on the home screen?

It's good at what I want it to do (play local HD content) but to get there I have to teach my family to dig through menus.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does boxee do fanart like xbmc?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kri kri posted:

Does boxee do fanart like xbmc?

From second to last software release.

Support local thumbnails: .tbn support / folder.jpg

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there any way to replicate Apple AirPlay's functionality on Boxee? An Apple devotee family member is considering Boxee over an apple tv but he really wants this feature so he can send things he's playing on his iPad straight to his Apple TV.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/23/hands-on-with-airplay-ipad-and-apple-tv-updates-make-a-magic-co/

thinking similar to Boxee's "Watch Later" bookmarking feature but that would work in the iPad browser or something...

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

MMD3 posted:

is there any way to replicate Apple AirPlay's functionality on Boxee? An Apple devotee family member is considering Boxee over an apple tv but he really wants this feature so he can send things he's playing on his iPad straight to his Apple TV.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/23/hands-on-with-airplay-ipad-and-apple-tv-updates-make-a-magic-co/

thinking similar to Boxee's "Watch Later" bookmarking feature but that would work in the iPad browser or something...

I know people are tinkering with code to get it to work with XBMC, and others talking about how portable that will be to, say, a boxee app. Nothing concrete though.

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 5, 2011

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cornjob posted:

Tried it. No go.

Doesn't the Boxee box have the 'change pixel ratio' function in video options like the PC installed version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Doesn't the Boxee box have the 'change pixel ratio' function in video options like the PC installed version?

It's a bug they caused in SP2. Should be out with SP3: http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-7344

• Locked thread