Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
It's a lot like You've Been Framed when it could be a lot better if they just got worse clips - not enough Bernard Manning variety program, too much "Dr. Who has poo poo special effects" - and didn't have as much narration.

I really just want an Everything Is Terrible TV show :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I reckon it's mostly that McIntyre is so overexposed at the moment. Among comedians he seems to be thought of as a decent guy who's getting more fame, fortune and success than he deserves. Like Joe Stalin said a lot of grumpy comedians (like Lee, whom I love) seem to think he hasn't earned his dues, so to speak. Personally I don't have a problem with him, even if I'm not actively going to seek out anything he does. He's a decent but unexciting observational comedy dude.

If I lived in the UK I might have been fed up as all hell though, who knows.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think it is that his humour is so simple, and his voice so annoying. He tells jokes about noticing things that everyone notices. It's dull, and shallow. Also there is a perceptioon that he seems to have essentially popped straight into the limelight as a product more of his management than his talent.
Or perhaps I am being pretentious because I'm reading Stewart Lee's book.

Whatever the reason for the dislike, I think we can all agree that people who talk about their mandrawers are pricks.

He did seem to kind of pop right out of nowhere. Still, I'd rather we had him than Corden, Whitehall and that awful Nigerian woman whose only joke is that she is from Nigeria.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind Corden when he's hosting a League of Their Own, but Horne & Corden was dreadful, he seems to have a reputation (among disgruntled colleagues perhaps?) of only hanging around with other celebrities now that he has made it, and he needs to stop joking about his weight. A lot of fat comedians do it and it's always about as fun as hearing comedians from ethnic minorities tell us about their hilarious parents.

In conclusion white people eh eh eh, black people doo doo doo. Skinny people eh eh eh fat people doo doo doo. Straight people eh eh eh gay people doo doo doo.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Did anyone watch Stargazing Live? The new picture of the Andromeda galaxy was loving incredible.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

King Crab posted:

Man, I don't get all the Micheal Macintyre hate that's going on here. He seems to really love what he is doing and I think it gives him a great energy.

See, what I (and a lot of people) can't stand is that guy who's already laughing at his own punchlines 30 seconds before they come along, and Michael Macintyre is that guy. He's got some great jokes (the one that sticks with me is the piece about trying to spend Scottish money in English supermarkets), but I just can't stand the preening, self-satisfied way in which he tells them. I do object to a comedian who's apparently not secure enough in his own material to trust that it's actually funny; the vibe I get off Macintyre is a constant narrative of "this is funny! I'm funny, me! I'm being incredibly incredibly funny now!"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Zorba the Greek posted:

Did anyone watch Stargazing Live? The new picture of the Andromeda galaxy was loving incredible.

Fantastic wasn't it?

What I want though is a copy of the amateur photographers image of the partial eclipse with the birds, it was also beautiful.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

See, what I (and a lot of people) can't stand is that guy who's already laughing at his own punchlines 30 seconds before they come along, and Michael Macintyre is that guy. He's got some great jokes (the one that sticks with me is the piece about trying to spend Scottish money in English supermarkets), but I just can't stand the preening, self-satisfied way in which he tells them. I do object to a comedian who's apparently not secure enough in his own material to trust that it's actually funny; the vibe I get off Macintyre is a constant narrative of "this is funny! I'm funny, me! I'm being incredibly incredibly funny now!"

This is exactly my feeling but I couldn't articulate it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zorba the Greek posted:

I'm not sure about this programme. With less engaging hosts it would be unbearable. The pre-recorded sections are great but the bits in Hawaii seem too much like filler, and the opening to the CME talk veered into disaster-movie trailer territory (also "you turn on the TV news and hear reports of city-wide blackouts" - what do these people's TV's run on?). We had a partial eclipse and a meteor shower, but the cloud meant we saw hardly anything of them. It might have been better to record it, get some decent images from around the country, and then broadcast the show the following day, rather than trying to rely on what could be seen in the one hour it was on-air.

And Jonathan Ross, this is not your finest moment. Three telescopes and a library of astronomy books, and he can't recognise any of the stars?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The bint in Hawaii is awful. loving biologists, can't be trusted.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm not sure about this programme. With less engaging hosts it would be unbearable. The pre-recorded sections are great but the bits in Hawaii seem too much like filler.

The Hawaii bits are awful, because of that woman host. Have you noticed she keeps saying stuff is fantastic, brilliant or amazing in the most uninterested voice often while changing the subject.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

And Jonathan Ross, this is not your finest moment. Three telescopes and a library of astronomy books, and he can't recognise any of the stars?

How can anybody who has lived in the northern hemisphere not know what the Big Dipper is (no matter what they locally call it)?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I meant Dara and Brian are good hosts. I didn't know who the woman presenter was until someone mentioned she's on some kids' science programme.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh poo poo, Sergeant Hakeswill is dead :(.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
FINE, I'LL BE THE ONLY ONE COMMENTING ON EASTENDERS THEN SHALL I?

More about the dead baby, Ronnie slowly losing it, some genuinely touching moments from Shane Ritchie, happy gays, pretty much everyone else miserable. The amount of makeup they usually slather on Kat makes the difference all the more dramatic when they leave it off

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

goatface posted:

The bint in Hawaii is awful.

Nice.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

oxford_town posted:

When I got to sixth form, though, going in late and watching Frasier at 8:30 in bed was the way to go :cool:

I used to go home for lunch at college (5 minute walk, just round the corner), eat a bowl of super noodles and watch 1 and a half episodes of Cheers. Maybe channel 4 could put that show on endless repeat instead of Friends.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Old Madeyes posted:

Did I just hear Robert Webb voicing an advert for Cushelle toilet roll? :/

It seems to be getting ever increasingly common for large companies to hire comic personalities to do their ads. Kinda depressing, I can't imagine it's a hard life being a massively popular TV personality, so selling out to adverts just seems greedy. On the other hand, it doesn't really affect anything (like musicians watering down their sound for well paying contracts), so I guess it's okay.

I just hope that these "endorsements" don't mean that these people are bound from saying certain things in order to keep sponsors happy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Like Joe Stalin said a lot of grumpy comedians (like Lee, whom I love) seem to think he hasn't earned his dues, so to speak.
I heard a Stewart Lee radio interview a while ago where he gave Macintyre full credit for breathing some life into stand up comedy and thus boosting attendances.

For the most part, Lees grumpiness is just part of his act on stage. In interviews hes much more laid back.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

FINE, I'LL BE THE ONLY ONE COMMENTING ON EASTENDERS THEN SHALL I?

More about the dead baby, Ronnie slowly losing it, some genuinely touching moments from Shane Ritchie, happy gays, pretty much everyone else miserable. The amount of makeup they usually slather on Kat makes the difference all the more dramatic when they leave it off

I think quite a few people in here watch it but are slightly ashamed, I haven't seen it since before Xmas because I thought it was going be awful/depressing. Was it?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

haywire posted:

It seems to be getting ever increasingly common for large companies to hire comic personalities to do their ads. Kinda depressing, I can't imagine it's a hard life being a massively popular TV personality, so selling out to adverts just seems greedy. On the other hand, it doesn't really affect anything (like musicians watering down their sound for well paying contracts), so I guess it's okay.

I just hope that these "endorsements" don't mean that these people are bound from saying certain things in order to keep sponsors happy.

Well I'll give it to you straight...

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think it is that his humour is so simple, and his voice so annoying. He tells jokes about noticing things that everyone notices. It's dull, and shallow. Also there is a perceptioon that he seems to have essentially popped straight into the limelight as a product more of his management than his talent.
Or perhaps I am being pretentious because I'm reading Stewart Lee's book.

Whatever the reason for the dislike, I think we can all agree that people who talk about their mandrawers are pricks.

to quote that Stewart Lee book "I'm reliably informed that Michael Mcintyre doesn't actually have a 'man drawer', and invented the concept in order to ridicule ordinary people, for whom he has nothing but haughty contempt."

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

haywire posted:

Robert Webb Doing voice-over work doesnt make peep show less funny, does it? its not like the horrible product placement that you get in some shows in america.

Unless it's got something directly to do with the comedians work then i dont see the problem? Stand-up doesn't seem to pay that well, so thats why some comedians do it, others do it when they are in-between series'. If an voice over ad for like toilet roll ruins a comedian for you then :psyduck:

Also micheal mcintyre is reported "physically to not be able to watch impressions of himself". The guy cant seem to handle anything but praise in my opinion. That said a lot of hate is simply because he is popular and he has shows on BBC1 instead of BBC4. Personally he reminds me of peter kay except without the nostalgia, he can be funny but its 99% just crap.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 5, 2011

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
What the gently caress is a mandrawer?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The thing that always rubs me the wrong way about people like that girl going to Hawaii is that I know that I am partially paying for her to be there. I know this is an argument that could be applied by anybody to anything, but it still seems like an unnecessary extravagance.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't bemoan them sending someone to Hawaii. If they're going to discuss solar astronomy on a winter evening and want to show off some of the bigger astronomical hardware, it's a perfectly logical place to go. She's just a bit poo poo.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Im sure some of you will have seen this ad on tv, now see the making of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4BwLLenhKw

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Alan BStard posted:

What the gently caress is a mandrawer?

It's that drawer you keep all your old keys and spare batteries and other odds and sods in. It's apparently a Thing now. My grandad used his pocket for the same purpose.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's that drawer you keep all your old keys and spare batteries and other odds and sods in. It's apparently a Thing now. My grandad used his pocket for the same purpose.

I'd not heard Michael MacIntyre go on about that, EVERYONE has a drawer full of crap like that not just men.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'd not heard Michael MacIntyre go on about that, EVERYONE has a drawer full of crap like that not just men.

Exactly. My mum has one. Apparently, though, a legitimately good idea that most people have is ripe for comedy.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I have a manbaby draw full of ds games. Batteries are scattered throughout the house usually under furniture.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My family has an entire drawer full of crap in the welsh dresser, batteries, glade plug ins and a million plug fuses along with other stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have a penis.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I have a penis.

Great, now say that in a flustered sort of way while shaking your head about and you'll be in the Royal Variety Performance in no time!

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

hookerbot 5000 posted:

The skit is that the MANdrawer is full of things only the MAN can use, and the woman may not go near it because the MAN will handle this!
The only problem is that I don't know anybody whose family had a notably man-exclusive mandrawer, and I'm from the countryside where DIY is rampant. None of my city friends recognise the phenomenon either, is it a middle-class thing?

That's my problem with Michael MacIntyre, that as far as I'm aware, the man drawer doesn't exist.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

"Jonathan Ross there, the man with more telescopes than sense"

I'm starting to think that every science show should be presented by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. (or at least a double act of nerdy-presenter plus presentable-nerd) They just seem to have so much passion for what they're talking about and are clearly enjoying it, but they don't let that interrupt the actually content.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Noonsaliwah posted:

The skit is that the MANdrawer is full of things only the MAN can use, and the woman may not go near it because the MAN will handle this!
The only problem is that I don't know anybody whose family had a notably man-exclusive mandrawer, and I'm from the countryside where DIY is rampant. None of my city friends recognise the phenomenon either, is it a middle-class thing?

That's my problem with Michael MacIntyre, that as far as I'm aware, the man drawer doesn't exist.

I'd go as far to say that it doesn't and that's the problem with MacIntyre. Almost everyting he jokes about is some general stereotype, but it's that type of lovely stereotype that people make up to try and sound cool when talking to other people.

"I have a drawer of gadgets in my house that my wife is too stupid to use, har har, look at me say something to try and sound cool and fit into your group of friends".

"i have a lovely car but i take it on the road and race those posh cunts in the fast cars, i'm cool arent i?"

"I'm Michael MacItyre and i'm a funny fucker, you should like me now yeah?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41eoZXDb64

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Jonathan Ross there, the man with more telescopes than sense"

I'm starting to think that every science show should be presented by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. (or at least a double act of nerdy-presenter plus presentable-nerd) They just seem to have so much passion for what they're talking about and are clearly enjoying it, but they don't let that interrupt the actually content.

You've listened to Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 right? Brian Cox pairs with Robin Ince there, and they get some good guests on. Doesn't seem to be any on iPlayer right now, but they podcast it so you can just add it to your RSS feed or iTunes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Jonathan Ross can be an annoying prick, but he seems to be pretty interested in nerdy stuff and the more celebrities promoting science etc the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's been a lot of old Adam and Joe podcasts being posted on the 6Music website recently, good for catching up with them if you've never listened to it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/adamandjoe