Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Brian Cox is the best guy in the world and I can't wait to watch on iPlayer. I wonder if he is a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

A5H posted:

Brian Cox is the best guy in the world and I can't wait to watch on iPlayer. I wonder if he is a goon.

Haha, no chance. The man is not goon material.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm starting to think that every science show should be presented by Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox. (or at least a double act of nerdy-presenter plus presentable-nerd) They just seem to have so much passion for what they're talking about and are clearly enjoying it, but they don't let that interrupt the actually content.

One of the best things about Adrian Chiles leaving the BBC (because you know he would have been presenting this had he not) is that Dara seems to be filling all the slots he used to (except maybe Christine :downsrim:).

I can only hope this means that Dara will be presenting the Olympics in 2012.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:

Royality posted:

He doesn't have 10$ to sign up to an internet forum?
Brian Cox (and Mrs) is the face of 'February' in my geek calender. :unsmith:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Royality posted:

Yeah, no way he's a goon.

I'd watch anything he did to be honest, he just presents the material in an engaging fashion, and while I've been interested in the stuff he's done so far I'd probably give anything a go if he was presenting it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nobody else apart from my mother dislikes the messianic smile he talks with then?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

DaWolfey posted:

Anyone watching David Walliams' Awfully Good?

(It's poo poo, he's not funny)

I turned on about halfway through and caught a clip of some TV call in gameshow I remember used to take over every channel a few years back. The presenter was revealing the 'answers' to the clue 'hand' and each one could earn the caller money. The answers were things like 'handan' and 'handcuff bracelet chain' and and 'handsome dog you've got there, Barry' and 'handover fist, blinf blang bloop' and other seemingly made up phrases. If anyone knows how to locate this on youtube, I would be pleased.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Daimo posted:

Nobody else apart from my mother dislikes the messianic smile he talks with then?

My mum didn't like his smile, either. I told him it's because he was infused with the joy of science, which was met with a grudging 'I suppose so.'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

I find him disturbingly over-eager.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Padje posted:

I turned on about halfway through and caught a clip of some TV call in gameshow I remember used to take over every channel a few years back. The presenter was revealing the 'answers' to the clue 'hand' and each one could earn the caller money. The answers were things like 'handan' and 'handcuff bracelet chain' and and 'handsome dog you've got there, Barry' and 'handover fist, blinf blang bloop' and other seemingly made up phrases. If anyone knows how to locate this on youtube, I would be pleased.

Was it something like Quizmania (or one of its clones)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzSlq6gXwdY

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

You've listened to Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 right? Brian Cox pairs with Robin Ince there, and they get some good guests on. Doesn't seem to be any on iPlayer right now, but they podcast it so you can just add it to your RSS feed or iTunes.

The best episode ever was when they had Paul Foot on, being himself to a ludicrous degree.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

This?

(about three minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6ttnaeNmI

edit: I guess this isn't quite as outlandish as your description but it seems like a pretty good fit anyway.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 5, 2011

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

goatface posted:

I find him disturbingly over-eager.

Apart from looking like a paedophile in a playground, he IS the best thing since Patrick Moore and should probably inherit The Sky At Night, but I sense he has bigger ambitions...

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

goatface posted:

loving biologists, can't be trusted.
Tell that to David Attenborough.

Padje posted:

It's quite old but there's a series of videos by Iain Lee ringing up these sort of programs with the same answer over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0au9lnZYE

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Megaterium posted:

Tell that to David Attenborough.

He doesn't count. He's a zoologist/conservationist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
10 O'Clock Live trailer

Not sure you can take much away from that on what the show will actually be like, but still funny.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"That was the news, don't blame me" is gold.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is Lauren Laverne pregnant or is she just getting fat?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
She's pregnant.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The only comedians it is acceptable to like are Stewart Lee, and anyone that Stewart Lee says are good.

(If this is your opinion then you are a oval office, btw.)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Does anyone have a link to that video of Brian Cox with his voice dubbed to be that of a moron? You know, "Clouds. Where do they come from? Volcanoes!"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn8j7S4uKU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Muppetjedi posted:

She's pregnant.

Was pregnant. The baby was born last September.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Muppetjedi posted:

She's pregnant.

Secretly inseminated by Andrew Collings no doubt.

The spoof Brian Cox thing is great, reminds me of the old Fast Show "Brilliant!" bits.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Thanks. Would you believe that a Youtube search for "Wonders of the Solar System spoof" previously turned up nothing?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anybody else find the current Morrison's advert kind of creepy? With the pulsating food, and marching and exploding sounds. Weirds me out.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Theres something on BBC1 at the moment thats a bit like Watchdog but doesn't even bother to name and shame the shocking cheaters/businesses/whatevers, its literally just people :argh:ing for the sake of :argh: with no advice or useful information behind it whatsoever.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

A5H posted:

I have the biggest loving crush on him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Daimo posted:

Given that he is the Messiah ? No.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Megaterium posted:

It's quite old but there's a series of videos by Iain Lee ringing up these sort of programs with the same answer over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0au9lnZYE

These are fantastic, especially the ones with the female presenter where she becomes obsessed with him and eventually discovers his true identity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think Prof Cox might have enjoyed his talk with the ISS crew.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think Prof Cox might have enjoyed his talk with the ISS crew.

That gave me warm fuzzies for some reason. It was really awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

These are fantastic, especially the ones with the female presenter where she becomes obsessed with him and eventually discovers his true identity.

I still sometimes answer random questions with "is it Ghostbusters 2?"

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh man, watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year right now and it really is not so good. The lineup is far more irritating this year and it just seems riddled with very predictable stuff. Shame.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

Oh man, watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year right now and it really is not so good. The lineup is far more irritating this year and it just seems riddled with very predictable stuff. Shame.

Yeah, I watched that tonight too. Ruth Jones literally speaks for perhaps a minute total in the entire show. And it's not a good minute. Noel and Richard seemed to just be phoning it in. Louis Spence was probably the best thing about the whole show :smithicide:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They forgot that they need actual chemistry in and between the teams. On top of that Alan Carr is just not funny.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

10 O'Clock Live trailer

Not sure you can take much away from that on what the show will actually be like, but still funny.

Reminds me of a cross between The Onion and the 11 o'clock show (please god let it be a modern version of the 11 o'clock show).

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

BizarroAzrael posted:

10 O'Clock Live trailer

I went to the unbroadcast pilot they did before xmas. Suffered a bit from the fact that cast, crew and audience knew it was completely fake and never going to see the light of day. Jimmy Carr seemed to get a bit pissed off when jokes didn't get him a huge round of adulation, Brooker was uncomfortable-looking even on fake live TV. David Mitchell by far and away the sharpest wit on the panel and managing a decent chairing of a debate about data security and Wikileaks. Lauren Laverne... I suppose they had to have a girl to make it less like a sort of lefty news Top Gear.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.

Oh my loving God it doesn't get funnier and funnier the more you do that "I'm going to pretend I don't know the answer and write down whatever random butterfly roundabout jellyfish in a purple tinted turtleneck bullshit pops into my oh-so-precious head" shut up shut up SHUT UP

and yeah, just to prove I'm not biased: The rest of it was poo poo, too. I only got to March so maybe it got amazing after that, I don't know.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
Plus while I love Jimmy Carr, his laugh sounds like a suffocating hyena.