Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Millstone posted:

I caught that. I was thinking to myself, 'no way, she has to know what she just said.' Unless "youthanize" just became a word

Howard ragging on Richard was terrible. What an rear end in a top hat. Richard actually finding modest success in something he loves is upsetting to Hamptons Howie. Howard has never come across as more jealous.

And Gary and Jon couldn't wait to wrap up the wrapup show exactly at 11am

Last year, I believe the show played some of Richard's drum work when he was with Death. And they, with the exception of Fred, ragged on him then, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Howard actually kinda sounded annoyed today by the Bubba stuff. I think he was told that Bubba would take whatever deal they offered him and now he/Tim is scrambling around trying to figure out how to fill the time slot.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Last year, I believe the show played some of Richard's drum work when he was with Death. And they, with the exception of Fred, ragged on him then, too.

Actually what comes to mind for me is the Tradio call clip about Charred Walls of the Damned where it is revealed that Richard named his new band after it. Artie was supportive and I think everyone else was too.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Millstone posted:

I caught that. I was thinking to myself, 'no way, she has to know what she just said.' Unless "youthanize" just became a word

Maybe she's a Megadeth fan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

musclecoder posted:

I love how everyone is down on Richard for having a side band.

Gary just said "so if you don't make any money, why do you do it?"

I'm glad Richard is standing up for himself.

Edit: I do love Sal's racist raps and logic.

Wait they were giving Richard poo poo for having a band?

Was there a valid reason or jealousy that he has a passion other than being on the Greatest Radio Show of All Time

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Howard actually kinda sounded annoyed today by the Bubba stuff. I think he was told that Bubba would take whatever deal they offered him and now he/Tim is scrambling around trying to figure out how to fill the time slot.

That honestly doesn't surprise me. Sirius really screwed around with Bubba. They could have had him tied up exclusive years ago for a modest price. If I remember right he wasn't looking for anything crazy either, like around what that Mad Dog(?) guy was making which was what 3 or 5 million a year?

I really feel that the Bubba thing is really indicative of one of the huge problems of Sirius which is it is overly New York/Tri-State focused and centric. Bubba has his horse and pony show in Flordia and no one there cares. It is why they gave that Mad Dog guy that money even though the rest of the country has no idea who he is.

I think ultimately Radio IO will be a success. Sirius is scrambling to try to jump on the mobile wireless stuff but frankly I think it is too late. They got all that lovely hardware and lovely programming out there, the online streaming app is awful and requires you to spend even more money to use it. I got my worth out of the lifetime sub but I can't imagine the service is going to be around for that much longer.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Howard expects every drummer in a song to sound like the intro to Hot for Teacher.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

-Atom- posted:

Howard expects every drummer in a song to sound like the intro to Hot for Teacher.

Didnt Richard play Hot for Teacher for Howard in the studio last year?

Been listening to Radioio this afternoon. Currently they are replaying the AM show, but earlier they were just playing tons of best of bits. It was just bit after bit commercial free. Very enjoyable.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Didnt Richard play Hot for Teacher for Howard in the studio last year?

Been listening to Radioio this afternoon. Currently they are replaying the AM show, but earlier they were just playing tons of best of bits. It was just bit after bit commercial free. Very enjoyable.

Yep, can't wait for the BB app to carry the show, then I can stream it via BT Audio to my car.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Wait they were giving Richard poo poo for having a band?

Was there a valid reason or jealousy that he has a passion other than being on the Greatest Radio Show of All Time

Pure jealousy. Howard even said "why don't you go make some phony calls while on your break?" It was pretty rage inducing. And this isn't ragging on one of Jackie's lovely CD's, Richard was a legitimate metal drummer for years. Dude has insane talent.

And Richard can play the intro to Hot For Teacher, he did it without much warmup either.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do I have to sign up for Radioio or something? I can't get this thing to play anything.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Do I have to sign up for Radioio or something? I can't get this thing to play anything.

I had the same problem on and off the last few days. I think they are just getting slammed. I just kept refreshing the page and hitting play. Eventually it started to work.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I had the same problem on and off the last few days. I think they are just getting slammed. I just kept refreshing the page and hitting play. Eventually it started to work.

Impossible! Bubba has no following, that's why Sirius dropped him.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

musclecoder posted:

Pure jealousy. Howard even said "why don't you go make some phony calls while on your break?" It was pretty rage inducing. And this isn't ragging on one of Jackie's lovely CD's, Richard was a legitimate metal drummer for years. Dude has insane talent.

And Richard can play the intro to Hot For Teacher, he did it without much warmup either.

I think that's what Fred said, as well. Heavy metal wasn't his sort of thing, but he knows Richard has talent behind the drumkit.
Richard's gonna be pretty busy with his metal bands this year.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Howard taking poo poo on the Windows 7 phones and having a "Commodore 64 phone" was pretty awesome, I must admit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

beergod posted:

Howard taking poo poo on the Windows 7 phones and having a "Commodore 64 phone" was pretty awesome, I must admit.

I haven't tried a Windows 7 phone, but my Android phone doesn't have a ton more functionality than my old WindowsMobile phone. It's just that the hardware is good enough that my failures happen more quickly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Holy poo poo Fratto bought the midget an EVO awhile back. That phone is loving bigger than him.

e: oh god look at his fingers :gonk:

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

On the phone with Sirius right now to remove 1 of my radios and they are seriously giving me the run around.
They asked why I was canceling one of the radios and I told them I didnt use the car its in anymore(legit reason) and before I could tell them why I was canceling it the woman goes "its because of Howard stern isnt it"

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

The WUS ending at 11 is the loving best thing to happen so far. I usually don't go into work until 8:30-9 and now I get to hear the start of the show instead of Gary saying "excuse me sir, what do you do for a living".

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

musclecoder posted:

Seriously. Christ, Howard was a dick today. Like he doesn't have any idea how album royalties/recouping works all of the sudden.

Also, yeah there's no way a radio guy could really be homeless but that comic-book-store-lair superhero guy story isn't fake at all. gently caress's sake, I'm surprised there aren't unemployed-radio-guy shanty towns all across the U.S.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There are. They're called Clear Channel stations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

I think ultimately Radio IO will be a success. Sirius is scrambling to try to jump on the mobile wireless stuff but frankly I think it is too late. They got all that lovely hardware and lovely programming out there, the online streaming app is awful and requires you to spend even more money to use it. I got my worth out of the lifetime sub but I can't imagine the service is going to be around for that much longer.

It doesn't help that Sirius likes to nickel-and-dime everything under the sun, either. Charging paying subscribers for a web feed is absurd. At least Bubba is getting out while the getting is good.

musclecoder posted:

Howard simply don't like people who have talent that he didn't give them. If he was a bit more humble he would be in a better place in his life. But Richard is going to be in the Billy West/Stuttering John band of people who made it big outside of the show. Plus he's humble as all hell. You gotta love Richard.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

On the phone with Sirius right now to remove 1 of my radios and they are seriously giving me the run around.
They asked why I was canceling one of the radios and I told them I didnt use the car its in anymore(legit reason) and before I could tell them why I was canceling it the woman goes "its because of Howard stern isnt it"

You're kidding.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I worry that later on this month we'll find out Richard quit his band to appease Howard. If that happens I'm unsubscribing from this thread and will be done with Howard. Richard is awesome and I'll be heartbroken if they drive him to do that for their approval :ohdear:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

AltronHGX posted:

I worry that later on this month we'll find out Richard quit his band to appease Howard. If that happens I'm unsubscribing from this thread and will be done with Howard. Richard is awesome and I'll be heartbroken if they drive him to do that for their approval :ohdear:

Why not just email Richard and give him some support for his band? I'm sure if we all email he'll maintain his enthusiasm. And honestly..would Richard really quit anything for Howard Stern? Come on.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

AltronHGX posted:

I kind of feel like Howard was just prodding and looking for something to discuss.

Hell, during Gary's book he let it slip a number of times that he was selling books by picking it apart with everyone else.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

AltronHGX posted:

I doubt it'll happen - Richard is the most self-confident guy on the show, and I think that's what drives Howard nuts. He can make fun of his weird quirks like loving halloween, not showering, and wearing diapers to rock concerts, but at the end of the day Richard just laughs it off, goes home, fucks his woman and has a few beers, watches some movies and goes to sleep happy.

The dude is amazing - he is getting paid to make prank phone calls and play drums in a metal band - this is like the dream life for every midwestern teenager I grew up with.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

therapy posted:

I doubt it'll happen - Richard is the most self-confident guy on the show, and I think that's what drives Howard nuts. He can make fun of his weird quirks like loving halloween, not showering, and wearing diapers to rock concerts, but at the end of the day Richard just laughs it off, goes home, fucks his woman and has a few beers, watches some movies and goes to sleep happy.

The dude is amazing - he is getting paid to make prank phone calls and play drums in a metal band - this is like the dream life for every midwestern teenager I grew up with.
Hell yeah, Richard in one day of his life has more happiness and fulfillment than Howard has had in his entire life. Howard just wishes he had a passion or interest in anything but loving Beth anymore.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

I think everyone needs to slam sternshow@howardstern.com with their opinion on this matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNw4nbG69s&feature=player_embedded!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AltronHGX posted:

Hell yeah, Richard in one day of his life has more happiness and fulfillment than Howard has had in his entire life. Howard just wishes he had a passion or interest in anything but loving Beth anymore.

Seriously. Misery loves company and Howard is a perfect example of this.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

AltronHGX posted:

Howard pretty obviously also thinks he could be a rock star. In some of the older shows (I've only been listening since Sirius - maybe somebody can confirm this) it seems like he would often try to jam with guests on guitar. He's a horrible guitar player with a stunted sense of rhythm. Even worse is when he tries to sing, because he clearly can't properly hear the pitch of his own voice when he sings (this was horrible when he tried to sing a long with musical guests, but you can also hear it when he occasionally shows his cheesy radio DJ side by singing over top of songs when he cuts to the studio), because he's horrible at that too.

Considering these things, it makes perfect sense that he would be jealous about Richard who appears to be naturally talented and who actually understands the fundamentals (and more) of making music.

Also, just in a general sense Howard's career and personal growth has been plateaued for years now and Richard on the other hand has been on a steady upswing which has been even more dramatic lately with his weight loss and music.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It doesn't help that Sirius likes to nickel-and-dime everything under the sun, either. Charging paying subscribers for a web feed is absurd. At least Bubba is getting out while the getting is good.

I know that this is only day two of the radioio situation and it is a repeat of their show from the morning, but so far it's pretty awesome because there have been zero commercials for the entire show.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

heavy liquid posted:

Not true. You're allowed three transfers to new equipment which costs an additional $75 transfer fee and a $15 activation fee.

I'm still on my original Sirius Sportster (the one with the good FM transmitter). However, it's become kind of finicky... I have to move it around a bit sometimes to get a connection to the antenna. Still, five years with the original equipment isn't bad. Sounds like you haven't had as good luck with your equipment, though.

This just happened to my starmate 4 a few weeks before christmas. You get the same "Antenna not detected" thing on the display?
I bought a starmate 5 on boxing day, and cancelled my 4, but I took it apart and I think I've found the problem. Assuming yours isn't on the antenna itself, then open it up and take a look inside where it plugs in to the dock. Use a magnifying glass if you have to. On mine there is a little soldered joint that broke. I'm still trying to figure out how to solder somethnig that small, but I will come up with a solution soon, I hope.
I switch my radio between my car and work vehicles, and always take it off the dock when I'm working/leaving my car wherever. So I suspect that after a few years of that joint flexing, and moving it finally broke.

Also, as the iron shiek would probably say "gently caress THE ERIC THE MIDGET, HE IS A CHEAP JEW human being SON OF A BITCH, I WILL gently caress HIS rear end AND MAKE HIM HUMBLE"!!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

InfiniteZero posted:

Howard pretty obviously also thinks he could be a rock star.

That vacation week a few years ago when they aired nothing but segments about The Losers was the worst event of my life.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

InfiniteZero posted:

Howard pretty obviously also thinks he could be a rock star. In some of the older shows (I've only been listening since Sirius - maybe somebody can confirm this) it seems like he would often try to jam with guests on guitar. He's a horrible guitar player with a stunted sense of rhythm. Even worse is when he tries to sing, because he clearly can't properly hear the pitch of his own voice when he sings (this was horrible when he tried to sing a long with musical guests, but you can also hear it when he occasionally shows his cheesy radio DJ side by singing over top of songs when he cuts to the studio), because he's horrible at that too.

Considering these things, it makes perfect sense that he would be jealous about Richard who appears to be naturally talented and who actually understands the fundamentals (and more) of making music.

Also, just in a general sense Howard's career and personal growth has been plateaued for years now and Richard on the other hand has been on a steady upswing which has been even more dramatic lately with his weight loss and music.

You hit the nail on the head this time. In Howard's view, things come easy to Richard. Howard looks at him as some creepy backwoods redneck with weird hobbies, and a lot of that is true, but it does show how ridiculously sheltered Howard's life has been.

Remember a few years back when Ronnie got a new car and put a loud exhaust on it? Howard was dumbfounded. "Who would want to make a car louder?" he said. It was like he'd never heard of the muscle car industry or the entirety of people who buy anything with a V8 engine or larger. He's not a car guy - fine. But you'd think at least he would understand that some people ARE car guys.

But that's one of his weaknesses. Richard's life is confusing to Howard because Richard didn't live the crazy OCD sheltered life that Howard did, and yet he's more attractive and happier than Howard. And that kills Howard because in his mind he's got everything he ever wanted: a hot blonde wife, bajillions of dollars, and the ability to make his own schedule.

Your rock star thing is right on, too. Howard is deluding himself when he says he could host a game show, too. Can you imagine how lovely Deal or No Deal would have been with Howard as the host? I mean, it sucks rear end now. With Howard, it'd be like a running joke.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I don't even know why I keep visiting this thread.

I hate the excuse of, "I'm a fan of the show, but I can still criticize the things I don't like." -- which, by the way, seems to be A) huge parts of the show or B) Nit picky poo poo. But you don't criticize the show -- you show personal dislikes for cast members of the shows, calling them phonies, fakes, out of touch -- I mean real kind of visceral hate-filled stuff. "Artie loving sucks, it's a shame he didn't die" and "Howard is an old decrepit shithead who can't enjoy life, and he's out of touch, wishes he was a rock star, hates Beth" or whatever. I mean... seriously. Hamptons Howie? :lol:

Howard is happy with his life. Doing poo poo he doesn't like makes him miserable -- just like us. Luckily, he doesn't have to do poo poo that makes him any more miserable than us folks when poo poo doesn't go our way. Yeah, he may be neurotic, but so what? If you find his neuroses to be annoying, then you fundamentally shouldn't really listen to the show.

The show is not bad. The show is not as great as it once was. Artie missing from the show, really is what the big downer of the show is. Artie really made the show the best it was in the past decade since he's been there. Jackie times were OK, but not as good as the Artie days. Artie and Howard were way better than Howard and Jackie ever were.

If Artie came back, the show would be kick rear end again, but right now, it's just kinda lost the appeal it once had.

You guys got the hater blinders on hard. I see the show for what it is... a comedy show, meant to make me laugh, and if it doesn't, I don't listen as much as I did (daily, full-runs) when I was able to back in the 90s and early 00s. I probably listen to 3 to 5 hours of Stern a week now just because I'm so busy and don't have a job that allows me to sit around all day, and when I'm home from work I have other poo poo to do than sit listening to his show, but, you guys take it WAY too personal.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Frell posted:

...and goblins and ghoulies and spiders and Mexicans and... http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/8548/zombie-santa-and-richard-christys-holiday-horror-fest

On that note... does anyone have the prank call you are referencing?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hunter x az posted:

Howard is happy with his life. Doing poo poo he doesn't like makes him miserable -- just like us. Luckily, he doesn't have to do poo poo that makes him any more miserable than us folks when poo poo doesn't go our way. Yeah, he may be neurotic, but so what?

Not at all. Do you hear the way he reacts whenever he gets invited to some sort of party or any other social event and what a loving nightmare it sounds like to him? The dude struggles with any sort of social environment that's not in a studio. He's perfectly relaxed, comfortable and in control on his show. But once he's out of his element he's sounds crazy and unhappy to me.

(I base this on every single thing he has ever said about his life outside of the show)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
People have a problem with Howard being a neurotic, whiny douche when he's trying to legitimately down someone like Richard. Its not like he's messing with Sal, whose life is already a full-fledged disaster. Richard is clearly the most friendly, personable person on the staff and he's been a fan favorite from day 1 of Get John's Job.

In some ways, he's treating Richard like Stuttering John. John did a lot of the same stuff as Richard to try and get his name out there and do something beyond the show and Howard poo poo on literally everything, whether it was good or bad. Now because John was an rear end and a troublemaker, he got his due but Richard doesn't do anything but try to please Howard on the show. You never hear stories about him being a prick, ignoring fans, gossiping amongst the staff, etc. He's a genuinely great guy that is virtually impossible to hate and people have a real issue with Howard when he tries to rip him for no reason whatsoever.

Howard has a problem with Richard, he truly does. For instance, Howard spends thousands of dollars to be an average to above-average chess player whereas Richard lived in a warehouse shack and taught himself to be one of the greatest heavy metal drummers. That eats at Howard, he's too neurotic for it not to do so. Then it simply manifests itself into a boil and eventually he gets sick of hearing about anyone outside of maybe Robin having outside success and becomes king douche like he did today. Its extremely childish and petty which is shocking and not shocking given that it is Howard Stern.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Howard sat in a lovely apartment in Detroit and taught himself how to be the greatest radio DJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

People have a problem with Howard being a neurotic, whiny douche when he's trying to legitimately down someone like Richard. Its not like he's messing with Sal, whose life is already a full-fledged disaster. Richard is clearly the most friendly, personable person on the staff and he's been a fan favorite from day 1 of Get John's Job.

In some ways, he's treating Richard like Stuttering John. John did a lot of the same stuff as Richard to try and get his name out there and do something beyond the show and Howard poo poo on literally everything, whether it was good or bad. Now because John was an rear end and a troublemaker, he got his due but Richard doesn't do anything but try to please Howard on the show. You never hear stories about him being a prick, ignoring fans, gossiping amongst the staff, etc. He's a genuinely great guy that is virtually impossible to hate and people have a real issue with Howard when he tries to rip him for no reason whatsoever.

Howard has a problem with Richard, he truly does. For instance, Howard spends thousands of dollars to be an average to above-average chess player whereas Richard lived in a warehouse shack and taught himself to be one of the greatest heavy metal drummers. That eats at Howard, he's too neurotic for it not to do so. Then it simply manifests itself into a boil and eventually he gets sick of hearing about anyone outside of maybe Robin having outside success and becomes king douche like he did today. Its extremely childish and petty which is shocking and not shocking given that it is Howard Stern.

Exactly.

Richard has a lot of commitment and faith in his abilities. He also recognizes that being nice to everybody is a good way to get ahead in the business. He also realizes when he's being ragged on and knows that if he lets it get to him then they win. Nothing is worth more in life than being secure in yourself and letting poo poo truly slide.

FogHelmut posted:

Howard sat in a lovely apartment in Detroit and taught himself how to be the greatest radio DJ.

In Detroit there's nothing else for you to do except sit in your apartment. It's either too cold or too depressing.