Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Manwithastick posted:

Another question (I know so soon) but does anybody have stories/vids of the 10 bell remembrance ever being disrespected? I just saw it happen at CZW and it was very interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGPQZeXa4U

They had one for Misawa at a ROH show, and some rear end in a top hat tried to start a chant during it. Pissed off a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Tarodia posted:

They had one for Misawa at a ROH show, and some rear end in a top hat tried to start a chant during it. Pissed off a lot of people.

What was the chant? I'm guessing either "boring" or "THIS IS AWESOME *clap clap clap clap clap*"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ozz81 posted:

It was a surprise to me, I haven't bought or read a WWE magazine since I was like 12 :colbert:

While I think the return was mishandled, I do always laugh when people religiously read spoiler threads, read all up on future plans in dirtsheets etc, etc and then complain that there aren't any surprises anymore :)

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

While I think the return was mishandled, I do always laugh when people religiously read spoiler threads, read all up on future plans in dirtsheets etc, etc and then complain that there aren't any surprises anymore :)

Even more fun is when they speculate on what's going to happen so hard that they're convinced it will, then complain about everything being too predictable. Then when it doesn't happen, they complain about the company not delivering!

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

RoleModel posted:

What was the chant? I'm guessing either "boring" or "THIS IS AWESOME *clap clap clap clap clap*"

I don't even remember. I just remember standing there fuming with rage after hearing some dude up in the balcony trying to start something. It didn't last long thankfully, someone near him probably threatened him or something. My guess is that it was the same guy that tried to start an "overrated" chant during Danielson's match.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
Two questions wrestlehut.

1. How do you pronounce kayfabe? In my head I always say kay-fah-bee because that's how I first overheard it, but I heard kay-FAYB and that seems to make a hell of a lot more sense.

2. What's the best way to convince my non-wrestling fan friends to order the Rumble so I have someone to watch it with (and split the cost)? I don't think they have any problem with wrestling per se, they just aren't really fans of it, but the Rumble is great and should be watched by everyone.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Here's a question inspired by reading the last few posts in the Rumble topic:

Why in the gently caress does so much of IWC seem to think Muhammad Hassan was so good?
It seems like nobody but me was actually WATCHING the dude's matches, or everyone else for some inexplicable reason has rose-colored glasses for the entire 2004-2005 WWE period.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Faxman posted:

Two questions wrestlehut.

1. How do you pronounce kayfabe? In my head I always say kay-fah-bee because that's how I first overheard it, but I heard kay-FAYB and that seems to make a hell of a lot more sense.

2. What's the best way to convince my non-wrestling fan friends to order the Rumble so I have someone to watch it with (and split the cost)? I don't think they have any problem with wrestling per se, they just aren't really fans of it, but the Rumble is great and should be watched by everyone.

1. Kay-fabe. Pig latin for fake.
2. If it ain't their thing, don't be a sponge.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Offer a lottery to win back a little of the money based on drawing rumble entry numbers out of a hat. If there are six people going in, everyone gets five numbers or something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Here's a question inspired by reading the last few posts in the Rumble topic:

Why in the gently caress does so much of IWC seem to think Muhammad Hassan was so good?
It seems like nobody but me was actually WATCHING the dude's matches, or everyone else for some inexplicable reason has rose-colored glasses for the entire 2004-2005 WWE period.

It was a disgusting angle where we were meant to hate the wrestlers who wanted to be accepted where they went and that were tired of redneck idiots calling them towel heads. This wouldn't be so bad but they had a Italian pretending to be Muslim. It was simply blatant race baiting at it's worst but some people will still argue blue in the face that it wasn't race baiting even thought the last thing he did was mock execute The Undertaker surrounded by terrorists.

"But listen to the heat!" gently caress off. There's two reasons I can think of for someone to boo them. Ether they were as disgusted by the angle as I was or they were booing him because they were responding positively to the race baiting. Ether way I was embarrassed to call myself a wrestling fan when they were on the screen, even more than Katie Vick or Hornswoggle. At least those were just misguided attempts at humour.

The fact that he was a crappy wrestler meant nothing to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Fucken_Gieux posted:

"Fake" in pig latin is "akefay", but that's very similar to how kayfabe is pronounced.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Fucken_Gieux posted:

It isn't Pig Latin, it's Carny.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Gonzo McFee posted:

...some people will still argue blue in the face that it wasn't race baiting even thought the last thing he did was mock execute The Undertaker surrounded by terrorists.

The problem with this argument is that is assumes consistent planning by the WWE writers. Early Hassan and terrorist-emulating Hassan are pretty frigging different, and I don't think that having him mock-executing people was the plan from the get-go. Somewhere along the way, Vince changed his mind or some shittier writer got his hands on it or something (which would make sense, since the execution thing happened not too long after he moved to Smackdown, wasn't it?).

I really liked the earliest incarnation of the character. When he first appeared, aside from the Italian pretending to be Muslim thing, he was that classic heel who's right, but is a complete rear end in a top hat about it (see "better than you" Punk). I thought it was fairly edgy, sure, but not really offensive.

But, no argument, by the time he started feuding with Undertaker all the subtlety of the early stuff was gone and it was just in poor taste. I never got the sense that they intended to take it in that direction when Hassan debuted, though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WeaselWeaz posted:

It isn't Pig Latin, it's Carny.

Such a shame that Kizarny never got a Word Up segment of his very own.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

jscolon2.0 posted:

Such a shame that Kizarny never got a Word Up segment of his very own.

He got like five intro vignettes though.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Writer Cath posted:

He got like fizzive intro vignettes though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Perry Normal posted:

The problem with this argument is that is assumes consistent planning by the WWE writers. Early Hassan and terrorist-emulating Hassan are pretty frigging different, and I don't think that having him mock-executing people was the plan from the get-go. Somewhere along the way, Vince changed his mind or some shittier writer got his hands on it or something (which would make sense, since the execution thing happened not too long after he moved to Smackdown, wasn't it?).

I really liked the earliest incarnation of the character. When he first appeared, aside from the Italian pretending to be Muslim thing, he was that classic heel who's right, but is a complete rear end in a top hat about it (see "better than you" Punk). I thought it was fairly edgy, sure, but not really offensive.

But, no argument, by the time he started feuding with Undertaker all the subtlety of the early stuff was gone and it was just in poor taste. I never got the sense that they intended to take it in that direction when Hassan debuted, though.
You are in the minority of posters who seem to understand the issue perfectly. Hassan was always a heel character, right from the first vignette. The degree of subtlety just changed drastically.

This time of year has me conjuring up some foggy memories of old Royal Rumble events. A lot of Rumbles seemed to have random people thrown in - not mystery/surprise entrants, but people who were promoted as being in the Rumble, would show up for the match, then disappear. Some names that come to mind are Dory Funk Jr., Shane Douglas (appeared more than once), Squat Team, Tenryu, and Kateo (sp?). Did these guys stick around for a while and I just don't remember it, or were these all just one-shot deals? Oh there was also that group of lucha libre guys in the '97 Rumble, but I believe that was part of some cross-promotion with AAA they were doing at the time.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2011

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

What was the theory behind the phase-out of the noggin knocker? That did get phased-out, right - like, indies don't use it? Looking back at the old Rumbles and stuff from the "cartoon"(?) era, it got used a fuckton, but I can't imagine that ever being taken seriously.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Minidust posted:

This time of year has me conjuring up some foggy memories of old Royal Rumble events. A lot of Rumbles seemed to have random people thrown in - not mystery/surprise entrants, but people who were promoted as being in the Rumble, would show up for the match, then disappear. Some names that come to mind are Dory Funk Jr., Shane Douglas (appeared more than once), Squat Team, Tenryu, and Kateo (sp?). Did these guys stick around for a while and I just don't remember it, or were these all just one-shot deals? Oh there was also that group of lucha libre guys in the '97 Rumble, but I believe that was part of some cross-promotion with AAA they were doing at the time.

For all the stuff I know about Rumbles, this is the stuff that escapes me.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Tenyru & Kitao had a match against Demolition at Wrestlemania 7. Dick Murdoch showed up at the 95 Rumble.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Watching that chair shot Hardy gave Anderson on TNA got me thinking....

How do gimmicked chairs/weapons work and can fans tell the difference between a chair that's been gimmicked and hasn't?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Offer a lottery to win back a little of the money based on drawing rumble entry numbers out of a hat. If there are six people going in, everyone gets five numbers or something.

Have a Rumble sweep or devise a drinking game to go along with it, the Rumble should be fun enough for non-wrestling fans to enjoy making a drinking game out of it.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 6, 2011

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

Trust me, it was always the intent to have him go full terrorist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

How do gimmicked chairs/weapons work and can fans tell the difference between a chair that's been gimmicked and hasn't?
I honestly don't think there are gimmicked chairs. There's no trick to it. You either get your hand up or you don't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, they could go the WWE route and use plastic chairs, but, you know, TNA.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Plastic chairs hurt a hell of a lot more according to Taz.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Minidust posted:

Sometimes they were just one-shot deals to pop the local crowd or TV audience, sometimes they were guys who didn't pan out. Dory Funk was I believe in Texas and I believe WWE was working with his wrestling school at the time, before WWE had developmental. Shane Douglas was in WWE a few times but never stuck around. Samoan Squat Team I think were getting try-outs at the time and were shoved into the match to basically be squashed by Yokozuna and Vader. Tenryu ran the SWS promotion in Japan, where Kitao wrestled, and they co-promoted shows with WWE in Japan. The AAA guys were in because WWE was working with them to produce Los Super Astros to compete with WCW for the Mexican market in the US.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Plastic chairs hurt a hell of a lot more according to Taz.

The issue I think Foley or Taz said was that wrestlers go "Hey, these are less dangerous and lighters" so they hit guys even harder than they would with a metal chair.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I honestly don't think there are gimmicked chairs. There's no trick to it. You either get your hand up or you don't.
Ah okay, I'd just heard them referenced and took at it face value.

I really just don't want to see head shots any more.

The plastic chair thing is probably a very valid responce, I could definitely see people getting really careless because of it.

I think there deffinitely needs to be some type of education program put into effect at least for the majors, I get the impression that pro wrestling is very much dangerously unregulated, there needs to be some type of external body (or even a union) over seeing what these companies do that doesn't have a financial interest in the promotions to ensure the safety of workers.

However, I do know how unlikely this would be.
Edit: Maybe 'No chance in hell' is more suitable.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 6, 2011

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

The steel seat on the chairs Balls Mahoney use seem to be a lot thinner.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

I think there deffinitely needs to be some type of education program put into effect at least for the majors, I get the impression that pro wrestling is very much dangerously unregulated, there needs to be some type of external body (or even a union) over seeing what these companies do that doesn't have a financial interest in the promotions to ensure the safety of workers.
Vince McMahon just flipped an entire row of cubicles. I hope you're happy.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
The mental image of that did give me an idiotic smile.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is there anywhere on the internet to watch ROH's weekly show? I've been wanting to check them out for awhile but I can't find anything.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Alright, where the gently caress do I start with Chikara?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

Trust me, it was always the intent to have him go full terrorist.

I think the real importance is that it could have been handled a lot better, and was handled from the start better.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

savinhill posted:

Is there anywhere on the internet to watch ROH's weekly show? I've been wanting to check them out for awhile but I can't find anything.

They used to be on youtube but ROH put a stop to that once they began selling their Best Of DVDs.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The A-Team Van posted:

Alright, where the gently caress do I start with Chikara?

There's a five dollar sampler on their website. I started with 2009 King of Trios, used that to find wrestlers I liked, got dvds featuring those wrestlers, rinse, repeat. Important poo poo tends to happen at King of Trios, Anniversarios, Young Lions Cups, and Ciberneticos. Ciberneticos especially, as they tend to give you an idea of that years biggest feud.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There's a five dollar sampler on their website. I started with 2009 King of Trios, used that to find wrestlers I liked, got dvds featuring those wrestlers, rinse, repeat. Important poo poo tends to happen at King of Trios, Anniversarios, Young Lions Cups, and Ciberneticos. Ciberneticos especially, as they tend to give you an idea of that years biggest feud.

This. I did the exact same thing. I started with KOT 09 because of Team Uppercut (I was already a big fan of Dave Taylor and Danielson) and my cousin's incredibly strong recommendation of the Ibushi-Jigsaw-Generico-Jackson match. Six months later, I'm a huge Claudio Castagnoli mark and Chikara is one of my very favourite things about wrestling.

BJR's advice is perfect- try the sampler and move out from there, and if you want to start with a specific show, KOT 09 is pretty great.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
It's that good, I'll even post a link to enable you to buy it

http://www.chikarapro.com/store.shtml#ecwid:category=285297&mode=product&product=867308

SHILL!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching Wrestling with Shadows, and Bret says he suspects Vince of sabotaging his career. It's in reference to Bret going from biggest baby face to biggest heel, and then Bret says Vince made Stone Cold the biggest face and HBK the biggest heel. Do ya'll think this is a case of Bret taking poo poo too seriously or do you think Vince was this evil? Also it was really weird to see Shawn playing with Bret's kid.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

apsouthern posted:

It's that good, I'll even post a link to enable you to buy it

http://www.chikarapro.com/store.shtml#ecwid:category=285297&mode=product&product=867308

SHILL!

Are you saying we should also buy a shirt from one if the previous Lion's Cup holders, Chuck Taylor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Watching Wrestling with Shadows, and Bret says he suspects Vince of sabotaging his career. It's in reference to Bret going from biggest baby face to biggest heel, and then Bret says Vince made Stone Cold the biggest face and HBK the biggest heel. Do ya'll think this is a case of Bret taking poo poo too seriously or do you think Vince was this evil? Also it was really weird to see Shawn playing with Bret's kid.

Add this, why the hell did Vince allow the doc to be filmed? Did they just happen to be making the film and all this crazy poo poo happened? Talk about luck.