Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dr. Leo Spaceman posted:

i'm sure you have anwsered these questions before but..

What does it mean when a regular street light is flashing red, and why does this happen?

A flashing red light means the same thing as a stop sign does. There are a few reasons why a normal signal would flash:

1) In off-peak hours, to save energy and reduce delay.
2) If a signal is new, it'll be put on flash for a week or so to get people used to its presence before it's "put on colors."
3) If the conflict monitor detects a fault.

quote:

What kind of schooling does this require is it a school of engineering which requires physics and such?

If you're interested in what I do, traffic engineering, then a degree in civil engineering is the way to go. If you prefer the more electrical aspects, then electrical engineering would be better. Either one is going to require some pretty basic physics: kinetics, E&M, thermodynamics, depending on the school, before you get fobbed off to the engineering department to work on some more specific subjects like statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Leo Spaceman posted:

What does it mean when a regular street light is flashing red, and why does this happen?

Street light or street signal? A street light flashing red could be a sign of the apocalypse or it could be a sodium vapor light that is failing.

A BS in civil engineering, BSCE, is math and science heavy so make sure you can handle calculus or at least get tutoring. In the real world very few engineers use advanced math but it shows you have some level of competency at handling difficult problems.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Millstone posted:

OP has one of your signals ever hosed up where it displays a green signal to all intersecting roads
In one of the local intersections, a low traffic signal somehow got rotated about 45 degrees, so you can see it showing red and the correct overhead signal showing green at the same time. It's been like that for a few days now, I'm surprised no one has fixed it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
You know what I hate about American signals is that they're usually hanging from wires, with the signal heads dangling right over my car. Like what the gently caress, how am I supposed to see that?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Millstone posted:

You know what I hate about American signals is that they're usually hanging from wires, with the signal heads dangling right over my car. Like what the gently caress, how am I supposed to see that?

That's not usually the case if you stop behind the white line.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Crackpipe posted:

It depends on the span. Diagonal spans can put the heads all over the place, but well designed spans will put signal heads on the far side of the intersection. We shoot for 40-120 feet from the stop bar.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Millstone posted:

We seem to be okay at it in Canada.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure it's just some effect of the photo used there, but the wires look somewhat purple.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Millstone posted:

Nobody makes cars with anyone over 6'2" in mind, so being 6'8" I either have to look out the sunroof or bend down to "the airbag will kill you if it goes off" height unless it's at least two lanes each way plus a turn lane. I've all but given up on complaining about it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Crackpipe posted:

no man I stop behind the line and if I'm first or second I immediately break my neck trying to keep an eye on the signal

e: NY, OH

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Millstone posted:

I think that's a least coast thing. Never seen it in Minnesota or California except during construction for temporary lights.

I have the same problem on other lights though because I'm fairly tall and the roof blocks the view.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

less than three posted:

We seem to be okay at it in Canada.

I think Ontario has this one in the bag pretty much. (Usually Mississauga has lenses that are too small for the application IMO)

Hamilton likes the black/green on yellow approach, but it's very rare to see anything strung by wires unless it's temporary. And it's never dangling right over your head. :shobon:

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 7, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Millstone posted:

I think Ontario has this one in the bag pretty much. (Usually Mississauga has lenses that are too small for the application IMO)

Hamilton likes the black/green on yellow approach, but it's very rare to see anything strung by wires unless it's temporary. And it's never dangling right over your head. :shobon:

I don't recall seeing any high signals in the median like those around here. Neat!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

less than three posted:

I don't recall seeing any high signals in the median like those around here. Neat!

I encourage as many lights as possible. I envision one day there will be a 38 foot wide LED bar of light across the entire intersection. :cool: It would be like Times Square in signal form. You may be blind, but god drat you will know if you're stopping or going.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

nm posted:

I think that's a least coast thing. Never seen it in Minnesota or California except during construction for temporary lights.

I have the same problem on other lights though because I'm fairly tall and the roof blocks the view.

It varies. I've seen it in the suburban Detroit area used quite often. I always disliked it for the same reasons.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

less than three posted:

That looks rather nice, too, for oversized vehicles that couldn't ordinarily fit under the stoplights.

Does this let them lower the lights to a more reasonable level for people to see? There are a few lights that I quite literally cannot see unless I drop the top on my convertible, and this is stopping behind the stop bar, mind you. I have to open the window and stick my head out, which is just plain asinine.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

That looks rather nice, too, for oversized vehicles that couldn't ordinarily fit under the stoplights.

Does this let them lower the lights to a more reasonable level for people to see? There are a few lights that I quite literally cannot see unless I drop the top on my convertible, and this is stopping behind the stop bar, mind you. I have to open the window and stick my head out, which is just plain asinine.

Our signal heads have to be at least 16 feet above the pavement, so they're visible when a tall truck's beneath them. In France, they mount supplemental signal heads on the mast arm/span pole, which I found quite useful, given the cramped nature of most intersections and the small cars.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
So one of the Bulldog pedestrian signal buttons at the intersection by my house is broken. (Gasp!)

Annoying because the light isn't long enough to cross if you don't call the ped phase. Turns yellow halfway through the intersection (and I walk fast.)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

less than three posted:

So one of the Bulldog pedestrian signal buttons at the intersection by my house is broken. (Gasp!)

Annoying because the light isn't long enough to cross if you don't call the ped phase. Turns yellow halfway through the intersection (and I walk fast.)

You should give Maintenance a call before someone gets creamed. Ped buttons don't often get checked, so they mostly rely on citizen complaints.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Here's my "deathtrap interchange" submission:

I can only imagine how many deaths that onramp to I-94E has caused. I avoid it at all costs. It is so out of spec that I wonder how it got built in the first place, especially since there are plenty of other interchanges in the area.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

Here's my "deathtrap interchange" submission:

I just pulled the on-ramp up in Street-View. It looked bad enough before I realized that they have a tree-line obscuring the on-ramp from the highway. At least it has a bit of time before the eventual merge, I guess?

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 13, 2011

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sundae posted:

I just pulled the on-ramp up in Street-View. It looked bad enough before I realized that they have a tree-line obscuring the on-ramp from the highway. At least it has a bit of time before the eventual merge, I guess?
A little bit, but the sightlines behind you are terrible because of the curve in the interstate, so you really have to cross your fingers that there isn't some speeding and/or drunk driver coming around the bend. There is a prominent warning sign on the interstate leading up to the onramp, but that doesn't mean people pay attention to it.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Gail Wynand posted:

A little bit, but the sightlines behind you are terrible because of the curve in the interstate, so you really have to cross your fingers that there isn't some speeding and/or drunk driver coming around the bend. There is a prominent warning sign on the interstate leading up to the onramp, but that doesn't mean people pay attention to it.

I'm betting the reason it's in its current location is because of the cemetery. That's really no excuse for the bad sight line, though. The accel lane looks far too short. The building east of the ramp looks to be abandoned; maybe they could bulldoze it and improve the curve, as well as widen the bridge over Jackson Ave to get a longer accel.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If that entrance ramp absolutely needs to be there, what about something like this?

It's not ideal, but I seriously doubt the weave conflict it creates would be worse than that ramp. Basically, turn Jackson and Wagner through Jackson and Lakeview into a big diverging diamond, reverse the flow of traffic on Jackson for the length of the split, and eliminate some U turns. I drew it a bit wrong, I should have kept the crossover to the intersection with Lakeview rather than west of it. If the entrance ramp were a street I would have made an unholy hybrid of a diverging diamond and continuous flow.

bgack
Jun 7, 2002

rambo
I guess this is why you always put some landscaping in the center of a roundabout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZHyTwjPug

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

If that entrance ramp absolutely needs to be there, what about something like this?

It's not ideal, but I seriously doubt the weave conflict it creates would be worse than that ramp. Basically, turn Jackson and Wagner through Jackson and Lakeview into a big diverging diamond, reverse the flow of traffic on Jackson for the length of the split, and eliminate some U turns. I drew it a bit wrong, I should have kept the crossover to the intersection with Lakeview rather than west of it. If the entrance ramp were a street I would have made an unholy hybrid of a diverging diamond and continuous flow.

The thing is that Weber's Inn, whose land you have the new onramp running on, is a very nice hotel (and conference/wedding venue) with a lot of political clout. So it's unlikely to countenance the construction of a new onramp so close to its building. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the reason why your solution didn't happen in the first place.

Also, people in Ann Arbor are crazy about trees, and tend to object any time a construction project cuts them down. This is probably why the trees obstructing the sightlines on the current onramp haven't been cut down.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

How would you treat the intersections at either end of the crossover? We try to limit all intersections to 4-leg.

bgack posted:

I guess this is why you always put some landscaping in the center of a roundabout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZHyTwjPug

Oh man, only one hour and dozens of near-misses? Raised center islands increase the target value hundredfold, and they also provide one more function: they block the sightline to the opposite approach, which actually helps the decision-making process for drivers entering the roundabout. Cars they can't see are too far away to yield to; it somewhat makes up for lack of experience.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Gail Wynand posted:

Also, people in Ann Arbor are crazy about trees, and tend to object any time a construction project cuts them down. This is probably why the trees obstructing the sightlines on the current onramp haven't been cut down.

All you have to do is break out the "we've had ## preventable accidents here in the last three years. How many people must die for the sake of a few trees?" argument, and then the tree-crazy folk suddenly become the bad guys.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Cichlidae posted:

they also provide one more function: they block the sightline to the opposite approach, which actually helps the decision-making process for drivers entering the roundabout. Cars they can't see are too far away to yield to; it somewhat makes up for lack of experience.
But it's less ideal if you want to cross one of the legs on foot when cars don't have to yield to you. You can't see cars coming from the other side, and as a pedestrian you'll have to walk drat fast if a car does appear from behind the scenery right after you checked if it's safe to cross.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Entropist posted:

But it's less ideal if you want to cross one of the legs on foot when cars don't have to yield to you. You can't see cars coming from the other side, and as a pedestrian you'll have to walk drat fast if a car does appear from behind the scenery right after you checked if it's safe to cross.

Cars always have to yield to a pedestrian and at the average speeds in a roundabout they will have enough time to stop when they see you.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

All you have to do is break out the "we've had ## preventable accidents here in the last three years. How many people must die for the sake of a few trees?" argument, and then the tree-crazy folk suddenly become the bad guys.
True. Anyway, the real problem is that the Michigan DOT doesn't have any money, and hasn't had any since the mid-90s. The only way they ever get funding for major maintenance projects is by threatening to shut down roads for safety reasons. They even threatened to shut down the main interstate to Canada a few years ago.

And it certainly doesn't help that some years ago the trucking lobby convinced the state legislature to set ridiculously high weight limits.

Oh well, this is why I don't live in Michigan anymore..

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Boy, we're taking a lot of flak over my project. I was out for a week sick, and when I got back, there was a stream of emails splattered across my monitor, as well as a few post-it notes on my desk.

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2011/01/13/news/doc4d2f3a0ac40ac174705514.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Officials face off over planned repairs to Arrigoni Bridge posted:

The audience of local officials listened to that portion of the presentation without objection. But that changed when Cutler said the work would require reducing the traffic lanes from four to two.

He said the lane reduction would only create problems during the morning and evening rush hours, or no more than eight hours in a day.

Middletown Mayor Sebastian Giuliani took exception to that assessment, however.

“I can’t conceive how that’s only going to create problems for eight hours; an accident now wreaks havoc in downtown Middletown, and in Portland, East Hampton and Glastonbury,” Giuliani said.

McHugh then asked if there was any flexibility in the DOT’s plans to reduce the traffic to two lanes.

No, Carey said, there is no flexibility.

McHugh worried about the impact such a reduction would have on business in the towns served by the bridge – and beyond.

“With four lanes now, it’s backed up to Cobalt,” McHugh said. “If you reduce it to two lanes, it will be backed up to Marlborough!”

Most of the comments on the article agree with our approach, fortunately. Those of you familiar with Connecticut know that any news article mentioning the DOT gets flooded with "fire them all" and the like.

To be fair, the 8 hours of delay is pretty realistic. I can predict right now how this is going to go down:

Day 1: 45-50 minute delays in the morning, 5 mile backup into East Hampton. 50-55 minute delays in the evening, blocking Route 9 for 2+ hours and downtown Middletown for 5+.

Day 2: About as much delay as normal for the route, as commuters will decide not to go that way.

Day 3: 30 minute delays in the morning and afternoon peaks.

Day 4 and beyond: 15-20 minute delays for about 4 hours in the morning and 4 at night. Not all that terrible, really, and this construction really needs to happen.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Even 15-20 minute delays is still pretty horrible from a commuter POV, as is having to drive 30 minutes out of your way to avoid them. You're a government servant; if the public demands a plan B, you might need to go to plan B.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cichlidae posted:

Boy, we're taking a lot of flak over my project. I was out for a week sick, and when I got back, there was a stream of emails splattered across my monitor, as well as a few post-it notes on my desk.

http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2011/01/13/news/doc4d2f3a0ac40ac174705514.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Most of the comments on the article agree with our approach, fortunately. Those of you familiar with Connecticut know that any news article mentioning the DOT gets flooded with "fire them all" and the like.

To be fair, the 8 hours of delay is pretty realistic. I can predict right now how this is going to go down:

Day 1: 45-50 minute delays in the morning, 5 mile backup into East Hampton. 50-55 minute delays in the evening, blocking Route 9 for 2+ hours and downtown Middletown for 5+.

Day 2: About as much delay as normal for the route, as commuters will decide not to go that way.

Day 3: 30 minute delays in the morning and afternoon peaks.

Day 4 and beyond: 15-20 minute delays for about 4 hours in the morning and 4 at night. Not all that terrible, really, and this construction really needs to happen.
Do they realize how much THIS:

hosed up traffic for us in Minneapolis.
Not only did people rubberneck at Marine 1, but we had to go miles out of our way to get north.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Even 15-20 minute delays is still pretty horrible from a commuter POV, as is having to drive 30 minutes out of your way to avoid them. You're a government servant; if the public demands a plan B, you might need to go to plan B.

Plan B is shutting down the bridge, establishing a 40-mile detour, and finishing the work in a few months instead of 3 years. We looked into keeping three lanes open (two in the peak direction), but the lanes are already substandard width. There is just no room to keep 3 lanes open unless we're willing to go with 9-foot lanes between barriers. That leaves 3 inches on each side of cars between their paint job and concrete. Buses have it worse, because their mirrors overhang the side, and pose a danger to the construction workers as well. It's just not possible.

nm posted:

Do they realize how much THIS:

hosed up traffic for us in Minneapolis.
Not only did people rubberneck at Marine 1, but we had to go miles out of our way to get north.

We had a similar collapse here back in 1983, but it seems everyone's forgotten about that already.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How much more does it cost to do construction at night / weekends versus during the day?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cichlidae posted:

Plan B is shutting down the bridge, establishing a 40-mile detour, and finishing the work in a few months instead of 3 years.

This sounds so vastly superior to me, as well as a shitload more efficient in terms of overhead.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mandalay posted:

How much more does it cost to do construction at night / weekends versus during the day?

Night, not so much, a night shift doesn't command greater pay than a day shift. Weekends cost more, you're probably looking at time-and-a-half for a weekend shift and double time for weekend overtime.

But another issue is pissing people off. Construction noise and traffic during the working day, people are okay with it. Set up a crew near anyone's house at night and they will bitch bitch bitch to every authority they can find.

Especially if you're paving and they try to pull out of their driveway over the hot fresh asphalt to be greeted by a large flagman saying NO.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
GDOT here in Atlanta always tries really hard to avoid construction lane closures during weekdays. Even during the big 75/85 repaving jobs there were almost no lane closures during normal working hours, only overnights and weekends. People still bitch about it, of course, but I think they do a pretty good job keeping disruptions to a minimum while still keeping the roads in good repair.

Rural Tennessee, on the other hand, seems to take the following approach to road construction:

Plan A: Scatter some random cones and barrels around blocking off half the road (usually the half that's actually passable), then wait and see if erosion and/or divine intervention will fix the problem.

Plan B: If Plan A fails to produce results within 18-24 months, send a couple guys out in a pickup truck to stare at the road for a few hours and maybe poke it with a shovel once or twice, then try Plan A again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

grover posted:

Even 15-20 minute delays is still pretty horrible from a commuter POV
I would pay an exorbitant amount of money to only have to deal with 15-20 minute delays on my daily commute.