Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
IIRC any of Intel's CPUs with the Boost can increase clock speed on multiple cores so long as at least one core is turned off. If there's only two physical cores, you'll only boost one core, but if there's 4 you could boost 3 or 2 cores instead of just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Thanks for the responses. I can put the money I save towards something that will boost performance by more. There's nothing I really need the 8 threads for right now. I've been reading too many forums where people dickwave their CPUs.

Don't forget that hordes of people will be selling off their i5s on craigslist once SB hits. That was my original plan, but mysteriously I snagged a brand new i5-750 for $120 in box today.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

You Am I posted:

But doesn't it only boost one of the cores? I may have misread that on another site.

Turbo Boost gives a larger boost if fewer cores are active. With SB turbo-capable chips (even the locked ones), you can increase performance at all levels. You'll still hit an artificial ceiling, though - the turbo-based overclocking is limited to a boost of 4 bins. Here's an Intel graphic I stole from Anandtech that can explain things better than me:

Of course, if you don't have a Turbo-capable CPU, you don't get to overclock at all (besides a near-useless BCLK bump of a few percent).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
From what I understand the more cores you TB the lower the ceiling for the boost. So you could have 1 core boosted to 3.7 or 2 cores boosted to 3.6 and so on. Until you reach the electrical/heat ceiling for your chip.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ika posted:

What about the intel DP67BA? I'm thinking of getting that board, it has an intel gbit port, and is "cheap" compared to anything else with it. If you aren't planning on crossfire / SLI it might work.

The Techreport review said it was $6 cheaper than the Asus Pro

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

WhyteRyce posted:

The Techreport review said it was $6 cheaper than the Asus Pro

Techreview reviewed the G model: http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-DP67BG/DP67BG-overview.htm

I'm refering to this one: http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/db-DP67BA/DP67BA-overview.htm
In europe its available for 110 euros. If it can overclock decently (I'm not looking for 5ghz, boosting turbo by 0.5ghz is fine) I'm going to try it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Anyone looking for a memory deal, Newegg has 8GB (2x4GB) of Corsair XMS3 memory for $99 with a coupon code (listed on the product page).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

It isn't quite as cheap as the previous deal, but it is DDR3 1600 instead of DDR3 1333.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 7, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

The_Franz posted:

Anyone looking for a memory deal, Newegg has 8GB (2x4GB) of Corsair XMS3 memory for $99 with a coupon code (listed on the product page).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

It isn't quite as cheap as the previous deal, but it is DDR3 1600 instead of DDR3 1333.

If its latency was 8, or if it was $20 cheaper, I would bite. As is, I'd wait.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Speaking of RAM deals, I just went in on this one: 8 GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill DDR3 1333 for $74.99 after promo code. According to some Googleable guy on another forum, G.Skill confirmed this stuff (Sniper brand) uses different ICs than the Ripjaws brand, but it's a new product line. G.Skill tends to review well on Newegg, though those brand names are a bit :jerkbag:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Speaking of RAM deals, I just went in on this one: 8 GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill DDR3 1333 for $74.99 after promo code. According to some Googleable guy on another forum, G.Skill confirmed this stuff (Sniper brand) uses different ICs than the Ripjaws brand, but it's a new product line. G.Skill tends to review well on Newegg, though those brand names are a bit :jerkbag:

I was totally going to jump on those, but they sold out before I decided too, hah. My only complaint with G. Skill the last time I had their products was the RMA process being a pain in the rear end. But they've recently got a US RMA Center, so it's a lot better now.

I'm not an Asus shill (I swear), but the P8P67 Pro is pretty, well...pro.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

movax posted:

I was totally going to jump on those, but they sold out before I decided too, hah. My only complaint with G. Skill the last time I had their products was the RMA process being a pain in the rear end. But they've recently got a US RMA Center, so it's a lot better now.

Yeah, I just had to RMA my G. Skill ram and it was relatively painless. There was a batch that wasn't initalizing properly on cold boots with certain configurations. It would cause a memory related BSOD at some point during the windows startup. Warm boots were completely fine and the ram was rock solid stable otherwise.

I just submitted an RMA, mentioned I had the common cold boot issue, and I had an RMA number the next day. 10 days or so after I sent it in, I got new modules back.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Someone on another forum mentioned that the Asus P8P67 EVO had better voltage/power regulation than the PRO, but they both have 12+2 VRMs. Is there any truth to this claim?

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Planning on a i5-2500 as a new system build, but getting hung up on this P67 vs H67 thing -

H67: no overclock, on board graphics, and Quick Link transcoding
- but the onboard graphics are not that hot ($50-range equivalent, no DX11)
- you can't use Quick Link if you use an addon graphics card
- surely a stock i5 chip can transcode 1080p to a lower res while you do other stuff
- ffmpeg won't work with Quick Link for a long time if ever

P67: can overclock
- but do I really need to think about overclocking? Casual gamer, 1920x1080 monitor but I'm not a FPS twitcher so I can cope with 25-30fps

Edging toward the P67 and a cheap GPU for now

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Probably going to grab an i5 2500k and the gigabyte board. My c2d e6600 and GB Board won't power up unless I jumpstart it with a PSU tester so leaving it on 24/7 is annoying but necessary. The GB board says it balances boot load across the VRMs (6 at a time) so I'm stoked for that. Not a PC gamer and having the OC will be nice til I can rebuild in 4yrs or so.

There's a few of each model on eBay as engineering samples too if anyone wants to get one now. Bit expensive compared to the quoted prices though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
P67+OC'd i5 2500K+cheap GPU would be the best option for you IMO oversteer.

If you're willing to put up with rebates you can get a card that is quite a bit better than the Intel IGP for about $35 here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Going for a Asus Sabertooth, Core i7-2600 and 16GB RAM. Everything's here but the CPU :(

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

oversteer posted:

- but do I really need to think about overclocking? Casual gamer, 1920x1080 monitor but I'm not a FPS twitcher so I can cope with 25-30fps

Overclocking is great to just get more performance out of a system if you intend to keep it for a while too.

I might skip upgrading my Q6600 system for another year because it still works so great.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Going for a Asus Sabertooth, Core i7-2600 and 16GB RAM. Everything's here but the CPU :(

I'm honestly curious to know what people are doing with so much RAM? What could you possible need that much for?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Kashwashwa posted:

I'm honestly curious to know what people are doing with so much RAM? What could you possible need that much for?

Virtual Machine lab environments, I have 8gb in mine and would love more.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
And an extra 12GB of disk cache will go a long way to hide the misery and suffering of mechanical hard drives if you haven't moved to an SSD yet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dud root posted:

Someone on another forum mentioned that the Asus P8P67 EVO had better voltage/power regulation than the PRO, but they both have 12+2 VRMs. Is there any truth to this claim?

No, their VRMs should be identical. The LE and Deluxe are the only ones with unique VRMs (the LE has 6, the Deluxe has 14+2 or 16+2, one of the two). However, Intel themselves only tossed 6 on their motherboard. The extra ones will come in handy when you raise VCore and suck down more power on really high overclocks.

@Kashwashwa: alereon mentioned last page that DDR3 prices are about to hit the lowest they will (likely) ever hit; some people will just buy 16GB now when it's cheapest instead of waiting to see when they needed. You could probably kill off your pagefile with 16GB too.

@oversteer: definitely do P67 + some AMD GPU. Best bang for buck GPU performance, and coupled with an i5 should smoke most everything for the rest of the year without you having to murder your settings.

@Laserface: you might want to look at the Intel, Asus or other boards that sport a nice EFI bios. I think that round-up said the GB board was the priciest of them all?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

oversteer posted:

Planning on a i5-2500 as a new system build, but getting hung up on this P67 vs H67 thing -

H67: no overclock, on board graphics, and Quick Link transcoding
- but the onboard graphics are not that hot ($50-range equivalent, no DX11)
- you can't use Quick Link if you use an addon graphics card
- surely a stock i5 chip can transcode 1080p to a lower res while you do other stuff
- ffmpeg won't work with Quick Link for a long time if ever

Edging toward the P67 and a cheap GPU for now
If you are that conflicted, and willing to wait a month, wait for the Z67 (Z68?) boards to come out. Best of both in one package.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ilkhan posted:

If you are that conflicted, and willing to wait a month, wait for the Z67 (Z68?) boards to come out. Best of both in one package.

Z68, and I thought it was Q2 at earliest, so it'd be like April or later.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kashwashwa posted:

Virtual machines, for one. I'm running a virtual file server on this thing. I'd like to run it with more cache.

And because I can. When I remember what 8MB RAM cost me way back, this is peanuts.

--edit: Yay, found a shop with the CPU in stock!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 7, 2011

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

movax posted:

Z68, and I thought it was Q2 at earliest, so it'd be like April or later.
Could be. I got my P67A-UD4 on the 17th, so I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mobos on this one.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

movax posted:

You could probably kill off your pagefile with 16GB too.

No, don't tell people to do that. That is some stupid "optimization" advice that was touted a decade ago and does not apply. Having a page file available won't make anything slower.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The last time anyone should have turned off the pagefile was the half-broken virtual memory in Mac System 7.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Inept posted:

No, don't tell people to do that. That is some stupid "optimization" advice that was touted a decade ago and does not apply. Having a page file available won't make anything slower.

And it was wrong a decade ago, and has become increasingly wrong since then. Not having a page file will make things slower, even if you have ridiculous amounts of RAM and nothing actually needs to be paged out.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

movax posted:

No, their VRMs should be identical. The LE and Deluxe are the only ones with unique VRMs (the LE has 6, the Deluxe has 14+2 or 16+2, one of the two). However, Intel themselves only tossed 6 on their motherboard. The extra ones will come in handy when you raise VCore and suck down more power on really high overclocks.
Figured as much, but I thought I'd check in case the EVO and above had 2oz copper or something not quite related to the amount of PWMs

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zhentar posted:

And it was wrong a decade ago, and has become increasingly wrong since then. Not having a page file will make things slower, even if you have ridiculous amounts of RAM and nothing actually needs to be paged out.

Ooops, my bad. I still keep my pagefile around, I just moved it to not-C.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

@Laserface: you might want to look at the Intel, Asus or other boards that sport a nice EFI bios. I think that round-up said the GB board was the priciest of them all?

Yeah but I dont really see the point of a flashy UI for a part of the system I am going to view once or twice. I'd be nice to see but that would be only reason I'd use it - to see it.

If the GB Board has 12 VRMs and load balances boots across differing pairs of 6 each time, I feel like it's going to last a lot longer and be more of a benefit to me than mousing through BIOS settings.

Also, I prefer GB to Asus. The MSI board ain't bad though. These 4 are only a small segment of the high-mid market I'm assuming, so I may even get a lower board. Still retarded you cant OC and use the in board.

The ONLY reason I would favor UEFI would be if it made loading OS X easier, which is something I want to look into (I refuse to buy a prebuilt machine because putting it together is too much fun).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

UEFI speeds up POST and subsequently boot times, too.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
And UEFI is required to support HDDs over 2TB, so I would definitely consider it a requirement when purchasing a board.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boot time is something to consider. I'll be using an SSD for my boot drive so if there's a big gain on top of that then I may just get pushed into it.

I have a 2.8TB NAS so all that will reside on the boot drive is windows and applications. Everything else sits on my 1TB or the NAS.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
How much information is there about Mini ITX motherboard offerings?

Edit: I mean, I've found various reviews on Google, but the people on this board are really good at filtering out hype and nonsense.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

zachol posted:

How much information is there about Mini ITX motherboard offerings?

Edit: I mean, I've found various reviews on Google, but the people on this board are really good at filtering out hype and nonsense.

Asus apparently has mini-ITX variants of their P8P67 family coming "soon". I'm sure Intel will put out a mini-ITX board as well.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hmm. The Asus Mini ITX from that family is apparently is a "P8H67." Shoot.
Depending on what Z68 turns out to be I might just need to move to mATX.

Edit: Although I don't know why I'm surprised. I'm probably one out of only a dozen people in the market for a Mini ITX with no onboard graphics.

zachol fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 8, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

zachol posted:

I'm probably one out of only a dozen people in the market for a Mini ITX with no onboard graphics.

Nah. Is it that crazy to want a gaming machine in a nice, modestly-sized case that's not too loud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Nah. Is it that crazy to want a gaming machine in a nice, modestly-sized case that's not too loud?

This the first time I've heard of a mini-ITX gaming PC. Normally they're used for car stereos or silly "case mods" where they crammed the entire system into a football or something stupid likt that.

I'm sure if you stuck a mini ITX board on a table and put a modern graphics card in it, the thing would tip over due to the graphics card being heavier and the one single expansion slot being right on the edge.

Sure you're not thinking of Micro ATX?