Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Irisi posted:

Nobody else watching Derren Brown: Enigma? It's awfully good fun. He's doing Victorian Spiritualist tricks, and doing them very well. In addition to being an actual witch, his showmanship and rapport with the audience is very good.

Yeah I'm watching it, the man is actually a witch of some sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Son of a bitch

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I thought the Spirit Cabinet thing was great, but the last trick was really well done.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
anyone know when it'll be on 4OD?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Xachariah posted:

Son of a bitch

Coincidentally these were the exact words I said to my telly too.

When loving McFly came on the camera and started to sing the order of objects I actually forgot to breathe for a little minute. I don't even care how the tricks were done, that was simply the most fun 90 minutes of television I've seen in ages. (Why didn't they put this on at Christmas instead of the dreck we actually got?)

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.
I love Derren Brown but those crappy specials he did last year (or was it the year before?) put me off him a bit, nothing really happened in them and they all seemed to be pandering to the sort of people he made fun of for years.

Has he gone back to what he was doing before that? I hope so, then I can catch them on 4OD.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Irisi posted:

Coincidentally these were the exact words I said to my telly too.

When loving McFly came on the camera and started to sing the order of objects I actually forgot to breathe for a little minute. I don't even care how the tricks were done, that was simply the most fun 90 minutes of television I've seen in ages. (Why didn't they put this on at Christmas instead of the dreck we actually got?)

We saw this live when he was on tour last year, and even knowing what was coming up as I was watching it just now... it's impossible not to be impressed at how he works that whole Columbo "oh and one more thing!" angle to reveal what's been under your nose the whole time and then the loving impossible song. We drove back from Oxford to Southampton giggling and bursting into fits of the chorus all the way.

He's got a new tour this year, so I'd say gently caress the specials - if you liked this, go and see him live because he's awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
watchin' Derren...

He DEFINITELY said McFly in his intro schpiel when people were coming up to write their stuff down. Are people THAT primed to suggestion?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Watching BBC3 How drugs work: Cannabis/ Good god, has the Daily Mail comissioned this? I don't even bother with it but the idea of dna profiling people who should be allowed to smoke it. loving hell.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Anyone else watch The Sinking of Laconia on BBC2 tonight? I thought it was brilliant, can't wait for part two tomorrow.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Anyone else watch The Sinking of Laconia on BBC2 tonight? I thought it was brilliant, can't wait for part two tomorrow.

Loved it, and I think it knocked Downton Abbey into a cocked hat. I love the U Boat skipper, and can wait for tomorrow. Is it just a redux of the Lusitania? I started watching late as Beeb never flog something decent to death

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 7, 2011

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

Watching BBC3 How drugs work: Cannabis/ Good god, has the Daily Mail comissioned this? I don't even bother with it but the idea of dna profiling people who should be allowed to smoke it. loving hell.

The drug takes control of your nervous system, like a...herbal terrorist.

Is there an applicable emoticon for "unnecessary moral panic"?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

We have to maintain awareness of thes bastards. Especially if they are green. Someone relate a drug related pensioner rape story. Like a stoner could be arsed to do owt but chomp down on some crisps.

e:That was an unintentinal pun crispy owl

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 7, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

Pretty sure it's :derp:

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
God-loving-drat. Derren Brown is just amazing. For Christ sake the finale...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zorba the Greek posted:

God-loving-drat. Derren Brown is just amazing. For Christ sake the finale...

All his other live shows are on 4OD, If you haven't already, I suggest you watch them, they are all amazing.

The best thing about that show I thought was when he takes the loving engraved coin out and it's that womans grandmother's name. I can see how he did most other things through the power of suggestion but that was insane.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

NaDy posted:

All his other live shows are on 4OD, If you haven't already, I suggest you watch them, they are all amazing.

I've seen a few of his things, like that plane thing for example but I will actually check out the rest of his stuff.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NaDy posted:

The best thing about that show I thought was when he takes the loving engraved coin out and it's that womans grandmother's name. I can see how he did most other things through the power of suggestion but that was insane.

I think the weirdest poo poo is what he does in one of his other live shows, where he just gets someone at random from the audience and says something very, very specific about them. Like for one person it was that he had a pot of surfboard wax called SEX in his pocket, and with another he gets the persons name (a very uncommon ethnic name) and can tell he's nervous about going abroad for the first time :psyduck: only things I can think it would be is mics everywhere or stooges but I think he picks these people out with a frisbee

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
Oh my god that How Drugs Work about Cannabis. Oh. My. God.

e: It Hijacks the Brain like a HERBAL TERRORIST. I'm getting flashbacks to Brasseye.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

watchin' Derren...

He DEFINITELY said McFly in his intro schpiel when people were coming up to write their stuff down. Are people THAT primed to suggestion?

I noticed that as well, I thought he said something about Thomas Cook as well, although I might have imagined that.

The last piece of the performance was really incredible though. It made up for the awful specials he did last year.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The only explanation as how how Derren Brown knows things about random audience members is THEY ARE ALL STOOGES, all 500 of them!

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG
I saw Derren Brown's Enigma live last year, absolutely loved it but I was worried some of it (the McFly stuff, for example) wouldn't come across as well on TV. I'm glad that appears to not be the case!

Derren Brown fans should also tune in to the "Behind the Mischief" documentary on Saturday, 9pm, C4. (Part of "Derren Brown Night", which also features a repeat of Enigma, and another of his older specials which was apparently chosen by viewers).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tardstar posted:

This is getting tedius now. I realise there has to be a debate on the value of women comedians at least once a year but are we really trying to say Lauren Laverne isn't on the same level as the other 3? I realise some of you see David Mitchell as a possible friend you could take to the pub while the scary female is controlled by the moon but come on have a bit of respect and stop making smarmy arse remarks about token girl. If you don't like her then just say so instead of making cruel insinuations that her comedy career is some kind of terrible accident.

Wow, I heard this forum got tons of misogyny accusations but damm. Ok, first up, I'm a girl myself, so most of your post is just wrong.

Second up, I love Lauren Laverne but unless she's done a bunch of stand-up or sketch shows she's not a comedian. She's a TV/radio presenter and she's a really good one and definitely adds stuff to the show. My token girl comment was mostly me being glib and recognising that if things had been different we could have been stuck with Fearne Cotton.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For people interested in such things, Frankie Boyle just bitched out Mark Watson on Twitter for being a sellout "selling cider to his teenage fans" because of comments Watson made on his blog in April or so. Frankie Boyle cashes cheques from Rupert Murdoch.

Yeah, don't think I like him any more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Oh my god that How Drugs Work about Cannabis. Oh. My. God.

e: It Hijacks the Brain like a HERBAL TERRORIST. I'm getting flashbacks to Brasseye.

Look at the Day Today, look at the news. Look at Brasseye, look at a modern topical documentary.

Realise that Chris Morris is actually a time traveler desperately trying to save us from the future by mocking it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh we should have listened dammit.

Every time I hear about these badly researched knee jerk casual drug documentaries I always think of that scene in the movie adaption of Fear and Loathing of that paranoid as gently caress Marajuana propaganda movie.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh we should have listened dammit.

Every time I hear about these badly researched knee jerk casual drug documentaries I always think of that scene in the movie adaption of Fear and Loathing of that paranoid as gently caress Marajuana propaganda movie.

I like the one in Harold and Kumar when the kid takes a toke on a spliff then shoots himself in the mouth with a rifle because he feels he can survive ANYTHING.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Trickjaw posted:

Loved it, and I think it knocked Downton Abbey into a cocked hat. I love the U Boat skipper, and can wait for tomorrow. Is it just a redux of the Lusitania? I started watching late as Beeb never flog something decent to death

The sinking of the Laconia was a real incident.

I missed it but will definitely iPlayer it up. It's a very interesting bit of history and the programme has a hell of a pedigree.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

For people interested in such things, Frankie Boyle just bitched out Mark Watson on Twitter for being a sellout "selling cider to his teenage fans" because of comments Watson made on his blog in April or so. Frankie Boyle cashes cheques from Rupert Murdoch.

Yeah, don't think I like him any more.

http://www.markwatsonthecomedian.com/web/2010/04/11/a-light-hearted-look-at-downs-syndrome/ is the blog post in question if people are interested. Frankie Boyle posted a comment on the blog today, quoted below.

quote:

Hi Mark. Just saw this. Amused to see moral grandstanding from a notorious sellout. You are commenting on a joke you didn’t see, and don’t quote, so presumably you don’t even know what it was? Amazing. I’d hate for you to pass through life with no self awareness, so let me point something out. You built up a certain indie credibility over the years with your standup. You then sold that credibility to sell cider. Why don’t you leave the discussions of jokes to people who have heard them and stick to pushing booze on teenagers? In a country of alcoholics.

Yours

frankie x

I must say, Frankie Boyle is not only unfunny, he is a hypocritical oval office too.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring went on for quite a bit on the Collings and Herrin podcast about Frankie Boyle's jokes about people with disabilities being not much different about racist 70's stand up jokes about ethnic minorities. He said he understood his two jokes where he used racial slurs was at least trying to make a satirical point, but his other jokes about Jordans son raping her, and something being funny because someone with cerebral palsy was reading it were just making fun of disabled people.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

http://www.markwatsonthecomedian.com/web/2010/04/11/a-light-hearted-look-at-downs-syndrome/ is the blog post in question if people are interested. Frankie Boyle posted a comment on the blog today, quoted below.

I must say, Frankie Boyle is not only unfunny, he is a hypocritical oval office too.

I also don't think he read the next one, where Watson stresses that he doesn't take issue with Boyle, he was very even-handed. What on earth does Boyle think he's doing digging this up after so long?

In more positive news, because we do get awfully negative in here, and I didn't help bring up that Boyle nonsense, Richard Herring won the Pod Delusion's Comedian of the Year award, there's a nice interview with him at the beginning of the show.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Are you bunch of tits really calling someone a oval office based on a blog comment that could have been posted by anyone?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Are you bunch of tits really calling someone a oval office based on a blog comment that could have been posted by anyone?

He wrote effectively the same thing on his Twitter. http://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/23331631276236800

@frankieboyle posted:

Amused to be sent an attack on my work by Mark Watson. A sellout who takes money to advertise booze to his teenage fans. A oval office.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Mark Watson's blog post is from April last year, bit slow on the uptake isn't he. Anyway, he's made himself look like a complete bellend there

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

He wrote effectively the same thing on his Twitter. http://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/23331631276236800

Fair enough then. Definitely a bit of pot-kettle-black going on there.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Irisi posted:

Nobody else watching Derren Brown: Enigma? It's awfully good fun. He's doing Victorian Spiritualist tricks, and doing them very well. In addition to being an actual witch, his showmanship and rapport with the audience is very good.

My sister went to that show last year and was the one who drank vinegar (not on tv, just the one she went to).

She says she can remember what was happening, but not that she was drinking vinegar, she just got really dehydrated and had to drink.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I caught this on the BBC News Channel last night and it made me far angrier than it reasonably should have:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x79g5/HARDtalk_Robin_Gibb/

Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees proclaiming that 'music today is terrible, not like in my day :argh: :smug: " and demonstrating just how far someone can disappear up their own arse.

The BBC's flimsy grasp on popular culture is getting worse. I thought this programme was supposed to be some kind of hard-hitting discussion, or a grilling of the guest, not a rambling ego massage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Fair enough then. Definitely a bit of pot-kettle-black going on there.

Watson has responded, doesn't want to pick a fight and gives Boyle a big out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Speaking of drugs, did anybody watch the new Michael Mosley documentary on BBC4 last night about the brain?

He visited David Nutt, the government advisor who was sacked some months ago for having the nerve to say cannabis wasn't that bad.

And then they injected Mosley with the active ingredient of magic mushrooms. It was piss funny, he just started blabbering on about anything and wouldn't stop.

Next to Brian Cox, he's my favourite science TV presenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

keveh posted:

My sister went to that show last year and was the one who drank vinegar (not on tv, just the one she went to).

She says she can remember what was happening, but not that she was drinking vinegar, she just got really dehydrated and had to drink.

I can't believe that was really vinegar, surely it would give you terrible indigestion?