Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

nationalista posted:

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I caught this on the BBC News Channel last night and it made me far angrier than it reasonably should have:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x79g5/HARDtalk_Robin_Gibb/

Robin Gibb of The Bee Gees proclaiming that 'music today is terrible, not like in my day :argh: :smug: " and demonstrating just how far someone can disappear up their own arse.

The BBC's flimsy grasp on popular culture is getting worse. I thought this programme was supposed to be some kind of hard-hitting discussion, or a grilling of the guest, not a rambling ego massage.
yeah I'm inclined to agree with you after watching for about 10 minutes, he's really pretty smug about how good he is/was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Because Stayin' Alive was the pinnacle of humanities musical culture.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm loving sick of that kinda comment.

There is AWESOME music everywhere - you just have to make a loving effort to look for it instead of waiting for it to be spoonfed to you.

It was the same 40 years ago, and it's the same now.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Paperhouse posted:

yeah I'm inclined to agree with you after watching for about 10 minutes, he's really pretty smug about how good he is/was
Im no real fan of theirs or anything but they can actually sing and play which cant be said of the majority of the cack in the top 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlehycyTGT8

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Graviton v2 posted:

Im no real fan of theirs or anything but they can actually sing and play which cant be said of the majority of the cack in the top 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlehycyTGT8

I know, they're good musicians who know how to write great pop songs but he didn't half keep going on about how many records they'd sold and how many pop stars they've written songs for and how not many people can do natural harmonies but I can etc

and yeah, like thehustler said there is loving tons of great music coming out all the time, always has been, and it's annoying when people make generalisations about music based solely upon the very very mainstream

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because Stayin' Alive was the pinnacle of humanities musical culture.

tbf i love the bass in that song, it owns

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a problem with someone calling out Mark Watson for advertising cider. It's obviously easy to be snide here in the peanut gallery but I really do get annoyed with people who definitely can make a comfortable living in the first place then decide to become the face of some product.

That said Frankie Boyle can go gently caress himself. He oscillates between moral grandstanding (ranting about how no comedian should be going after 40, or slagging off people for selling out) and doing the laziest, most unpalatable jokes picking on weak groups like the disabled. gently caress him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This is the same Frankie Boyle who after the first half of Tramadol Nights pimped out a DVD of the exact sand stand up he was doing between sketches during the break.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Beeswax posted:

I don't have a problem with someone calling out Mark Watson for advertising cider. It's obviously easy to be snide here in the peanut gallery but I really do get annoyed with people who definitely can make a comfortable living in the first place then decide to become the face of some product.

That said Frankie Boyle can go gently caress himself. He oscillates between moral grandstanding (ranting about how no comedian should be going after 40, or slagging off people for selling out) and doing the laziest, most unpalatable jokes picking on weak groups like the disabled. gently caress him.

I think my main problem with him calling Mark Watson out for being a sellout is that Frankie Boyle writes a column for The Sun, the best selling paper in the UK and part of Rupert Murdoch's empire. He can't criticise someone for selling out to promote cider, when Boyle himself works for one of the biggest media corporations in the world.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really get the "selling cider to teenagers" thing... Is it selling to teenagers just by virtue of being cider? It's hardly youth-centred, is it?

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
People hating sell-outs is always fairly humourous. So Mark Watson has used his success in stand up and on panel shows to get a advertising campaign selling cider (and innocent smoothies if I remember?), seems like the normal kind of career progression everyone goes through. Do people expect these semi-famous comedians to scoff at such offers and tell them to sod off as it ruins their artistic integrity?

And Frankie Boyle is clearly so far up his own arse now it's painful to listen to anything he says without thinking he is a massive idiot. For some reason he thinks he's the funniest man alive.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo loads of comedians get jobs doing advert voiceovers, it pays the bills while they're writing new material.

Not everyone can phone in a poo poo column for the sun.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

goatface posted:

poo poo loads of comedians get jobs doing advert voiceovers, it pays the bills while they're writing new material.

Not everyone can phone in a poo poo column for the sun.

I get the impression that Frankie Boyle is one of those people who thinks their stance and viewpoint on what is and isn't allowed in life is completely and absolutely correct. So the thought of the man as intelligent (which he is often said to be) is at odds with that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

I don't really get the "selling cider to teenagers" thing... Is it selling to teenagers just by virtue of being cider? It's hardly youth-centred, is it?

I think it's playing up that stereotype of teens buying a cheap bottle of cider and getting drunk in parks and bus stops and shite

and yeah, I don't see a problem with Mark Watson doing an ad for it. Frankie Boyle calls him a sellout but he's hardly compromising his principles is he? He just got offered an easy and presumably well paid job and took it, I'm not sure what the issue is

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If Mark Watson was known for his anti-corporate or anti-drinking stance, then he'd be a sellout.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Paperhouse posted:

I think it's playing up that stereotype of teens buying a cheap bottle of cider and getting drunk in parks and bus stops and shite

I've never seen chavvy kids drinking loving Magners.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

If Mark Watson was known for his anti-corporate or anti-drinking stance, then he'd be a sellout.

Exactly. Or if he stopped halfway through one of his shows to talk about how nice Bulmers/Magners is. Being employed to provide a voiceover is not selling out.

The whole notion of 'selling out' is pathetic and childish anyway.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

keveh posted:

My sister went to that show last year and was the one who drank vinegar (not on tv, just the one she went to).

She says she can remember what was happening, but not that she was drinking vinegar, she just got really dehydrated and had to drink.

Just curious (and I suppose this goes to anyone who saw a show that wasn't the one broadcast) but does your sister have long black hair aswell?

It seemed like she was chosen because she resembled the girl from The Ring, especially with the smock on. Derren even arranged her hair before setting her off on her creepy walk round the audience.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

nationalista posted:

The whole notion of 'selling out' is pathetic and childish anyway.

Not really, the term's used far too often in cases where it doesn't come close to applying, that's all. Like by Boyle here. I never liked the guy, but this whole episode makes him look like an utter oval office.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Akuma posted:

Maybe Boyle is generalizing Watson's fans as all teenagers? Maybe it's some kneejerk reaction based on his previous alcoholism?

Anyway, there is a Penn and Teller special on at 9 tonight if anyone feels like braving ITV.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 7, 2011

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I've never understood this whole 'selling out' thing, I mean yeah I totally agree that someone would deserve to be called out if they're doing something that doesn't fit with their stance on certain issues, but I don't really see anything to it other than "how dare that loving oval office want to make some extra money, what a oval office who would do that!!"

I still remember the massive backlash against Mitchell and Webb for doing the Mac adverts, then Robert Webb pointed out that the adverts were very quick and easy to film and they were paid more for the ads than they are for a whole series of Peep Show and I just thought "fair enough I guess, I'd most definitely do the same in their situation".

Not to mention that Boyle doesn't seem that bothered about his show, and all other Channel 4 comedy shows for that matter, being sponsored by Fosters.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Which is especially odd as he's a teetotaler as he was an alcoholic and he supposedly very nearly ruined his life thanks to it.

Way to not sell out your principles, Frankie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe it is more of a suggestion than a sponsership.

Go on, have a can of Fosters. My sketch show seems less rubbish when pissed, yeah?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe Boyle is generalizing Watson's fans as all teenagers? Maybe it's some kneejerk reaction based on his previous alcoholism?

Anyway, there is a Penn and Teller special on at 9 tonight if anyone feels like braving ITV.

I didn't even realise that was a thing until I saw the trailer just now. It doesn't look too bad actually. I'll probably give it a try tonight. ITV are usually crap, but they have the potential to produce some pretty good shows (honestly they do!)

Speaking of magic, is anyone watching The Magicians on BBC on Saturday? I caught it last week and it was quite entertaining, although Lenny Henry still isn't funny. This week the special guests are Ade Edmondson, Peter Jones (of Dragon's Den 'fame') and Amanda Byram. The only disappointing thing is a distinct lack of Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Speaking of magic, is anyone watching The Magicians on BBC on Saturday? Lenny Henry Ade Edmondson Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

Bloody hell, was the first trick they did one that transported us back to 1985?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To be honest my main issue with Mark Watson isn't the Magners thing (thogh that's mainly because I never have to see/hear any of it. I had to look it up on youtube to know what Stwart Lee was referencing in his routine). What's really strange to me is him hosting a show as laddish as Mak Watson Kicks Off. He's always had a pretty nerdy image (god I love We Need Answers) and now he hosts a show with wank jokes, the odd bikini babe and loads of ~~sportz~~?

I don't mind really, it's just baffling.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The 'putting on a Welsh accent' thing was a bit weird, mind....

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!
Anyone else suddenly think that Stephen Fry would make a good pope?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Their magic shows are amazing though so I'll definitely be checking this out.

Edit: Why is Johnathon Ross presenting this? Penn & Teller are charismatic enough and it's not like their unknown here.

Megaterium fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 7, 2011

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Adrianics posted:

I've never understood this whole 'selling out' thing, I mean yeah I totally agree that someone would deserve to be called out if they're doing something that doesn't fit with their stance on certain issues, but I don't really see anything to it other than "how dare that loving oval office want to make some extra money, what a oval office who would do that!!"

I think it depends on the person and what they are advertising. Carol Vorderman advertising dodgy loan companies annoyed me because she is heralded as some kind of mathematical mastermind and a lot of the target audience of Countdown would see her as a trustable expert due to the nature of the show. But Stephen Fry advertising tea doesn't bother me at all and doesn't make me feel like he is selling out or anything.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

The 'putting on a Welsh accent' thing was a bit weird, mind....

Yeah, especially how he waffled back and forth explaining it afterward.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Backstory please.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No real story to tell. When Mark Watson started doing standup he did it in a welsh accent. He's from a welsh family but grew up in Bristol and has no accent, apart form the one he used during stand ups. I've only read second hand sources regarding why he put on the accent but it's ranged from "He used to have an accent when he was growing up" to "He says he used it as part of his stage persona, because it added another dimension to his material". It's all just rather puzzling but who knows, maybe there is a really simple answer out there somewhere.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is very common. Billy Connolly actually sounds like Hugh Grant. That accent is just for the camera, honest.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I left the UK a year ago. Does it have any decent comedy from the last year I should download?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

midge posted:

I left the UK a year ago. Does it have any decent comedy from the last year I should download?

Tramadol Nights.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

midge posted:

Series 6 of Peep Show, Grandma's House, Newswipe with Charlie Brooker.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Tramadol Nights.

Oh man don't be cruel.

Mongrels, Him and Her and Whites if your looking for a decent BBC Comedy fix.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it depends on the person and what they are advertising. Carol Vorderman advertising dodgy loan companies annoyed me because she is heralded as some kind of mathematical mastermind and a lot of the target audience of Countdown would see her as a trustable expert due to the nature of the show. But Stephen Fry advertising tea doesn't bother me at all and doesn't make me feel like he is selling out or anything.

That's at least partly because the Twinnings product isn't loving deplorable

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Tramadol Nights.

You are a terrible person.

Midge, in addition to Peep Show I would recommend Misfits. Show of the year, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh man don't be cruel.

Irisi posted:

You are a terrible person.

Ok, ok, I apologise.

Try the Morgana Show instead.