Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lum posted:

This the first time I've heard of a mini-ITX gaming PC. Normally they're used for car stereos or silly "case mods" where they crammed the entire system into a football or something stupid likt that.

I'm sure if you stuck a mini ITX board on a table and put a modern graphics card in it, the thing would tip over due to the graphics card being heavier and the one single expansion slot being right on the edge.

Sure you're not thinking of Micro ATX?
Here's an example of a Mini-ITX LGA-1156 board with a PCI-E x16 slot. We'll definitely see similar boards based on the H67 chipset, there isn't really much compelling need for P67-based boards because you can't do dual-graphics and most people won't be overclocking in a Mini-ITX form factor. Heck, I don't know if you can even cram enough power phases into that form factor to power an overclocked CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lum posted:

This the first time I've heard of a mini-ITX gaming PC. Normally they're used for car stereos or silly "case mods" where they crammed the entire system into a football or something stupid likt that.

I'm sure if you stuck a mini ITX board on a table and put a modern graphics card in it, the thing would tip over due to the graphics card being heavier and the one single expansion slot being right on the edge.

I want something relatively Mac mini sized but much faster :shobon: (realistically I'll just wait for a SB mini and continue to game on consoles). That Zotac board above is the closest I've seen...of course once you put a case on it becomes relatively huge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zachol posted:

Edit: Although I don't know why I'm surprised. I'm probably one out of only a dozen people in the market for a Mini ITX with no onboard graphics.

As soon as they stop selling stuff earlier than Core iX processors tho, it'll be practically impossible to not get some form of integrated graphics. Even the cheapy Core i3s (and I am talking pre Sandy Bridge) have integrated graphics.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Lum posted:

The Silverstone SG07's a pretty popular case for ITX gaming.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19641/1

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

frumpsnake posted:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19641/1

That's exactly the case I had in mind, from the Techreport Roadster build. The lack of a full-sized optical drive bay is a little goofy, though.

Although, to be honest, I can't quite keep mini-ITX vs. micro-ITX straight in my mind. I always have to double check what I'm talking about. I just want a small, non-flashy, quiet-ish case that won't dominate my life.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Lum posted:

Cappucino PCs started out as being fairly popular in 2001 and then other manufacturers (Shuttle etc) moved on in 2002 or 2003 to introduce different barebone kits that allowed seperate graphics cards, it has been around for quite a while.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Although, to be honest, I can't quite keep mini-ITX vs. micro-ITX straight in my mind. I always have to double check what I'm talking about. I just want a small, non-flashy, quiet-ish case that won't dominate my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pUoD1tC_Y

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 8, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

frumpsnake posted:

Exactly. I've been shopping around for a couple of months now.
Stick in an i5 and a 460 or a 6850, and you've got a reasonable gaming box.
There's actually some very nice airflow in the SG07, and several people have been able to mod it slightly to stick a watercooler in there, with some very impressive results.

I'm not actually looking to overclock it myself, I figure I'll have enough trouble getting everything to work together at stock, but having the option available would've been nice.
If I am limited to H67, am I right in thinking there's no reason to get a K-series chip?
I only care about the one PCIe slot, so the issue with lanes isn't a big deal.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This is kind of an off-topic question, but for a system that consists of the Asus Pro board, the 2500k, 4 gigs of DDR3, a Xonar DX sound card, and a Radeon 6870, would a Corsair 650watt PSU be sufficient?

Rexz
Oct 17, 2004

Gunder posted:

This is kind of an off-topic question, but for a system that consists of the Asus Pro board, the 2500k, 4 gigs of DDR3, a Xonar DX sound card, and a Radeon 6870, would a Corsair 650watt PSU be sufficient?

You'll be fine.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010
It looks like the 2500K will be priced at £170 and the 2600K at £250 (basically $120). Looking at the reviews, it seems the 2600 doesn't perform noticeably better than the 2500 in games. Does anything make it worth the extra money?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

El Bandit posted:

It looks like the 2500K will be priced at £170 and the 2600K at £250 (basically $120). Looking at the reviews, it seems the 2600 doesn't perform noticeably better than the 2500 in games. Does anything make it worth the extra money?
If you do anything that can use 8 cores (or think it would be REALLY cool to see 8 graphs in task manager), it's worth it. If you don't, then it's not.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
When is S2011 hitting?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nonpython posted:

When is S2011 hitting?
Some time in Q4, so ~9 months or so at least.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That works out well. I am getting a new computer around xmas.

Pardon my ignorance, but overclocking affects all the cores, not just Turbo Mode, right?

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 9, 2011

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Oh they're on sale everywhere

NewEgg i5-2500k and i7-2600k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16819115072
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16819115070

TigerDirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp%3Fafsrc%3D1%2526CatId%3D1969

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 9, 2011

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nonpython posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but overclocking affects all the cores, not just Turbo Mode, right?
Without having done it myself, with the K chips you can adjust the turbo multipliers, or the normal multis. So either way.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The Egg doesn't even have the 2500k properly listed yet, good lord. Hopefully some are still in stock in a few weeks when I'm ready to build my new computerbox (not really keen on building a new PC a week before I move across the country :v: )

By the way, I keep seeing conflicting information: does the P67 support USB 3.0 or not? The ASUS boards are advertised as having USB 3.0 and SATA3, but I've seen some people saying P67 won't have USB3?

Still looking forward to this, the machine I've been using for a year is still quite good but it's time to get some power ready for the next half-decade or so, and the 2500 plus a decent video card should be plenty for a long time.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lum posted:

It's possible to jam quite a lot of power into a mini-ITX shoebox. For instance, take this guy's insane effort - overclocked i5 750, GTX 480 (!!!), and two hard drives in less than 11 liters. For people who have less metalworking skill and more mental stability, it's also possible to buy Lian Li cases designed for mini-ITX gaming systems, although they tend to be fairly large by mini-ITX standards.

e: gently caress, didn't see the new page.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

By the way, I keep seeing conflicting information: does the P67 support USB 3.0 or not? The ASUS boards are advertised as having USB 3.0 and SATA3, but I've seen some people saying P67 won't have USB3?
P67 doesn't support USB3.0, but most boards will include a third-party USB3.0 controller or two.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Just ordered myself a P8P67 Pro and 2500K from newegg. Upgrading from an E8400, I'm expecting good things :).

SpaceDrake posted:

As far as I'm aware, the P67 chipset does not have native USB3, but most boards come with NEC controllers to provide it. SATA 6Gbps is native to the P67 though.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
I've been waiting for this processor to come out for a while now, and yet the P183 case I was looking for has been out of stock for the last two weeks now. Fate is conspiring against me having a new PC, I guess.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

R1CH posted:

As far as I'm aware, the P67 chipset does not have native USB3, but most boards come with NEC controllers to provide it. SATA 6Gbps is native to the P67 though.

Fair enough! So long as the capacity is there in some form, that'll be enough, I suppose. I don't really have a burning need for USB3 yet (I have nothing that actually supports it at this stage), but having the option is always keen.

And dexplosivo, oh god I feel your pain. I'm really hoping I can actually find a P183 when the time comes to build my box; I may have to go hunting around the local Fry's and whatnot to actually find that case. Stupid Antec, why don't they make more of those cases instead of trying to push their various Hundreds which apparently nobody buys :argh:

One last question: is the ASUS P8P67 PRO (and above) the only board currently confirmed to be shipping with an Intel LAN controller? I'm a sloppy whore for ASUS anyway and I'll probably end up going with a P8P67 PRO, but I'm wondering if there's something out there a little less expensive that still has that nice Intel LAN controller. I mean, I assume the Intel reference boards themselves would :v: but for other third parties I'm curious. Even the high-end MSI boards seem to lack them.

Edit: VVVV The SSD alone is going to be like installing a warp drive for some applications if you've never used an SSD before. That said, are you sure you need a 2600? If you aren't doing, like, heavy video editing or 3D rendering or whatnot the hyperthreading isn't going to give you that much of an increase in performance. You could save the $100, get a 2500 and spend the difference on Other Cool poo poo.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 9, 2011

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

R1CH posted:

Just ordered myself a P8P67 Pro and 2500K from newegg. Upgrading from an E8400, I'm expecting good things :).

I'm coming from a e8400 with 6gb of ram, going to:

P8P67 Pro
16gb DDR3-1600
64GB Sandforce SSD.

I am expecting a rather large speed increase. The e8400 doesn't really feel slow, so I can't imagine how fast my new build is going to be.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

Nonpython posted:

All but one core.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Leon Hikari posted:

I'm coming from a e8400 with 6gb of ram, going to:

P8P67 Pro
16gb DDR3-1600
64GB Sandforce SSD.

I am expecting a rather large speed increase.
Depending on what you're doing, you might not see much of one. The SSD will be the biggest change.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So in what instance is the i7 Sandy a better choice than the i5? In the building thread, it seems to be a consensus that (for gaming at least) there is no real reason to get an i7.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

strategery posted:

So in what instance is the i7 Sandy a better choice than the i5? In the building thread, it seems to be a consensus that (for gaming at least) there is no real reason to get an i7.

Video rendering and compression, science simulations, other poo poo you don't do.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Lief posted:

Video rendering and compression, science simulations, other poo poo you don't do.

Try to be less of a douche, mmm'k?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does i5 or i7 reliably mean anything? Last gen it seemed kinda random whether an i5 or i7 had whatever number of cores, hyperthreading, turbo, etc.

vvv That clears it up, thanks.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 9, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

i5 - 2-4 cores. No HyperThreading on the quad cores. All of them use DMI.
i7 - 4-8 cores. Has HyperThreading on all models. The high end uses QPI, but that is only the Socket 2011.

All of them have Turbo.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I'm searching for the Asus P8P67-M Pro. Does anyone see it or know any availability with it?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Ok, let's do this.

Just ordered:
Antec P183
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
Gigabyte Radeon HD6870 HDMI Dual-DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB
Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz Socket 1155 Box
Seasonic X-650 650W
Intel X25-M G2 80GB
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 64MB 2TB
+ Some misc stuff like dvd-burner and whatnot

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Ordered 2500k and P8P67 Pro. I took me a while to choose between the Pro and Deluxe, but the Deluxe does not have enough additional features and I don't want to use the front panel USB 3.0 thing it comes with.

Now to wait. I ordered from Tigerdirect because Newegg's shipping seems to take long to an APO address. If Amazon actually had it in stock, I would have ordered it there.

Triethyl
Dec 31, 2006
Newegg only has Intel's DP67DE as far as mATX P67 offerings go; I could have sworn we were getting one from Asus or MSI as well. :(

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40 GHz So 1155 BOX
Asus P8P67 Pro P67 Sockel 1155 ATX DDR3
G.Skill 4GB KIT RipJaws PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL9 RL
Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card

Is what i'm getting. Once i get some extra cash i'll get a SSD and a new GFX card but gtx285 will have to do until then.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Jobs!.. where's the Sandy Bridge Macbooks?!

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
What's so great about the Intel LAN controller found on the Asus P8P67 PRO vs. the RealTek controller on the plain P8P67? Is it just lower CPU utilization?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been hearing about a few problems people are having with the Asus boards and ram settings not being properly detected automatically in the bios. Hopefully Asus will be releasing updates pretty regularly.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I just got back from Micro Center and my P8P67 board only rang up at $119. I don't know if it was a deal or pricing mistake (it's listed for MSRP on the website), but I certainly didn't mind a little surprise discount.

If you want one of these boards and have a MC near you get there now.

EDIT: Oh, apparently they are doing combo deals.

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index.html

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cryolite posted:

What's so great about the Intel LAN controller found on the Asus P8P67 PRO vs. the RealTek controller on the plain P8P67? Is it just lower CPU utilization?
Yeah, CPU usage.

The RealTek 8111E is a lovely network. It just sends and receives packets the simplest way possible. No acceleration whatsoever, all software.

The Intel controller has send and receive queues, checksum and segmentation offload, interrupt moderation (reduces context switches a lot) and god knows what other stuff to accelerate various TCP/IP tasks.