Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Pigasus posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for alarm clocks?

I used my phone as an alarm clock before, but it became less effective the longer I used it.

I hate/love this thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Alarm-Clock-Wheels-Almond/dp/B000PWLTNA

The alarm clock sounds like space ships conversing. It's loud, and if you turn the wheels on, it will get far enough away that you have to physically get out of bed to nab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Actually, if anyone else has any suggestions for good light roast coffee (or really any coffee that doesn't taste horribly burned like Starbucks), I'd love to hear it!

For all your coffee needs you can't go wrong with Intelligentsia: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/
Try the house blend, its always perfectly roasted and at least 2 times as good as anything you'll find at most stores.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

In regards to alarm clocks, I got this for my dad for Christmas. He's getting hard of hearing in his old age and can't hear his old clock's alarm. This one has a really loud (and adjustable) alarm if you want it, but it also has a vibrating thingy to stick under your pillow to shake you awake. Even if your hearing is fine, it might be worth thinking about if you are a heavy sleeper. If your hearing is fine and you aren't a heavy sleeper, though, it's probably not worth the bother. Dad says the display is really bright. If that's an issue, you can do what I do with my own clock and throw a washcloth over it at night.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:

thepitgoddess posted:

I hate/love this thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Alarm-Clock-Wheels-Almond/dp/B000PWLTNA

The alarm clock sounds like space ships conversing. It's loud, and if you turn the wheels on, it will get far enough away that you have to physically get out of bed to nab.

I have this! Hate/love definitely describes it. It WILL get you out of bed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Julet Esqu posted:

In regards to alarm clocks, I got this for my dad for Christmas. He's getting hard of hearing in his old age and can't hear his old clock's alarm. This one has a really loud (and adjustable) alarm if you want it, but it also has a vibrating thingy to stick under your pillow to shake you awake. Even if your hearing is fine, it might be worth thinking about if you are a heavy sleeper. If your hearing is fine and you aren't a heavy sleeper, though, it's probably not worth the bother. Dad says the display is really bright. If that's an issue, you can do what I do with my own clock and throw a washcloth over it at night.

Another idea: alarm clocks actually made for the deaf and hearing-impaired.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

SuitcasePimp posted:

For all your coffee needs you can't go wrong with Intelligentsia: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/
Try the house blend, its always perfectly roasted and at least 2 times as good as anything you'll find at most stores.

I know they sell this stuff at a hipster/lesbian coffee shop five minutes walk from my house. Sadly I've never been there, nor had Intelligentsia. I will check it out! I'm liking the sound of their breakfast blend:

Intelligentsia Coffee posted:

El Gallo Organic Breakfast Blend

El Gallo offers an enveloping velvety mouthfeel in perfect balance with the mild fruit-like acidity and warming hazelnut nuances. The finish brings cane sugar and a touch of floral.

I think it's the "fruit-like acidity" that I like about the Cooke's breakfast blend. I know what I like, I just can't put it into words like they can.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Another model of the same clock I linked was right there on the front page, so I think I managed that. :)

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Sgs-Cruz posted:

I know they sell this stuff at a hipster/lesbian coffee shop five minutes walk from my house. Sadly I've never been there, nor had Intelligentsia. I will check it out! I'm liking the sound of their breakfast blend:

I think it's the "fruit-like acidity" that I like about the Cooke's breakfast blend. I know what I like, I just can't put it into words like they can.

Theres lesbian coffee shops?

Like is it literally gay-bar style this place is for lesbos or do you just notice a group of regular lesbians there?

I've never seen a gay establishment outside of a bar or nightclub. How quaint.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
[whoops wrong thread!]

30 Goddamned Dicks has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jan 9, 2011

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!

Merou posted:

Theres lesbian coffee shops?

Like is it literally gay-bar style this place is for lesbos or do you just notice a group of regular lesbians there?

I've never seen a gay establishment outside of a bar or nightclub. How quaint.

I'm mainly joking, it's not at all just for lesbians. It's just a popular coffee shop for gay people (mainly women) in this area to hang out at.

sergeant2010
Nov 5, 2010

by T. Finn

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

What's up with Intelligentsia? I mean, how in the world are they justified in charging $20-$30 per pound for their single origin coffee? I can get fresh roasted single origin organic fair trade for $13/lb from my fave cofferoaster up here. I know everyone in here really likes their stuff, and I want to hear why it's so much better than anything I can get locally (because I don't wanna spend any more money :sweatdrop: )

From their website:

quote:

Our buying model is beginning to set new standards in the industry. It is the result of many years of experience working at source and navigating the ups and downs that are inherent in agriculture and developing countries. The premise is simple: Engage producers in the quality process, control quality from tree to port, make it all transparent, and pay prices that reward outstanding results. But the actual work is anything but simple. There is a seemingly endless list of variables with which to wrestle. The odds are stacked against success, a result of decades of corruption and chaos in the local industries and a historically merciless marketplace that robbed farmers of the opportunity to be active participants in their own destinies. Since coffee is among the top export earners for most producing countries, it is no surprise that the coffee trade is extremely politicized.

To cut through all the uncertainty, we’ve created systems that allow producers access to the same information as the millers and exporters. Our Transparency Contract is an important tool that defines and documents costs and profit across the chain of custody. A tiered pricing system establishes a very sustainable base price and ensures there is a clear, tangible link between cup quality and coffee value. Together their use empowers individual producers to control the outcome of their work in a way that was not available to them before. When the possibilities are well understood, well defined and reliable, producers can make real progress in advancing their incomes and making coffee farming a truly attractive profession. And the better news? Most producers we’ve met really want to improve upon what they are doing. They’ve never had the proper resources and had never been guaranteed substantial premiums for producing higher quality coffees.

When we talk about relationships, we really mean it. Not just an occasional phone conversation or a handshake or a postcard on the odd holiday. It is important to develop mutual trust and to create a sense of actual partnership where one person’s success supports the others. Since top coffee quality is such a delicate and fragile thing to produce, we must relentlessly commit to guarding and encouraging it. We typically spend time at each origin before, during, and after harvest in order to impact results and to anticipate hurdles rather than react to them. Ultimately, it is the farmer’s job to take care of his or her coffees, but we need to take an active role in helping them succeed. This means regular communication, feedback, advice, pre-financing, and training. It means being an integral part of the process.

When it all comes together, it leads to coffees that defy expectations and positively rewrite the definition of specialty coffee.

The price is higher because, unlike most capitalists, they are not exploiting the labor of the downtrodden proletariats. Of course, people will probably end up buying the coffee that is of equal quality and of a lower price, driving them out of business, but sometimes it is nice to think happy thoughts.

:coffee:

As for a recommended product, I have to say Olde English 800 is a pretty good, and cheap, alternative to those expensive hard liquors and fancy beers that some of y'all like to drink. I also recommend getting a case of budweiser, in cans. I mean, if it's ok for a keg to be made out of metal, why isn't it ok for something holding beer to be made out of metal?

Besides, glass is for those snobs that like the taste and smell of skunk.

sergeant2010 has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jan 9, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

dr go hog wild posted:

I have the SodaStream Fountain Jet (the cheapest model), and the product itself is great. Highly recommend.

gently caress the sodastream. You should go old school:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00304SLAO/ref=oss_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007JXR6/ref=oss_product

Soda siphon, 3 stooges style. $100 will get you 100 liters of carbonated water, and $40 will get you 100 after that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
'Body Heat' otherwise known as the iVibrator. What a great (f)app.

http://www.frequency.com/video/body-heat-by/2077223

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I'm a salesman at "The World's Best Computer Store" so there's all sorts of fun stuff I could recommend, I'll start with a couple things I sell a lot of.

Logitech Harmony 650
. Really you can go with any Harmony remote but this is the cheapest one that still has a screen. You could go with the 300 but without a screen you can't keep all the functionality of the remotes you're replacing, which kind of defeats the purpose of having one to begin with. Anyway these remotes are very easy to set up and once you have one you won't look back. I use it with my TV, AV receiver, HTPC case, Xbox 360, and cable box.

Logitech Dinovo Mini. I have gone through so many goddamn HTPC keyboards, finding this was like a lightbulb coming on. The bluetooth functionality allows it to resist all the interference that plagues this setup typically. Yes, it's a $115 keyboard but you won't have to buy another one. The other cool thing about the dinovo mini is it has two modes, keyboard mode and media remote mode. Keyboard mode allows you to browse the web, rename files, really anything you'd do on a computer. Media remote mode allows you to use the device with media portal and other software like that without having to spend the time to program a whole different device. It just works. And you can hack the logitech setpoint software to assign the buttons how you'd like.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Soda siphon, 3 stooges style. $100 will get you 100 liters of carbonated water, and $40 will get you 100 after that.

What's wrong with these chargers? http://www.amazon.com/iSi-10-Pack-Soda-Chargers-Gold/dp/B00007JXR8/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

They're a lot cheaper.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I drink a ridiculous amount of flavored seltzer water in cans because it doesn't have any calories or weird chemically ingredients. Does anyone know if you can make flavors with these things?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

The Light Eternal posted:

What's wrong with these chargers? http://www.amazon.com/iSi-10-Pack-Soda-Chargers-Gold/dp/B00007JXR8/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

They're a lot cheaper.

No they aren't. They're 7.99 for a 10 pack. My link is 39.50 for a 100 pack.

ANd you can't really make flavors with them, no, it'll gunk up the inside of the tank. I usually just add a little slice of lemon/lime to my drink.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bok Bok posted:

I drink a ridiculous amount of flavored seltzer water in cans because it doesn't have any calories or weird chemically ingredients. Does anyone know if you can make flavors with these things?

Not to be a jerk but I'm really puzzled how adding flavoring to something doesn't count as "weird chemically ingredients". Just because law states that they only have to describe it as "natural flavors" doesn't mean that it's not synthetic or made of all sorts of big scary-sounding chemicals, it just means that the materials it was synthesized with were organic in origin rather than wholly synthetic.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not to be a jerk but I'm really puzzled how adding flavoring to something doesn't count as "weird chemically ingredients". Just because law states that they only have to describe it as "natural flavors" doesn't mean that it's not synthetic or made of all sorts of big scary-sounding chemicals, it just means that the materials it was synthesized with were organic in origin rather than wholly synthetic.

I'm comparing it to vitamin water or other poo poo with artificial sweeteners, even if they do use ingredients from a lab, it's minimal in comparison. Besides, they sell it at Whole Foods so it can't have too much evil in it. Right? :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tried out that Bar Keeper's Friend stuff in order to clean some really tough black surface-smooth stains on some steel cookware. My stuff gleams again!

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

No they aren't. They're 7.99 for a 10 pack. My link is 39.50 for a 100 pack.

ANd you can't really make flavors with them, no, it'll gunk up the inside of the tank. I usually just add a little slice of lemon/lime to my drink.

Ah, I can't read.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I will hopefully return with more questions or recommendations, however at this point I have only one person to thank; whoever put me in the direction of these Khatadin LL Bean boots. An amazing investment seemingly. They are decently broken in at this point, but out of the box, felt like I was floating (aside from the weight of the shoe). Thank you thank you thank you, I needed these so badly, and theyre exactly what I was looking for.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

French press? Feh.

Seriously, get the AeroPress from Amazon.

As for coffee, get any whole bean coffee and grind it yourself (espresso setting). Just about any store that sells whole beans has a grinder set up, so you don't even have to buy one.

Seriously. The AeroPress. It changed my life. It's the best thing in the whole wide universe. Ever. Greatest best.

I second this. Got one for work as they changed vendors and the coffee SUCKS. Never liked french presses and found this. Best cup of coffee and it's really easy to use. Two other people have bought ones here after tasting the results.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Can anyone recommend good earphones/headset for a Blackberry Curve? I currently own these ones, but they are too big for my ears and they're breaking on me already. They came with the phone, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to be able play/pause/change tracks and answer calls without having to dig my phone out of my purse or pocket. I've seen a couple of people with those (the kind that seem to be talking to themselves), but I'm not sure how well your interlocutor can hear you.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
I looked through the thread and didn't see this (as well as used Google to search this site and didn't see it either), but if you have a .edu email address, you're eligible for one free year of Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Free two-day shipping on anything you want. Pretty sure you'll want to cancel around month 11- juuuuust in case Amazon decides to "bill early" for month 13.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Can someone suggest a reliable website to buy a replacement battery for a Blackberry (Curve 8300)? I tried going to 'The Source' but they wanted $50.

Edit: Forgot to specify that I'm in Canada.

Carbon Thief has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jan 12, 2011

got your nose!
May 3, 2008

and i'm not giving it back

Carbon Thief posted:

Can someone suggest a reliable website to buy a replacement battery for a Blackberry (Curve 8300)? I tried going to 'The Source' but they wanted $50.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-CS-2-Original-Li-Ion-Battery/dp/B0030T0UGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294820691&sr=8-1

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Can anyone recommend good earphones/headset for a Blackberry Curve? I currently own these ones, but they are too big for my ears and they're breaking on me already. They came with the phone, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to be able play/pause/change tracks and answer calls without having to dig my phone out of my purse or pocket. I've seen a couple of people with those (the kind that seem to be talking to themselves), but I'm not sure how well your interlocutor can hear you.

Do you want stereo earphones or just a single earpiece?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

I've been looking through Amazon.ca, but there are a number of batteries with review that say "this is a knockoff and didn't work". How can I tell which ones are real?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nullandvoid posted:

I looked through the thread and didn't see this (as well as used Google to search this site and didn't see it either), but if you have a .edu email address, you're eligible for one free year of Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Free two-day shipping on anything you want. Pretty sure you'll want to cancel around month 11- juuuuust in case Amazon decides to "bill early" for month 13.

There's no reason to ever cancel Prime. Best thing ever. Not only is it free 2 day shipping, but overnight is only 3.99 an item. loving steal.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Nesnej posted:

I'd like to get the water pik since I hate flossing but should do it, but I don't have room for another bulky appliance in my bathroom. How well would something like this perform?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

I went ahead and bought this since I don't have any counter space.

I just got it in today, and I can say that the installation was pretty easy. However, since I've never tried a water pik before, I'm having some troubles figuring out how to use it. My whole bathroom got wet! I'm a lttle scared to try it again...

Any tips?

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
Keep your mouth closed and keep your head low and over the sink.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

The Light Eternal posted:

Do you want stereo earphones or just a single earpiece?

Stereo earphones, if possible.

brendaneph
Apr 14, 2003

Mushinronsha posted:

I went ahead and bought this since I don't have any counter space.

I just got it in today, and I can say that the installation was pretty easy. However, since I've never tried a water pik before, I'm having some troubles figuring out how to use it. My whole bathroom got wet! I'm a lttle scared to try it again...

Any tips?

I just got mine today too thanks to this tread. I've used it twice. First time over the sink where I got the whole counter and mirror wet. I have a really small sink that barely comes above my knees. The second time I used it I rigged it to the towel rack next to the shower and used it in the shower. I think I'll keep doing that till I get better at it.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Stereo earphones, if possible.

I have an older version of these and I like them:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S305-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B002BH3I9U/ref=sr_1_38?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1294891520&sr=1-38

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Can someone recommend a good general shopping site for Canada? There are many great recommendations in this thread that I'd really like to try out (especially for dental hygiene), but none of them will ship to Canada from Amazon :(.

Well.ca for all your hygiene needs!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I mentioned these about a month ago when I first got them. I use them several hours and they work great. The battery lasts a super long time, and the controls work well. Sound-wise, I'd say they're middle of the road. I own better stuff, but for the convenience and safety of not dealing with wires at work they're good enough.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

brendaneph posted:

I just got mine today too thanks to this tread. I've used it twice. First time over the sink where I got the whole counter and mirror wet. I have a really small sink that barely comes above my knees. The second time I used it I rigged it to the towel rack next to the shower and used it in the shower. I think I'll keep doing that till I get better at it.
If you do not like it being rigged to a towel rack, you could go for one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Oral-Breeze-Inc-SB-ShowerBreeze/dp/B000CEMWHI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

They are like the faucet ones but they attach in between the pipe and shower head.

brendaneph
Apr 14, 2003
I'm going to recommend a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It is not quite as fast as a stove-top pressure cooker, but it can act as a slowcooker, and a rice cooker. I really like this product. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't have a delayed timer so I can put my steel cut oats in before I go to bed and have them nice and hot when I wakeup. Oh well. Steel Cut oats in less than 10 minutes, no complaints.

brendaneph has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jan 13, 2011

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

I got my Contigo Autoseal mugs today, and at first glance, they seem ten times more solid than any other mug I've owned, but I haven't used them for coffee yet, just some water. Based on the pictures, I was a little worried about the plastic button (it seemed like something that could break) but it looks pretty solid.

If this thread is still going, I'll report back after using it for a few weeks. I tend to break coffee cups and travel mugs very quickly, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Speaking of boots, I'm in love with my Chippewa Katahdin Iron Works Boots, also known as L.L. Bean engineer boots. Its pretty drat hard to find a better boot for the price. The entire upper is full-grain leather, so with proper care they should last pretty much forever. Once they're broken in they fit like a glove, as the leather shapes its self to your foot. They're great outdoors and, lets face it, they look drat fine with a pair of jeans. They're water resistant, especially with a coat of Obenauf's LP, though if you're tracking through tons of ice and snow you're probably better off wearing specialized snow boots.

Heres a picture of a worn in pair I stole off google:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

If you're not a fan of the toe cap, I can only assume their cousin the Chippewa GQ boot is just as good.

These shoes are amazing! Thank you for posting them. Can you or anyone please give me some advice/guidelines on how to take care of these boots? I'm moving to Missoula, MT, so it's gonna be cold and snowy for a couple months.

• Locked thread