Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Stories of models getting broken make me cringe. More so when it's something bizarre like that.

Lol if you've never seen someone pick up an old Hive Tyrant model they've just finished painting, go to put it in their case and have it fall off the base and shatter into 20 pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gravitas Shortfall, did you greenstuff the leather at the waist there, or is that a bit?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SRM posted:

Don't down yourself on the paintjob, it looks pretty drat good.

It's mainly the highlighting on the black, I got the greaves right and everything else is really messy. Eyes are too dark too, he looks like he's wearing eye shadow.

SRM posted:

Gravitas Shortfall, did you greenstuff the leather at the waist there, or is that a bit?

It's a modified part from the Space Marine Captain kit. Body is a Vanguard Veteran, Head and Jump-pack are Blood Angels (I think the bolt pistol is as well), and the Deathwatch pad is from the upgrade kit (but I got it seperately). Ordered everything on ebay, only used 2 sellers to keep postage down.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bitches don't know bout my tankbustas

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's a good brand of gesso to get, hopefully in large-ish quantities so I can prime almost an entire Tyranid army. I'm sort of assuming Valejo makes some?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I don't know if it really matters when it comes to brands. I just went down to my local art supply store store and bought a pint of it for like $8. So far it's done about 70 points of Warmahordes and a grip of Reaper minis and I have barely put a dent in it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

pw pw pw posted:

Bitches don't know bout my tankbustas

Are they entirely plastic aside from the Squig? Either way, awesome. :buddy:

SumYungGui posted:

What's a good brand of gesso to get, hopefully in large-ish quantities so I can prime almost an entire Tyranid army. I'm sort of assuming Valejo makes some?

Liquitex

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Another question, does gesso have the same problems with international shipping that spray primer does? Hoping not as it isn't aerosol. Going to Afghanistan in a few months and trying to line up my supplies now so I don't get terminally bored when I'm there so looking for a good gesso, probably white that I can find at a hobby story and then get shipped later on. Is this liquitex what I'm looking for?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SumYungGui posted:

Another question, does gesso have the same problems with international shipping that spray primer does? Hoping not as it isn't aerosol. Going to Afghanistan in a few months and trying to line up my supplies now so I don't get terminally bored when I'm there so looking for a good gesso, probably white that I can find at a hobby story and then get shipped later on. Is this liquitex what I'm looking for?

Yeah man, Liquitex. Consider the merits of the grey.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

bhsman posted:

Are they entirely plastic aside from the Squig? Either way, awesome. :buddy:

Yeah, that's just the result of half a dozen unused rokkits I had lying around, plus a few IG bitz and ingenuity. They did really well cruising around in a battlewagon last game I played, and it's got me strongly considering maxing out the squad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fix posted:

Yeah man, Liquitex. Consider the merits of the grey.

I'll look into the brand but I believe I'm going to have to be an unfortunate hardass on the grey part. Already done a fair chunk of my army (60+ Termagants/Hormagaunts:suicide:) with white primer and don't want to change mid stream.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SumYungGui posted:

I'll look into the brand but I believe I'm going to have to be an unfortunate hardass on the grey part. Already done a fair chunk of my army (60+ Termagants/Hormagaunts:suicide:) with white primer and don't want to change mid stream.

Considering how lovely white gesso is and the fact that you have a horde army to paint, I would recommend sticking with spray primer.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, I swear I've seen this answered on here but I couldn't find it just now. What can you use in place the P3 "Mixing Medium" ? It seems like it's something I can get for a lot cheaper at Hobby Lobby.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Acrylic matte medium

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Why, why did I paint marines in split colours?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Split colors and white. You're a lunatic, but you skimmer looks rad.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Why, why did I paint marines in split colours?

Why?

quote:

Because it owns.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:3:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

SumYungGui posted:

I use a cheap pot I got on sale from Hobby Lobby for like 6 bucks. The one small jar has primed 150 ork boyz, 3 battle wagons, 85 marines, 80 clan rats, 15 terminators, and 5 or 6 rhinos. So far the pot is only half gone, but after I prime the 250+ guys I need for my Skaven army that will change.

bhsman posted:

Why?

Because it owns.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

My first attempt at painting my mans a few months ago. I was pretty proud of them. Not based obviously, but :D.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I don't know, man. You could claim they're based.

You know how they have entire planets devoted to factories or farms or whatever in the grim dark future?

Well, they are currently on a world entirely devoted to being a Jackson Pollack studio.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bhsman posted:

Considering how lovely white gesso is and the fact that you have a horde army to paint, I would recommend sticking with spray primer.

Spray primer has two issues for me, for one I can't get it shipped to me once I deploy. The other problem is I apparently suck hairy donkey balls at using it because everything after my first run through that I have ever used it on comes out with this sandpapery almost stucco like texture over everything I prime and it's either a pain in the rear end to rub down every single surface to get them looking good or the paint looks like poo poo once it goes on. So I'm done with spray primer, it's on to gesso and better paint jobs (with international shipping) forever!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SumYungGui posted:

Spray primer has two issues for me, for one I can't get it shipped to me once I deploy. The other problem is I apparently suck hairy donkey balls at using it because everything after my first run through that I have ever used it on comes out with this sandpapery almost stucco like texture over everything I prime and it's either a pain in the rear end to rub down every single surface to get them looking good or the paint looks like poo poo once it goes on. So I'm done with spray primer, it's on to gesso and better paint jobs (with international shipping) forever!

Black gesso then, grey at the worst. Masochists wouldn't use white gesso.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Complete painting newbie question here. How do you stop thinned paints just running into the cracks that are meant to hold the wash? I've tried daubing some off onto paper to minimise the amount I've got on the brush, but then it just thickens back up to full colour thickness, which defeats the object.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Sounds like your paint's too thin, try adding some more paint back in - it's tough to describe how the paint feels / acts on the brush when you've got it at just the right consistency but you'll get the feel for it sooner rather than later but if it's running into detail when you don't want it to, then it's defo too thin.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Moonwolf posted:

Complete painting newbie question here. How do you stop thinned paints just running into the cracks that are meant to hold the wash? I've tried daubing some off onto paper to minimise the amount I've got on the brush, but then it just thickens back up to full colour thickness, which defeats the object.

Add more paint. Honestly I add like a drop of water to the paint that I'm using. Basically it should be just enough that when you paint it flat on a surface you dont see brush marks. I'm a nub painter too but the first thing I do when I start painting is mess with my paint/water ratio till it feels right, otherwise you get the problem you just described.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Went and got that Liquitex white gesso. Surprise surprise it's a learning process to get it on decently. A brave Genestealer someone had abused with paint before giving it to me was the first subject. Remember his name well, for I sure as hell don't but he has given his life for education.

edit: A question was asked of me that I do not know the answer to and that I have never actually seen on any sort of GW publication. What kind of paint is GW stuff? Acrylic, oil, water, water-soluble oil (I did not know this existed before today). This is apparently important if I wish to get crazy with paints and use stuff like mixing medium.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 11, 2011

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

SumYungGui posted:

Went and got that Liquitex white gesso. Surprise surprise it's a learning process to get it on decently. A brave Genestealer someone had abused with paint before giving it to me was the first subject. Remember his name well, for I sure as hell don't but he has given his life for education.

edit: A question was asked of me that I do not know the answer to and that I have never actually seen on any sort of GW publication. What kind of paint is GW stuff? Acrylic, oil, water, water-soluble oil (I did not know this existed before today). This is apparently important if I wish to get crazy with paints and use stuff like mixing medium.

:suicide:

For the love of god why did you not at least get grey? White gesso sucks in pretty much every way.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Come now, white gesso is not that bad, especially when you're painting white. Yes, gesso is fragile like an old lady compared to spray, but just be careful when painting. Speaking of spray, I have had some real problems with spray primer on metal models, it flaked of completely after while, what went wrong?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Come now, white gesso is not that bad, especially when you're painting white. Yes, gesso is fragile like an old lady compared to spray, but just be careful when painting. Speaking of spray, I have had some real problems with spray primer on metal models, it flaked of completely after while, what went wrong?

At a guess.. mold release agent on the model, did you clean the models beforehand?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

I scrubbed it down with a brush and some soapy water, but since it was one of my first minis I probably didn't get it clean enough.

pw pw pw posted:

Yeah, that's just the result of half a dozen unused rokkits I had lying around, plus a few IG bitz and ingenuity. They did really well cruising around in a battlewagon last game I played, and it's got me strongly considering maxing out the squad.

I've been wondering, how do tankbustas fare in a battlewagon with their gloryhogs rule? Does the transport negate it or anything or is it just the added protection and speed that make them more viable?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Glory hogs has not been a huge problem for me. I don't buy tankbustas to kill space marines, I buy them to kill tanks. What's so wrong with only being able to use them for what they're good at?

The problem with tankbustas is that they're 15 point models with a 6+ save. They need a transport to survive. Trukks do alright, but it's nice having a big sturdy wagon to keep them inside. I've been debating lately whether I should use my battlewagon for my bustas and my trukk for meganobz, or vice versa. They definitely benefit from the crater rule that now grants them a 4+ cover save in the area their vehicle leaves behind. If someone blows up the transport just hunker down in your newly deployed cover.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Backno posted:

:suicide:

For the love of god why did you not at least get grey? White gesso sucks in pretty much every way.

Necessary evil. I've already done a whole hell of a lot of my army in white primer and with my base color it shows through pretty significantly. Switching to grey would have changed the look substantially. Doesn't look too bad though I think I need to water it down a bit and give it two coats. It's basically the exact same lesson I had to learn for paints for the exact same 'chunky brush stroke-y' look reasons. If all it does it boil down to me taking awhile longer to gesso than it does to spray primer them I'm still ecstatic because spray priming faster doesn't mean poo poo when the weather hasn't let you prime in months.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Thanks for the paint advice. Because I'm insane I decided that Dark Eldar would be the best idea for restarting this hobby after a 13 year gap, and god the models are fiddly.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Quick priming question; it's about 48 degrees outside and sunny, is that still too cold to prime at or should I take the chance? I was planning to do it in an open garage so I could keep wind out and so I wouldn't have to worry too much about fumes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bhsman posted:

Quick priming question; it's about 48 degrees outside and sunny, is that still too cold to prime at or should I take the chance? I was planning to do it in an open garage so I could keep wind out and so I wouldn't have to worry too much about fumes.

It's totally fine as long as you bring them inside. I primed in 20something degree weather last week, brought the stuff inside and had zero problems.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SRM posted:

It's totally fine as long as you bring them inside. I primed in 20something degree weather last week, brought the stuff inside and had zero problems.

Like, immediately bring them inside after spraying? Or can I spray, let a side try, and then spray the other before bringing them in? Just want to make sure; I've only got a few days before I can head back to school and I really want to start painting my Oath before then. :arghfist::saddowns:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

bhsman posted:

Like, immediately bring them inside after spraying? Or can I spray, let a side try, and then spray the other before bringing them in? Just want to make sure; I've only got a few days before I can head back to school and I really want to start painting my Oath before then. :arghfist::saddowns:

Keep everything inside until you're ready to spray. Take them outside, spray, take them in to dry, then if you need a second or third coat take them outside again, spray, take them in to dry. Just don't let anything get cold and you'll be fine.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chenghiz posted:

Keep everything inside until you're ready to spray. Take them outside, spray, take them in to dry, then if you need a second or third coat take them outside again, spray, take them in to dry. Just don't let anything get cold and you'll be fine.

Fair enough, I'll go give it a try now.

EDIT: And I can confirm that it works pretty well. Thanks for the advice, Chengiz and SRM. :)

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Chenghiz posted:

This also works when it is stupid humid outside :science:

• Locked thread