Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Muffinpox posted:

I think most insurance companies in the US have discounts if you take a "defensive driver" course or do a HPDE.
I called GEICO last year, and asked this question. Turns out, they only give "defensive driver course" discounts to elderly drivers. And not only do they NOT give discounts for HPEE, but they will not cover any damage that occurs on a racetrack, and insurance companies across the board (GEICO included) are renowned for dropping people the moment they discover they've done HPDEs. I guess, demographically, people who do HPDEs are agressive drivers who get in a lot of accidents or something.

That said, I know people who have wrecked at HPDE, been 100% up-front about it, and had GEICO fix their car. So, inconsistency is the rule, but you're rolling the dice if you try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoYo
Mar 15, 2003
Physics!!

DropShadow posted:

A4's don't have Haldex AWD; A3 quattros, TT's and R32's do.

Oh that's right they have the better Torsen system, my bad. So then the question becomes why get a Golf R which from what I can see online only weighs 225lbs less than an A4, 3300 vs 3525, when the A4 offers better AWD and more interior amenities for the same price? Not to come off like an Audi fanboy but they're from the same development group and it seems like a reasonable question.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

I thought TTs had the same system the A4 has?

Nope. VAG cars with transverse-mounted engines like the A3, TT and R32 all have Haldex-based AWD systems. Cars with longitudinally mounted engines, like in the A4 and up, have Torsen-based quattro AWD.

edit: /\/\/\ The Golf R has the newest version of Haldex which is supposed to be a big improvement. I'm with you, though, and would choose quattro over Haldex for the money.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 12, 2010

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

I called GEICO last year, and asked this question. Turns out, they only give "defensive driver course" discounts to elderly drivers. And not only do they NOT give discounts for HPEE, but they will not cover any damage that occurs on a racetrack, and insurance companies across the board (GEICO included) are renowned for dropping people the moment they discover they've done HPDEs. I guess, demographically, people who do HPDEs are agressive drivers who get in a lot of accidents or something.

That said, I know people who have wrecked at HPDE, been 100% up-front about it, and had GEICO fix their car. So, inconsistency is the rule, but you're rolling the dice if you try it.

It might vary by who runs the program, my insurance offers a discount to go to BMW club high performance drivers training which is just a HPDE at NHMS. My friend said allstate is the same.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 12, 2010

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

grover posted:

This seems counter-intuitive. You'd think someone that pays for, and participates in, training of actual driving courses, which to get the most out of should teach you to be keenly aware of your surroundings, driving conditions and your understanding of what your car is and isn't capable of, would more likely be a better driver compared to your average Joe. Also, you'd think someone that pays for a class like this is also interested in, and enjoys, driving, so they're more likely to be paying more attention when they're driving compared to someone that just sees it as a chore.

Then again, I'm not an insurance adjuster and I can only wager a guess at what the demo is for a HPDE course.

That being said, I'd love for there to be a way to "test out" and substantially lower my liability coverage.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'd love to, too!

Muffinpox posted:

It might vary by who runs the program, my insurance offers a discount to go to BMW club high performance drivers training which is just a HPDE at NHMS. My friend said allstate is the same.
May, again, be a demographics thing. Of course, BMW school is more than just track driving, it's also wet skidpad and all sorts of recovery training, too. And I bet demographics for BMW school graduates is fewer accidents, not more.

Insurance companies do really odd things in the name of demographics. For instance, full liability and collision coverage on a $30k Porsche costs less than on a $15k Honda Civic because Porsche drivers are, as a demographic, far less likely to get into accidents. Completely counterintuitive, but per GEICO, that's the way their rates are structured.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 12, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Muffinpox posted:

Are you sure they weren't confusing a BMW club run HPDE day with with the actual BMW performance driving school located in SC?
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...+9Dx86T6xGhQQ==

zamin posted:

This seems counter-intuitive. You'd think someone that pays for, and participates in, training of actual driving courses, which to get the most out of should teach you to be keenly aware of your surroundings, driving conditions and your understanding of what your car is and isn't capable of, would more likely be a better driver compared to your average Joe. Also, you'd think someone that pays for a class like this is also interested in, and enjoys, driving, so they're more likely to be paying more attention when they're driving compared to someone that just sees it as a chore.

Then again, I'm not an insurance adjuster and I can only wager a guess at what the demo is for a HPDE course.

That being said, I'd love for there to be a way to "test out" and substantially lower my liability coverage.

The insurance company is concerned with you going out and driving at a very high rate of speed and greatly increasing the possibly of smashing your car into something. They don't want to pay for that. To them its one thing if you accidentally plow into another car during your morning commute and another if you willingly go somewhere and push your car to the limit and possibly wad it up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I posted a link up in the Deals subforum, but this is really compelling, if you need to buy a new car, today or tomorrow:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373824

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kill me now posted:

Are you sure they weren't confusing a BMW club run HPDE day with with the actual BMW performance driving school located in SC?
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...+9Dx86T6xGhQQ==

Yep, they specifically mention NHMS.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would you like more government in your car?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/03/nhtsa-proposes-mandatory-backup-cameras-by-2014/5

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

article posted:

Will making rearview cameras mandatory help curb this? Is it possible but is this another case where drivers are moving further away from knowing actual driving skills and closer to reliance on digital assistance?

Now we're worried about that? Seems like reverse cameras are the last thing that should trigger that reaction.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I heard about this bill on the radio today and there was a woman on who was from an organization for saving the 300 some odd children whose parents run them over every year backing up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah pretty sure that this mandate won't stop any of that from happening. That sort of thing happens because people are idiots not because they can't see behind them enough.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Someone backed into me as I walked through a carpark yesterday. They were blindly staring in front of them; with one of those cameras I'd imagine they would still be doing exactly that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
This will be like that frustrating "feature" on my riding lawnmower that forces me to push a button before backing up, isn't it? Not that pushing a button forces me to look backwards... in fact, quite the opposite. I end up looking at the button instead of looking at what's behind me.

Now, people are going to be looking at the camera, and not actually looking BACK where their peripheral vision would see kids running towards them, etc. These had better be some damned good cameras.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

grover posted:

This will be like that frustrating "feature" on my riding lawnmower that forces me to push a button before backing up, isn't it? Not that pushing a button forces me to look backwards... in fact, quite the opposite. I end up looking at the button instead of looking at what's behind me.

Now, people are going to be looking at the camera, and not actually looking BACK where their peripheral vision would see kids running towards them, etc. These had better be some damned good cameras.

If the cameras come with fisheye lenses on them I will be supremely happy.

I love fisheye lenses.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blocko posted:

I love fisheye lenses.

All the backing-up cameras I've used have been very much fisheye, allowing you to see the pavement under your bumper, the wall right behind the camera, and things pretty far off to the side.

I think it'd be a lot safer if all cars were required to be Miatas or other short and low-slung cars with minimal blind spots.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Blocko posted:

I love fisheye lenses.

I think you can fit your own for not much effort.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mobile-Phone-Digital-Camera-Jelly-Lens-/190368210192?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c52d45d10

You know what I want? OEM onboard video recorders that continuously record a video loop from the onboard cameras, one in the front and back, maybe on the sides too. This would be great for evidence in the event of an accident, or for performance driving. The incremental cost to implement this should be trivial as 90% of the hardware needed is already on the car. I could cobble together a system myself for probably a couple hundred bucks worth of parts, why can't I get it as an option on a new car that can already send text message via voice recognition and do all this other dumb poo poo that no one should ever need?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MetaJew posted:

So am I a complete tool for really wanting a 4 door Golf R when it comes out in mid-2011? Of course, it's not a fancy AWD system like the one found in Subies, but I bet it's fun.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/09/volkswagen-golf-r-coming-to-america-official/

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

So, 270 HP from a 2.0 l turbo, AWD, and a six speed? It won't compete with the STi or EVO (and it will probably be just as expensive), but I bet it'll be a great daily driver car and have a great interior.

\/\/\/\/ Yeah, the $34k price tag is little too much. I guess I'll have to find an in-between car.

Edit: My major concern with this engine, and DI engines in general(see: MZR 2.3 DISI, but not Toyota's DIs) is the issue of carbon buildup in the intake and on the intake valves. I've read that running an oil catch can from the get go greatly reduces this problem, along with running seafoam through a booster line at every oil change. I haven't read through the VW/Audi thread enough to see if those guys are having this problem or what-- but it's a concern.

It's also not really AWD - most of the time it's FWD and occasionally it'll shuttle 10% of the power to the back wheels. Evo compared it to the new STI and an Evo and came away wondering what the R really added over the regular GTI.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BonzoESC posted:

I think it'd be a lot safer if all cars were required to be Miatas or other short and low-slung cars with minimal blind spots.

Only works with the top down - Miatas (well NAs at least) have massive blindspots with the top up.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Only works with the top down - Miatas (well NAs at least) have massive blindspots with the top up.
Why would you drive a convertible with the top up? :colbert:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

Why would you drive a convertible with the top up? :colbert:

Because everyone else is driving with the top down. :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

grover posted:

With the visibility of a lot of larger cars you wouldn't be able to see the kids running towards you if you tried looking back.

We need smaller cars or taller kids :colbert:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

grover posted:

I would expect mandatory reverse radars to be much more useful. You wouldn't need to actively watch, just react if they beep. Would probably be cheaper too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Saukkis posted:

I would expect mandatory reverse radars to be much more useful. You wouldn't need to actively watch, just react if they beep. Would probably be cheaper too.

You'd think traction control would be higher up on the list than this or the camera.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
^^^ Traction control has been mandatory since MY 08.

grover posted:

You use a Cub Cadet, don't you? Start the mower, move the key to "reverse" mowing, push the button, mow forward or reverse at will. It won't pop the PTO. It's a little harder (make and install shorting jumpers) if you have a zero-turn.

Regardless, that poo poo is the dumbest thing ever. Commercial units aren't "required" to have it and allow you to mow over children at 12 MPH in reverse. I suggest you get one of those.

japtor posted:

With the visibility of a lot of larger cars you wouldn't be able to see the kids running towards you if you tried looking back.

We need smaller cars or taller kids :colbert:

When driving my truck, it is impossible to see a Corvette passing to my right except for the antenna. I have since readjusted my towing mirrors to view that blind spot, but those mirrors are an uncommon option. I can't see a GOD damned thing behind me. I'd actually like to install a rearview camera, and the truck is all wired for it. However, putting in a screen to display the video would cost $400-$2000 or look like complete rear end.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Skyssx posted:

You use a Cub Cadet, don't you? Start the mower, move the key to "reverse" mowing, push the button, mow forward or reverse at will. It won't pop the PTO. It's a little harder (make and install shorting jumpers) if you have a zero-turn.

Regardless, that poo poo is the dumbest thing ever. Commercial units aren't "required" to have it and allow you to mow over children at 12 MPH in reverse. I suggest you get one of those.
John Deere. I disabled the dead-man switch under the seat so that I can stop and move something out of the way without the engine dying on me. I haven't been bothered to disable the reverse cutout relay, though. Would be trivial, I'm sure.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

grover posted:

John Deere. I disabled the dead-man switch under the seat so that I can stop and move something out of the way without the engine dying on me. I haven't been bothered to disable the reverse cutout relay, though. Would be trivial, I'm sure.

Ehhh. Probably the same thing. The control systems are all made by Delta any more.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I read some really good reviews of the Mazda 2, so I went and test drove one this weekend. It was very fun! The ergonomics are nice, and it wears that big Mazda grin pretty well. But most importantly if felt good. The switchgear was awesome, the shifter was really, really sweet. The clutch felt good, and throttle response was nice, especially at higher revs. Mostly, though, it corners extremely well for a front driver. It is genuinely a joy to toss around. Next car I still think is going to be a Fiat, but this Mazda certainly joins the shortlist as a competitor if dealers start asking $20k for a 500, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the best way to describe the 2. On paper, it comes up short all over the place even compared to its platform mate, the Fiesta; but it's just fun.

If they ever slap a turbo on it, or even a 2.0/2.3 NA, I'd loving buy it in a heartbeat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If they ever slap a turbo on it, or even a 2.0/2.3 NA, I'd loving buy it in a heartbeat.
Never say never. You've got the 500 Abarth, and the Corsa is available with nearly 200bhp, so there's definitely a market for it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I read some really good reviews of the Mazda 2, so I went and test drove one this weekend. It was very fun! The ergonomics are nice, and it wears that big Mazda grin pretty well. But most importantly if felt good. The switchgear was awesome, the shifter was really, really sweet. The clutch felt good, and throttle response was nice, especially at higher revs. Mostly, though, it corners extremely well for a front driver. It is genuinely a joy to toss around. Next car I still think is going to be a Fiat, but this Mazda certainly joins the shortlist as a competitor if dealers start asking $20k for a 500, though.

You should look at the Fiesta too, better engine and transmission same basic chassis

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dissss posted:

You should look at the Fiesta too, better engine and transmission same basic chassis

Everyone who's reviewed the American Fiesta says it feels much deader than the 2, unfortunately. They managed to tack 200lbs onto it from the Euro model.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Everyone who's reviewed the American Fiesta says it feels much deader than the 2, unfortunately. They managed to tack 200lbs onto it from the Euro model.

Typical. I'd still check it out and see whats what with it though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hold on Hyundai, I don't think some people are done reeling from the Juke yet:
http://jalopnik.com/5728965/hyundai-curb-tries-too-hard-to-be-cool

Actually, I like the Juke and don't mind this one, except for that godawful C-pillar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Porsche 918 RSR was unveiled this morning.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/detroit-2011-porsche-918-rsr-2011-01-10

Topgear.uk posted:

Detroit 2011: Porsche unveils 918 RSR
767bhp racing version of hybrid supercar revealed at the Detroit motor show…
Posted by: Paul Horrell, 10 January 2011

Porsche has stolen the floor at the Detroit motor show with the quite sensational 918 RSR.

The RSR is a blend of the 918 Spyder road car and the hybrid tech of the 911 GT3 R hybrid we drove last year.

It looks brilliant - the closed cockpit making it look shorter and more purposeful than the 918 Spyder - and it's got cool orange stripes, and bears the number 22, which was the winning number of the Porsche 917 K that won Le Mans 40 years ago with an average speed of 138mph, not beaten until Audi did it last year. Also, the fan sits over the engine, exactly like the one on the 917's flat-12.

The 918 RSR uses a V8 from the RS Spyder racer, tuned for 563bhp at 10,300rpm (!). There are two electric motors for the front wheels - they're independently powered to give torque vectoring to improve cornering - and max power is 767bhp when the driver pushes a button to activate the electric motors. It's a six-speed paddleshift transmission for the V8.

The electric energy comes from a flywheel in the ‘passenger's seat' linked to a motor/generator to turn electric energy into flywheel energy and vice-versa. The flywheel spins to 36,000rpm.

By contrast the road 918 has a battery hybrid system instead of the flywheel. Batteries allow fairly large quantities of energy to be stored; it can do 15 miles of gentle driving on its batteries before the engine starts. The batteries can also be charged from the mains.

But, explains TopGear magazine Man of the Year Wolfgang Duerheimer, the RSR uses a flywheel because, crucially, the energy can be got into and out of the flywheel faster than it can be with batteries, so the electric kick out of a corner can be bigger. Also, the flywheel is lighter than batteries.

At the moment there's no racing category that the 918 RSR is eligible for, but Duerheimer says Porsche is talking to the authorities about making rules to fit the car. ‘We think there should be a new impulse in racing, new technologies.'

By the way, Porsche hasn't exactly opened the order books on the production 918 Spyder, but it has said it will build the car. It won't say when (we hear about two years) or how many (but 2,500 non-binding ‘letters of intent' have been signed by potential customers) or how much it'll cost (er, lots).

Lots more photos here:
http://www.gizmag.com/detroit-world-premiere-porsche-918-rsr/17529/picture/127643/

grover fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 11, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

kimbo305 posted:

Hold on Hyundai, I don't think some people are done reeling from the Juke yet:
http://jalopnik.com/5728965/hyundai-curb-tries-too-hard-to-be-cool

Actually, I like the Juke and don't mind this one, except for that godawful C-pillar.
Also at the auto show, Hyundai released the production Veloster. It has 138 hp, manual or dual clutch automatic, weighs less than 2600 lbs, will get around 40 mpg highway, and will cost under 18k. So it's like a cheaper, more practical, more efficient Honda CR-Z. The styling is, uh, creative. Two doors on the passenger side and one on the driver's.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Ughhh I hate that styling trend where they make the window glass nice and big, but don't actually cut it out so your visible area is comparably tiny. Just make the window that big!

e: Wait, am I retarded? I think that's just the other side's window showing through. I wonder how it looks in person.

squirrelBitten
May 12, 2009
Also introduced at Detroit: the new A6, which looks like every other Audi today. Except for the rear. Dear god that rear. What the hell were Audi designers thinking?

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Click here for the full 1280x852 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Raluek posted:

e: Wait, am I retarded? I think that's just the other side's window showing through. I wonder how it looks in person.

Yeah, it looks like the driver and passenger doors are different sizes, with the driver getting a larger door. It makes sense, but it does throw off the visuals a bit.