Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved it was not possible to start a fire from friction between rubber and the road.

well if mythbusters covered it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FatCow posted:

Good for mythbusters, I've seen plenty of burnouts leave flaming piles of rubber in their wake.

I'd tend to agree with this, mainly because they have to restrict what they show from a legal standpoint. If they say "yeah if you drop your clutch at 5000 RPMs you'll set your tires on fire" guess who is going to get sued when some dumbass goes out and does what he just saw on TV and ends up setting his car on fire.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Geoj posted:

I'd tend to agree with this, mainly because they have to restrict what they show from a legal standpoint. If they say "yeah if you drop your clutch at 5000 RPMs you'll set your tires on fire" guess who is going to get sued when some dumbass goes out and does what he just saw on TV and ends up setting his car on fire.

Are you seriously comparing the legal qualms of showing people that doing a long duration burnout to start tires on fire is different than exploding cars, homes, tractors, doors, fake people, etc with home made and military explosives?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FatCow posted:

Good for mythbusters, I've seen plenty of burnouts leave flaming piles of rubber in their wake.
Actual fire coming out of the rubber or smoke?

Geoj posted:

Have you seen the poo poo they do on Mythbusters? Getting sued because of what a viewer might do doesn't seem to be a big concern. Dropping the clutch @ 6000RPM (with the tires submerged in gasoline) would be amongst the boring poo poo they've done.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved it was not possible to start a fire from friction between rubber and the road.

huhwhat? After they came back from lunch the pile of rubber was smoldering.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

dietcokefiend posted:

Are you seriously comparing the legal qualms of showing people that doing a long duration burnout to start tires on fire is different than exploding cars, homes, tractors, doors, fake people, etc with home made and military explosives?

Recall that mythbusters refused to reveal the third ingredient (saltpeter) in black powder, despite it having been known for eight hundred years

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skyssx posted:

About one in ten myths they completely fail. This was one of those. I've watched it happen in front of my own eyes and there are hundreds of videos showing it happening.

It may require some combination of tire compound, road surface, and spin speed that wasn't achieved in their tests, who knows.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Todays disaster... what's left of one set of front wheelbearings on my Discovery

And the clutch release arm that I replaced at Xmas. Outside. On the drive. In the snow...

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Since we seem to be throwing in accidents lately, I figured this recent video should be included to pay homage to snowpacolypse 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

reddeathdrinker posted:

And the clutch release arm that I replaced at Xmas. Outside. On the drive. In the snow...

I see that happen a lot with subarus too.

Here's a broken rear output shaft from an STI:

and here's part of a turbo we found in the exhaust:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Mr.Peabody posted:

Since we seem to be throwing in accidents lately, I figured this recent video should be included to pay homage to snowpacolypse 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ

Still doesnt beat the stupidity found in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP28pbcz4tM

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved they were not able to start fire from friction between rubber and the road. That doesn't mean it's not possible. Just means they couldn't do it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure that the only thing Mythbusters ever actually proves is that explosions make good TV.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dietcokefiend posted:

Most people don't have access to military or even home made explosives. The number of viewers in their audience who have cars, however...

Plus how many times have they had to say "we were going to try this but our lawyers/insurance said no loving way so we're putting in a human analog instead"?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Geoj posted:

Most people don't have access to military or even home made explosives. The number of viewers in their audience who have cars, however...

Plus how many times have they had to say "we were going to try this but our lawyers/insurance said no loving way so we're putting in a human analog instead"?

Yes, because people are going to go out and try to explode tires/ruin drive-trains for the hell of it vs mixing random chemicals until they can light clothing on fire from friction or something.

Not to mention I am pretty sure everyone in their viewing audience has at one time or another done a burnout. Its nothing new.

In any case, yes mythbusters messes up lots of stuff, but it always finishes with a happy ending of one sort or another.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dietcokefiend posted:

The woman who *gets out of her car* at 0:25 (I guess because she thinks it will explode when it slides into another car at ~12mph) is potentially the stupidest person on the entire planet.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phanatic posted:

The woman who *gets out of her car* at 0:25 (I guess because she thinks it will explode when it slides into another car at ~12mph) is potentially the stupidest person on the entire planet.

:haw: Lets get out of the car and into the direct path of another sliding car :haw:

I was secretly hoping the guy trying to drag his feet to slow the car would have been snagged in a hole and had his arms ripped off though :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I dunno, the guy shortly after that who jumps out of the passenger side and is clearly trying to slow the car down Flintstones style by holding onto the door is a close second if not the winner.

e: fb

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I dunno, the guy shortly after that who jumps out of the passenger side and is clearly trying to slow the car down Flintstones style by holding onto the door is a close second if not the winner.

e: fb

I was so excited to see him get ran over, but no dice...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Knowing how some old people are, he probably just floored it and redlined it for a while stressing something already on the fritz. poo poo cascaded from that point, and not really sure what I guess the end result is a fireball.
Potentially stupid question, but why don't engines have some sort of thermal protection that shuts them down before they get hot enough to catch on fire or sustain damage? I mean clearly there's a temp sensor since an overheat light comes on, why doesn't it just shut off?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Alereon posted:

Potentially stupid question, but why don't engines have some sort of thermal protection that shuts them down before they get hot enough to catch on fire or sustain damage? I mean clearly there's a temp sensor since an overheat light comes on, why doesn't it just shut off?

Probably safety related. What if the sensor goes bad middle of rush hour traffic and it kills the engine and you die in a crash? There is supposed to be some element of user input when it comes to error messages and warnings. Smoke and fire from the front of your car should have been a clue to pull it on over. That and maybe don't redline the drat thing ;)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alereon posted:

My guess is it wasn't the engine itself that overheated, it was something close to the engine that overheated due to lack of airflow and revving the piss out of it for an hour.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dietcokefiend posted:

Is that the same street as the other video?

I couldn't believe the people who jumped out of their cars... brilliant, let's leave the one environment that's designed to protect you in case of collision and instead jump onto the roadway while there are other cars sliding out of control around you. Great idea.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Also why do people think that they need to use more power when their tires lose grip? What you want to do is shift to a higher gear and use less revs, that limits the torque that's sent to the wheels and reduces the chance of spin. Of course I grew up in a place that has proper winters every year, maybe that's why I know that...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

el topo posted:

Also why do people think that they need to use more power when their tires lose grip? What you want to do is shift to a higher gear and use less revs, that limits the torque that's sent to the wheels and reduces the chance of spin. Of course I grew up in a place that has proper winters every year, maybe that's why I know that...
We have bone-chilling semi-lethal winters every year and everyone still does the "CAR NOT GO? ADD MORE GAS" method of winter driving.

As for "gears," I had a lot of conversations with people around the time that Toyotas were trying to kill their unfortunate drivers during which it was revealed most of them had no idea what the "N" on their automatic transmission selector stood for. The concept of gearing and trading torque for speed is probably a subject that is beyond most drivers' education here.

If I had a nickel for every time I drive down a nice snowy road, brake gently for an intersection and then hit a slick of ice 3 inches from the crosswalk from some retard burning out the 15 year old all seasons on their loving Caravan I'd be rich enough to live somewhere better.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 11, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

Actual fire coming out of the rubber or smoke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1nEO3XcrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqFsi1KAV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOR5btU8uWU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

I've overheated a car to the point that it died. Gave it a few minutes to cool down, then started right up.

Once I found a parking spot I popped the hood and found that I'd forgotten to plug in the electric fan. Whoops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Alereon posted:

apparently honda had this hard wired into their bikes in the 70's

ride it till it overheats, engine seizes and stalls out.

wait till it cools off and it starts right back up again like nothing ever happened. :haw:

Some diesel engines have something along these lines. It blocks the intake so no air gets into the motor and prevents this from happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4fxjKnuI4Y

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Am I a bad person for wishing the car completely went up? :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

"first start after a year long rebuild"

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible thing to wish upon a Defender.
Now if it had been a VW or some douchecanoe with a smoke mapped cummings then I'd have wished the same thing.

edit: owait i misread. *ahem*
what I really meant was I haven't prayed for something so hard in my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 12, 2011

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

I wonder how much those fires were affected by the fact that there were surely steel belts scrubbing against the asphalt

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

slidebite posted:

Here I was hoping for the same thing. I like how quickly this video went from, hey dudes awesome idea, to holy poo poo we are so hosed.

:hfive: "Man this is an awesome idea, this massive block of concrete will make for the bestest burnout evers"

:wth: "Oh poo poo were on fire, floor it and get away."

:supaburn: "gently caress we tied ourselves to a huge block of concrete, no escape"

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"first start after a year long rebuild"

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible thing to wish upon a Defender.
Now if it had been a VW or some douchecanoe with a smoke mapped cummings then I'd have wished the same thing.

I'm sorry but I dropped my cigarette from laughing so hard.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

el topo posted:

Also why do people think that they need to use more power when their tires lose grip?
Before buying a car people should have to study kinetic and static friction. When there is no relative motion between two objects there is static friction. Static friction rises to meet force until it hits its max value (weight*grav*μs) then it drops incredibly fast and flat-lines at its kinetic friction (weight*grav*μk).

Rubber on concrete has roughly a 1.0μs and a 0.8μk whereas rubber on ice is closer to 0.15μk (can't find decent rubber-ice μs values.) The drop off for a slipping tire on ice is massive compared to concrete.

E: whoops, physics rant, here is some failure

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 12, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's hilariously mind-blowing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What the, I don't even.... :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wait. The building... fell... over?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What the, I don't even.... :psyduck:

Its from like a year ago, built on sandy soil, monsoon season came, and it tipped over. Pilings were too short.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So I see. I Tineye'd one of th pics and turned up a Russian site that has an awesome translation via Google: http://tinyurl.com/4encfp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

It's gotta suck to be someone living in one of the neighbouring buildings.