Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!

Drunkboxer posted:

Does Cowherd believe any of the things he says? This is a honest question as I can't tell if he's loving with me, trying to make people mad, or if he actually thinks he's right.

He is the sports equivalent of Glenn Beck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

unhwillneverwin posted:

He is the sports equivalent of Glenn Beck.

He surpasses him. Cowherd can get me angry in like 30 seconds. There isn't even a period of amusement that sometimes accompanies listening to someone you think is an idiot. His face is so drat punchable too.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!

Drunkboxer posted:

He surpasses him. Cowherd can get me angry in like 30 seconds. There isn't even a period of amusement that sometimes accompanies listening to someone you think is an idiot. His face is so drat punchable too.

Who is more punchable? That is tough to tell.

This?

Or this?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
http://deadspin.com/5715741/this-may-or-may-not-be-rex-ryans-wife-making-foot+fetish-videos

So this is interesting to say the least... and it looks exactly like her to a T and sure as poo poo sounds like Sexy Rexy.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I was just scouring the internet for "Jeff Bagwell steroids" stories and this was the first thing that came up

http://baseballevolution.com/asher/bagwellconspiracy.html

quote:

At the beginning of the 2004 season, a buddy and I engaged in a debate about whether Jeff Bagwell used steroids. While initially not convinced that Bagwell used steroids, circumstantial evidence points not only to the conclusion that Bagwell used steroids, but also to the conclusion that he stands at the center of the baseball world as the steroid ring leader, the root of all steroid usage in the league. In fact, all major league steroid use can be traced directly to the Houston Astros first baseman.

Unbeknownst to the general baseball public, steroid use began in earnest with the 1992 Astros. Up to that point in his career, Bagwell had not yet developed his power-stoke, and in 1992 he set out to do something about it. Bagwell began pumping iron maniacally, and juicing up, and the difference quickly became evident. Bagwell's teammates were immediately impressed with his increase in size and production and demanded that he share the wealth.

I think he's joking, but I want to believe this is real

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I'm sure you just couldn't be bothered to read through this but

quote:

Mark McGwire (the only untainted player in this whole controversy)

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it was written in 2004!~

yeah no i got through like 5 paragraphs

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
:havlat: GOOD JOURNALISM TIME! :havlat:

I love lovely journalism as much as the next, but let's try and bring out some of the better pieces as well. Cultivating the minds of young goons with brilliant writing is just as important as infecting their minds with bad. :science:

"Got To Do Some Coachin'": Frank Deford's Sports Illustrated piece on Arkansas Razorbacks head coach Nolan Richardson, now with the WNBA's Tulsa Shock (accompanying cast list)

"Never Has Being a Sports Fan Felt So Stupid": Will Leitch's commentary piece on The Decision (published on New York Magazine's web page)

"The No-Stats All-Star": Michael Lewis' New York Times piece on the statistical revolution of the NBA and -- at the center of the storm -- Houston Rockets forward Shane Battier

"She's The One": Patrick Hruby's ESPN.com story on Natalie Randolph, the head coach of a Washington, D.C.-area high school football team and a former women's professional football player.

:eng101:

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

"The No-Stats All-Star": Michael Lewis' New York Times piece on the statistical revolution of the NBA and -- at the center of the storm -- Houston Rockets forward Shane Battier

This article is the reason I watch basketball now. It's really a shame that the Yao thing has killed Houston over the last few years, because they're a really solid team beyond that one glaring hole.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's a recent piece I liked: The Social Network - Joe Posnanski - Posnanski takes on social media and self-promotion through the lens of Jose Canseco.

Joe Pos posted:

The pretenders often have jumpy feet. The man’s feet are still, his legs are still. It is his hips that he moves to shift weight — first back into the ready position and then, suddenly and violently, forward. Hitters and their coaches talk about weight shift. Jose Canseco shifts his weight without any apparent effort. This is the result of swinging a baseball bat a million times. The swing is a part of him.

You might even say the swing is him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I got a subscription to SI as a gift, but I can't really stand the magazine since their editors ignore or possibly even encourage awful tortured over-written crap in all of their features in an attempt to gussy them up. Here's one cringe-inducing example from the recent article on Roddy White by Ben Reiter:

quote:

White called the move the Shanaz. It's pronounced like Lamaze, and White's opponent, his much larger opponent, was left breathing like a mother in labor after White used it to win his second consecutive state title. It's not pronounced like amaze, although that's what White did to the thousands in attendance at the Carolina Coliseum in Columbia that February day.

Even worse is when there's some pointless tortured metaphor that carries throughout the whole feature.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Yeah, they do that sometimes, just stick to the best writers. Usually Grant Wahl, Albert Chen, Gary Smith and a couple others.

e: worst one I ever saw was on Mark Buerhle's perfect game, when the writer used Rock Star energy drink as bookends for the story. It went something like this: "He picked up a Rock Star energy drink before the game, just as he had done every other game ... [some 1500 words later] ... but it was HE who was the Rock Star on that fateful day."

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 29, 2010

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I got a subscription to SI as a gift, but I can't really stand the magazine since their editors ignore or possibly even encourage awful tortured over-written crap in all of their features in an attempt to gussy them up. Here's one cringe-inducing example from the recent article on Roddy White by Ben Reiter:

Even worse is when there's some pointless tortured metaphor that carries throughout the whole feature.
Those portentous and tortured introductions always get about 100x better if you imagine them being said in Ridley's voice from the intro to "The Right Stuff."

There was a demon that lived on the field. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their control would freeze up. Their delivery would buffet wildly, and it would disintegrate. The demon lived at #1 on the all-time list, seven hundred and sixty-two career home runs, where the ball could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a zone through which they said no strike could ever pass. They called him Barry Bonds.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I poo poo on Deadspin earlier in the thread, but I've been enjoying their guest columns by former NFL player Nate Jackson.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Primo Poster!!!! posted:

Those portentous and tortured introductions always get about 100x better if you imagine them being said in Ridley's voice from the intro to "The Right Stuff."

There was a demon that lived on the field. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their control would freeze up. Their delivery would buffet wildly, and it would disintegrate. The demon lived at #1 on the all-time list, seven hundred and sixty-two career home runs, where the ball could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a zone through which they said no strike could ever pass. They called him Barry Bonds.
I totally shoulda added this at the time:

Then they built a small man, a DA, who said he could break Barry Bonds. And sportswriters came to the high-desert of California to write it. They were called assholes. And no one remembered their names.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's threads like these that make me glad to have discovered Instapaper. :unsmith:

Contribution-wise, the late David Foster Wallace's 2006 feature on Roger Federer holds stock for any number of talented sports people and how they've mastered the human body: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This falls more on the editors than the writer, but good lord is the illustration paired with the latest Simmons column atrocious:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Well, at least the art's better than the sports guy cartoon they used to have on Page 2.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

This falls more on the editors than the writer, but good lord is the illustration paired with the latest Simmons column atrocious:

What's better is that they probably paid someone decent money to do two utterly awful caricatures.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Crazy Ted posted:

What's better is that they probably paid someone decent money to do two utterly awful caricatures.

The first one is at least somewhat recognizable as Peyton Manning. The one on the right, though? I thought it was a Dolphins uniform until I looked again and realized it was supposed to be Tom Brady.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My roommate had lunch with Jemele Hill today, who sucks, but she said that Skip Bayless is not acting and legitimately believes everything he says.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why is such a man alive

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, Onion SportsDome is premiering tonight on Comedy Central at 10:30PM eastern time. God knows that sports journalism is ripe for (and very much deserving of) some clever satire, and given that the Onion sports articles and blurbs tend to be fairly amusing, I'm actually optimistic that this could be good.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The little trailers they've shown for it haven't actually looked that promising, but the actual sports section is so consistently brilliant that I'll give it a shot

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

kaworu posted:

So, Onion SportsDome is premiering tonight on Comedy Central at 10:30PM eastern time. God knows that sports journalism is ripe for (and very much deserving of) some clever satire, and given that the Onion sports articles and blurbs tend to be fairly amusing, I'm actually optimistic that this could be good.

Set it up for DVR in case I'm not back from the game in time. Please be good.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The show is taped a week ahead of time (or it was planned to, I am not sure if they've changed that) which I think is a big drawback.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

The show is taped a week ahead of time (or it was planned to, I am not sure if they've changed that) which I think is a big drawback.

A friend of mine who works at the AV Club told me they'd already filmed the entire season, so I wouldn't expect anything topical. I could have misinterpreted what she was saying, though.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

morestuff posted:

A friend of mine who works at the AV Club told me they'd already filmed the entire season, so I wouldn't expect anything topical. I could have misinterpreted what she was saying, though.

I don't think they've filmed the whole season, but I could find out. Either way, it's not going to be the TDS of Sports or anything.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Watching sportsdome right now...I deem it "moderately amusing."

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Here are some writer opinions on Brett Favre's punishment from the new ESPNw -- ESPN for women!!!!

Sarah Spain posted:

The bottom line is this: If Brett Favre truly harassed Jenn Sterger and his advances were unwanted and unreciprocated, then a measly $50,000 fine doesn't cut it. Only Favre and Sterger know what really happened, but I'd bet the situation wasn't nearly as one-sided as she purports it to be. I just don't see how Favre could ask her out, get denied and decide the next logical step would be to text her the contents of his Wranglers. There's a disconnect there and I'd imagine some gaps in the findings resulted in the ruling of insufficient evidence. Whatever the league decided -- fine, suspension, no discipline whatsoever -- it should have acted on it a long time ago. Waiting until the Vikings' last game of the year, when Favre's retirement presser has been all but scheduled, reveals an unfair and inappropriate bias to ol' No. 4 and sets a dangerous precedent for future cases.

Melissa Jacobs posted:

Shame on you, websites that make your predatory living by floating out "scandals" such as this (and last week's Rex Ryan foot fetish) that don't get ignored after a day or filtered out simply because a big name is attached. An athlete hits on a woman the Jets opt to trot around in essentially a bra and he notices. Big frickin' deal. If the so-called sleazy perv was named Joe Webb no one would care. Just another victimless "crime" blown out of proportion. Well, victimless, except for Deanna Favre.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zakharov posted:

I thought it was good but the A-Rod musical was a really weird bungling of a potentially great premise.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it was great except for the A-Rod part. It felt like a joke from 2004.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

stuart scott irl posted:

Here are some writer opinions on Brett Favre's punishment from the new ESPNw -- ESPN for women!!!!

but you see since women are saying this then clearly Brett Favre's texting pictures of his hog was both warranted and victimless. CASE CLOSED.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well you see this one time I saw women, ahem, "getting crunk" in a "nightclub" to some wildly inappropriate "hip hop." The lyrics repeatedly mentioned "bitch" and "ho," and the women loved it, so therefore all women love being degraded.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

zakharov posted:

I was hoping they'd do something topical and was pretty disappointed. I guess the a-rod musical was at the end? I turned it off before the end.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
More heavy hitting journalism from espnW (originally posted by Crazy Ted in the MLS thread).

quote:

IS THE UNION'S NEW SPONSORSHIP DEAL SEXIST?

Jan 11, 05:17PM ET | By Amanda Rykoff

Amanda Rykoff (aka The OCD Chick) is a NYC-based sports fan, Yankees devotee and TiVo junkie. She is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, a recovering attorney and previous host of the ESPN podcast "Play Ball!"

If you don't follow Major League Soccer, you might not have heard of the Philadelphia Union, the second year MLS team. More of you have probably never heard of Grupo Bimbo, a large Mexican bakery company that distributes many popular bread and baked goods in the United States, including Arnold, Oroweat, Thomas', Entenmann's, Stroehmann, Freihofer's and Boboli. That's about to change, as the Philadelphia Union announced today a four-year partnership to put "Bimbo" on the front of the team's jersey and on all Union team apparel.

This would seem to be great news for the second year team. An affiliation with a large international company with ties to soccer (Bimbo sponsors three Mexican soccer teams and a Costa Rican professional soccer team) and an influx of much-needed revenue ($12 million over the four-year deal). But not so fast. The Union's loyal fan base is already up in arms over the new sponsorship deal, which puts "BIMBO" in prominent all-capital letters across the chest of the official team jersey. For the record, it's pronounced "Beembo."

Within hours of the announcement, fans posted angry comments on the Philadelphia Union's Facebook page and photo albums. They do not like the jerseys, they do not like the name "BIMBO," and, most notably, many of the team's female fans who commented said they feel the team is alienating them with this name choice. At least one man said he wouldn't bring his girls' soccer team to a game now that the jerseys have "BIMBO" on them.

When I first heard about this via Twitter, I thought it was an unfortunate name but didn't think it would be taken so seriously. What do you think? Is this just a whole lot of overreaction over nothing, or did the Union alienate its female fan base with the Bimbo sponsorship deal?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bimbo makes good bread.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

I am breaking from the herd here, but I do believe that they should have made a decision far earlier on Brett Favre than they did. Plus the punishment doesn't jive with the findings. The crime was... nothing? No conclusive evidence or however it was worded. FINE OF 50 GRAND! It's probably a worse outcome than not punishing him at all. At least they would be consistent between ruling and outcome.

The editorializing about LOL SHOW HER YOUR DONG is dumb but I do feel like if the league could have completely covered it up they would have.

e: Philly fans are dumb, water still wet. :(

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 12, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

More heavy hitting journalism from espnW (originally posted by Crazy Ted in the MLS thread).

It sounds like she has an understandable perspective and is just reporting on some fans' reaction to the sponsorship news. I don't see the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

morestuff posted:

It sounds like she has an understandable perspective and is just reporting on some fans' reaction to the sponsorship news. I don't see the problem.

It's just dumb and not news. People from Philadelphiatwitter by in large are very stupid, check out the trending topics for confirmation. If espnW is trying to legitimize itself, posting articles about how a bread company's name may or may not be sexist is not the way to do it.