Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Rrail posted:

I just installed WordPress to my site, and had the site up finally and was doing some editing. I changed the URL thinking "welp, it's an option here, it must not be a big deal". I just took my domain name (lets say http://www.domain.com) and edited it to http://www.domain.com/blog. As soon as I hit "Save Changes" it broke the site, and now I can't get back to the admin pages so that I may switch it back.

This may be too obvious, but it needs to be asked up front: have you tried accessing your site by going to either http://www.domain.com/wp-admin or http://www.domain.com/blog/wp-admin ? When you do that, what happens?

Do you have FTP access to your site?

When you changed the URL did you change the "WordPress address" or the "Site address" in the general settings... or both?

cocteau fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You can hardcode it in wp-config.php for the time being in order to get back in and make changes. You can also modify the values in the database in the wp_options table.

Usually you need to change two values in order for it to work properly.

Check out this link - http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php

WordPress URL and Site URL are the sections you want to look at.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there anyway to get a Like/Addthis/Sharethis what have you plugin to work with NextGenGallery so that the share button will like the individual image and not the page itself?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Does anyone know how to remove statistics for a specific month? I had my wordpress site set up as a test environment for 3 months before I migrated my blog to this server. So the first three months of my stats are completely irrelevant but they are still showing up infront of my month graph.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009
How can I list pages to produce lists like this:

[Home]

- Home
- Services
- Contact

[Home > Services]

- Home
- Services
-- Smirking
-- Blumpking
-- Popping
- Contact

[Home > Services > Smirking]

- Home
- Services
-- Smirking
--- Brown Smirks
--- Red Smirks
--- Green Smirks
-- Blumpking
-- Popping
- Contact

[Home > Contact]

- Home
- Services
- Contact
-- Destination
-- Skype call

Without resorting to display: none;? And what is the best plug-in or method to get faceted search? like:

Red (17)
Green (70)

Dog (7)
Cat (14)
Hamster (67)

Free (1)
1$ or up (16)

Where you can add filters by selecting for example "Red" you get:

Filter: Red

Dog (1)
Cat (3)
Hamster (14)

Free (1)
1$ or up (16)

pixelpusherbot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 8, 2011

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
What is a reasonable score in Yslow or PageSpeed for a wordpress based site? I'm using a template that utilizes a good bit of javascript, but I don't know js and I'm not sure I could successfully combine files. I have been able to use wp minify on all but three of the js files successfully.

Just wondering what score I should be shooting for as I fix these issues.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

pixelpusherbot posted:

How can I list pages to produce lists like this:

There is a plugin that I believe is called Fold Page List that does exactly this.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009

Twiin posted:

There is a plugin that I believe is called Fold Page List that does exactly this.
I love you! I saw the plug-in, but figured since it hadn't been updated for 3 years, maybe it wouldn't work. I was burned bad once before with an outdated plug-in, but this works like a charm.

Now for faceted search I might have to hack something together myself. I am looking at Wordpress Pods for answers.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

GEMorris posted:

What is a reasonable score in Yslow or PageSpeed for a wordpress based site? I'm using a template that utilizes a good bit of javascript, but I don't know js and I'm not sure I could successfully combine files. I have been able to use wp minify on all but three of the js files successfully.

Just wondering what score I should be shooting for as I fix these issues.

Try a plugin called head cleaner or w3c total cache. Also do what you can to make your JS load at the bottom of the page.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ned posted:

Try a plugin called head cleaner or w3c total cache. Also do what you can to make your JS load at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, right now I am using WP Super Cache and WP Minify. Would either of your suggestions eliminate the need for either of these plugins that I am currently using?

So far I have been able to use wp minify to combine/minify all but four scripts: jquery (which i changed to google's ajax libraries) galleria.noconflict, and galleria. I can't find what code is actually calling these three scripts, as they aren't/weren't in header.php . If I don't add them to my exclude list in wp-minify though, things break.

The fourth script is contact form 7 which is calling its script on every page. Is there any way I can change it so that script is only called if someone goes to my contact pages? The images from the galleria that my theme uses are also loaded on the homepage, even though they aren't used there, is there anything I can do about that?

The site is https://www.oslopress.com if you have a second to take a look I would appreciate any pointers about obvious noob mistakes that I am making. I really need to learn more about php and js so that I can troubleshoot this stuff and hopefully be able to consolidate and clean up what must be a good bit of duplicate or unnecessary code.

EDIT: Ok it looks to me like W3 Total Cache replaces both WP Minify and WP Super Cache. is head cleaner even necessary with W3 Total Cache? I'm reading more about it, but I like the idea of having the functions of several different plugins all wrapped into one well written plugin. Like when Yoast WordPress SEO combined the functions of at least four different plugins I had.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

GEMorris posted:

Thanks, right now I am using WP Super Cache and WP Minify. Would either of your suggestions eliminate the need for either of these plugins that I am currently using?

W3 Total Cache will do the job of both of those.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Are you guys familiar with the Genesis Framework for WordPress? Any thoughts? I want to redesign my web site and that seems like a very powerful platform.

http://www.studiopress.com/themes/genesis

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Are you guys familiar with the Genesis Framework for WordPress? Any thoughts? I want to redesign my web site and that seems like a very powerful platform.

http://www.studiopress.com/themes/genesis

Genesis is GREAT. Solid code, great support. It came extremely highly recommended and I just purchased it and like it a lot.

Keep in mind that the child themes are developed by different people, so some have more admin options (like Prose) than others.

Also I saw this morning that Matt Mullenweg is now endorsing it on their site, so you know it's gotta be good.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Is a self-hosted subdomain CDN something I should be bothering with? I can't seem to get my load times below 2.5s on average despite caching etc.

At what level of pageviews/day should a CDN come into play?

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
EDIT: I added this question to WordPress Questions if anyone wants to make an easy :10bux: :)

I'm wanting to create an aggregator website in ExpressionEngine, but since I can't afford a license right now I thought it'd be a good time to try Wordpress (FOR THE FIRST TIME :aaa:).

Only problem is I have no idea how I would recreate it in Wordpress. It's a fairly simple publishing workflow and I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction using the mockup below:

Click here for the full 996x813 image.

Publishing Workflow:

1. Publish new Tutorial
2. Enter the title, eg "ExpressionEngine Relationships and Related Entries"
3. Write a brief summary for the tutorial
4. Enter the Tutorial URL into custom field.
5. Choose an author from a drop-down list, if not there, create one.
6. Choose the source website from a drop-down list, if not there, create one.

• The title (which is linked to the tutorial URL) and summary text are displayed on the homepage.
• The Author field brings in the name, homepage and picture of the author.
• The website field brings in the source website name, favicon and URL.

This is fairly easy with ExpressionEngine's channel philosophy but unless there is a plugin for Wordpress, it looks like I'm going to be retyping a lot of the same data which might clog things up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've always admired Wordpress for being free and open-source but at the same time dismissed it for being just a blogging platform.

micropenis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2011

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I would like to make a page that lists podcasts, I.E. their titles, time, date posted etc. in a center column. Just like the blog "loop" in other words.

However, when one clicks one of those entries, I would like the "content" of the podcast's post (which will be the episode's description) to load in an existing spot on the page rather than having it load a single post page. This could be a spot on the sidebar, or a div that is part of the main page. Idealy a player for that podcast entry should be included in this as well.

Does that make sense? Is that something possible with the basic wordpress engine? If so I can muddle it out with a minimum of handholding once I know the general area to look. If it's down the jQuery rabbit hole, then I'll probably have to rethink my design.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

micropenis posted:

• The title (which is linked to the tutorial URL) and summary text are displayed on the homepage.
• The Author field brings in the name, homepage and picture of the author.
• The website field brings in the source website name, favicon and URL.

This is fairly easy with ExpressionEngine's channel philosophy but unless there is a plugin for Wordpress, it looks like I'm going to be retyping a lot of the same data which might clog things up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've always admired Wordpress for being free and open-source but at the same time dismissed it for being just a blogging platform.

How about a plugin like this? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-field-template/

There are many plugins for managing custom fields. I think the only difficult thing is the favicon/website name stuff which you might need to manage with a custom post type or build a spider to go out and grab that stuff and insert it as a custom post type.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

CaptainCrunch posted:

I would like to make a page that lists podcasts, I.E. their titles, time, date posted etc. in a center column. Just like the blog "loop" in other words.

However, when one clicks one of those entries, I would like the "content" of the podcast's post (which will be the episode's description) to load in an existing spot on the page rather than having it load a single post page. This could be a spot on the sidebar, or a div that is part of the main page. Idealy a player for that podcast entry should be included in this as well.

Does that make sense? Is that something possible with the basic wordpress engine? If so I can muddle it out with a minimum of handholding once I know the general area to look. If it's down the jQuery rabbit hole, then I'll probably have to rethink my design.

If you put them in a different category then you can loop through that category with a different query. You'll need to have some javascript in order to make it play in a sidebar or an overlay but jQuery is easy. You can make it load an iframe somewhere or just do an ajax request to the single page template that the category for podcasts uses which would be modified to spit out exactly what you need to have the podcast load in the specific area.

It's not very hard to do things properly.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind, I got it figured out.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 12, 2011

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ned posted:

If you put them in a different category then you can loop through that category with a different query. You'll need to have some javascript in order to make it play in a sidebar or an overlay but jQuery is easy. You can make it load an iframe somewhere or just do an ajax request to the single page template that the category for podcasts uses which would be modified to spit out exactly what you need to have the podcast load in the specific area.

It's not very hard to do things properly.

Thank you very much! Gives me the ammo to google what I'll need to learn. Sometimes the biggest obstacle I run into is not knowing exactly how to ask the question.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Is there a plugin that can pull Facebook events into a widget? My GoogleFu has failed me.

There's an API to make your own that Facebook offers but if I can avoid going to that trouble that would be awesome, I'm not the best with PHP.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
I'm looking for a theme in a grid style, where each block has custom content, I've looked forever but can't seem to find anything. An example of what I'm looking for in a theme is here. Would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, all the themes I've found from googling are all outdated :(

Edit - If not a theme, then is there a plugin that lets me create as many content blocks as i want and put them where I want? I'd like them to be the main body of my home page.

Thanks in advance.

Blaminator fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 14, 2011

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Lareous posted:

Is there a plugin that can pull Facebook events into a widget? My GoogleFu has failed me.

There's an API to make your own that Facebook offers but if I can avoid going to that trouble that would be awesome, I'm not the best with PHP.

I think it's called Facebook Connect, but there's one that will pull your FB posts into a widget and does other FB integration. It's kind of a pain to set up but it does work.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Blaminator posted:

I'm looking for a theme in a grid style, where each block has custom content, I've looked forever but can't seem to find anything. An example of what I'm looking for in a theme is here. Would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, all the themes I've found from googling are all outdated :(

Edit - If not a theme, then is there a plugin that lets me create as many content blocks as i want and put them where I want? I'd like them to be the main body of my home page.

Thanks in advance.

The same theme I used as a base for my website. Novocane which is on Themeforest. You want the magazine homepage (it comes with several homepage options) and you will obviously need to do some CSS editing to get it where you want it to be.

http://themeforest.net/item/novocane-premium-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/99742

There are probably better matches, but that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the link you posted.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"

GEMorris posted:

The same theme I used as a base for my website. Novocane which is on Themeforest. You want the magazine homepage (it comes with several homepage options) and you will obviously need to do some CSS editing to get it where you want it to be.

http://themeforest.net/item/novocane-premium-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/99742

There are probably better matches, but that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the link you posted.

Nice! That's definitely the closest I've come to finding something that I want, some editing and I should be well on my way to my end result, thanks a lot.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Blaminator posted:

Nice! That's definitely the closest I've come to finding something that I want, some editing and I should be well on my way to my end result, thanks a lot.

Make sure you take the meta description code out of header.php and then use Yoast's Wordpress SEO.

Other than that boneheaded code, everything else works pretty good, but it does suffer from some code bloat due to there being so many options that can be set from the wordpress dashboard. Its relatively easy to cull those out over time if it concerns you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yoast published an awesome infographic last week and I thought it might be helpful for any beginners here:

http://yoast.com/wordpress-theme-anatomy/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+joostdevalk+(Yoast.com)

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 17, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have some plugins that I've heavily modded, how do I tag a plugin to remove update notices?

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

revmoo posted:

I have some plugins that I've heavily modded, how do I tag a plugin to remove update notices?

Change its name (in its main php file)

I found that one of my plugins (not published) has started sharing a name with another (published) plugin; I get update notices for the published version.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind: Figured it out again!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 17, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

KuruMonkey posted:

Change its name (in its main php file)

I found that one of my plugins (not published) has started sharing a name with another (published) plugin; I get update notices for the published version.

Did that and it didn't work. It's even showing up in plugins as the new name. Do you also need to change the name of the directory?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm using a theme that has a list of categories going across a bar right under the header image. Since my blog has only one category, I'd like to change this to a list of the top 10 or so most used tags.

How would I go about this? Any plugins to do this?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

revmoo posted:

Did that and it didn't work. It's even showing up in plugins as the new name. Do you also need to change the name of the directory?

Does the main file have a link to the repository? You might want to remove that as well.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone here released a plugin? I have something that currently does the basic functionality. Is it worth releasing in its "infant" form, or should I just keep waiting? This will be free of course.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Doh004 posted:

Anyone here released a plugin? I have something that currently does the basic functionality. Is it worth releasing in its "infant" form, or should I just keep waiting? This will be free of course.

The world would be a much better place if people waited to release plugins until they were tested and confirmed to be solid and compatible with the most recent version of WordPress. Given that the new version (WP 3.1) is due out any day, it would be great if you would hold off until you can at least confirm your plugin works with that version.

Can you tell I'm a cranky plugin user that hates broken plugins (of which there are far too many)?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

cocteau posted:

The world would be a much better place if people waited to release plugins until they were tested and confirmed to be solid and compatible with the most recent version of WordPress. Given that the new version (WP 3.1) is due out any day, it would be great if you would hold off until you can at least confirm your plugin works with that version.

Can you tell I'm a cranky plugin user that hates broken plugins (of which there are far too many)?

Very understandable as I'm a user myself. Good idea on waiting for 3.1, fortunately I'm not even close to being ready, just curious.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
There's a 3.1 beta for this reason. If you want to be a good developer, your plugin should be compatibility tested BEFORE the release.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've always used WP sites that were installed as part of hosting plan.

1. Hit "Install."
2. Blog created.

Now I've got a client's blog that's just a free one created at wordpress.com, and what's the deal here, can I not upload a theme with the free version? Because goddamn is that gonna ruin my day.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

jackpot posted:

I've always used WP sites that were installed as part of hosting plan.

1. Hit "Install."
2. Blog created.

Now I've got a client's blog that's just a free one created at wordpress.com, and what's the deal here, can I not upload a theme with the free version? Because goddamn is that gonna ruin my day.

You can only use the themes available in the wordpress.com themes directory, and are severely limited as to plugin options. Oh and you can't change your CSS unless you upgrade.

Unless you want a basic and free blog (or something for a short lifespan, like an event or sale) it's usually better to go with a self-hosted wordpress site. Well, not entirely true - wordpress.com does have some good themes available - but I personally hate the limitations.

cocteau fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to add WP to a client's site, and godaddy is bitching because her site's on a Windows plan and it doesn't have IIS7. But her entire site is this flash thing generated through wix.com, and I'm afraid to make any big changes; I don't want to upgrade to IIS7 (or migrate to Linux) and get WP working, only to find out I've killed the rest of her site. I'm waiting to hear back from the Wix folks about this. Thanks!