Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

DrDork posted:

that HDMI has some audio lines running with it

Offtopic, I know, but HDMI doesn't have "audio lines". HDMI just adds audio to the DVI protocol by engaging in bit-stuffing in the blanking interval. This just extends the protocol, there are no physical changes to the data lines themselves. (This is why if you connect an HDMI->DVI adapter to a DVI->HDMI adapter between two HDMI devices, you'll still get sound.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
I got my U3011 in today (sale for $1000 tipped my hand) and holy poo poo is it one, huge; two, amazing. Having so much screen real-estate is like living in a mansion for my desktop.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Can you actually go DP -> HDMI -> DVI with one of these HDMI to DVI adaptors you get with video cards which are meant to go the other way?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

Can you actually go DP -> HDMI -> DVI with one of these HDMI to DVI adaptors you get with video cards which are meant to go the other way?
HDMI <-> DVI is easy, and the adapters are bi-directional, since they really do nothing other than line up pins. So yes, as long as the male/female bits match up.

VTS
Dec 20, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks for the u2311h reccomendation. Just bought one. I'm loving having extra screen real estate, and the usb2 hub came in handy. now to find a cheap displayport cable in the uk....

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

So yes, as long as the male/female bits match up.

*snicker*

Someone should setup a referral link from SA to Dell, so many U2311Hs have been goon-purchased. We'll be rich I tell you, rich!

ampersandy
Jan 22, 2005
SEVEN why
Supposedly Dell coupon code C70B$G36TSVVCH will give you 10% off through 1/31/11. I was able to combine it with a $40 off discount on their EPP (.edu) site to make the U2311H about $250+tax.

The coupon isn't working now, so I guess I'll have to try again later.

What is the best price people are getting on these?

Even without the discounts, this is a nice price compared to the ~$400 I paid for my Samsung 900IFT 19" CRT about 10 years ago. Just lugged it down to the apartment basement over the weekend. Maybe someone will take it!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I endorse the NEC EA231WMi. I own one and a Dell U2311H, and the NEC is light-years better. Review (Not by me): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036050544&postcount=670

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
So is it safe to use a lens wipe on an LCD monitor? It says just not to use it on plasma screens.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Pooperscooper posted:

So is it safe to use a lens wipe on an LCD monitor? It says just not to use it on plasma screens.
Look on the package and see what's in it. If it's just water and some isopropyl alcohol (which it probably is), then it's fine.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just a quick reminder that you can now get active DisplayPort to single-link DVI adapters for <$25 that support up to 1920x1200 displays (this is an MDP->SL-DVI adapter for Radeon HD 6000-series cards). This is a pretty inexpensive way to get triple-head Eyefinity going without having to buy a $100 adapter or DP monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alereon posted:

This is a pretty inexpensive way to get triple-head Eyefinity going without having to buy a $100 adapter or DP monitor.
e; I'm dumb and can't read. Ignore me, please!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 13, 2011

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Nonpython posted:

I endorse the NEC EA231WMi. I own one and a Dell U2311H, and the NEC is light-years better. Review (Not by me): http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036050544&postcount=670

Did you calibrate with a colorimeter? It seems that the reviewer there was mostly going out-of-box.

I'm not asking to attack or anything, I'm just curious about how much of the (seemingly minute) difference between the two is due to slightly different factory settings/profiles.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'm not asking to attack or anything, I'm just curious about how much of the (seemingly minute) difference between the two is due to slightly different factory settings/profiles.
It also seems he got a somewhat iffy U2311H, with higher-than-average backlight bleed issues and whatnot. That is one thing that no one but Dell seems to have: a rock-solid warranty that'll let you return things for virtually any reason. That's not to say that the EA231WMi isn't a good monitor, mind you--it also is quite nice, but I haven't seen any professional review site that puts it much more than on-par with the U2311H, let alone "light years better." Too bad neither of them have more than a single DVI port.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Just got my U2311H in. And it really is amazing how much brighter and clearer it is than my old 2001FP. Obviously expected some difference but not this.

Only thing I don't like is because its a 16:9 screen the height is actually smaller than the 2001FP :|

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Did you calibrate with a colorimeter? It seems that the reviewer there was mostly going out-of-box.

I did. It made the difference worse. The NEC looks "better" than my $1000 24" Apple Cinema Display in terms of "IPS glow" plus it is actually the same colour all the way across.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I need to know if my graphics card will run two 24" monitors. I've got a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 (with dual DVI outputs) in my current build. I already run a 24" over DVI but I'm thinking about getting another one with HDMI support so I can run an xbox 360 into it and game at my desk. Am I gonna run into problems with two 24"s? I'll only PC game on one screen so I won't need extra graphical oomph for that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I need to know if my graphics card will run two 24" monitors. I've got a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 (with dual DVI outputs) in my current build. I already run a 24" over DVI but I'm thinking about getting another one with HDMI support so I can run an xbox 360 into it and game at my desk. Am I gonna run into problems with two 24"s? I'll only PC game on one screen so I won't need extra graphical oomph for that.

2 DVI outputs means you'll be fine with two 1920x1200/1080 monitors, no sweat.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.
Probably going to pull the trigger on the U2311H 23", but wanted to double check some things.

1) Is the best route to just buy through Dell? Any coupon sites I should check? I seem to recall Dell often has deals/sales.

2) I am building a new computer (for gaming) and will most likely be buying a ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 video card. According to the stickied computer parts thread, this card should suffice. Do I need to buy any extra cables? Hook this up with DVI?

Thanks in advance.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Trash Heap posted:

Probably going to pull the trigger on the U2311H 23", but wanted to double check some things.

1) Is the best route to just buy through Dell? Any coupon sites I should check? I seem to recall Dell often has deals/sales.

2) I am building a new computer (for gaming) and will most likely be buying a ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 video card. According to the stickied computer parts thread, this card should suffice. Do I need to buy any extra cables? Hook this up with DVI?

Thanks in advance.
Just follow DealMeIn (Goon run by Dr Eldarion) or SlickDeals or watch in the Coupons forum here.

They recently had a sale on eBay ~$200 for one before tax/recycle fees. The seller was Dell though. They'll probably never sell them at this price point again but if you're not in a rush I'd rather wait for better deals.

This coupon may still work, gives you 10% off which according to them is $251.10
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2553817

Also the U2311H comes with both a DVI and VGA cable which works with that card. That card also has support for DisplayPort, which is the supported high-end plug on the U2311H so if you want that buy a DP cable.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Trash Heap posted:

Thanks in advance.

1) For the billionth time - yes, buy through Dell. Yes, you should google coupons. Yes, they do deals every other week.

2) The monitor comes with a VGA to DVI cable and a DVI to DVI cable.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Got my 2311H yesterday. Appreciate the recommendations, its certainly quite a step up from my CRT i've been using since I was about 12.

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA this particular model though, got some serious backlight bleeding coming in about 2 inches from the lower left. Looking at it from an extreme side angle the whole thing turns purple on the left and orange on the right.

Oh well, I've been dealing with the CRT for 11 years so what's another few days?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I got my U3011 yesterday. It's a beautiful panel, but one thing I've noticed is that the top part of the panel can bend inward slightly (like less than a millimeter) when pushed. I noticed this when I was cleaning it yesterday. Some Googling seems to suggest that this is an intentional design feature to allow for heat expansion. It doesn't seem to affect the color quality or backlight of the display. Have any other U3011 owners seen this?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DrDork posted:

Are you sure? I was under the impression that, due to clock-source issues, you'd still be limited to two monitors, since the card itself can only physically utilize two non-DP outputs at once. It is a nice option for people with the U2311H trying to use it with both a PC and a XBox/PS3, though!
Yeah that issue is why this adapter exists, it's an active adapter that generates the TMDS signal, not just a passive pin adapter. If you're doing 1920x1200@60hz@24bit or less it's a great alternative to getting the $100 adapters which don't have that bandwidth limitation.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Alereon posted:

Yeah that issue is why this adapter exists, it's an active adapter that generates the TMDS signal, not just a passive pin adapter.
You know what. I just re-read the product info on that adapter again, and realized I'd been reading it wrong--I thought it was able to go DVI -> DP, rather than what it actually does, which is DP -> DVI with it's own clock source. I think we're square now. Kinda a limited-use item, though, since it's only useful for people who have a HD5xxx/6xxx card and three or more monitors with no DP inputs, but a nice option for them nonetheless.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I'm looking at the U2311H but the resolution might be too high for me. The Dell 2209WA looks more like something I would be able to use, but it seems to be discontinued. Is there an IPS panel with 1680x1050 resolution anyone would recommend? That resolution seems to be the sweet spot for me with a screen around 20-23 inches, anything higher is too hard to read.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get the U2311H. Nothing is hard to read if you have a modern OS and modern software. It's easy to enlarge the windows typeface/zoom in.

Will you be using Win 7?

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah, I'm using windows 7 on a 1080p TV right now and I increased the DPI. The OS looks okay, but some of the system tray and desktop icons look blocky. I've tried using Chrome and Firefox zoomed at 120% and it's big enough to read, but since everything is zoomed, images don't look quite as good as at 100% zoom. It's not the TV's fault either, I realize a TV does not make an optimal monitor but it's pretty good. It just bothers me that I have to zoom in to be able to read a 32 inch display. On a 23 inch display I would have to zoom in even more. I wish there was a way to get everything to be larger without the drawbacks of having everything look slightly shittier.

Then again, everyone seems to be happy with 1080p monitors. I don't use glasses and I have 20/20 vision. What the hell?

BLOWTAKKKS fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 13, 2011

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Yeah, I'm using windows 7 on a 1080p TV right now and I increased the DPI. The OS looks okay, but some of the system tray and desktop icons look blocky. I've tried using Chrome and Firefox zoomed at 120% and it's big enough to read, but since everything is zoomed, images don't look quite as good as at 100% zoom. It's not the TV's fault either, I realize a TV does not make an optimal monitor but it's pretty good. It just bothers me that I have to zoom in to be able to read a 32 inch display. On a 23 inch display I would have to zoom in even more. I wish there was a way to get everything to be larger without the drawbacks of having everything look slightly shittier.

Then again, everyone seems to be happy with 1080p monitors. I don't use glasses and I have 20/20 vision. What the hell?

How far away are you sitting from the TV? Remember that for normal desktop use you'll only be 2-3 feet away. I've never had any problems reading text on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor at default DPI, and I've got awful eyesight.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Blowtakkks, I am in the exact same position that you are (though a bigger screen size).

I feel like a lot of websites just are not designed with 1080 in mind, most of the time everything needs to be increased in size about 20%-40%. I just deal with zooming in and out often (ctrl + mouse wheel has never been so useful), but wish we could get on a standard.

It makes me wonder how anyone can deal with a resolution higher than 1920 x 1080...

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

How far away are you sitting from the TV? Remember that for normal desktop use you'll only be 2-3 feet away. I've never had any problems reading text on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor at default DPI, and I've got awful eyesight.

My face is about 2 1/2 - 3 feet away from the screen. I guess I could get a foot closer when I get a monitor.

On3moresoul posted:

Blowtakkks, I am in the exact same position that you are (though a bigger screen size).

I feel like a lot of websites just are not designed with 1080 in mind, most of the time everything needs to be increased in size about 20%-40%. I just deal with zooming in and out often (ctrl + mouse wheel has never been so useful), but wish we could get on a standard.

Yeah, having to mess around so much just to get things to be a reasonable size bugs me. I guess I just hate change since before I never had this problem. At least, other than icons, Windows 7's implementation of DPI changing seems to be better than XP's. Too bad using zoom in a browser screws up the images. And then if you just increase text size, the site will not look the way it was intended to.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Wow, just got my U2311H in today with a random FedEx drop-off. This thing is amazing next to my old Samsung 225BW. I'll be keeping both monitors in a dual display but you can definitely tell the difference.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Looking for a cheap monitor that I can hook up with my cheap laptop so I can use it as a ghetto htpc. I've currently got a 13+ year-old tube tv hooked up with an RF adapter, so anything will be a step up.

Newegg's got a deal on this monitor ($30 off with coupon)

Auria EQ266 ($199.99 with free shipping).

I'm assuming that it's fairly POS, but just trying to determine if it's low-end or a total rip-off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should try setting the aspect ratio of their browser window to roughly that of a sheet of paper. It makes things so much easier to read. Maximizing on today's desktop monitors is scrub behavior.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

fleshweasel posted:

Everyone should try setting the aspect ratio of their browser window to roughly that of a sheet of paper. It makes things so much easier to read. Maximizing on today's desktop monitors is scrub behavior.

My U2410 rotates to portrait, I can do both :smug:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

Are you sure it's not your television? You say it's not but televisions usually aren't built with the expectation of being monitors. Even some of the most high quality HDTVs on the market can lack a good DVI connection or not be very good at displaying crisp text because they're more focused on upscaling SD content or whatever. I have a 37" television but when I run my computer through it the text is certainly not as easily readable as it is on my monitor.

Also, remember that even with you increasing the DPI, the fact remains that every pixel on the screen needs to be bigger to fill 32", so by it's very nature the exact same 1080p image will look sharper on a 23" monitor.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
Hey, I need a recommendation for a monitor for use at work/lab. ~24" would be nice, 1080p nice but not necessary (would be nice b/c then we can also use the monitor to hook up to our microscopes), USB ports would also be awesome, and ~$150-180. I'm looking at this, but it has no USB ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

tokki g posted:

Hey, I need a recommendation for a monitor for use at work/lab. ~24" would be nice, 1080p nice but not necessary (would be nice b/c then we can also use the monitor to hook up to our microscopes), USB ports would also be awesome, and ~$150-180. I'm looking at this, but it has no USB ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Generally speaking nothing in that price range will have a USB hub built in. Dell, for instance, only puts USB hubs on their Ultrasharp line.

Is desk space at a premium? They make cheap USB hubs/card readers. Newegg has a cheap hub that'd probably suffice and its tiny.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399068

quote:

Provides three USB 2.0 ports and multiple memory card reading/writing abilities
Support CF, SD, microSD/T-Flash, miniSD, MS/MS Duo/M2 and other common card types with no additional adapters needed
Up to 32GB high capacity support for SDHC and microSDHC cards
Compact and small form factor design offers great portability
Backward compatible with USB 1.1 specifications

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

tokki g posted:

At that price range, you might want to consider this one instead. It's a newer model of the same line. It comes with a swivel stand and is LED backlit so the contrast will probably be a bit better when it comes to the microscope images.

I doubt you're find one with USB ports, though. At that low of a budget additional ports are one of the first things to get rid of to lower manufacturing costs.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks guys. You're right, I prob won't find one in that price range with USB ports. I did find a 21.5" with USB ports, but no HDMI input. I like the one you linked, I'll ask my boss/PI about getting it. And I'll pick up a USB hub, they're cheap and useful anyways so there's no reason not to get one.
Thanks again for the help.