Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mordekai posted:

So lame

Still, you'd at least be able to say you drank the absolute darkest stout on Earth. No small accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
But as far as I know, Guinness is the oldest stout on earth still in production.

Guinness: Too Old, Too Cold :black101:

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

DethklokworkOrange posted:

Still, you'd at least be able to say you drank the absolute darkest stout on Earth. No small accomplishment.

Yeah, sure. And afterwards you can drink mead and listen to Alestorm. Epicness all around!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Mordekai posted:

Yeah, sure. And afterwards you can drink mead and listen to Alestorm. Epicness all around!

Shut up and have fun, you big baby.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mordekai posted:

Sounds like the perfect night in for the power metal thread.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
What not cookie cutter BM are we looking forward to this year?

I don't know any other than Lifelover.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I guess we will get an album and an EP from Circle of Ouroborus. Which is a good thing.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Fen is supposed to release their second full-length this year I think. Also Falls Of Rauros, which I am excited as hell about because their first (Hail Wind And Hewn Oak) is one of my favorite albums ever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, sweet. I forgot about Falls of Rauros. I think I have heard their demo, but that is it. I didn't realize they had a full length out.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I'm hoping that the new Shining will finally, FINALLY drop.

Niklas Kvarforth posted:

"We have spoken to our producer regarding 'Shining VII' and have come to realize that he is also not to blame for the delay in finishing the album, but rather that it has been caused by a lack of communication between all the parties concerned — these being the label, the producer and ourselves.

"We are happy with the outcome of our discussions, and expect that the album will be fully mixed and mastered by the second week in January, after which time we will hopefully be able to get more information regarding a release date. In the meantime, we would like to thank all the fans for their patience and for all the messages we have been receiving over the past months."
Link

I'm hopeful, but there have been so many hang-ups with this album that I'm wondering if it's going to be the next Duke Nukem. :smith:

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Negative Plane are supposed to release a follow-up to Et In Saecula Saeculorum this year. Other than that there isn't much to look forward to unless Grand Belial's Key manage to write another album.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Cold Day posted:

What not cookie cutter BM are we looking forward to this year?

I don't know any other than Lifelover.

Averse Sefira

Demoncy

Maybe a gently caress tonne of Sorcier Des Glaces material

Maybe Beherit

Could be a pretty righteous year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

m-o-o-n posted:

Negative Plane are supposed to release a follow-up to Et In Saecula Saeculorum this year. Other than that there isn't much to look forward to unless Grand Belial's Key manage to write another album.

Isn't Primordial releasing a new album this year too?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You can probably expect a new Countess album, he seems to write a couple of albums every year and then only releases one of them.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

IRQ posted:

Isn't Primordial releasing a new album this year too?

Are they really black metal though?

And if they are, then Moonsorrow's new album is something to look forward to.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Shut up and have fun, you big baby.

"No fun, no core, no mosh, no trends"

Please don't forget this again.

RHTITE posted:

Maybe Beherit

Let's hope not. Engram was so boring. There wil never be another Beherit album.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kaiho posted:

Are they really black metal though?

And if they are, then Moonsorrow's new album is something to look forward to.

It's kind of hard to say what exactly Primordial is now that pagan metal has come to mean zany folk instruments and vikings or whatever. It seems appropriate to mention them in this thread though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been on a big Cobalt kick recently. Does anyone know of anything similar to Eater of Birds?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I don't know how 'black metal' he is anymore, but everyone's favorite space elf Vintersorg is supposed to release his latest opus this year sometime. It's called 'Jordpuls', and is in Swedish.

:sweden: :hf: :pluto:

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Just a list of recommendations:

Altar of Plagues- Tides
Arckanum- ооооооооооо , Sviga Lц
Der Weg Einer Freiheit- Der Weg Einer Freiheit <---- If you can get over the drum machine, this album kills
Drudkh- Microcosmos
Gorgoroth- Under the Sign of Hell (original recording) Is going to be rerecorded by Infernus and Pest, really loving excited though
The Howling Wind- Into the Cryosphere. Overall I think its very meh, but some of you guys may dig it.
Taake- Nattestid Ser Porten Vid
Unbeing- The Exhalation Tape
Krallice- Self-titled and Dimensional Bleedthrough, and if you dig them you should check out their forebears Weakling
Island- Orakel, they do some black-metalish things, really cool album overall
Mayhem-Chimera
Bongripper- They are doom metal, but the track 'Satan' on Satan Worshipping Doom begins as a black metal track and progresses from there. Album destroys, check it out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

m-o-o-n posted:

Yes, they will be http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/01/world-premiere-negative-plane-angels-of-veiled-bone/

Invictus will have the album in fairly soon.

And yes, there should be new primordial, along with Katharsis, Teitanblood, and I believe Repugnant intend on releasing something. There will also be a new Revenge release... actually, there's going to be plenty to look forward to.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

General Gingersnap posted:

Gorgoroth- Under the Sign of Hell (original recording) Is going to be rerecorded by Infernus and Pest, really loving excited though

WHAT?!

I'm curious to hear it, but I'm expecting it to turn out like Stormblast MMV - interesting update, but the changes to the album will kill what I loved about the original. It'll add few new good ideas, but they'll change classic things that they shouldn't.

I doubt the changes will be as drastic, since they're not replacing synthesizer parts with an orchestra or a more orchestral-sounding synthesizer, but things like the drums in Revelation of Doom and Krieg, and the way Pest's vocal style changes between Blood stains the Circle and The Rite of Infernal Invocation.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
From the Gorgoroth website:

"Gorgoroth will spend the following week in Tomas Asklund's Monolith Studio to put the finishing touches on a project which has been kept secret until now: a complete re-recording of the band's third album "Under the Sign of Hell". It has long been Infernus' wish to do such a re-recording, and now the work is close to an end. No release date has been set yet, but an early to mid 2011 release is likely. In addition, the time in the studio will be spent working on the still untitled next Gorgoroth full-length album, tentatively scheduled for a late 2011 release. Both albums will be released by Regain Records."

I am dying to hear the rerecording of Blood Stains the Circle, there are some killer riffs in there. I am expecting something similar to the production of Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt. yeah, hopefully its not a complete overhaul, but feuheuhfuhueuhufuhuhueuuh still curious

General Gingersnap fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 10, 2011

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That reminds me. Gorgoroth were loving awful live.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
gorgoroth has become increasingly dumpy over the years

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have this problem wherein I want to listen to new Necromantia stuff, but they keep failing to put out a new album. Any suggestions? I know Septicflesh and Rotting Christ get tossed out as the other big names in the Greek scene all the time but the little bit of listening I've given to them didn't catch my interest nearly the same way.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

MrBling posted:

You can probably expect a new Countess album, he seems to write a couple of albums every year and then only releases one of them.

Oh my god, I hope so. I am addicted to Burning Scripture.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Qu Appelle posted:

I don't know how 'black metal' he is anymore, but everyone's favorite space elf Vintersorg is supposed to release his latest opus this year sometime. It's called 'Jordpuls', and is in Swedish.

:sweden: :hf: :pluto:

I wouldn't consider Vintersorg to have ever had a black metal period. His music has had some harsh vocals at times, but that's about it. He's more prog 'viking metal' than anything, really.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Razor posted:

I wouldn't consider Vintersorg to have ever had a black metal period. His music has had some harsh vocals at times, but that's about it. He's more prog 'viking metal' than anything, really.

True, but Vintersorg has played with Otyg and Borknagar and other bands that would fall under this thread, so it makes sense.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Secks posted:

Oh my god, I hope so. I am addicted to Burning Scripture.

One of my to picks of 2010. I also understand that Falkenbach's new album Tiurida is pretty decent for a blackened/folk/viking blend.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Irony.or.Death posted:

I have this problem wherein I want to listen to new Necromantia stuff, but they keep failing to put out a new album. Any suggestions? I know Septicflesh and Rotting Christ get tossed out as the other big names in the Greek scene all the time but the little bit of listening I've given to them didn't catch my interest nearly the same way.

You could try Varathron. His Majesty at the Swamp and Walpurgisnacht are two really good greek black metal records. Nothing really comes close to Necromantia's material though.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I also understand that Falkenbach's new album Tiurida is pretty decent for a blackened/folk/viking blend.

Holy poo poo thank you, had no idea he was coming out with something new, love me some Falkenbach

Irony.or.Death posted:

greek stuff

try Nocternity, Kawir, Zemial

edit: yep, this sure is a falkenbach album... however, much like Wyrd, he can recycle the same riffs for ten years and I don't really care because they're really good

Scrambles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 12, 2011

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
If Gorgoroth re-records any album, I'm going to throw them into the modern Dimmu Borgir pool. Quantos was tolerable but nothing special in my opinion.

I got Hate Forests "Sorrow" album and I really like it. "Fog" was a particularly good song. I'll ask again if anyone can recommend where I go next with them ?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The Most Ancient Ones was always my favorite, haven't listened to it in like 3 years though

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'd have to supremely recommend the Purity album, it's very hypnotic and trance like.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Plasma1010 posted:

If Gorgoroth re-records any album, I'm going to throw them into the modern Dimmu Borgir pool. Quantos was tolerable but nothing special in my opinion.

I got Hate Forests "Sorrow" album and I really like it. "Fog" was a particularly good song. I'll ask again if anyone can recommend where I go next with them ?

Am I alone in really liking Quantos blah blah Satanblah?

I liked it a lot actually. I totally know that "Rebirth" was hilariously lame thematically, but I still like to listen to it. One time I playing some track off it while I was sitting at a stoplight and had someone ask what I was listening to, it can't be complete poo poo right? :unsmith:

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Plasma1010 posted:

I'm in total agreement. Is there ever a good time to re-record an album? I could see a band like Acerbus doing it, mainly because their recordings had unbearable production.

Gorgoroth's early albums on the other hand, are crystal clear in comparison. This idea is stupid.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

IRQ posted:

Am I alone in really liking Quantos blah blah Satanblah?

I liked it a lot actually. I totally know that "Rebirth" was hilariously lame thematically, but I still like to listen to it. One time I playing some track off it while I was sitting at a stoplight and had someone ask what I was listening to, it can't be complete poo poo right? :unsmith:

I thought Quantos was a sick album. Not as good as Ad Majorem Gloriam Sathanas but it was still a kick rear end metal album.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Plasma1010 posted:

Quantos was tolerable but nothing special in my opinion.

This is it right here. Re-recording one of the last really good Gorgoroth albums is loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I really liked Quanto's Possum and Sanitarium Manhunt. Besides it sharing Infernus and Pest, it's a whole seperate beast from Under the Sign of Hell and I can see nothing to gain from a re-recording it or even re-interpretation for that matter. Why risk tarnishing an album's legacy? I say it's better time spent recording new material.