Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Speaking of iTunes... I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but here's the deal. My computer totally flipped out a few weeks ago and I had to reinstall Windows 7. In doing so, I lost my iTunes library and had to start over from scratch. (The iTunes library file had already been "damaged" somehow, so there was no hope of backing it up.) Well, somehow I ended up having to reinstall Windows again yesterday. I hadn't done a backup yet because I was still trying to get my system in order, but unfortunately I had already done quite a bit of iTunes library reconstruction.

The point of this story is, I was in the command prompt before the reinstall trying desperately to save stuff, and I copied the "iTunes" folder (in the My Music directory) to my secondary hard drive. But apparently I copied the folder to a file, so now I just have this thing called "iTunes" with no extension. Looking it up, it seems I should have used the "xcopy" command instead, or maybe just copied the library file on its own. Is there any way to "transform" this file into a folder, or am I just totally boned again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
What command did you use to pull that off?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm pretty sure it was just "copy". Honest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
How big is this 'itunes' file? Same size as your library, or just the 15-20mb of the itunes library file?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just "copy". Honest.

Yes, if you do something like 'copy c:\source d:\backup' and there is a folder called d:\backup then it will copy the files from c:\source into the folder called d:\backup. However, if there is no folder called d:\backup then it will create a file called d:\backup and copy the contents of all the files in the c:\source folder into that destination file.
Either way, it will only copy files from the c:\source folder, and not include any sub-directories.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

_aaron posted:

I've got a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM disc that I bought for my desktop. I'll be ordering a laptop soon (with the same OS), but the manufacturer does not provide an OS disc. Can I use the old disc with the key from the bottom of the laptop to do a clean Windows reinstall?

Quoting this for a new page, since I would like the answer as well. Samsung makes a nice laptop, but the amount of garbage they install before you get it is insanity.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Essobie posted:

Quoting this for a new page, since I would like the answer as well. Samsung makes a nice laptop, but the amount of garbage they install before you get it is insanity.

I'm almost certain you can. After my laptop's install of Vista got borked, I burned a new ISO of Vista and reinstalled it with the CD key printed on the bottom. I can't imagine they've changed their policy in two years; what would be the alternative?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

big mean giraffe posted:

It's instant on my girlfriend's laptop just now. It doesn't take time if your poo poo's already indexed, which it should be.

Don't forget that's the first "performance tweak" that all of the guides recommend (turning off indexing).

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm almost certain you can. After my laptop's install of Vista got borked, I burned a new ISO of Vista and reinstalled it with the CD key printed on the bottom. I can't imagine they've changed their policy in two years; what would be the alternative?

The alternative would be the capitalist practice of charging you to have someone come out and reinstall "their" version of the OS on your machine. Samsung's support basically told me that the first thing I should do when I boot up the laptop for the first time, I should use their backup software to create the two DVDs needed for doing restoration. One of them would be bootable (likely what Win7 is actually on) and then the other would be all the secondary garbage that they install on it... such as their "backup software".

The second alternative would be that the product key doesn't work with any other copies of Win7, in which case if you wanted a completely clean install you'd have to purchase another copy of the OS.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spog posted:

How big is this 'itunes' file? Same size as your library, or just the 15-20mb of the itunes library file?

About 18 MB, which is what I expected. The library file itself is all I need, not the music files/folders, which are on a separate drive.

beuges posted:

Yes, if you do something like 'copy c:\source d:\backup' and there is a folder called d:\backup then it will copy the files from c:\source into the folder called d:\backup. However, if there is no folder called d:\backup then it will create a file called d:\backup and copy the contents of all the files in the c:\source folder into that destination file.
Either way, it will only copy files from the c:\source folder, and not include any sub-directories.

Okay, so I'm not crazy then. Is there any known way to "de-file" (heh) the copied folder? Hex editor or something? Google hasn't really turned up anything because I'm not sure exactly how to phrase the inquiry.

(Although my intent was to also copy the subfolders, they're probably not necessary. The library file would be in the root "iTunes" directory.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

About 18 MB, which is what I expected. The library file itself is all I need, not the music files/folders, which are on a separate drive.

Okay, so I'm not crazy then. Is there any known way to "de-file" (heh) the copied folder? Hex editor or something? Google hasn't really turned up anything because I'm not sure exactly how to phrase the inquiry.

(Although my intent was to also copy the subfolders, they're probably not necessary. The library file would be in the root "iTunes" directory.)

Okay, maybe I am being a bit thick, but I don't see what the problem is here.

You wanted to copy your itunes library file and you have. What's not right?

mine looks like this:

Are you missing the '.xml' suffix?

If so, it is easy to solve, just go to the command prompt in the relevant folder and type 'ren itunes *.xml'

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sir Lemming posted:

:words:

This whole sad saga is why I hate the gently caress out of iTunes and ipods/phones. Lost your iTunes folder on the hdd? Solution? Index what's on the phone and create a new...NO WIPE THE PHONE AND START ALL OVER:rant:

I cannot love my usb storage device mp3 player enough.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

AlexDeGruven posted:

Don't forget that's the first "performance tweak" that all of the guides recommend (turning off indexing).

Is this legitimate? Those guides are usually so full of half-truths and misconceptions that I never actually implement any recommendations.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Essobie posted:

The alternative would be the capitalist practice of charging you to have someone come out and reinstall "their" version of the OS on your machine. Samsung's support basically told me that the first thing I should do when I boot up the laptop for the first time, I should use their backup software to create the two DVDs needed for doing restoration. One of them would be bootable (likely what Win7 is actually on) and then the other would be all the secondary garbage that they install on it... such as their "backup software".

The second alternative would be that the product key doesn't work with any other copies of Win7, in which case if you wanted a completely clean install you'd have to purchase another copy of the OS.
I was told the same thing by a Sony rep - create a recovery disc right away. I definitely don't want to purchase the OS again, because by buying the laptop with Win7 on it, I've already purchased a license to use on that machine.

I've seen hints that what we want is possible, just no real direct confirmation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Veinless posted:

Is this legitimate? Those guides are usually so full of half-truths and misconceptions that I never actually implement any recommendations.

Precisely the point I was trying to make.

He was stating that it only takes a split second if you have indexing on which, if you follow the 'tweaking guides' is one of the first things they tell you to turn off because it "thrashes the hard drive".

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

AlexDeGruven posted:

He was stating that it only takes a split second if you have indexing on which, if you follow the 'tweaking guides' is one of the first things they tell you to turn off because it "thrashes the hard drive".

Phew. I've defaulted to Not loving With It on Microsoft's stuff since XP. Glad to see that Windows 7 is on the same track.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spog posted:

Okay, maybe I am being a bit thick, but I don't see what the problem is here.

You wanted to copy your itunes library file and you have. What's not right?

I copied the iTunes directory. Yet it magically transformed into a file. That's the issue.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ugh. Numerous times have I dealt with people who have Win7 computers with far more resources than they need who just automatically turn off indexing and superfetch because they're "resource hogs" and then they bitch about how slow it is.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sir Lemming posted:

I copied the iTunes directory. Yet it magically transformed into a file. That's the issue.

Directories are files.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone know what this update's about?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902
It's popped up in Windows Update recently as an important update, which isn't automatically selected, and it says there's no going back once you install it - which makes me a little wary. Apparently it's been around since October too, it's only showed up in the past few days on my machines though

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

LooseChanj posted:

Directories are files.

Technically, yes. In user experience, no; Windows and MacOS put a lot of effort into obscuring that.

To the original problem, is there a way to go back to the original drive and just get the library file again? If you can, importing it into a new iTunes install is as dead simple and holding shift when you start iTunes, which prompts you to select a library to use.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Anyone know what this update's about?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902
It's popped up in Windows Update recently as an important update, which isn't automatically selected, and it says there's no going back once you install it - which makes me a little wary. Apparently it's been around since October too, it's only showed up in the past few days on my machines though

Sounds like a newer version of the Windows Installer or other such crap runtime, and that page does claim that it will be required for future service packs. Eh, can it really hurt?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For some reason, MS Word decided to make itself the default program for opening HTML shortcuts and .URL links in my system directory. I managed to change the .HTML back to Firefox with the 'Open with always' setting.

However, .url extensions(like when I click 'Launch Dropbox website') still open with MS Word. Any idea on how to change that? Clicking properties on .URL files doesn't give me an option.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spog posted:

If so, it is easy to solve, just go to the command prompt in the relevant folder and type 'ren itunes *.xml'

So this wasn't quite it, but you did put an idea in my head. When I opened the "iTunes" file in Notepad++ I saw a big garbled header followed by what appeared to be two full XML documents. So I cut and paste the first XML document into its own file and renamed it as appropriate, and imported it into iTunes, and I believe I'm basically back to where I was! So thanks for the XML idea. I'm still not sure why there were two of them. (Also, the header somewhat resembled what an ITL file looks like when I open it, but I'm not sure.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

For some reason, MS Word decided to make itself the default program for opening HTML shortcuts and .URL links in my system directory. I managed to change the .HTML back to Firefox with the 'Open with always' setting.

However, .url extensions(like when I click 'Launch Dropbox website') still open with MS Word. Any idea on how to change that? Clicking properties on .URL files doesn't give me an option.

Control Panel -All Control Panel Items - Default Programs -Set Associations

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Excellent! Worked great, thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

So this wasn't quite it, but you did put an idea in my head. When I opened the "iTunes" file in Notepad++ I saw a big garbled header followed by what appeared to be two full XML documents. So I cut and paste the first XML document into its own file and renamed it as appropriate, and imported it into iTunes, and I believe I'm basically back to where I was! So thanks for the XML idea. I'm still not sure why there were two of them. (Also, the header somewhat resembled what an ITL file looks like when I open it, but I'm not sure.)

I am still a bit unsure how you managed to do this. If I understand, you've managed to copy two files into a single document. I believe you can do this from the command prompt, but it's not something you can do as a simple mistake.

Anyway, glad that it is all working again.

Roving Reporter posted:

Excellent! Worked great, thanks!

Happy to help.

Now, if anyone can help me sort out the right click menu for items, that would be great. I am fed up with 'Scan with Malwarebyte's Anti Malware' and 'Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials' on every bloody thing.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

spog posted:

Now, if anyone can help me sort out the right click menu for items, that would be great. I am fed up with 'Scan with Malwarebyte's Anti Malware' and 'Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials' on every bloody thing.

Head to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers in a registry editor and just delete any keys that you don't want. For example, Security Essentials has a "MSEE" key there.

e:though it seems like MalwareByte's doesn't store its key there. It seems like it can, though, be disabled through the settings in MalwareBytes.

Elizabeth Cluppins fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 14, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

spog posted:

Default Programs Editor provides an easy GUI for that.

Edit: Wait, I don't think DPE can't remove the widespread ones like Malwarebytes. It sounds like it's in the options of Malwarebytes, though.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 14, 2011

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

spog posted:

I am still a bit unsure how you managed to do this. If I understand, you've managed to copy two files into a single document. I believe you can do this from the command prompt, but it's not something you can do as a simple mistake.

Anyway, glad that it is all working again.

Happy to help.

Autoruns (Check the explorer tab)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

kode54 posted:

Sounds like a newer version of the Windows Installer or other such crap runtime, and that page does claim that it will be required for future service packs. Eh, can it really hurt?

I don't know :ohdear: it just seems weird that it's not being pushed out automatically, which implies a bit of 'install at your own risk' even though it doesn't actually warn you anywhere

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
On my Server 2008 R2 box, I have a 4-disk Dynamic Disk RAID array. Whenever I connect after the drives have spun down for power-saving, they spin up again in sequence rather than simultaneously. Any way to change this behavior?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Factory Factory posted:

On my Server 2008 R2 box, I have a 4-disk Dynamic Disk RAID array. Whenever I connect after the drives have spun down for power-saving, they spin up again in sequence rather than simultaneously. Any way to change this behavior?

Isnt that done in the BIOS?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Errrgh, is it? I don't recall seeing any options like that, and the thing's running headless, so it's a pain in the rear end to get to the BIOS.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It seems 7/2008R2 SP1 is now final, and should be turning up in the next few days. This is why that previously mentioned patch from october suddenly became required.

Final build number: 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Factory Factory posted:

Errrgh, is it? I don't recall seeing any options like that, and the thing's running headless, so it's a pain in the rear end to get to the BIOS.

Pretty sure that it is. Usually called staggered spinup or similar.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EoRaptor posted:

It seems 7/2008R2 SP1 is now final, and should be turning up in the next few days. This is why that previously mentioned patch from october suddenly became required.

Final build number: 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850

Any chance of having links to legit ISOs with SP1 already slipstreamed when they emerge? I could have sworn the OP used to have exactly that, but it seems to have disappeared or been modded off

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Pretty sure that it is. Usually called staggered spinup or similar.

I thought that BIOS setting only applied at boot.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Plus, uh, don't hard drives use a lot more current when they're spinning up than when they're running steadily at full speed? Thus, wouldn't spinning them all up simultaneously cause a larger sudden current load on the 12v rail? Just saying.

Then again, I have a pair of drives installed now, and I can't even hear them spinning up on startup, so I don't know whether it's happening simultaneously or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kode54 posted:

Plus, uh, don't hard drives use a lot more current when they're spinning up than when they're running steadily at full speed? Thus, wouldn't spinning them all up simultaneously cause a larger sudden current load on the 12v rail? Just saying.

Then again, I have a pair of drives installed now, and I can't even hear them spinning up on startup, so I don't know whether it's happening simultaneously or not.

Yeah, spinning up on any magnetic drive is a signficantly higher load, something like maybe a couple amps instead of half an amp while running on a 7200RPM drive. I remember reading it could be a concern in systems with borderline-capacity PSUs.