Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Only the passenger side has a rear door. There are 3 doors (not including the hatch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

squirrelBitten posted:

Also introduced at Detroit: the new A6, which looks like every other Audi today. Except for the rear. Dear god that rear. What the hell were Audi designers thinking?

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Click here for the full 1280x852 image.

Oh dear this truly is awful. Its like an Evo X but much worse.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
For some reason, it really reminds me of an Edsel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three doors? Didn't Saturn pull this trick already?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That's cool but I'd be really scared to ride unless that flywheel case is really thick.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh cool I've always wanted to sit next to what looks like an atomic bomb while driving.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's a flux capacitor :haw:

kimbo305 posted:

Hold on Hyundai, I don't think some people are done reeling from the Juke yet:
http://jalopnik.com/5728965/hyundai-curb-tries-too-hard-to-be-cool

Actually, I like the Juke and don't mind this one, except for that godawful C-pillar.
It reminds me of an LFA for some reason...well if they squished it and did a whole bunch of poo poo to it.

In other news, apparently the Mini Paceman got green lit for production. Bunch of pics from the earlier PR announcement of the concept here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/12/18/world-debut-the-mini-paceman-crossover-coupe/

I guess it's a coupe-ified Countryman or something? Same length apparently, just a lot squatter. Took me a while to get used to the Countryman's look, pretty weird seeing the same front end on a lower flatter car now.

Meanwhile there's the Dakar Countryman, it was apparently doing well (top 10 finishes), then on a practice run...:psyboom:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That poor mini looks like it was parked in detroit overnight.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

japtor posted:

I guess it's a coupe-ified Countryman or something? Same length apparently, just a lot squatter. Took me a while to get used to the Countryman's look, pretty weird seeing the same front end on a lower flatter car now.

Wow, the Mini has gone beyond ridiculous and is now coming out of its own rear end in a top hat. It's like the M C Escher car.

The Mini clubman already has a greater track width and height than my E30 touring. The E30 only has a couple of inches on it in wheelbase (100 to 102 or something). Now there will be a "mini" coupe with similar dimensions. The stupidity factor involved is just colossal.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Rhyno posted:

I like obvious three doors like this. It screams, 'Get in on the passenger side like you're supposed to, you stupid fucks!' to everyone who decides to bum a ride off me. No, you are not getting in on the driver's side. First, the seat doesn't really allow for it like the passenger side does and second, I'm not readjusting my seat just for you.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

squirrelBitten posted:

Also introduced at Detroit: the new A6, which looks like every other Audi today. Except for the rear. Dear god that rear. What the hell were Audi designers thinking?

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Naky posted:

I'm not readjusting my seat just for you.
:hfive: Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

I've been known to call shotgun in my own car.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Naky posted:

I'm not readjusting my seat just for you.

japtor posted:

:hfive: I tell people the latch that flips the drivers side seat forwards is broken.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Saga posted:

Wow, the Mini has gone beyond ridiculous and is now coming out of its own rear end in a top hat. It's like the M C Escher car.

The Mini clubman already has a greater track width and height than my E30 touring. The E30 only has a couple of inches on it in wheelbase (100 to 102 or something). Now there will be a "mini" coupe with similar dimensions. The stupidity factor involved is just colossal.
To be fair, the E30 is a quarter-century old car, so the comparison's kind of moot.

That said, the fact they decided to go to the Mini and expand it into a bigger new model was pretty eye-rolling.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's actually a shorter (in height) model...of the bigger model :psyduck:. I vaguely remember rumors of them working on a smaller (than the Cooper) model, not sure what's happening with that, if anything.

I'm just wondering how many models they plan to have before killing something off...and if they're going to call everything a "Cooper" still (i.e. Clubman is technically "Cooper Clubman", Countryman is "Cooper Countryman", etc), it drives me nuts.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Q_res posted:

For some reason, it really reminds me of an Edsel.

Shrinking the width of the grille Edsels-up the front. Pierced 4 times for her pleasure.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

japtor posted:

It's actually a shorter (in height) model...of the bigger model :psyduck:. I vaguely remember rumors of them working on a smaller (than the Cooper) model, not sure what's happening with that, if anything.
That is still happening with the Coupe and Roadster as well as an even smaller city car to be introduced as a concept in a couple months. I think Mini making larger cars to satisfy people with that type of need means they are more likely to make smaller cars as well since they don't have to make one car to please everybody anymore. Larger being a relative term, since the Countryman is actually the same length as a Honda Fit.

BTW, Cooper and Cooper S are technically trim levels. Europe has the One, First, and Cooper D as well.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
New Camaro Z/28 Confirmed!

quote:

This just in from BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet, who has just attended a National Chevrolet Dealer's meeting where among other things, the upcoming Camaro Z28 was confirmed and discussed!

Here are the confirmed details from the meeting:

• 2012 Camaro Z28 production begins January 1, 2012
  • Internally referred to as the "HP Model"
  • 6.2L supercharged engine
  • Magnetic Ride suspension
  • 285F / 330R tires
  • Hood design to have louvre/slat design seen in spy photos (dealers in attendance were shown a gray Z28 model)
  • Slight (not major) updates to the interior, with some brighter trimwork

As for the 2012 Camaro generally, the 45th anniversary edition (which we discussed here) will be for both coupe and convertible models. It will come in carbon flash color with all black interior and unique wheels.

Man, I'm SUPER excited for this. I really thought we'd be seeing these on the road this year, but this gives me a bit more time to adjust to what I'm sure will be a crazy price tag. Those are some fat rear end rear tires, too! Holy crap. I wonder how well the adjustable suspension will work.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The thing actually looks really cool and funky in person. Its certainly not for everyone, admittedly, but I really dig it. Getting into the back is a goddamn bitch though, especially if you're not 5'5". My 6'4" self was getting in for the sake of science, and while taking great care to not bash my dome, I bashed my rear end on the edge. Hurt like a bastard for a few hours.

The wackiest thing is probably the asymmetrical doors. The driver's side door is huge like a coupe's, the passenger side is normal sedan size. Can't wait to see how it drives.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
How is it size wise compared to a CRX or even an Accent hatch?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How is it size wise compared to a CRX or even an Accent hatch?

Its a pretty small car. Specs say its a couple of inches shorter than an Accent and slightly wider than an Elantra. They made good use of space inside though, the front two seats are pretty spacious. poo poo for room in the back, but that's to be expected.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

hedge posted:

I like it. It sort of has a 370Z vibe going for it from the side.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

redscare posted:

Its a pretty small car. Specs say its a couple of inches shorter than an Accent and slightly wider than an Elantra. They made good use of space inside though, the front two seats are pretty spacious. poo poo for room in the back, but that's to be expected.

That's good - we need more small cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had an Accent rental the other day and was pleasantly surprised, so if they actually work on making the Veloster or whatever the gently caress it's gonna be called decent to drive I could be tempted as a commuter car FOR SURE.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so I'm assuming this will be replacing the Accent? or will it be a "sporty" alternative to?

squirrelBitten
May 12, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

so I'm assuming this will be replacing the Accent? or will it be a "sporty" alternative to?

This is a supplement to the Accent. The next-gen Accent was announced in Montreal (not that any news sites picked up on it yet...). Here's the only shot of it I could find: http://yfrog.com/h2dc4rtj .

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

squirrelBitten posted:

This is a supplement to the Accent. The next-gen Accent was announced in Montreal (not that any news sites picked up on it yet...). Here's the only shot of it I could find: http://yfrog.com/h2dc4rtj .

That's really nice, especially for an Accent but IMO the Veloster, Elantra and that Accent look way too similar. At least the front ends do.

E: Baby GTR grill on that Accent like woaw/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I didn't realize it earlier, but that silver one is actually matte gray and the color will be available from the factory. :aaa:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

MrSaturn posted:

Man, I'm SUPER excited for this. I really thought we'd be seeing these on the road this year, but this gives me a bit more time to adjust to what I'm sure will be a crazy price tag. Those are some fat rear end rear tires, too! Holy crap. I wonder how well the adjustable suspension will work.

It will be interesting to see this work out as its going to pretty much have a lot that the CTS-V does currently and that starts in mid 60s.
I think people thinking this will be 40K are in for a surprise when there is no way on that.
GM would mess up Vette sells if they found a way to offer a 550HP Camaro with Magnetic Ride at a lower price than a base Vette goes for. Dont see that happening.

I also wonder which Tranny options it will be available with?
CTS-V comes with stick and lovely 6 speed Auto so maybe this will be the same.
If it comes with the same Auto tranny, Im going to be pissed when I go used car shopping for a Z28 in a few years since so many of the drat things will turn up with the auto.
Im running into that a lot now trying to track down used V2 CTS-Vs :(

klyman
Oct 16, 2008

hedge posted:

I didn't realize it earlier, but that silver one is actually matte gray and the color will be available from the factory. :aaa:

So not only do they take the 3 door cue from Saturn but now they're making plastic body panels too?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's matte paint!

MrSaturn posted:

Next year? It seems like the Z/28 has been rumored forever, I would have thought it's much closer to production.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Franco Caution posted:

It will be interesting to see this work out as its going to pretty much have a lot that the CTS-V does currently and that starts in mid 60s.
I think people thinking this will be 40K are in for a surprise when there is no way on that.
GM would mess up Vette sells if they found a way to offer a 550HP Camaro with Magnetic Ride at a lower price than a base Vette goes for. Dont see that happening.

Yeah I agree. I thought for a second I was reading specs for a ZR1 or a Z06...kind of odd.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

klyman posted:

So not only do they take the 3 door cue from Saturn but now they're making plastic body panels too?

No they're not

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

redscare posted:

No they're not

I think it was just a bad attempt at a troll.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/build_your_own.html

I built a brown fiat 500 with a racing stripe.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

O MA LAWD

http://jalopnik.com/5739585/ferrari-ff-four-wheel-drive-four-seats-one-fantastic-rear-end

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes please.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's like a sexy four-seater version of the clown shoe.

I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Loads of people are spouting off that it's ugly. What on earth!
One of the nicest cars I've seen in ages!