Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
New Burzum-album announced

quote:

The Fallen is the 9th studio album from Burzum, and follows the highly critically acclaimed 2010 release Belus which put Burzum straight back at the at the top of the chain as of one of the most innovative and creative metal artists of our time. Fallen follows Belus in sound and structure, and can also be compared to the music on the groundbreaking DET SOM ENGANG VAR. Fallen is more dynamic and hard hitting then Belus and has an even bigger sound, but still carries the same trademark melodic melody lines throughout that makes Burzum sound so iconic and unique.

Burzum says of the new album and his style of music:
"Musically FALLEN is like a cross between BELUS and something new, inspired more by the debut album and DET SOM ENGANG VAR than by HVIS LYSET TAR OSS or FILOSOFEM. The sound is more dynamic – we mastered the album as if it was classical music – and I was more experimental than I was on BELUS in all respects. Lyric wise it is similar to the debut album, in the way that it is more personal and focuses on existential issues, but the mythological undertone known from BELUS is still there. I have also included some ambient tracks – a short introduction and a longer conclusion."

Not gonna lie, I'm excited about this. I actually thought Belus was quite good, with a couple of great tracks.

Tracklist for Fallen:

I. Fra Verdenstreet (From the World Tree)
II. Jeg faller (I'm Falling)
III. Valen (The Vale? [not quite sure how to translate this one])
IV. Vanvidd (Insanity)
V. Enhver til Sitt (Each to Their Own)
VI. Budstikken (The Messenger-Stick)
VII. Til Hel og tilbake igjen (To Hel and Back Again)

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

ElectricWizard posted:

I actually thought Belus was quite good, with a couple of great tracks.

I liked Belus, and I always liked Det Som Engang Var a lot. But I have a serious problem once an established Black Metal artist starts up-talking a new scheduled release. I usually anticipate disaster. He's getting a little lazy on the song names.

I think 'Valen' is either 'the fields of battle' or 'the fallen warriors'.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 13, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I liked Belus, but the way he scream/whispered it kind of annoyed me. The guitar tone in Kaimadalthas Nedstigning during the chorus is loving amazing though. Varg really has an ear for making some interesting simple guitar parts, like every single riff in Jesus Tod.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Plasma1010 posted:

I think 'Valen' is either 'the fields of battle' or 'the fallen warriors'.

I'm Norwegian, and 'Valen' isn't really a normal word. Vale is one of Loke's sons in Norse mythology though, so I guess that's what the title references.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Can't wait for new Burzum. Loved Belus. My favorite BM record of 2010.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

pugna posted:

RE: Hate Forest. I love them to bits. I'd recommend (in order) The Most Ancient Ones, Purity, Sorrow, Battlefields, then all the EPs and compilations.

The first track on The Most Ancient Ones, 'To the Thickets and Swamps', is quite incredible. When it kicks in at ~40seconds with the drumming and just the riff it properly sends shivers down my spine.

I bought it on vinyl (it was the only metal record at the store I was at) on a whim when I first got into metal, and it loving blew my mind. So drat heavy. I wish I didn't sell it for cig/beer money.

Why the hell can't Varg write something new? At least don't go out and say it sounds exactly like your old albums from the get go

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 14, 2011

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm Norwegian, and 'Valen' isn't really a normal word.

Not used very much in modern Norwegian but it means "the field of battle". The most famous use of it is probably in the Norwegian lyrics to the Internationale, a translation dating back to the first decade of the 20th century. Comes from the same root word as we find in Valhall and Valkyrie.

(It can also mean "shallow-water bay" and is a place name and family name, etc. But I'd guess the song is probably not about the late avant-garde atonal polyphonic composer Fartein Valen. Although it could be.)

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Groke posted:

Not used very much in modern Norwegian but it means "the field of battle". The most famous use of it is probably in the Norwegian lyrics to the Internationale, a translation dating back to the first decade of the 20th century. Comes from the same root word as we find in Valhall and Valkyrie.

That makes sense and I feel stupid for not thinking of it. Hopefully the album will actually expand on the old sound and not just Varg trying to recreate Hvis Lyset Tar Oss with better production.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 14, 2011

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I just hope he'll shell out for a better keyboard if he's going to insist on those loving ambient tracks. Musical birthday cards sound more like instruments than what he did back then.

My completely baseless opinion is that I won't like it as much as Belus, which I think is as good as his old poo poo in a different way.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Morbid Florist posted:

I just hope he'll shell out for a better keyboard if he's going to insist on those loving ambient tracks. Musical birthday cards sound more like instruments than what he did back then.

He just needs to start using Omnisphere like the rest of the modern world does.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Plasma1010 posted:

He just needs to start using Omnisphere like the rest of the modern world does.

I'd rather listen to him bang away on that old radio shack piece of poo poo than have him start using goddamn software. Computers and black metal have nothing to do with each other. :colbert:

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd rather listen to him bang away on that old radio shack piece of poo poo than have him start using goddamn software. Computers and black metal have nothing to do with each other. :colbert:

Would you settle for a Block of Wood and a Glockenspeil ?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So all of yall should listen to this http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/album/sepulchre

It's the Megiddo guy doing full on crusty Venom worship.

He's apparently still also working on getting out the next Megiddo album "Holocaust Messiah" so that should be really good as well.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

So all of yall should listen to this http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/album/sepulchre

Yes, this is awesome. Excellent description, that's exactly what it sounds like.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

MrBling posted:

It's the Megiddo guy doing full on crusty Venom worship.

He's apparently still also working on getting out the next Megiddo album "Holocaust Messiah" so that should be really good as well.

Fantastic! I need to hear the rest of it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fingers McGee posted:

Fantastic! I need to hear the rest of it.

I'm fairly sure that it is, unfortunately, all of it. So far at least.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Oh also, check out this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYREoNA05x0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FdIrzPdrGo

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Thanks so much for posting this, I've been looking for a band/group that really replicates the sound of Behemoth's Pure Evil and Hate because I absolutely loving LOVE that song.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBling posted:

ruins

This is pretty awesome.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Here have a song (crossposted from the other metal thread)

From an album I'm working on. Lo-fi sad black metal to sit in a forest to. Enjoy.

Lofn
Jan 3, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Here have a song (crossposted from the other metal thread)

From an album I'm working on. Lo-fi sad black metal to sit in a forest to. Enjoy.

At first it has no discernible black metal qualities. However, once it breaks down it is reminiscent of an upbeat Burzum. Are the vocals your own? I like them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lofn posted:

At first it has no discernible black metal qualities. However, once it breaks down it is reminiscent of an upbeat Burzum. Are the vocals your own? I like them.

Everything on it's me, yep.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
There was a new Draugnim album last year and no-one told me? And a new A Forest of Stars too?? :argh:

Has anyone listened to either and can tell me whether they're worthwhile or not?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

There was a new Draugnim album last year and no-one told me? And a new A Forest of Stars too?? :argh:

Has anyone listened to either and can tell me whether they're worthwhile or not?

On first listen of the Draugnim album it feels like more of the same slow-tempo trudging black metal that their last cd was. It's good though. The production is different from their first album, it's more leaning towards the thin black metal style.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

On first listen of the Draugnim album it feels like more of the same slow-tempo trudging black metal that their last cd was. It's good though. The production is different from their first album, it's more leaning towards the thin black metal style.

If you listened to the Sword to Waves demo, am I right in assuming they've gone away from that kind of thing? Boo, if so. I liked the layered, thick sound. I felt they went too clean on the first album's production. :/

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 20, 2011

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
yea, it's the same old story: better to listen to on a weak car stereo, boring on headphones. Still decent, not as interesting as their first, which isn't as interesting as their demo.

In other news, I just got my Marrow of the Spirit limited bundle from Viva Hate! today! after a month and a half!

edit: christ almost two months

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hope you enjoy it, Scrambles. I've heard some people disappointed by it, and it isn't as good as Ashes or The Mantle. But on the other hand, if as good as Ashes or Mantle was my way of deciding whether something is worth listening to or not, I would not have much music.

if you'll excuse my extreme pretentiousness for saying it this way, I think the production made it a lot different. Most Agalloch music feels like Winter music. Marrow feels more like Fall music. I tried to explain it more thoroughly, but ended up using a lot of words to say nothing. Hopefully you can tell what I'm saying.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Agalloch's doing an East Coast tour with Worm Ouroboros

03/17 – Austin, TX @ Barbarella Patio (as part of the Nanotear Showcase at SXSW)
03/18 – New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
03/19 – Atlanta, GA @ The Earl
03/20 – Raleigh, NC @ King’s Barcade
03/21 – Baltimore, MD @ The Sonar
03/22 – New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
03/23 – Cambridge, MA @ Middle East
03/24 – Montreal, QC @ TBA
03/25 – London, ON @ The Music Hall
03/26 – Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
03/27 – Chicago, IL @ Reggie’s Rock Club

And they're confirmed for Scion Rock Fest in Pomona

(cross posted to metal thread)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So I'm not a huge black metal fan but I'm doing a metal playlist next week for my bowling league and there are definitely some folks who will want to hear some. Can anyone recommend a couple of shortish tracks? Looking for anything from 2000-present (theme of the playlist is metal for the new millenium) and anything <6:00. Thoughts? In other words, if you were bowling and drinking and against all odds a BM song came on the jukebox, what would you be most psyched to hear (within criteria above)?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

rivetz posted:

So I'm not a huge black metal fan but I'm doing a metal playlist next week for my bowling league and there are definitely some folks who will want to hear some. Can anyone recommend a couple of shortish tracks? Looking for anything from 2000-present (theme of the playlist is metal for the new millenium) and anything <6:00. Thoughts? In other words, if you were bowling and drinking and against all odds a BM song came on the jukebox, what would you be most psyched to hear (within criteria above)?

That's a tough one, off the top of my head most definitely Nachtmystium's Ghosts of Grace and Your True Enemy. Those are both killer tracks and I already blast them when I am drinking. Watain's Sworn to the Dark is a good one too. It has a great chorus which you just can't help but scream along with it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 20, 2011

Axolotl Atlatl
Mar 19, 2009

It's the truth, mang.
Just ask your pop.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

03/18 – New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
:hawaaaafap:
And here I was, just this morning, lamenting that there was nothing coming up on NOLAUnderground that I'd wanna see...

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

rivetz posted:

Absu's "Pillars of Mercy" is a pretty crushing track, and Gorgoroth's "Litani Til Satan" is a rolling, grinding song. The following track on that album, "Unchain My Heart" has some interesting time signature changes. I dunno, it's tough to throw out songs, you might be better just jumping around a Pandora or last.fm station and seeing what comes up.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

rivetz posted:

Dimmu Borgir - Dodsferd

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 21, 2011

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

rivetz posted:

You could try giving Impaled Nazarene a go, they make pretty fun black metal. Give the song 'Humble gently caress of Death' a listen and see if you dig it.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Dimmu? Impaled Nazarene? At least recommend bands that are worth two shits guys.[/smug]

Go for Inquisition's 2010 release (Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm... yes it's a mouthful), specifically track 3 (Desolate Funeral Chant; 7:03) as it has this beautiful drone to it. I know it's a little past your specified time allotment, but the track is very mesmerizing. Track 8 (Hymn for a Dead Star; 3:13) is fantastic as well, the opening riff sounds like a psychotic waltz.

If you want to go with some general Belphegor, I recommend Diaboli Virtus in Lumbar Est (3:47, 2003). Belphegor has some damned good songs on most of their albums though.

If you like the Absu recommendation (you better like the Absu recommendation :argh:) then i'll also propose Morrigan's song Ashes to Ashes, Lust to Lust (5:41; 2001). A quick description of this track is essentially that Absu track combined with some excessively old-style Slayer riffage.

Grand Belial's Key has always been a hilarious/fantastic band, unfortunately, they have a tendency on Judeobeast Assassination to have a moderately speedy song devolve into very slowly paced interludes; this is why I am recommending the song In Rapture by the Fenrir Moon off of Castrate the Redeemer. This track doesn't delve into anything like that and it is quite short to boot (2:26)

If all else fails you can pick up something from the last two Marduk albums.

If you want fast/aggressive/fun though, I would throw some blackened thrash into the mix.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hey shutup, Impaled Nazarene are bad-rear end :( In terms of thrashy punky fun black metal, you can't really go wrong with them

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Early Impaled Nazarene rules, pity it's well before 2000. New stuff is useless.

Anyway, keeping to your sub 6min rule:

Destroyer 666 - Ride the Solar Winds
Gospel of the Horns - Absolute Power
Witchaven - Black Thrash Assault
Flagellator - To Hell's Servants
Nifelheim - Bestial Avenger
Desaster - Nekropolis Karthago
Vomitor - Midnight Madness
Inquisition - Hail the King of All Heathens

Black thrashing loving madness. Every single one of these tracks is heavily thrash influenced and moves at an aggressive pace.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Gonna throw in:

Carpathian Forest - Nuclear loving Death Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90c9RX4RN0

1349 - Sculptor of Flesh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aEI6rkmQsQ

Anaal Nathrakh - The Destroying Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFfyztUcVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gently caress yeah Anaal Nathrakh. Anything from Eschaton is amazing.